Are +5 Infusions really worth 4k DPS?

Edit - Title adjusted from 6k to 4k after incorporating feedback in this thread

Ok, looking for some experienced insight here. I'm trying to get a character back raid-ready and am focusing on condi banner warrior. I've followed the SnowCrows setup and have all the gear/traits the same, except that I don't have any of the +5 infusions. Beyond that, I have full ascended gear with the exact same rune/sigils. I also am testing on the exact same golem settings.

Here's the SnowCrows benchmark video:

And here's a video of me matching the same first 30 seconds of the rotation:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJuwVYUbDXw

I noticed that I'm not hitting the same 25 stacks of Furious, so maybe there's something else at play? However, I'm landing all the same skills shown in the benchmark (including the burst skills) within the same window of Berserk.

Maybe there's something else I'm missing, but for all my testing, I can't seem to get higher than 27k DPS at any point. I know that Expertise is a big stat for condi builds and that some of the +5 infusions consist of this stat, but this still feels like a huge gap between what I am producing and what the benchmark is producing. Is it really just the infusions that make the difference?

(Also, here's a link to a log from a similar test against the golem: https://dps.report/WN4r-20200527-172833_golem)

They are definitely not worth 6k dps.your rotation just isn't super clean, you start the fight with an auto attack and on your first shattering blow you are already 2 seconds behind the benchmark. Speed is important for a rotation and you can already lack behind 2 seconds in the first 3 seconds of a log. That's a huge time loss.

Was only looking at the log. In the video you also don't reset your burst skill with your healing skill.

@"RaidsAreEasyAF.8652" said:They are definitely not worth 6k dps.your rotation just isn't super clean, you start the fight with an auto attack and on your first shattering blow you are already 2 seconds behind the benchmark. Speed is important for a rotation and you can already lack behind 2 seconds in the first 3 seconds of a log. That's a huge time loss.

Was only looking at the log. In the video you also don't reset your burst skill with your healing skill.

Hmm, I appreciate you taking the time to speak up, but your insights don't really add up. The fight doesn't start with an auto attack in either the log or the video. The first attack in the log is Pin Down since the auto-attack shown is interrupted during the weapon swap. Scorched earth is also cast twice with the heal in both video and log. It's hard to see in the video, but it's shown in the log.

Your timing in comparing the videos may be off, but you can count the cast burst skills to see that they match. In my video, there's 6 Scorched Earths and 3 Flaming Fury casts before berserk runs out. That is one shy of the SC video, but only because I missed one at the end. I've tested the rotation again without missing that one and it's still below 27k DPS.

mF0JSPd.png

Here's an updated log with that last scorched earth included:https://dps.report/5LNK-20200527-190156_golem

Updated image from recent test:ccwbnwL.png

@"Opopanax.1803" said:Is it really 6k extra damage per second, or damage per rotation?

Damage per second. You can watch my DPS during the vid or look at the full graph in the log. At no point do I hit or exceed 28k DPS.

I'd really like to hear "No, you just forgot " something, but I've been sitting here trying to figure this out for quite a while now and no matter how much I mirror exactly what is shown from the benchmark/raid guide without having the +5 infusions for armor, I cannot come close to the 33-34k DPS being shown.

I do not have the stat infusions either, and I can hit 35k on the golem with Power Decapitate Berserker, which is pretty much the benchmark for that build. I think you may be missing some of the skill activations be a few frames, which adds up over the rotation. Queue them up as the previous skill is activating.

You started the fight with torch 5 while standing in the golem which instantly puts you infight, if you see the benchmark video he starts casting torch 5 while standing away from the golem then switching weapons casting lb 5 and running into the golem, if you check the sc log you notice it doesnt even show his torch 5 and lb 5 because he wasnt infight yet. Your lb 5 showing up in your log is a sign that you were slow at the start, it shouldnt be visible, as arc only starts logging once you are in combat. (This is just concerning the opening first 2 seconds)

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:I do not have the stat infusions either, and I can hit 35k on the golem with Power Decapitate Berserker, which is pretty much the benchmark for that build. I think you may be missing some of the skill activations be a few frames, which adds up over the rotation. Queue them up as the previous skill is activating.Which skill activations?

