I openly demand to be released as Commander

Kurrilino.2706

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kulvar.1239 said:MMO should avoid making the players part of the main cast of protagonists, or at least not having any authority.This way, the players characters are only witnessing other with higher authority making decisions.MMO players should stop talking in absolutes about what MMOs should do.MMOs by their nature need to offer a wide breadth of content to the player in order to be profitable not just conform to @Kulvar.1239 's head cannon.

@Kurrilino.2706 said:Dear A-Net.

I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places.I didn't ask or would ever accept to be a leader of an army of any kind.

Especially when i have no deciding power at all. Today i had to witness members of my fighting force executing people openly.My character was not able to voice my opinion or order it to stop. This is a game has a teen rating for kitten sakes.

Logan came by and i think he would be the perfect person for this kind of atrocities.

I wish this guild i never wanted to be in and the army i don't like best of luck and will be on my way into the next magical forestto do what i really want to do. Maybe i will build a little cabin right at a lake or a creek.But i will always look out for a damsel in distress like the little cute Asura in GW1 who was sad that his ears where to short to find a mate,going to find some special leafs as prosthetics.

THIS is what i signed for.

Sincerely,a defector (people who played the new map will understand)

Don't play story then. Problem solved.

I don't recall us leading an army recently. Smodur led this attack and it was repeatedly stated we were just soldiers following orders. Even against Kralkatorrik and Joko we weren't leading an army, just small scale groups of usually our Guild.

@Kulvar.1239 said:MMO should avoid making the players part of the main cast of protagonists, or at least not having any authority.This way, the players characters are only witnessing other with higher authority making decisions.

I do agree with this. Lotro does it as do some other MMO's and it feels more natural. There we tend have the story weave in and around us rather than us define it like here.

@"Fueki.4753" said:If not Commander, what should the NPCs call you?Dragon Slayer?God Stomper?

or maybe...

Poobah?

My friends call me...................Tim.

I've shared this story before, but one of the things I do like about GW2 is being the 'commander'. Back when I played WoW, upon the release of the third expansion, Wrath of the Lich King, I remember going to the port in Stormwind to take the boat to Northrend, the new map. To do this I had to talk to an NPC sitting behind a table, where 'new recruits' to the army were lined up. I distinctly remember standing there, as someone who was on a server leading raiding guild, who had defeated the raid bosses in previous expansions, and just thinking: "stand in line with the recruits? DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

So when NPCs call me the commander, dragon slayer, god killer, etc etc, I appreciate the continuity.

Maybe in Guild Wars 3. The game is 8 years old. If they ever need to acknowledge the commander's accomplishments in the future, it would be easy for them to do with how things are now.

They really should've started our characters off easy, though. Our characters are so high up the ranks that they should be at a desk filing paperwork by now. Incoming desk job story mission!

@"Randulf.7614" said:I don't recall us leading an army recently. Smodur led this attack and it was repeatedly stated we were just soldiers following orders. Even against Kralkatorrik and Joko we weren't leading an army, just small scale groups of usually our Guild.

Yeah, if you want you can say we're an elite group of adventurers that help against the dragons and other threats. Or you can say we're insufferable busy bodies that should have been arrested years ago. I'm sure a lot of the people we meet view us as a little bit of both.

Imagine Scooby Doo and the gang solving mysteries but also, ya know, murdering people. That's us.

However, we're not responsible for the actions of Smodur or any of the other military leaders. We're not part of that military or even the pact any more, we're just the commander because it's easier than coming up with another one-size-fits-all honorific especially because having NPCs calling us "boss" was cringy.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I don't recall us leading an army recently. Smodur led this attack and it was repeatedly stated we were just soldiers following orders. Even against Kralkatorrik and Joko we weren't leading an army, just small scale groups of usually our Guild.

Yeah, if you want you can say we're an elite group of adventurers that help against the dragons and other threats. Or you can say we're insufferable busy bodies that should have been arrested years ago. I'm sure a lot of the people we meet view us as a little bit of both.

