Spoilers - New episode ruined charr for me.

Cyndercat.7615

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:You can argue away the other NPCs excuses for acting the way they did in the face of smodur.

But what's in excusable is
  1. the game acted like he was wrongWell, he definitely didn't act rational here.

I just played through it again and I actually agree with smordur more the second time through, felt like he had a lot of valid points.The only thing he did wrong was not act with the group, and kinda ruined the plan for everyone, and for someone whose supposed to be a great negotiator he should have understood the idea of bargaining chips and how much pull Ryland had. So he's stupid but I think he's got some good points, this is a full out war.I think this is more the game painting him as obviously wrong even when he was contributing to the effort.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

1. My iron legion chart Pzc acted like he was wrong. She should be super down with what he was doing.If your Charr is also one that would consider purging over half of the Charr population to be the "right" choice, then my Charr would definitely not want to be on the same side as yours. Frankly, at this point even
    Bangar
    seems to be a more reasonable charr leader than Smodur, and that's telling something.

I was more referring to how shocked the Charr PC was to seeing the shootings, which I mean, come on, Charr PC's have done way worse stuff in the personal story.

@"Shadowmoon.7986" said:I feel like the story team read all the forum threads about braham being a unlikable character, and said to themselves " hold my beer". No one is likable at this point. Nothing like starting the story with a mass execution to make me feel like it is worth fighting for. I even refused to throw the searing crystal in the shaft, and they stole that agency from me.Steel and fire introduced us to interesting characters, now they are just nameless mobs to mow down like everywhere else. Bangar killing soulkeeper and us knowing that had 0 effect on the story.

"nameless mobs", we got introduced to them so they are anything but that. Just because we didn't have seasons of build up doesn't mean they didn't have worthy character development.

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:You can argue away the other NPCs excuses for acting the way they did in the face of smodur.

But what's in excusable is
  1. the game acted like he was wrongWell, he definitely didn't act rational here.

I just played through it again and I actually agree with smordur more the second time through, felt like he had a lot of valid points.The only thing he did wrong was not act with the group, and kinda ruined the plan for everyone, and for someone whose supposed to be a great negotiator he should have understood the idea of bargaining chips and how much pull Ryland had. So he's stupid but I think he's got some good points, this is a full out war.I think this is more the game painting him as obviously wrong even when he was contributing to the effort.

1. My iron legion chart Pzc acted like he was wrong. She should be super down with what he was doing.If your Charr is also one that would consider purging over half of the Charr population to be the "right" choice, then my Charr would definitely not want to be on the same side as yours. Frankly, at this point even
    Bangar
    seems to be a more reasonable charr leader than Smodur, and that's telling something.

I was more referring to how shocked the Charr PC was to seeing the shootings, which I mean, come on, Charr PC's have done way worse stuff in the personal story.Because that was the stupid thing to do when you're theoretically trying to preserve unity of the charr, and not make the split permanent. And when you're not the clearly stronger side in the engagement. He's making others obey him out of fear alone, not loyalty. Notice, that it is exactly opposite to what
Bangar
does. That's a recipe to lose even more of your people to the other side, and the shootings also make it so that the "enemy" charr are encouraged to fight to the death, because they'll know that being captured is a death sentence anyway.

Problem i have with the story is that Smodur is supposed to be a great diplomat, but now he's acting as if he intents to lose. Or at the very least, win a pyrrhic victory that will fracture the victors. Just after the charr community was so very close to being united again.

Hint: it was exactly the division of charr community that was one of the major factors for why humans orginally chased them out of ascalon. They know that. And it was exatly the type of behaviour Smodur now showcases that caused the other legions to ultimately rebel against Flame. Smodur would make a great Flame Legion emperor of old, but he makes a very poor emperor for the Iron Legion of today. And he makes an absolute failure as a potential Khan-Ur of the united charr. And he is supposed to be smart enough to be able to recognize it himself.

As you even said it - in this story he's acting very stupid. But that's the exact opposite from what he is known for. By the point the shooting starts, it's completely normal for Charr PC to be surprised and shocked not only due to the action itself, but also (or even primarily) because it seems completely out of character for Smodur. By the time the story ends, I am extremely surprised noone raised the possibility that Smodur got somehow corrupted as well. Or has his own, more sinister motives for derailing everything.

if you are the weaker side, you can not allow traitors and potential back-stabbers among your troops. You do not have the ressources to deal with damage while defending.

So Smodur executing the deserters makes absolutely sense.

What does not make sense are the reactions. Charr kill each other all the time. To deal with powerstruggles, to make ranks. Charr also should know the importance of strong discipline.

Smodur is actually the only charr left at this point. The rest are just humans in furr suits.