I get that it seems that I should be missing something like this, but the logs and vids all show me hitting them.

1. Your opening torch 5 needs to be done out of combat so that you dont have a weapon swap cooldown when going into bow. Notice in the SC video when they're in bow the first time the weapon swap is not on cooldown.
  2. On the third row aka the second time you're in sword, you have a full cast of sever artery in between shattering blow and flaming flurry.
  3. All of the red squares in your rotation log are moments where you cancelled auto attacks and thus are losing time. If you mouse over the red squares you'll see that you're spending anywhere from 50-250ms on cancelled autos each time. That is time that can be shaved off which will end up adding up to whole seconds where you're behind simply because you're not hitting skills fast enough.

Doing some quick math, if you shaved off all of the cancelled skills, you would have dealt the same damage in 29.888 seconds instead of 33.019 which would have raised your dps from 25,819 to 28,523. It makes a pretty big difference.

To get ahead of potential questions you may have. Yes the timing is actually that tight if you want to be optimal. Do you need to achieve these tight timings in raid scenarios to be successful? absolutely not.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:I do not have the stat infusions either, and I can hit 35k on the golem with Power Decapitate Berserker, which is pretty much the benchmark for that build. I think you may be missing some of the skill activations be a few frames, which adds up over the rotation. Queue them up as the previous skill is activating.Which skill activations?

I get that it
seems
that I should be missing something like this, but the logs and vids all show me hitting them.

I mean that your timing may be off just slightly. It helps if you are pushing DPS to queue the next skill while the current one is activating.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

1. Your opening torch 5 needs to be done out of combat so that you dont have a weapon swap cooldown when going into bow. Notice in the SC video when they're in bow the first time the weapon swap is not on cooldown.
  2. On the third row aka the second time you're in sword, you have a full cast of sever artery in between shattering blow and flaming flurry.
  3. All of the red squares in your rotation log are moments where you cancelled auto attacks and thus are losing time. If you mouse over the red squares you'll see that you're spending anywhere from 50-250ms on cancelled autos each time. That is time that can be shaved off which will end up adding up to whole seconds where you're behind simply because you're not hitting skills fast enough.

Doing some quick math, if you shaved off all of the cancelled skills, you would have dealt the same damage in 29.888 seconds instead of 33.019 which would have raised your dps from 25,819 to 28,523. It makes a pretty big difference.

To get ahead of potential questions you may have. Yes the timing is actually that tight if you want to be optimal. Do you need to achieve these tight timings in raid scenarios to be successful? absolutely not.Helpful feedback. Being able to tighten my rotation to 28.5k DPS sounds reasonable. By following that math, it still puts it at between 4.5k and 5.5k DPS loss from not having the infusions, meaning that I'm losing around 15% DPS without having them.

I'll practice more and see what my actual DPS comes out to with my rotation tightened to match what you're describing.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:I mean that your timing may be off just slightly. It helps if you are pushing DPS to queue the next skill while the current one is activating.You should be able to see me doing that in the posted videos.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

To get ahead of potential questions you may have. Yes the timing is actually that tight if you want to be optimal. Do you need to achieve these tight timings in raid scenarios to be successful? absolutely not.Helpful feedback. Being able to tighten my rotation to 28.5k DPS sounds reasonable. By following that math, it still puts it at between 4.5k and 5.5k DPS loss from not having the infusions, meaning that I'm losing around 15% DPS without having them.

I'll practice more and see what my actual DPS comes out to with my rotation tightened to match what you're describing.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:I mean that your timing may be off just slightly. It helps if you are pushing DPS to queue the next skill while the current one is activating.You should be able to see me doing that in the posted videos.

I only included cancelled autos. There are instances where you have completed autos in between skill usage that I didn't take out since it'd make the quick math too difficult but those will also contribute a lot to your dps as well. Typically auto chains will do more damage the further along in the chain you are so a hypothetical auto chain could look something like this:

Auto 1 - 1000 damageAuto 2 - 2000 damageAuto 3 - 5000 damage

Now lets say in a given weapon rotation you can fit 3 big skills and 3 autos before you must weapon swap. Here's what optimal looks like:Big skill - Big skill - Big skill - Auto 1 - Auto 2 - Auto 3 - weapon swapwhich means your auto chain did 8000 damage total.

