I openly demand to be released as Commander

Kurrilino.2706

Dear A-Net.

I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places.I didn't ask or would ever accept to be a leader of an army of any kind.

Especially when i have no deciding power at all. Today i had to witness members of my fighting force executing people openly.My character was not able to voice my opinion or order it to stop. This is a game has a teen rating for kitten sakes.

Logan came by and i think he would be the perfect person for this kind of atrocities.

I wish this guild i never wanted to be in and the army i don't like best of luck and will be on my way into the next magical forestto do what i really want to do. Maybe i will build a little cabin right at a lake or a creek.But i will always look out for a damsel in distress like the little cute Asura in GW1 who was sad that his ears where to short to find a mate,going to find some special leafs as prosthetics.

THIS is what i signed for.

Sincerely,a defector (people who played the new map will understand)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:You must be fun at parties.

just as fun, as the story is. a "commander" without ANY authority in important matters. not a hero, or even a character to admire.we are just sidekicks now, running errands to support a corrupt systemthe zone is great, the other content is fine, but the story....ugh

That is the general problem of an MMO - the story has to follow pretty much the same path for everyone, otherwise content wouldn't work very well if people party up but the choices they made up to that point are not compatible.Single player games tend to let one make those choices, because the world is self contained to that single player. But even those tend to have limited choices when it comes to the main storyline.

I have not finished this current episode yet, but if nothing major changed, then your demand has already been answered.The Player Character resigned from their position in the Pact back in Season 3. The title is just a title now, we are no longer in the Pact hierarchy. Formally, the PC is just a guild leader now.

This execution you are talking about: As I said, I haven't played much of the episode yet, but do you mean the one in the beginning? If so, it was not our army. The PC was a commander of the Pact specifically, not of any army they happen to be working with.

I think GW2 has actually a pretty good balance of acknowledging that the PC deals with a lot of major threats, but still doesn't put us in a position where we'd have to have too much decision power logically.

Having beaten the chapter, Smodur just rubbed me the wrong way the whole the way through; I knew he was going to do something stupid...

! I decided to not drop the grenade but did so anyway because of the plot. It almost alludes to the illusion of choice we see every day. We hold the grenade and we'll eventually get tired and drop it...

@Tsakhi.8124 said:Having beaten the chapter, Smodur just rubbed me the wrong way the whole the way through; I knew he was going to do something stupid...

! I decided to
not
drop the grenade but did so anyway because of the plot. It almost alludes to the illusion of choice we see every day. We hold the grenade and we'll eventually get tired and drop it...

! You didn't drop it in that case, Rytlock took it and dropped it.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:You must be fun at parties.

For being a pacifist? What does that have to do with one's ability to have fun?

You're playing a video game where we kill all sorts of humanoids and creatures to level up and progress through the story. That's not pacifism. Again, getting morally outraged because your imaginary video game character did something you didn't like is utter nonsense.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:You must be fun at parties.

For being a pacifist? What does that have to do with one's ability to have fun?

Yeah, I don't think anyone could consider the player character to be a pacifist.

The commander is, and let's be honest here, a mass murderer. This game requires us to kill hundreds if not thousands of sentient creatures.

The only pacifist route would be to never leave the starting instance.

@Kurrilino.2706 said:Dear A-Net.

I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places.I didn't ask or would ever accept to be a leader of an army of any kind.

Especially when i have no deciding power at all. Today i had to witness members of my fighting force executing people openly.My character was not able to voice my opinion or order it to stop. This is a game has a teen rating for kitten sakes.

Logan came by and i think he would be the perfect person for this kind of atrocities.

I wish this guild i never wanted to be in and the army i don't like best of luck and will be on my way into the next magical forestto do what i really want to do. Maybe i will build a little cabin right at a lake or a creek.But i will always look out for a damsel in distress like the little cute Asura in GW1 who was sad that his ears where to short to find a mate,going to find some special leafs as prosthetics.

THIS is what i signed for.

Sincerely,a defector (people who played the new map will understand)

The real issue i have with this is the fact that you knew that when you sighed up for any game that whatever the story you were gonna be giving was the story you were going to play out as. Not at any point was this made unclear, pretending otherwise is retarded. If you dont like the story that is being handed to you dont play it. When at any point were you giving an opinion to decicde where the story goes you been playing this game for 7 years.

I'd like to a see a non-commander story path for alt characters. Shortened story would be fine and maybe have the character orbit around the most current story line going on side missions to clean up in the commander's wake. The character would get to hear the positive and negative views by NPCs of the commander and main NPC characters. They wouldn't have to go all the way back but rather pick up where the current most LW episode when they started that path. Show the commander as a seasoned NPC the way we saw Eir when first creating our commander character.

