Canthan Lore with Future elite specs

Lily.1935

@Headcase.4618 said:I posted my ideas for elite specs on another thread, but I will say this; On one hand, I agree that the elite specs in HoT do feel a little random, but on the other hand, I kinda prefer them to not be so tied to a specific region so that they can feel more accessible, lore-wise, so that it can seem plausible for toons not from said region are able to learn (ex. My headcanon forvmy norn firebrand is that he's channeling the history of his ppl instead of Elona). That said, just to completely contradict myself, an idea I support for the ranger elite spec involves them learning how to fight like the warden creatures from Echovald Forest

Not all the elite specs in PoF were directly connected to elona. But I would like most to be. There is the direction of making them thematically broad enough to work for anyone and I think even the ones that are very focused in elona are still pretty broad. Altherr that would help more if these elite specs had a quest giver or some sort of achievement line to unlock them to help your character relate to them better so it doesn't feel so out of place, but I digress.

The elite specs that did not relate to Elona were Holosmith and Renegade specifically for sure. The Holosmith was adaptation of Zephyrite crystal magic tech. Renegade is a bit more cryptic as it seemed to he a relatively new development unlike something like Spellbreaker or Scourge which had established presence in Elona for a long time.

We could have something like that too. I honestly don't think revenant ever should or could relate to the region we're going to and as such discoveries would likely be made through connections with the mists. So it never has to be related.

Guardian is tougher though. It might always have magic related to the region.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is some loose relation between holosmith and Elona. In Elona, the sun and light is worshipped specifically (with references like the Sunspears, for example).So it kinda makes sense that scientists and engineers focused on harnessing the power of the sun and light in general, hence it lead to the development of the hard light technology.

So you can at least see some points which connect holosmith with Elona thematically.In general, it is problematic to have engineer elite specs which are tied to the history of specific regions, since in Guild Wars 1, the technology was not as well developed to give us anything to work with.

So any coming engineer elite spec will just have some thematical references, but no hard ties to the lore like the spellbreaker.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Lily.1935" said:

Well, there is some loose relation between holosmith and Elona. In Elona, the sun and light is worshipped specifically (with references like the Sunspears, for example).So it kinda makes sense that scientists and engineers focused on harnessing the power of the sun and light in general, hence it lead to the development of the hard light technology.

So you can at least see
some
points which connect holosmith with Elona thematically.In general, it is problematic to have engineer elite specs which are tied to the history of specific regions, since in Guild Wars 1, the technology was not as well developed to give us anything to work with.

So any coming engineer elite spec will just have some thematical references, but no hard ties to the lore like the spellbreaker.

They do specifically reference the Zephyrites in the lore for the elite spec. Yes, it does seem to be elonian engineers adapting the technology but it is a hybridization of Zephyrite tech and Elonian tech. As for the sun, there isn't any hard or soft evidence that Elonia worships or worshiped the sun. They do have an affinity for the sun, but that's not quite the same thing. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Baraz_Sharifi

Just wanted to show you that since I don't believe I was a bit off before as I didn't give Elonians as i should have and that's a mistake on my part for sure. It was defiantly a collaborated effort though. Since the Zephyrites provided the crystal magic knowledge and the Elonians adapted it into the photon forge.

For Engineer though in relationship to Cantha, there are paths that can be taken. Signets, which are stored magic spells typically in rings or charms, are something a canthan engineer might use. There is also the idea of Chemistry which would fit well too. However one idea I do particularly like is Corsair. Pirates that have raided the mainland could have access to foreign technology. There is also the possibility that the Canthans have excavated asura, mursaat or seer tech and reverse engineered it. Perhaps even dredge tech since the Dredge are in Cantha, or were. We also can't rule out the possibility of their own innovation either. They did have gunpowder in GW1 so its not unreasonable that they might have made some of the same advances as the rest of tyria.

• 3 years later...