Simple DPS Metre

there is no point discuss is acrdps nice or not. Who want - find and use. We talk about inner way to show current fight dps.

As for me best way show numbers(0-100) and % near each name on party members window on upper left side on each current fight.So now we see class, a little bit lower mastery count, and next row can be % of damage done

@lare.5129 said:there is no point discuss is acrdps nice or not. Who want - find and use. We talk about inner way to show current fight dps.

As for me best way show numbers(0-100) and % near each name on party members window on upper left side on each current fight.So now we see class, a little bit lower mastery count, and next row can be % of damage done

But if we get an inner way to see dps, we most likely lose arc dps just like we lost arc templates(which were alot better than these ones that we have.)

@lare.5129 said:there is no point discuss is acrdps nice or not. Who want - find and use. We talk about inner way to show current fight dps.

So only show the worst aspect of a dps meter instead of the actually useful information. Got it

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:But if we get an inner way to see dps, we most likely lose arc dpsit not comparable. In inner tool we see only % of total damage don of current fight, and on arcdps we have powerful tool to analise aand way to improve.

just like we lost arc templates(which were alot better than these ones that we have.)we lot arc-templates only because this is part of marketing. Nothing personal only businesses. The monetize inner dps tool smell fail and another story.

@maddoctor.2738 said:So only show the worst aspect of a dps meter instead of the actually useful information. Got itwe have 5 members. Start, combat, and we see numbers. I don't worry, if druid do 2% or 5% if see 25might, spirits, ans hp is ok.. I don't worry is chrno do 5% or 7% if see boons .. I start worry if second dps also do 5%.We already have perfect analise tool. So there is no point ask that same from anet.

All that we need - casual number row near mastery on current fight, without any log, history, or etc.

What you are doing is the exact reason why people object to integrating a dps meter into the game - you are looking at what other people are doing so you can find a reason to bang them if they don't meet your arbitrary standards. Thats the least constructive thing you can do with the data it spits out.

Forget what other people are doing and look at what you can do better, before you look to others.

Use it to analyse your own gameplay, which is the greatest benefit of having a personal data collection and logging tool integrated into the game - so everyone has the tools to learn to be a better player in their own time based on real data, not guesses or suspicions.

The only time I look at other people's data is (a) to figure out why they are doing so much better than me and (b) because they asked me and needed help interpreting their logs. The most useful feature is the event logging and the history.

@Besetment.9187 said:What you are doing is the exact reason why people object to integrating a dps meter into the game - you are looking at what other people are doing so you can find a reason to bang them if they don't meet your arbitrary standards. Thats the least constructive thing you can do with the data it spits out.

Forget what other people are doing and look at what you can do better, before you look to others.

Use it to analyse your own gameplay, which is the greatest benefit of having a personal data collection and logging tool integrated into the game - so everyone has the tools to learn to be a better player in their own time based on real data, not guesses or suspicions.

The only time I look at other people's data is (a) to figure out why they are doing so much better than me and (b) because they asked me and needed help interpreting their logs. The most useful feature is the event logging and the history.

100% this.

I realise I'm in the minority here, but as a Mac user who can't run arcdps, I would love to see a personal in-game dps meter offered. But I think it should be just that, personal. I would love to be able to see my own dps stats as I am playing as a way to improve my own game play. That said, I think something like that would need to be implemented/used carefully so it's not used to bash on other people.

@Besetment.9187 said:What you are doing is the exact reason why people object to integrating a dps meter into the game - you are looking at what other people are doing so you can find a reason to bang them if they don't meet your arbitrary standards. Thats the least constructive thing you can do with the data it spits out.

Totally agree. Poor randoms will be held in scrutiny, black listed and kicked out on sight if they play poorly. People might even post screenshots just to humiliate one another.

Of cause there would be benefits such as keeping players in check so they don't slack off. I mean some people actually do eat when playing and you can tell from their drop in dps.

Then again it wouldn't be a benefit if you can't eat when you play!!!

@WastedYears.8934 said:Of cause there would be benefits such as keeping players in check so they don't slack off.I don't even see the problem with slacking and relaxing in a game.If people have a problem with that, they take games more serious than is healthy.Games are meant to relieve stress and have people to kick back.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"WastedYears.8934" said:Of cause there would be benefits such as keeping players in check so they don't slack off.I don't even see the problem with slacking and relaxing in a
game.
If people have a problem with that, they take games more serious than is healthy.Games are meant to relieve stress and have people to kick back.Thank you for the explanation on why you enjoy video games.Other people enjoy them for different reasons.