Here's what bad looks like:Big skill - Big skill - Auto 1 - Big skill - Auto 1 - Auto 2 - weapon swapNotice in this example your autos only did 4000 damage total in the same time span.

You can actually see an example of this in your log where you fit auto 1 in between 2 big skills. If you instead tighten up the rotation, you can move the time spent on auto 1 to the end and get an auto 3 in there.rIlK3t2.png

@Shikaru.7618 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:I mean that your timing may be off just slightly. It helps if you are pushing DPS to queue the next skill while the current one is activating.You should be able to see me doing that in the posted videos.

I only included cancelled autos. There are instances where you have completed autos in between skill usage that I didn't take out since it'd make the quick math too difficult but those will also contribute a lot to your dps as well. Typically auto chains will do more damage the further along in the chain you are so a hypothetical auto chain could look something like this:

Now lets say in a given weapon rotation you can fit 3 big skills and 3 autos before you must weapon swap. Here's what optimal looks like:Big skill - Big skill - Big skill - Auto 1 - Auto 2 - Auto 3 - weapon swapwhich means your auto chain did 8000 damage total.

Here's what bad looks like:Big skill - Big skill - Auto 1 - Big skill - Auto 1 - Auto 2 - weapon swapNotice in this example your autos only did 4000 damage total in the same time span.

You can actually see an example of this in your log where you fit auto 1 in between 2 big skills. If you instead tighten up the rotation, you can move the time spent on auto 1 to the end and get an auto 3 in there.
rIlK3t2.png

I'm making some progress on some of the stuff mentioned to get closer to matching the exact rotation in terms of included full auto attacks, but the DPS numbers aren't really changing much as I get closer to having this absolutely perfect. There's still a very big gap between the ~27k mark and the 33k mark, but I'll reply with an updated log/video when I get it perfected to see where exactly it lands (will probably be tomorrow since I won't have another chance tonight).

@Alex.9106 said:Infusions increase your dps by rougly ~1k, everything else is a rotation issueTake a page from Shikaru's book and put some actual substance behind your claims.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

You can actually see an example of this in your log where you fit auto 1 in between 2 big skills. If you instead tighten up the rotation, you can move the time spent on auto 1 to the end and get an auto 3 in there.
rIlK3t2.png

I'm making some progress on some of the stuff mentioned to get closer to matching the exact rotation in terms of included full auto attacks, but the DPS numbers aren't really changing much as I get closer to having this absolutely perfect. There's still a very big gap between the ~27k mark and the 33k mark, but I'll reply with an updated log/video when I get it perfected to see where exactly it lands (will probably be tomorrow since I won't have another chance tonight).

@Alex.9106 said:Infusions increase your dps by rougly ~1k, everything else is a rotation issueTake a page from Shikaru's book and put some actual substance behind your claims.

Combing over your rotation a bit more, I also noticed that you're missing one cast of long bow 2 each time you're in berserk longbow. You should be doing swap from sword, lb 2, f1, filler stuff, f1, lb2 before the swap comes of cd with some variation when you land on lb after opening burst. Try to fix that in your rotation.

The build in question runs 11 Malign and 7 Spiteful infusions (to allow you to max out Condition Duration). We are talking about 55 Condition Damage and 35 Expterise (~2.3% Condition Duration). You should be hovering at around 3000 Condition Damage in total. That 55 Condition Damage coming from your infusions is an increase of roughly ~2%.

There is no way that increasing your main damage stat by 2% and prolonging the duration of your conditions by another 2% would ever come close increasing your damage by 6-7k. This would be a wooping 25% increase of your overall damage.

https://dps.report/Nrn9-20191003-150603_golemDps log of the benchmark video.

0.17 Headbutt1.9 Berserk2.17 Dual Shot2.2 Scorched Earth2.5 Blood Reckonig2.85 Dual Shot2.9 Scorched Eartch3.2 Fan of Fire3.5 Weapon Swap

https://dps.report/5LNK-20200527-190156_golemYour latest log.

