PVP Help

Rose.2593

• 2 months later...

I mostly play Necromancer for PVP. Enjoy it but just about run at a 50/50 win rate, so highest I have gotten is Gold in the main league. Normally in Silver. Have trouble with stuns, So I guess i need to learn to us the stun breaks better.

Also the 2v2 and 3v3 leagues are pretty intense so more focus needed.

First off try running a Carrion Amulet if you run core necro, a Marauder Amulet if you are running Reaper or a Sage Amulet if you run Scourge. That should give you all the damage you need.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/ConquestHere you can find some suggestions for traits and skills for each.

If you are having trouble with CC's, the first thing to do is take advantage of your 900 range weapon skills. Don't run into melee, just haze the enemies from afar. You can charge in once your team is winning the fight.

Here's some necro 101 if you want to improve your winrate:

• Always stick to your Firebrand/Tempest if you have one
  • Focus on mid node or home (closest to base) node, always go mid at start
  • Use terrain (walls, cliffs, fences, stairs, rocks etc) to prevent getting hit by all 5 enemy players at once
  • DO NOT FIGHT ON THE NODE. Always win the fight then go on the node. Doesn't matter if the enemy gets it during the fight, and chances are they will sit on it allowing you easy dmg. This is the most crucial step to improving your winrate.
  • Always survive. If the fight goes south leave as early as you can. Get into the base and wait for your allies to respawn. This prevents your team from trickling in 1 by 1 and dying.
  • Don't fight on your own, always be where the teamfight is. Once you become exceptionally skilled you can occasionally take some 1v1's, but then you need to be 100% sure you will win it before even trying.

Whats going with interrupts, they are so bad, tried to finish a player like 4 times, and got interrupted every time, is there stability skills or something that stop this for the necromancer?

I only seem to have 1 interrupt when downed, and that only works on 1 player.

Still seems like some builds just don't take damage, was just in a match, and all of us barley damaged any of the other team:( 3v3 is hard work.

Thanks, will try those, I always see people saying to fight on the nodes though?

@John.8507 said:I mostly play Necromancer for PVP. Enjoy it but just about run at a 50/50 win rate, so highest I have gotten is Gold in the main league. Normally in Silver. Have trouble with stuns, So I guess i need to learn to us the stun breaks better.

best way of dealing with CC is to avoid CC.Dont stack 3 stune removes, just learn how you get stunned and dodge/los it, or learn what CC you can afford to take.For example you might just let rev hit you with their heroic 3s stun, and simply remove it when you have all the cooldowns up, but if you have only 1 stun removing tool left you gotta dodge it to keep it for another CC that is hard to dodge.Learn to use blind against cc, interrupt the cc, what CC lasts how long -> this is important as necro since you can facetank with shroud. etc etc.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@John.8507 said:I mostly play Necromancer for PVP. Enjoy it but just about run at a 50/50 win rate, so highest I have gotten is Gold in the main league. Normally in Silver. Have trouble with stuns, So I guess i need to learn to us the stun breaks better.

best way of dealing with CC is to avoid CC.Dont stack 3 stune removes, just learn how you get stunned and dodge/los it, or learn what CC you can afford to take.For example you might just let rev hit you with their heroic 3s stun, and simply remove it when you have all the cooldowns up, but if you have only 1 stun removing tool left you gotta dodge it to keep it for another CC that is hard to dodge.Learn to use blind against cc, interrupt the cc, what CC lasts how long -> this is important as necro since you can facetank with shroud. etc etc.

But you can't dodge or anything when your finishing?

Do as most of Revs: don't finish downed ones, just cleave with AoE damage. The only two classes able to share consistent stability with their fellows are Guardians and Jalis Revs. If you lack reliable access to stability cleaving, is better, cause the night is dark and full of cc.

@"John.8507" said:Whats going with interrupts, they are so bad, tried to finish a player like 4 times, and got interrupted every time, is there stability skills or something that stop this for the necromancer?

I only seem to have 1 interrupt when downed, and that only works on 1 player.