@"Kurrilino.2706" said:I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.You release is hearby granted. Forging forward please ignore any and all references to Living World in your email.When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places.By all means... the world is all there for you to explore. Feel free. There's treasure just hanging around on chests on the ground almost everywhere you go.I didn't ask or would ever accept to be a leader of an army of any kind.And yet every time we asked for your help you accepted it. When Taimi fired up your communicator, you listened. When letters were sent to your email, rather than ignore them or say "no thanks" you responded in person.Imagine our surprise when after 7 years of responding to our requests, you now decide to say you never asked for it. People have never held back their praise or been stingy with their rewards.You have accepted both happily.But i will always look out for a damsel in distress like the little cute Asura in GW1 who was sad that his ears where to short to find a mate,going to find some special leafs as prosthetics.

THIS is what i signed for.We are sorry you don't have the stomach for the road ahead. Rest assured there are others who do.The are people all across Tyria however, who's hearts can be made full with your desire to help them and we wish you the best.

-Sincerely yoursThe Pact

PS:Please return the Caladbolg to the Pale Tree. She wants a hero with some resolve to wield the weapon

Actually, I agree. From the introduction of Traherne in the Personal Story, right through to now, the player character is nothing more than a sidekick. The "choice" near the end of this living story could have been handled better. But it wasn't. It's like Mass Effect 3's ending all over. Choice never mattered - the story is linear.

@"misterman.1530" said:Actually, I agree. From the introduction of Traherne in the Personal Story, right through to now, the player character is nothing more than a sidekick. The "choice" near the end of this living story could have been handled better. But it wasn't. It's like Mass Effect 3's ending all over. Choice never mattered - the story is linear.Choice never mattered in this or any other theme park MMORPG. Choice is to expensive to develop in a story/narrative driven MMO. It means that massive amounts of work/details/assets go unviewed by significant portions of the audience.The two most notable MMOs that purported to offer choice in the narrative during their pre launch puff pieces, this one and SWTOR, were forced to funnel all choice into a single narrative path.Looking to this genre for "choices that matter" is like asking why there aren't more vegetarian options at Chik-fil-a.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"misterman.1530" said:Actually, I agree. From the introduction of Traherne in the Personal Story, right through to now, the player character is nothing more than a sidekick. The "choice" near the end of this living story could have been handled better. But it wasn't. It's like Mass Effect 3's ending all over. Choice never mattered - the story is linear.Choice never mattered in this or any other theme park MMORPG. Choice is to expensive to develop in a story/narrative driven MMO. It means that massive amounts of work/details/assets go unviewed by significant portions of the audience.The two most notable MMOs that purported to offer choice in the narrative during their pre launch puff pieces, this one and SWTOR, were forced to funnel all choice into a single narrative path.Looking to this genre for "choices that matter" is like asking why there aren't more vegetarian options at Chik-fil-a.

It can be done in a minor way though. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you are given a choice between A or B, and the game definitely needs A, but you choose B, they simply tie up that loose end prior to ending the story instance. For instance, they can change some dialog, make a few minor adjustments to the reactions of various NPCs, but ultimately, it ends up the same as if you chose A. At least that gives a semblance of "choice". Obviously, we can't change the outcome of the story in any fundamental way.

@Solvar.7953 said:That is the general problem of an MMO - the story has to follow pretty much the same path for everyone, otherwise content wouldn't work very well if people party up but the choices they made up to that point are not compatible.Single player games tend to let one make those choices, because the world is self contained to that single player. But even those tend to have limited choices when it comes to the main storyline.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

MMO should avoid making the players part of the main cast of protagonists, or at least not having any authority.This way, the players characters are only witnessing other with higher authority making decisions.

@misterman.1530 said:

@misterman.1530 said:Actually, I agree. From the introduction of Traherne in the Personal Story, right through to now, the player character is nothing more than a sidekick. The "choice" near the end of this living story could have been handled better. But it wasn't. It's like Mass Effect 3's ending all over. Choice never mattered - the story is linear.Choice never mattered in this or any other theme park MMORPG. Choice is to expensive to develop in a story/narrative driven MMO. It means that massive amounts of work/details/assets go unviewed by significant portions of the audience.The two most notable MMOs that purported to offer choice in the narrative during their pre launch puff pieces, this one and SWTOR, were forced to funnel all choice into a single narrative path.Looking to this genre for "choices that matter" is like asking why there aren't more vegetarian options at Chik-fil-a.

It can be done in a minor way though. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you are given a choice between A or B, and the game definitely needs A, but you choose B, they simply tie up that loose end prior to ending the story instance. For instance, they can change some dialog, make a few minor adjustments to the reactions of various NPCs, but ultimately, it ends up the same as if you chose A. At least that gives a semblance of "choice". Obviously, we can't change the outcome of the story in any fundamental way.Sure, and this game has a long proud history of "Semblance of choice".I can choose an order to join at level 30... but regardless which one I choose, my mentor is going to die in exactly the same way at Claw Island.I can choose my class during character creation and end up in a jail in Istan in LW4.1. The way I break out of that jail may change depending on that choice at character creation, but I am still getting out of that cell.But actual choice?The OP in this thread has a choice. They can put themselves in the "On rails" personal story or just go RP his character out in the open world doing exactly what he said he wanted to do in the first post."When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places."That choice has always been there. They are just upset that the personal story didn't choose to
make
them do it.The sweet irony of the MMO fan.