Am I the only person who liked/likes Trahearne? :(

Cynder.2509

I don't care much for most of the story characters (too bad the GW heroes were better written than these characters). Trahearne was one of the few that was ok.

The one I really don't like is the drunk Norn, I forget his name. I never noticed him until Grothmar Valley, and I took an instant dislike to him.

Never had any major issue with him. His dialogue delivery was a bit off at times, but his character was otherwise fine. To be honest I've not been overly invested in many Sylvari characters beyond Canach and Faolain (who was under developed sadly as a antagonist), but I can't say I disliked Trahearne either.

@"Uden Reavstone.3426" said:I neither like nor hate. What I don't understand though is how people came to the conclusion that he "got all of the credit and glory for killing Zhiatan." I've been playing since the betas and I've never once seen him take credit for that.

Because like most things (esp on the internet), a few people interpreted his position in the game incorrectly and far too many jumped on the bandwaggon. We've seen it with Scarlet (although criticism of her was entirely justifiable - almost everyone proclaiming her a "Mary Sue" when I bet half prob didn't even understand the term they parroted meant, was annoying), Braham, Taimi and other characters/parts of the game as well.

Some do come up with actually well argued reasons and that's fine, but too many just parrot what is trending and run with it without thinking it. Trahearne did not steal our credit or our thunder. Taking out Zhaitan always was a largely team effort where we ourselves played a central role in most of the heroic set pieces of the campaign and got the credit for it. We even get a heroes welcome at the end (just like in GW1 - I miss those).

• Thanks 1

Trahearne is awesome. But I kinda believe that people who like him are more often the quiet types and don't crawl out of their cave that often (unless they do for a heartfelt and passionate defence of said Firstborn when someone talks bad about him) :D

And did you know he can smile too?Oth0DjS.jpg

• Like 1

I also never had issues with him. Yes, the writing could have been better, but his character arc was pretty good. The ending was awful, though.And he was one of our more reliable NPC friends. When I first played the story, I remember being pretty disappointed in DE. Even after the Zhaitan fight and everything we had been through, they still refused to see the bigger picture in LS2 and went back to their smallscale local stuff. Trahearne, OTOH, didn't have us do chores first before agreeing to join the Summit in the Grove. He just sent a letter and then attended, no drama, no issues about his priorities. Good ally.

Edit: And since PoF I've been pretty worried about his soul, actually. With that soul-eating monster in the Realm of the Lost... I mean, if our death in PoF counted as traumatic, then his death surely qualified for the Realm of the Lost, too. :(We haven't seen or heard anything from him since then, even though ghosts are pretty much a thing. The ghost army against Kralkatorrik was led by Gwen for some reason. Why would she, if the actual founder of the Pact was around? But maybe he wasn't around. Eir and Snaff visited, which was nice, but... I am worried.

I did a poll back in the day and found that those who started with a Sylvari as their first character tended to like Trahearne (about 70%) and those who didn't tended to dislike him (80% or so).

One of the main complaints for non Sylvari was that he just showed up out of nowhere and took over the story but Sylvari characters met him much earlier.

@Fenella.2634 said:

Edit: And since PoF I've been pretty worried about his soul, actually. With that soul-eating monster in the Realm of the Lost... I mean, if our death in PoF counted as traumatic, then his death surely qualified for the Realm of the Lost, too. :(We haven't seen or heard anything from him since then, even though ghosts are pretty much a thing. The ghost army against Kralkatorrik was led by Gwen for some reason. Why would she, if the actual founder of the Pact was around? But maybe he wasn't around. Eir and Snaff visited, which was nice, but... I am worried.

I believe he was strong enough to deal with it. And his death was a nasty kitten but a victory and a great accomplishment at the same time. Reforging Caladbolg probably helped as well (if needed).He didn't show up because he's a wise man and won't go where he's not welcome...

All Trahearne did most of the time was muttering his "This won't end well" phrase and die, stalling the instance. Then you rezzed him and he ran off in the different direction to die there... Then you rezzed him again an he was stuck and did not react at all until you pulled mobs to him to kill and rezz him again... And at least it felt like this for every single instanced story instance he was in.

So basically... it's not a story problem per se. But the gameplay with him was so bad, you really had to build a serious connection to him to be anything but annoyed constantly.

As > @Vayne.8563 said:

One of the main complaints for non Sylvari was that he just showed up out of nowhere and took over the story but Sylvari characters met him much earlier.

The problem with a lot of story characters is that the bond you create is like istantaneous and doesn't feel earned. That being said, I loved Treaharne: he was a Sylvari, born to be a hero, but he didn't just do his Wyld Hunt, his arc (while not well developed) was about transforming a scholar and a thinker in a general. I don't really see him stealing the spotlight, but rather I see how he was the one that made sure that the orders and the character could shine.