Still seems like some builds just don't take damage, was just in a match, and all of us barley damaged any of the other team:( 3v3 is hard work.

Thanks, will try those, I always see people saying to fight on the nodes though?

If there are enemies still standing, your best bet is always to keep attacking the body from range instead of stomping.

Learn the tells for every professions downstate skill 2 and save your dodges for them.

Necromancer have a few ways to deal with this. You can use:

• "Well of Power"
  • Reaper Shroud 3
  • "Chilled to the Bone" elite
  • "Trail of Anguish"
  • Hitting the downed player with the blind condition (gs 4, dagger 4, reaper shroud 2, "Signet of Spite", "Well of Darkness" and "Plaguelands" elite.

In general you'll want to keep hitting a downed player instead of stomping as a necro, there are other classes that safe stomp that easier.

As for the damage not being there, always use Ctrl+Leftclick on an enemy player at the start of a fight to help your teammates choose who to attack first and make sure you are all hitting the same player instead of hitting 3 different ones.

//////////////Reply end/////////////

Let me debunk the importance of fighting on node right here right now, as it is purely based on simple math. Every point you capture grants 1 point every two seconds. Every kill you make equals 5 points instantly. From this we can see 1 kill = 10 seconds of holding a node. There is no need to risk your health staying on the node if it can improve your odds of winning the fight.

It's way easier and profitable (score wise) to defend a node that is already yours than to agress a node which gives you 0 points to begin with and that the enemy team are defending with all their might.

And yes I know there are number crunchers out there who will violently disagree with "what if they hold it for more than 10 seconds?!" and "Does this mean to not care about nodes at all?!" What this means is in the long run you will win more fights, put your enemies at a constant disadvantage and have the upper hand at every turn. So what if they hold it for 1 minute? Just cap it back and hold it for the rest of the game. They are dying on the point trying to cap it? Let them! Reap the 15 points from the kills and cap it yourself while they are on respawn baiting them right back into a fight you now know you will win.

The games last 15 mins for a reason, and downed mechanic + respawn timers are there for a reason. Use them to your advantage.

@John.8507 said:

But you can't dodge or anything when your finishing?

true depending on the type of necro you play.On reaper you can stomp with stability from shroud, or you can safe wurm+spectral walk stomp ( its expensive, 2 utilities )you can use lich form for pulsing stab ( i assume you can stomp in lich )or you can do hyper cleave with plaguelands

For finishing as engineer I like to use the elixir that give invulnerability. Basically impossible to counter. (CD is okay if traited.) Stability ... I heard people talking about boonstripping and it getting removed.

In a small setup like 3 vs. 3 i'd try to watch what others are doing. Cold be better to cleave (attack the downed guy until his downed health bar is empty) to kill instead finishing. Or you let another guy from your team do the finish and CC the enemies that try to stop him away. (Using fear as necro.)

Worst you can do is trying to finish while the enemy can outheal (rezz) and you take damage or get interrupted. (Then it would have been better to interrupt the rezzer.)

You can't stomp in Lich as far as I know, but good for getting them down i think? so you can kill them yeah.

3v3 is hard work! win rate like 30% which hopefully isn't all my fault lol, I'm getting top stats every game, like most damage and heal, but that might not mean much.

Its seriously hard work to get points to, I lose more per match than you gain from winning. Like today, - 22, - 22, + 18. So the one win so far is not even enough to gain back the points from 1 loss.

Thanks for the help, and did get a decent build I think, just need to learn to use it better. Especially corrupt boon.

Other classes have much more easier time than staying safe when downed too?I fear one foe, but the next one near by finishes me off. Warriors get up really fast, Guards can blast everyone etc.