0.17 Sever Artery (not sure why you would not start on Headbutt)0.1 Weapon Swap (wasted weapon swap)0.45 Pin Down (probably fat fingered)1.65 Dual Shot1.69 Headbutt (you are already 1.5 second behind ideal rotation)3.45 Berserk3.74 Scorched Earth4.1 Blood Reckoning4.3 Scorched Earth4.73 Dual Shot5.0 Fan of Fire

Look at the exact amount of skills in the ideal rotation. The simple rotation including auto attacks is almost a block, indicating that at nearly every available time frame a skill was cast or active(the fact that most skills have similar baseline cast times is beneficial here).

Now take a look at your simple rotation. It's a string of different long lines of skills between weapon swaps. This indicates that your are either slower in executing/chaining skills, or miss clicking skills. Especially your sword rotation is sloppy compared to the benchmark.

As far as infusions and the damage increase they bring, this was mentioned and Henry.5713 did some quick math for you. It's around 1-1.5k depending on build (power or condi) and if one is crit capped before (or condi duration capped) or not. Those 2 factors make up the biggest difference. Based on personal testing of myself, I can say that calculating 1k for infusions is correct. You can easily try this out by simply taking lower level food or reducing your setup by approximately 90 stat points (you could take off spotter for example for ease of testing, or add some effect worth around 90 beneficial stat points).

@"Dahkeus.8243" said:Hmm, I appreciate you taking the time to speak up, but your insights don't really add up. The fight doesn't start with an auto attack in either the log or the video. The first attack in the log is Pin Down since the auto-attack shown is interrupted during the weapon swap. Scorched earth is also cast twice with the heal in both video and log. It's hard to see in the video, but it's shown in the log.

Your timing in comparing the videos may be off, but you can count the cast burst skills to see that they match. In my video, there's 6 Scorched Earths and 3 Flaming Fury casts before berserk runs out. That is one shy of the SC video, but only because I missed one at the end. I've tested the rotation again without missing that one and it's still below 27k DPS.

mF0JSPd.png

Here's an updated log with that last scorched earth included:https://dps.report/5LNK-20200527-190156_golem

Updated image from recent test:ccwbnwL.png

No, you dont cast that LB Burst Skill in the Video. Its at 0:04. You cast your heal skill first and then the LB skill. Your adrenaline even stays full until you cast its after the healskill.You also interupting your Auto Attack doesnt mean that you dont start the fight with it. It means that you wasted time. On your first Weaponswap (or rather your second) you are already 2 seconds behind.

@Alex.9106 said:Infusions increase your dps by rougly ~1k, everything else is a rotation issue

On the golem it can get a bit wonky cause of the 80% number. If that 1k allows you to reach that 80% just after your burst it inflates the number. On arc it should be around 1k dps.

But yeah to the starter just practice your rotation and keep in mind some rotations are grinded by the best gw2 players (not all are grinded).

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

This is not a scientific forum, but whatever here you go:

If you look at the benchmark the damage dealt by conditions from Luna Nightstalker consist of:35.86 average stacks of bleeding20.18 average stacks of burning3.26 average stacks of poison

Burning adds 17641.3 dpsbleeding adds 10703.6 dpspoison adds 1024.4 dps

Now infusion give you 11*5= 55 condi dmg and 7*5=35 expertise as stats.35/15 = 2.33 So the 35 expertise increase your condition duration by 2.33 percent.

So lets see how much dps you lose if the conditions lose 2.33 percent of their duration.

Burning: (17641.3*100)/102.33 = 17239.62Bleeding: (10703.6*100)/102.33 = 10459.88Poison: (1024.4*100)/102.33 = 1001.07

So you lose (17641.3+10703.6+1024.4)-(17239.62+10459.88+1001.07)=668.73 dps

Now lets see how much dps you lose if you miss 55 condi dmg stats.Formula for condi dmg is:Burning: (0.155 * Condition Damage) + 131 per stack per secondBleeding: (0.06 * Condition Damage) + 22 per stack per secondPoison: (0.06 * Condition Damage) + 33.5 per stack per second

This gives us:0.155*55=8.525 dps loss per stack of burning0.06*55=3.3 dps loss per stack of bleeding/poison

So now we need to compute the avg number of stacks of conditions after our 2.33 duration increase is missing:Burning: (35.86*100)/102.33=35.04Bleeding: (20.18*100)/102.33=19.72Poison: (3.26*100)/102.33=3.19

Now lets see:35.04*8.525=298.72 DPS loss for burning19.72*3.3=65.08 DPS loss for bleeding3.19*3.3=10.53 DPS loss for poison

With this we have 668.73+298.72+65.08+10.53=1043.06 total dps loss if you dont have infusions.