Saying that someone who enjoys them for different reasons than you is not "healthy" is pretty toxic.

@WastedYears.8934 said:

Totally agree. Poor randoms will be held in scrutiny, black listed and kicked out on sight if they play poorly. People might even post screenshots just to humiliate one another.

Of cause there would be benefits such as keeping players in check so they don't slack off. I mean some people actually do eat when playing and you can tell from their drop in dps.

Then again it wouldn't be a benefit if you can't eat when you play!!!

People can already do this with arcdps and highlight people who are slacking off or performing badly - a simple in game DPS metre also will give an indication if something is up.

Randoms who are performing very badly may be kicked by someone who is running arc (low DPS or boon outputs) or handling a fight badly for obvious reasons.

But this also gives an opportunity to fix stuff and help people !

@Fueki.4753 said:

@WastedYears.8934 said:Of cause there would be benefits such as keeping players in check so they don't slack off.I don't even see the problem with slacking and relaxing in a
game.
If people have a problem with that, they take games more serious than is healthy.Games are meant to relieve stress and have people to kick back.

I got no issue with people relaxing in a game. Fine with players who have lag and not performing well either.

What I do hate is when people try to leech off the efforts of others intentionally.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Thank you for telling others what is healthy and what is not.If people are stressing out over the fact that others play differently, they produce an unnecessary amount of hormones, potentially harming their balance.That's objectively not healthy.

After all this is a "play how you want" game right? Why are you telling others how to play it?As long they do not actively try to impact others' ways to play, I've got no problem with players trying as hard as they want themselves.If one doesn't like how their group plays, they should just leave and make a note (whether it's mental or written out) to not play with those people again. This goes for players of both sides of the argument.

"Keeping players in check" (as WastedYears.8934 called it) is not something that should be done, unless said players expressively agreed to it.It'll merely cause unnecessary stress for both the person demanding better performance from others and people that refuse complying to such (potentially continuous) demands.

Arenanet is better of not forcing such a tool of the entirety of the players base.It'd just serve to widen the hostility between the majority and the top end even more.

@"Besetment.9187" said:What you are doing is the exact reason why people object to integrating a dps meter into the game - you are looking at what other people are doing so you can find a reason to bang them if they don't meet your arbitrary standards.People already will be kicked from normal party. If not - this is only mean that party is not good.The tools can only give some understanding for kicked person. Because now we currently do silent kick without any notes. Some persons write "why? I press buttons" and more easy block them than explain.

@"Fueki.4753" said:If people are stressing out over the fact that others play differentlyIn other words what you are doing is unhealthy since you are the one stressing out over others playing differently here.

As long they do not actively try to impact others' ways to play, I've got no problem with players trying as hard as they want themselves.

Players that don't "try hard" are also actively impacting on how others around them play. As long as those that don't want to "try hard" stay away of most organized groups that have players who want to "try hard" then there is no problem.

"Keeping players in check" (as WastedYears.8934 called it) is not something that should be done, unless they expressively agreed to it.

They agree by joining a group with other players, if they don't want to be checked they should play solo, or only join like minded individuals. In a group setting the performance of an individual heavily impacts on the group as well. It is after all a group activity. Picking up the slack and covering for under-performing players is also not something that should be done, unless the group (or the group creator) expressively says so

It'll merely cause unnecessary stress for both the person demanding better performance from others and people that refuse complying to such (potentially continuous) demands.

That depends on the group and in most cases group requirements are set beforehand. There is no stress involved if players show the proper respect

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Players that don't "try hard" are also actively impacting on how others around them play. As long as those that don't want to "try hard" stay away of most organized groups that have players who want to "try hard" then there is no problem.The only contents that require significant effort are raids, T3+T4 (and CM) fractals, as well as the Boneskinner Strike Mission.Those that want specific builds for their group should write in in their LFG.It might even be more effective, if they play one these builds themselves.If there were no requirements, there is no room to complain.

That depends on the group and in most cases group requirements are set beforehand. There is no stress involved if players show the proper respectMost groups I see don't list any requirements. I don't list any requirements either, yet I keep getting elitists complaining about others.If there are no requirements, the only way to show proper respect is to not complain about others' performance.The absence of an description and of requirements should be equal to be absence of expectations.

@"Fueki.4753" said:The only contents that require significant effort are raids, T3+T4 (and CM) fractals, as well as the Boneskinner Strike Mission.Those that want specific builds for their group should write in in their LFG.It might even be more effective, if they play one these builds themselves.