Imagine Scooby Doo and the gang solving mysteries but also, ya know, murdering people. That's us.

However, we're not responsible for the actions of Smodur or any of the other military leaders. We're not part of that military or even the pact any more, we're just the commander because it's easier than coming up with another one-size-fits-all honorific especially because having NPCs calling us "boss" was cringy.

And they’d have got away with it if it wasn’t for us pesky kids!!

@Randulf.7614 said:I don't recall us leading an army recently. Smodur led this attack and it was repeatedly stated we were just soldiers following orders. Even against Kralkatorrik and Joko we weren't leading an army, just small scale groups of usually our Guild.

If you've ever joined a 50 person squad in WvW, you know all too well the skill lag you see when the fighting starts...pretty sure we wouldn't want that in PvE ;)

War sucks.

They aren't people. They're zombies.

Charr are brutalist and merciless. They wouldn't have listened to your pleas.

You seem to be confusing adventuring with homemaking.

Really, killer? This is where you draw the line? How many thousands of intelligent creatures and people have you carelessly slaughtered for the crimes of "being in your way", "daring to defend their home", or worst of all, "having something you want"? Yet suddenly you care because you bothered to learn a little about them? You never were a "hero", kiddo. You are a murderer, a pillager, an invader... and a hypocrite.

@"Kurrilino.2706" said:Dear A-Net.

I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.

You should play Season 3.

You literally and explicitly leave the Pact in Episode 1. You are not part of any fighting force (unless you are charr, and even then you're on indefinite official leave until the Elder Dragon threat is completely neutralized). Or the Vigil, I suppose we're still members of the Vigil, but you chose to be a member of the Vigil so that's on you not ANet.

However, the title "Commander" is for life, as is any military ranking. This is why people still refer to the PC as the Commander - that, and the obvious need to use a generic term for the PC since you cannot establish voice acting for every possible player name.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Tails.9372" said:You're not a commander anymore, it's just the title people address you with for your role in fighting Zhaitan.

Actually you're still
A
commander in The Pact, just not
The
Commander at this point in time.

Actually you do resign from the pact. In Season 3.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Research_in_Rata_Novus

<Character name>: General Soulkeeper, this is quite a surprise. What brings you to Rata Novus?General Almorra Soulkeeper: You do, Commander. I've come here to offer you a new position within the Pact.General Almorra Soulkeeper: The Marshal rank is...uh...vacant. And we want you to fill it.<Character name>: This is an honor.General Almorra Soulkeeper: I'm glad you view it in that light. The Pact is hanging on by a thread.<Character name>: I see...General Almorra Soulkeeper: I can tell you're having your doubts, so let me just be up front about the role.General Almorra Soulkeeper: Certain Pact elements feel like Marshal Trahearne's mistake was going out into the field and getting himself killed.General Almorra Soulkeeper: The new marshal would be planted safely in an office in Lion's Arch. Still leading the troops, but out of harm's way.<Character name>: As flattered as I am by your offer, I'm going to have to respectfully decline, General.<Character name>: After our Mordremoth battle, I believe I, Rytlock, and the others would be more effective operating as our own guild.General Almorra Soulkeeper: I understand the decision on your early retirement, although I'm disappointed. I still believe in the Pact's goal.<Character name>: I do too, and I'll always be ready to lend a hand. It'll just be outside the system.Rytlock Brimstone: Out from under a mountain of paperwork, you mean!General Almorra Soulkeeper: Laugh it up, no-eyes. I have something for you too.General Almorra Soulkeeper: A letter from the Black Citadel. You must've really brushed some higher-ups the wrong way.<Character name>: Are you sure you want to just crumple that up and throw it away?Rytlock Brimstone: Why not? It's what I did with the last two.Taimi: What did I hear? You're not in the Pact anymore? Wait. What do I call you? Pooh-bah?<Character name>: Uh, no. How about we just stick with commander for now?General Almorra Soulkeeper: Technically, it's a title for life, so you're welcome to it.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Tails.9372" said:You're not a commander anymore, it's just the title people address you with for your role in fighting Zhaitan.

