Suggestion about thief initiative pools

Crab Fear.1624

A smaller pool of 10 initiative and no traits to increase its max.

This would mean their would be an initiative pool of 10 per weapon set and each would be on separate cooldown.

Weapon skills costs should get lower values such as the 7 should be lowered to perhaps 5, all 6s to 5, the rest may perhaps be balanced.

Remove weapon swap cooldown for thief.

Bump quick pockets back up to 3 initiative gained and maybe add a feature that lets 1 initiative be gained of hitting with the 3 auto attack chain or every third attack.

Now thief won't be able to spam skills but twice per set unless they can rotate actively though proper skills or use utilities.

Your idea would result in an even spammier playstyle than it already is.Imagine Thieves equipping offhand pistols in both sets and spamming Black Powder all day in group fights.

I'd rather have the three Initiative gained from Trickery be baseline.

While the Thief definitely needs a lot of help initiative-wise and thematically (which I may write up a suggestion post if I can convince myself it's worth the time to do so)...

@Crab Fear.1624 said:Remove weapon swap cooldown for thief.

^ THIS needs to be done immediately! There's absolutely no acceptable excuse not to... not anymore. Replace or alter Quick Pockets if needed, but there's absolutely no reason for the Thief to have a weapon swap cooldown in today's game. Let us use our initiative as we see fit with no arbitrary cooldowns on weapons.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:While the Thief definitely needs a lot of help initiative-wise and thematically (which I may write up a suggestion post if I can convince myself it's worth the time to do so)...

^ THIS needs to be done immediately! There's absolutely no acceptable excuse not to... not anymore. Replace or alter Quick Pockets if needed, but there's absolutely no reason for the Thief to have a weapon swap cooldown in today's game. Let us use our initiative as we see fit with no arbitrary cooldowns on weapons.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:While the Thief definitely needs a lot of help initiative-wise and thematically (which I may write up a suggestion post if I can convince myself it's worth the time to do so)...

Quick Pockets actually has a cooldown anyway, so it wouldnt be that big a deal. But what would be is the fact that you can disengage without being locked into shortbow. Thats dangerous. Too dangerous probably.

@UNOwen.7132 said:But what would be is the fact that you can disengage without being locked into shortbow. Thats dangerous. Too dangerous probably.

I'd say that it's situational... especially depending on the other weapon set. But the Thief isn't generally dangerous as it is anyway.

Thieves already disengage as soon as they need to. Whether they are locked into Shortbow or not, if they disengage due to health or cooldowns, they have to wait it out anyway. But there are other reasons to disengage, for example, moving from one fight to another. In that case, it's not really a bad thing for the Thief to be able to reengage immediately with its primary weapon set. It has already blown its initiative by Shortbowing around anyway (which is another issue that should be looked at for the Thief).

Personally, I see removing the weapon swap as allowing a LOT more versatility for the Thief. Sword/Pistol could Black Powder + Cluster Bomb during combat and get a Tactical Strike off. Pistol/Dagger could combine with Dagger/Pistol to get constant pressure alternating between Shadow Shot and Shadow Strike. Pistol/Pistol could actually become more viable by being able to reposition during combat with Infiltrator's Arrow (though still having to balance between mobility and lethality due to initiative). Staff Daredevils could become more deceptive with vaulting through X/Pistol's Black Powder and getting a lot more Hook Strikes (without needing Bounding Dodger). Rifle Deadeyes could become much more aggressive melee fighters with Dagger/X, being able to dodge roll for Stealth to get Backstabs, and always having the option of gaining momentary distance with Death's Retreat, taking a shot or two, and switching back to Dagger. Even the Shortbow itself could be much more useful as a combat weapon by being able to harass enemies when needed without fear of being locked out of the Thief's primary weapon.

It truly does fit the Thief thematically to be able to be so adaptable and able to immediately improvise. And because of the shared initiative system, it doesn't make it unfair to the other professions. In order to be lethal, the Thief is still required to engage, making it vulnerable. In order to be effective, the Thief still has to engage. This change would just allow the Thief to engage more on its own terms. That's not a bad thing, especially with all of the disadvantages the Thief currently suffers from.

P.S. Even if removing the weapon-swap cooldown altogether is too much (maybe, maybe not), even shortening it would be of great benefit. I'd argue for 1 second, but even 3 or 5 would be greatly helpful. Still very annoying, but much better than 10 seconds.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:A smaller pool of 10 initiative and no traits to increase its max.

This would mean their would be an initiative pool of 10 per weapon set and each would be on separate cooldown.

Weapon skills costs should get lower values such as the 7 should be lowered to perhaps 5, all 6s to 5, the rest may perhaps be balanced.

Pfft...

Like that would happen.

More likely that we'd get stuck with an init pool of 10 and all our skills will cost 11 init because people whining in PvP about how Thief can use skills ever...

• 4 weeks later...

@Fueki.4753 said:Your idea would result in an even spammier playstyle than it already is.Imagine Thieves equipping offhand pistols in both sets and spamming Black Powder all day in group fights.

I'd rather have the three Initiative gained from Trickery be baseline.

Agreed, with a build I have mocked up for thief having that much initiative and no weapon swap CD would in theory allow me to constantly spam evade skills and get signiciant amounts of incoming healing in the process.. pretty much an untouchable spam master with sustain overkill.As fun as that would be, this is just way to spammy.. thief hate would skyrocket with such changes.