"No Quarter" [Steel Warband disscussion]

EdwinLi.1284

So by the art we can probably expect Crecia versus Ryland. However, I will like to discuss what may happen to the other members of the steel warband in this story chapter considering this is a Civil War and it is probably expected the Steel Warband to be in it for this storyline.

We got introduced to each member in Epsiode 2.5 but this introduction sets up their character for the story and potential deaths as well.

So who do you think will die in this Epsiode, who may turn to our side, and who may remain with the Dominion?

From the trailer we see a member of the Steel Warband as World Map boss being Vishen Steelshot so it can be assumed she may die in No Quarter.

I suspect a few members may live to join Ryland after finally realizing the error he has made by siding with Bangar but the other half may ended up turning into Icebrood thus it ends up too late for them. I won't speculate which members since we only seen Vishen Steelshot in the trailer.

Well i dont think we kill any of the warband yet.

In my opinion in this chapter or next Ryland kill Bagnar. Or he conspiracy with us to us kill him and can take the control of the new "faction". Why i think that? because in the episode 2.5 Ryland say ""Bangar likes to take risks, if I play my cards well ..." and i dont imagine Ryland as double agent.

I don't expect any Steel Warband deaths. Would be too soon. But I do expect they'll play a role, letting us see them as villains instead of allies, and that there may be a death involved in Episode 4.

@"camboyano.9675" said:In my opinion in this chapter or next Ryland kill Bagnar.Ryland killing Bangar is definitely not out of the question, but I think it's still too early to kill Bangar off. That sounds like either a mid-season event, or a penultimate boss fight/event for the season. We have 8 confirmed episodes via that_shaman, not counting "intermission" releases like Visions of the Past, so that would imply the fate of Bangar and/or Ryland will be closed in either Episodes 4, 7, or 8.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:I don't expect any Steel Warband deaths. Would be too soon. But I do expect they'll play a role, letting us see them as villains instead of allies, and that there may be a death involved in Episode 4.

@"camboyano.9675" said:In my opinion in this chapter or next Ryland kill Bagnar.Ryland killing Bangar is definitely not out of the question, but I think it's still too early to kill Bangar off. That sounds like either a mid-season event, or a penultimate boss fight/event for the season. We have 8 confirmed episodes via that_shaman, not counting "intermission" releases like Visions of the Past, so that would imply the fate of Bangar and/or Ryland will be closed in either Episodes 4, 7, or 8.

I don't know considering antagonist characters that appear in World Map events tend to kick the bucket in the Story mission involved in the same map since the World Map event is the events where they survive then they finally die in the Main story mission side of things.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:I don't know considering antagonist characters that appear in World Map events tend to kick the bucket in the Story mission involved in the same map since the World Map event is the events where they survive then they finally die in the Main story mission side of things.

Not quite universally, but we don't yet know the Steel Warband or any other major character is open world in this release, yet.

I'm hoping for something that feels significant, but more so in terms of the Jormag plot development. That seems unlikely given it's focused the war effort and Charr though. Somekind of new lore bomb. Ultimately I think this will just be the brunt of the Bangar plot line with MAYBE a continuation and finale next episode before we move the plot along to something else.

I really don't see Bangar/Charr continuation throughout the whole season.

Well the worst case happened....

Everyone from Steel Warband is dead being killed off in the Meta event as the Final Bosses while Cinder dies in the Storyline and Ryland has fallen to the Dark Side to a point of no return due to Smodur's action of killing Cinder

All I can say is...

Darn it Smodur!

In the short time we talked a bit and a fight here or there, we rolfstomped the traitor army and are standing on Jormags doorstep.

As expected.

As if a Army of normal charr could stopp us by this point. HA!

But seriosly, that must be a record time in winning a meta in canon.

I honestly found it pretty boring on my first play through. The map is pretty but it feels crazy dead...

The end was kind of cool with some Game of Thrones vibes and the frost legion coming in from the bridge. Ultimately the whole story part just kind of feels like some major filler or they're just pacing the story muchhhh slower than they have previously.