Actually you're still
A
commander in The Pact, just not
The
Commander at this point in time.

Actually you do resign from the pact. In Season 3.

<Character name>: General Soulkeeper, this is quite a surprise. What brings you to Rata Novus?General Almorra Soulkeeper: You do, Commander. I've come here to offer you a new position within the Pact.General Almorra Soulkeeper: The Marshal rank is...uh...vacant. And we want you to fill it.<Character name>: This is an honor.General Almorra Soulkeeper: I'm glad you view it in that light. The Pact is hanging on by a thread.<Character name>: I see...General Almorra Soulkeeper: I can tell you're having your doubts, so let me just be up front about the role.General Almorra Soulkeeper: Certain Pact elements feel like Marshal Trahearne's mistake was going out into the field and getting himself killed.General Almorra Soulkeeper: The new marshal would be planted safely in an office in Lion's Arch. Still leading the troops, but out of harm's way.<Character name>: As flattered as I am by your offer, I'm going to have to respectfully decline, General.<Character name>: After our Mordremoth battle, I believe I, Rytlock, and the others would be more effective operating as our own guild.General Almorra Soulkeeper: I understand the decision on your early retirement, although I'm disappointed. I still believe in the Pact's goal.<Character name>: I do too, and I'll always be ready to lend a hand. It'll just be outside the system.Rytlock Brimstone: Out from under a mountain of paperwork, you mean!General Almorra Soulkeeper: Laugh it up, no-eyes. I have something for you too.General Almorra Soulkeeper: A letter from the Black Citadel. You must've really brushed some higher-ups the wrong way.<Character name>: Are you sure you want to just crumple that up and throw it away?Rytlock Brimstone: Why not? It's what I did with the last two.Taimi: What did I hear? You're not in the Pact anymore? Wait. What do I call you? Pooh-bah?<Character name>: Uh, no. How about we just stick with commander for now?General Almorra Soulkeeper: Technically, it's a title for life, so you're welcome to it.

Technically, reading that, though the impression is that you resign your position within the Pact, and Taimi/General Soulkeeper basically confirm it, you're more of in a reserve role now, not officially part of the Pact, but also not really out of the Pact, just operating independently, at least that's how I interpret it.

@"Kurrilino.2706" said:Dear A-Net.

I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places.I didn't ask or would ever accept to be a leader of an army of any kind.

You literally have it as a honorary title. Your "goal" that everyone knew who signed up for this game is to slay the dragons, any militant force with the same intention is going to recognize you and support you, even more so after multiple successes.(if you didn't know this going in, then you didn't do your research.)

Especially when i have no deciding power at all. Today i had to witness members of my fighting force executing people openly.My character was not able to voice my opinion or order it to stop. This is a game has a teen rating for kitten sakes.You are a PACT commander you have 0 authority over any of the Legions. If Canada and US do training missions with EU or Asian allies in their territory, regardless of rank you have 0 authority over what they do. Best you could get is taking it up with your CO.

I wish this guild i never wanted to be in and the army i don't like best of luck and will be on my way into the next magical forestto do what i really want to do. Maybe i will build a little cabin right at a lake or a creek.You actually can do this, not physically build a cabin but you can find some empty house and afk in it and not participate in the story, no one will stop you.People CHOOSE if they want to play the story or not.

Sincerely,a defector (people who played the new map will understand)And if you choose not that's fine, I don't get the point of the spectacle. If this is in jest cool, but you seemed rather indignant about the "atrocities".

@Kurrilino.2706 said:

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:You must be fun at parties.

Standing up against public executions is party pooping............ Now i heard everything

They weren't public executions, I know because the public wasn't there. It was a military firing squad for deserters and traitors.

No one was there, no spectators or crowds, the commander just happened to walk by as it was happening.