If there are no requirements but "T4 run" then it means it's a T4 run, not a T4 let's "goof off" or a "training" run. If a run is to be anything other than a successful run, then it will have special notes on the LFG. IF there is nothing special about it, it assumes knowledge of the content in question and expects a "good/smooth" run.

Most groups I see don't list any requirements. I don't list any requirements either, yet I keep getting elitists complaining about others.

You should list "casual run", "everyone welcome run" or something else to differentiate your group from a "let's do T4 run". A group without requirements does have expectations.

The absence of an description and of requirements should be equal to be absence of expectations.

Again, a group without requirements does have expectations, the expectation when you ask for a T4 Fractal run is to have a group that will complete a T4 Fractal run and in no way or form will teach a T4 Fractal run. If I join a group for T4 Fractal run I expect to finish the T4 run, not wipe on the first room for ages. Saying that having nothing in the description means there are no expectations is wrong and maybe if there are enough players like you, the reason we have all the problems with grouping in this game. If I see a listing "T4 FC", I expect to clear all T4s that day, not to try hard with 4 bear-bow Rangers showing their synced Rapid Fire.

If there were no requirements, there is no room to complain.If there are no requirements, the only way to show proper respect is to not complain about others' performance.

Wrong again. Even the most "casual" and "Everyone welcome" groups should have their limitsYou can read an example given here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1250736/#Comment_1250736A simple summary: Thief joins for a Matthias run, stays on top of him auto-attacking, gets poison, never goes to cleanse, causes wipe.

Let's have a few more:I was in a Crucible of Eternity group with a Mesmer that had Twilight. He was very fond of Twilight and wanted to show it off. But he was staying at range, circling around, causing extra red rings to appear (if you've fought Subject Alpha you know what I mean). The person was having their fun, but was griefing everyone else, why should the team put up with it?

The next one is from Slothasor. A random joins and dies on the first pull. We lol, we gg and wait for him to release because he was taking his sweet time. Try number two, he dies on the first pull again. We continue on the fight, but someone puts a poison in the middle, we know it's hard to finish the fight and since it's early we /gg again. Takes him some time to release again. We reach the third try when he dies one more time on the first pull. We continue, reach about the mid point of the fight and joke about a bit, I ask him if he is afk. No response. Eventually I kicked him.

Your idea that groups without requirements should take abuse and grief is beyond words. Your idea that someone needs permission to judge another player is also ridiculous. When someone's "fun", interfere's with my "fun" then I will respond to it, regardless if the group is "Casual" or "Everyone welcome" or it has no requirements. If you don't like to be judged, then don't offer any excuses for it.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:If there are no requirements but "T4 run" then it means it's a T4 run,A simple summary: Thief joins for a Matthias run, stays on top of him auto-attacking, gets poison, never goes to cleanse, causes wipe.The next one is from Slothasor.Those are raids and a T4 fractal, which I specifically listed as part of the contents that need significant effort.

I was in a Crucible of Eternity group with a Mesmer that had Twilight. He was very fond of Twilight and wanted to show it off. But he was staying at range, circling around, causing extra red rings to appear (if you've fought Subject Alpha you know what I mean). The person was having their fun, but was griefing everyone else, why should the team put up with it?Knowing how an encounter works is an entirely different beast from playing the way one wants.Likewise, explaining strategies and abilities of encounters is entirely different from telling someone to abandon their playstyle in favour of some on-paper optimal build.Did your group explain to that Mesmer how Alpha works?If they were just grieving for the sake of grieving or otherwise refusing to try and deal with the encounters' mechanics, kicking them is always an option.There is no need for a DPS meter (which this thread is about) anywhere in this matter.That aside, I've seen more success on Alpha with ranged people than with people trying to stack.

A random joins and dies on the first pull. We lol, we gg and wait for him to release because he was taking his sweet time. Try number two, he dies on the first pull again. We continue on the fight, but someone puts a poison in the middle, we know it's hard to finish the fight and since it's early we /gg again. Takes him some time to release again. We reach the third try when he dies one more time on the first pull. We continue, reach about the mid point of the fight and joke about a bit, I ask him if he is afk. No response. Eventually I kicked him.This sounds like it might have been a raid boss which, again, is content that I agree with requiring effort.For these cases, again, we already have the options to leave groups and kick players.Anti-social behaviour like abusing the system and grieving have nothing to do with whether someone is playing casually or putting in a lot of effort.

Your idea that groups without requirements should take abuse and grief is beyond words.I disagree with such disrespectful behaviour as much as I disagree with people demanding optimal builds for content that doesn't require them.