So the fact that the golem has a fixed number of health will create some problems, because depending on which part of the rotation you end at the golem your dps may experience some differences.But it should not be to far off from our calculated number of 1043.06 dps loss.

What this also tells you is that should you ever get infusions you probably want to get the expertise infusions first.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

rIlK3t2.png

Combing over your rotation a bit more, I also noticed that you're missing one cast of long bow 2 each time you're in berserk longbow. You should be doing swap from sword, lb 2, f1, filler stuff, f1, lb2 before the swap comes of cd with some variation when you land on lb after opening burst. Try to fix that in your rotation.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:
Dps log of the benchmark video.

0.17 Headbutt1.9 Berserk2.17 Dual Shot2.2 Scorched Earth2.5 Blood Reckonig2.85 Dual Shot2.9 Scorched Eartch3.2 Fan of Fire3.5 Weapon Swap

Your latest log.

0.17 Sever Artery (not sure why you would not start on Headbutt)0.1 Weapon Swap (wasted weapon swap)0.45 Pin Down (probably fat fingered)1.65 Dual Shot1.69 Headbutt (you are already 1.5 second behind ideal rotation)3.45 Berserk3.74 Scorched Earth4.1 Blood Reckoning4.3 Scorched Earth4.73 Dual Shot5.0 Fan of Fire

Look at the exact amount of skills in the ideal rotation. The simple rotation including auto attacks is almost a block, indicating that at nearly every available time frame a skill was cast or active(the fact that most skills have similar baseline cast times is beneficial here).

Now take a look at your simple rotation. It's a string of different long lines of skills between weapon swaps. This indicates that your are either slower in executing/chaining skills, or miss clicking skills. Especially your sword rotation is sloppy compared to the benchmark.

As far as infusions and the damage increase they bring, this was mentioned and Henry.5713 did some quick math for you. It's around 1-1.5k depending on build (power or condi) and if one is crit capped before (or condi duration capped) or not. Those 2 factors make up the biggest difference. Based on personal testing of myself, I can say that calculating 1k for infusions is correct. You can easily try this out by simply taking lower level food or reducing your setup by approximately 90 stat points (you could take off spotter for example for ease of testing, or add some effect worth around 90 beneficial stat points).

I appreciate the feedback. I tightened up the rotation to match what is shown, but it's not accounting for the full amount of DPS expected from the napkin math people are talking over here.

Also, @"Cyninja.2954" , your log doesn't have your rotation as far as I can tell since the Player Summary section is empty.

However, here's what I have after incorporating the feedback:Dm9wuI3.png

Full log: https://dps.report/RI1Y-20200528-114041_golem

Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMZA6o73CG8&feature=youtu.be

DPS still peaks at 29k, which is still 4k below 33k.

You should work an creating a full dps log, not stopping midway.

It would both allow for you to directly see where you lose time, as well as what the total time is for you to kill the golem versus the benchmark. It also helps in creating muscle memory for extended periods of time.

Also the logs I posted are not mine. They are 1 from the video, and the other from you. Worked fine just now.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:I think you have problem in golem settings, in standart you need to add all conditions on golem, first time I had this mistake and I said why my dps low, golem settings very important. Average golem with 4000000 and all conditions.Some skills damage associate with conditions on golem so you not added all.

[sC] are a bunch of robots with insanely fast and accurate fingers. Luna reaches the first weapon swap in 3.5 seconds. You do it in 5.7 seconds. At the next weapon swap, Luna squeezes in an extra hamstring, sever artery, gash and hamstring before weapon swapping and Luna hits the second weapon swap faster than you did. You appear to have interrupted your first sword auto chain and are completely missing the second auto chain and you are still behind on time.

If you want to hit [sC] numbers good luck but it helps if you are young, do not suffer from any type of chronic wrist injury and were a guitar hero world champion in a previous life.