This sucks :( Down to Bronze now, and its so not all my fault! Match making doesn't seem to give me the best teams, the queues are long, and just seems like i'm really unlucky in matches this season. Last match I was top stats for damage, healing, revives, and kills:( so I know i'm not all bad. But still losing loads:(

You can try this one:

Traits:

• Blood Magic (top, mid, top)
  • Soul Reaping (bottom, mid, top)
  • Reaper (bottom, top, bottom)

Utilities:

• Well of Blood
  • Well of Suffering/Corrosive Poison Cloud
  • Well of Corruption
  • Well of Power
  • Lich Form

Gear:

• Paladin amulet
  • Rune of Strength
  • Axe/Wh + Scepter/Focus
  • Energy sigil on both sets, intelligence on axe and cleansing on scepter.

How to play it:This build is really tanky and means you can seriously punish those that come near you. Not only that but you can ress people in a jiffy with your heal and traits, but basically you want them to come for you so you can drop Well of Power and enter Shroud for condi immunity and damage. You also start with 20% life force.

I guarantee you this will take you out of bronze. You can even use Shroud 3 for safe stomps. If needed you can use Well of Power, Spectral Walk and Spectral Armor instead for triple stunbreak.

@John.8507 said:This sucks :( Down to Bronze now, and its so not all my fault! Match making doesn't seem to give me the best teams, the queues are long, and just seems like i'm really unlucky in matches this season. Last match I was top stats for damage, healing, revives, and kills:( so I know i'm not all bad. But still losing loads:(

top stats don't indicate good play. what build u use basically determines what top stats you'll end with. trust me if ur in bronze it is definitely your fault. practice against others in the arena in heart of the mists so you learn how to use your build. u don't need to win those fights all that much since necro is a teamfighter and not 1v1 class. ur just there to learn what other classes can do and to train your muscle memory

Try something different than Necro - when it is death match mini season maybe. The "focus necro first" is even more of a thing here ... it seems. And in 3 vs. 3. you have basically 3 people focusing you first (if no other necro is in your team) trying to spike you down. Means you'e need to be a lot better than you'd need to with other classes - to maintain the same skill level.

While I play mainly engineer I found necro an ranger nice in conquest where I tried them (for achievement that needs you to play 2 other classes as well and get wins) ... in 2 vs. 2 it was nice as well. But I found ranger more fun in 3 vs. 3 and noticed the "bigger pressure" when playing necro in a death match. Everony tries to kill you first as fast as possible.

I had a better win ratio the last few days. Got back up to silver, and 50/50 win ratio, way better than 1/3 it was before. And yes i need to improve, but your on a team, so sometimes you just get unlucky!

The 3v3 has been pretty fun, and I hope they keep either 2v2 or 3v3

• 3 weeks later...

I might be missing something, but my core necromancer build really struggles to do damage against some classes....and i am using a build from Gods of PVP, I can fight 1 and 1 in some cases, and stay alive but actually winning is hard.

It's not meant to win any 1v1. It's meant to hold a node you already own until a teammate (thief usually) comes to help you kill whoever is aggressing you.

Basically you can stay alive for a very long time while preventing a decap - that's what makes the build strong, but it's weakness is that's all it can do effectively.

If you want to kill things you should look up the Reaper build on metabattle/gods of pvp instead.

How can classed like reverent and ranger out heal like 3 other people attacking them?? I tried the Reaper build but the life force didn't seem to last very long, was able to actually only go in Reaper form for very short times

Revenant has a healing skill that can turn all damage into healing for a while, and ranger has in general many ways to ignore damage/conditions while healing up so they are naturally on the tanky side. It does however sound like your team is lacking damage.

Reaper is meant to enter shroud for a surge of damage, and then out to use weapon skills defensively. I haven't noticed any big changes in the matchmaking, so could be the time of day.

If you want to increase your chances of winning matches, I would suggest you play the tanky core necro and always go to home/close node at the start. The reason for this is you can survive there for a bit until your team either win the first fight, or come to back you up from respawn.

If they win the midfight you can move there to defend the midpoint instead, but if they lose you stay to defend home/close point. There is no reason for you to go to far point at all. Try it out for a few matches, this should help you quite a bit getting a good start to your games which will help you build a lead in score.

• 2 weeks later...