• Like 1

I think for the core game and first few seasons of the Living World, the game struggled to really develop their characters. They lacked depths or interactions with the player. Depending on the choices you made, some NPCs died but I struggled to care. For example in the "Against the corruption" mission where Havroun Grechen dies, I think she made a noble sacrifice but I didn't know her so her death had little impact on me. Trehearne fared a little better as he went further in the story but I still feel a bit detached from him. I like the concept of the character and had nothing against him but found him a bit hollow.

I mostly remember him as "let's scatter those foes out of your AoE so you wasted your time packing them and your skill cooldowns for the giggles".That's about all I cared about him. If not for that, I think I would have forgotten him as he's uninterestingly boring to me.

Trahearne himself, wasn't too bad. His voice was very monotonous and he lacked a lot of well... Anything. But being bland isn't bad, it's just bland. There's plenty of people in real life who are just bland and that's fine. He even has a reason for being bland, what with being a bit of a social outcast spending time studying rather than socializing.

My only qualm with him, personally, was when he started calling all the new Sylvari the "Secondborn" because that's not very nice, since it can be interpreted as them being inferior...

Really, outside of that, he's just at the mercy of the poor writing.

He should have shown up to the story for non-Sylvari earlier than when the arc was shifting to his Wyld Hunt. Given his frienship with the Order mentors, it would have made sense for him to show up during the Order quests.

He should not have become the leader of the Pact. Instead, someone with actual military experience should have led, while Trahearne should have been an advisor (Perhaps he could become a leader later in the storyline after a unplanned catastrophe happens and the leader dies and Trahearne ends up being calm and reasonable in the crisis and actually leads the survivors to safety thus gaining their trust in his ability to make decisions about tactics - While being supported by the 3 Order representatives whom can provide him with military based plans) putting him in a similar position to our PC, not at the helm of a military operation that you have no experience in, but still playing an important role.

After the fall of Zhaitan, he should have left the Pact and gone and done something else. Such as researching Scarlet and later Mordremoth. Maybe joining an Order such as the Vigil so he can learn how to actually use his fancy magical sword properly. Anything really, especially if it gives him reason to pop up now and then throughout our journeys as we share information and catch up (You know, more than popping up like twice during LW2 and being like "Hello, I am here." as his entire dialogue across the entire story)

But alas, that didn't happen. So instead, we get a Trahearne who pops up out of nowhere for 4/5 Races PS. Who then gets a fancy magical sword for reasons only really known by Sylvari players whom have the lore of Saladbowl shown throughout their earlier PS quests. Then randomly becomes the leader of a military organization shortly after literally every military personnel scoffed at him trying to provide military advice. Then he basically poofs into the aether until he reappears just to get stabbed in the face by his fancy magical sword.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if players know why they feel something about an opinion. I urge you. To ask yourself that atleast 7 x

Do I dislike traherne?

No. Why? Because met him in my sylvari early days

Why? Because he was only following his wild hunt (Witcher reference)

Why? Because I realized we all had a role to play. His destiny was that and mines something else.

Why? Because what people felt for him could be how others would feel for my room.

Why? Because I empathized and realized. I'll do what is right even if others will judge me.

Why ? Because slaying is all.

Why? Because it makes my character happy.

• Like 1

You're not the only person who likes Trahearne. He's one of my favorite characters! Maybe even my most favorite. I like his voice acting (don't understand how people think it's monotone), his character, and his role in the game. And my first character was a charr and my main is a human, so it's not that I met him as a sylvari PC first. I miss him in the game, and I was very disappointed that Anet gave in to the vocal haters and went the direction they did with him in HoT.

@Fenella.2634 said:Edit: And since PoF I've been pretty worried about his soul, actually. With that soul-eating monster in the Realm of the Lost... I mean, if our death in PoF counted as traumatic, then his death surely qualified for the Realm of the Lost, too. :(We haven't seen or heard anything from him since then, even though ghosts are pretty much a thing. The ghost army against Kralkatorrik was led by Gwen for some reason. Why would she, if the actual founder of the Pact was around? But maybe he wasn't around. Eir and Snaff visited, which was nice, but... I am worried.

Same! We met a sylvari in the Domain of the Lost, so it's possible he could be there. I hope we'll meet him again someday in the Mists.

@anninke.7469 said:Trahearne is awesome. But I kinda believe that people who like him are more often the quiet types and don't crawl out of their cave that often (unless they do for a heartfelt and passionate defence of said Firstborn when someone talks bad about him) ::disappointed:

Well shit, you got me! :3