My points with the absence of requirements was referring to builds people use in content, not to general misbehaviour.For example, if you want only power builds, you should put it in the description.But if you didn't put it in, despite wanting it, you shouldn't complain about the condition Berserker that (hypothetically) joins.

@"Fueki.4753" said:Those are raids and a T4 fractal, which I specifically listed as part of the contents that need significant effort.

Does it matter if it requires significant effort or not? The idea is the same whether you are running Ascalonian Catacombs or Xera, there is some part of the content that does require more attention.

Did your group explain to that Mesmer how Alpha works?

Yes. The answer was "he is too ugly for me to get closer lol". Exact words

As mentioned above, those cases are not related to DPS meters and damage numbers.

You comment was:

I don't even see the problem with slacking and relaxing in a game.If people have a problem with that, they take games more serious than is healthy.Games are meant to relieve stress and have people to kick back.

You made a blanket statement, you saw no problem with someone slacking (in all my examples those responsible were actually slacking), and you said that players that have problem with slackers and take the game more serious are unhealthy. If your entire statement was in regards only to dps meters and damage numbers then it should've been phrased in a way to support that. Nothing is black and white

Same thing with these, arguments as written:

If there were no requirements, there is no room to complain.The absence of an description and of requirements should be equal to be absence of expectations."Keeping players in check" (as WastedYears.8934 called it) is not something that should be done, unless said players expressively agreed to it.

You can complain and act in a group without requirements, a group without description does have expectations, and players should be kept in check regardless if they agree to it or not. In all types of groups. What is debatable is the method of complaining, the extent of the expectations, and how much "in check" players should be. That would certainly depend on the group, how it was formed (LFG listing), the leader, and many other parameters.

@maddoctor.2738I don't think we'll agree on much.

I have no love for DPS meters, nor for the people that judge others purely based on the numbers said meters are spitting out.I'll never have that kind of love.As long as people try to do the mechanics and don't actively try to ruin runs (like the Mesmer and the random you mentioned), I don't mind them.I'll always mind people who complain about non-optimal builds in my groups and squads that I opened.For various reasons I will never play optimally on paper and I will never expect others to do so.

To me, an optimal run is when it has an enjoyable atmosphere (or at least didn't complain), even if I get only one chest from the Icebrood Construct (and yes, that really happened sometimes).

@"Fueki.4753" said:That aside, I've seen more success on Alpha with ranged people than with people trying to stack.

Wait what? Every since pre hot i havent seen a single ranged group that wasn't a full fiesta. It usually dies in 1sec nowadays to melee players. That sentence just proofs that you probably have no idea how the combat works at all and are probably only playing open world which is fine. but please start using arc yourself and you will notice that even in your "all welcome" or open world a few players carry extremely hard. This only works if the content allows for a high percentage of dead weight.

On topic: A damage meter that shows only dps is almost as useful as the bam addon in wow that posted highest crits in chat. The more details the better. Thats the only way to use it to compare different builds/rotations otherwise its really hard to pinpoint issues.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:That aside, I've seen more success on Alpha with ranged people than with people trying to stack.Every since pre hot i havent seen a single ranged group that wasn't a full fiesta.I guess you simply had less luck with the ranged people in CoE.

probably only playing open worldCurrently I mostly do Story (when the Story updates), "exploration", a bit of WvW and one PvP match a day.Back when I played a lot more GW2, I did lots of dungeons, and fractals.I did no small amount of Strike Missions for the five weapon collections of the last update either.

That sentence just proofs that you probably have no idea how the combat works at allExactly what about that sentence proofs anything about my familiarity with the combat system?The fact that the average of ranged people I did CoE with were better at dodging Alpha than the average of melee people?I think I'm sufficiently familiar with the combat to be successful in most of the game's content.

but please start using arc yourself and you will notice that even in your "all welcome" or open world a few players carry extremely hard. This only works if the content allows for a high percentage of dead weight.If you ever see my groups and squads, please don't join.I'd rather not have such a difference in attitudes.

@"Fueki.4753" said:I have no love for DPS meters, nor for the people that judge others purely based on the numbers said meters are spitting out.

I never said anything about judging others purely based on numbers shown on dps meters, not sure what kind of narrative change you want to do here.

As long as people try to do the mechanics and don't actively try to ruin runs (like the Mesmer and the random you mentioned), I don't mind them.

Since you say "as long as", it means there is room for complaining, group expectations and a valid need to keep others in check. Which your absolute statements did not account for.