I mean, to summarize, what really happened? We spent the majority of the story just attempting to negotiate with Ryland, Smodur being a dick, we get introduced to the Frost Legion which seemed like it was meant to be a shocker or something and then we're done? I don't know. I'm just not a big fan of this whole civil war plot in general so that might be why.

@Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324 said:Why was Smodur being a major Bangarhead the whole release?

I think they are setting him and Malice up as villains, so they have excuses to kill off all remaining Imperators the game started with.Gaheron already died in Vanilla and now the other three have their turns.Maybe Arenanet has plans to make Crecia the Khan-Ur afterwards.

@"Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324" said:Why was Smodur being a major Bangarhead the whole release?

There's several possibilities, none of which are exclusive:

Although Smodur is established as a progressive charr, the situation we're in now is vastly different than at launch. At launch, charr had enemies on all sides - Flame Legion, ghosts, branded, ogres, and humans - and this was the public reason why Malice and Smodur wanted peace with humans. Smodur has been taking credit for the peace accords, despite the fact that the actions which put everything into play (getting Vigil to retrieve the Claw of the Khan-Ur and give it to Jennah so she could offer it to Smodur to initiate peace talks) was Malice's and Almorra's actions and planning. Since peace with humans, the branded have been wiped out, progress was made against the ghosts, and the Flame Legion are now allied.

On top of that, Smodur's only "rival" in petitioning for the position of Khan-Ur was always Bangar. Now that Bangar is labeled a traitor to the other two imperators post-Bound by Blood, Smodur basically sees the position of Khan-Ur as effectively gained. This is why he goes about ordering other legion soldiers left and right. Which naturally bothers the officers of other legions (as firmly established by Rytlock, who before was working with Smodur as a more-or-less equal due to being a Tribune in another legion).

Another possibility for Smodur's apparent change in personality, is due to whom we're fighting - this is the first time we've seen Smodur's attitude towards "traitorous charr". We never once got to hear his take on Renegades prior to Season 5, and in Bound by Blood, he was pretty bloodthirsty towards the notion of getting to fight Renegades.

Then there's also Ryland himself. Ryland is young, strong, and charismatic. He is quickly showing up to be a rising threat to Smodur's dominance as Khan-Ur. So naturally, Smodur wants to nip this in the bud. Hence his constant regard to dismissing Ryland and the Steel Warband, preferring to just kill them instead of negotiation.

Finally, and most peculiarly, there's the possibility of external interference. Specifically speaking, Jormag. Throughout the episode, Smodur is repeating a key phrase in various wording: "We don't need traitors". He even says this moments before that critical moment in the final instance. If Jormag's been whispering in his mind that he doesn't need traitors, over and over again, well, that'll get to him.

TL;DR

• Change in scenario, leading to peaceful and progressiveness giving way to agressiveness to achieve his goals.
  • Bangar, his only rival, is effectively "out of the picture" and he considers himself Khan-Ur - initiate power tripping.
  • He might simply despise traitorous charr more than anything else.
  • Ryland is an up-and-coming rival that he doesn't want now that Bangar is out of the picture.
  • Jormag influencing.

@"Fueki.4753" said:I think they are setting him and Malice up as villains, so they have excuses to kill off all remaining Imperators the game started with.Gaheron already died in Vanilla and now the other three have their turns.Maybe Arenanet has plans to make Crecia the Khan-Ur afterwards.

I don't think they're setting up Malice as a villain at all. She's yet to act out of the ordinary, and anything "questionable" is literally par the course for a spymaster that Malice is.

IMO, Malice, Crecia, and Ryland are being set up as the potential Khan-Urs. Whether Ryland remains depends on the fate of Smodur and, well, his involvement with our icebrood charr friends. By the end of this episode, I see four fates for Ryland:

1. He becomes icebrood.
  2. He fights Smodur to the death.
  3. He fights Crecia to the death.
  4. Against all odds he manages to calm down after Smodur dies (by anyone's hands) and he rebels against Bangar.

Only in outcome 4 could Ryland become the new Khan-Ur. If it's outcome 3, then either Crecia dies and we kill Ryland and Malice becomes Khan-Ur, or Ryland dies by Crecia's hands and she becomes Khan-Ur.

Or there won't be a new Khan-Ur, and the status quo returns at the end of this.