Why aren't WvW trolls punished?

Taylan.2187

Simple fix for all of this is, just like spawn, make the area around the tactics siege locked, so it cant be placed within 150-200 units, same with food or other items that have interaction, they could also give tactics use priority. Make pulling tactics put out a map chat msg of "Player name: pulled EWP in Lowlands", not only does this help with spotting trolls who do this over and over, but also makes it so that when pulled for real, it's put in chat for people to click on without having to spam the link yourself.

Loving these suggestions.

Anet please hear us!

Although it is not clearly defined in the User Agreement , it is generally defined in the wiki. " World versus World (also known as WvW, and sometimes referred to in-universe as the Mist War) is a combination Player versus Player/Player versus Environment game mode where players from three different worlds (which can involve 6+ servers), battle in the Mists. "A de facto standard is a custom or convention that has achieved a dominant position by public acceptance.Therefore it is the de facto standard that WvW is indeed PvP .Match manipulation is defined as any action taken to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match . Therefore spying , trolling tactivators , covering tactivators with siege or siege build sites or food , and server stacking can all be interpreted as match manipulation .
But it is difficult to police and/or prosecute such activities without an admission of guilt that such activities are intentional .In the end , It falls on the shoulders of the developers to make such activities either impossible or very difficult .

@avey.4201 said:

@avey.4201 said:if you win wvw you win nothing, so if trolls make you lose you lose nothing while losing the potential to gain nothing.if people are pulling tactivators, support has already stated it is the fault of the guild who claimed the objective for not turning off public tactic activation.

If only setting an objectives tactics to private actually works.

Objectives turn themselves back to public. It happens when any member of the guild leaves the map, enters the map or switches guild tag, even if they are not the only guild member on the map. They seem to be going public in other circumstances too which I haven't been able to pin down yet. Setting tactics to private SHOULD be a reliable way to stop tactic trolls but it isn't.

Senior GM Seraph~This is a result of improper guild role and permission management. There are settings in-game in order to prevent issues like this.

Please explain to me how the settings should be done. Currently every single person in the guild has permissions regarding tactics. Thanks.

@avey.4201 said:

@avey.4201 said:if you win wvw you win nothing, so if trolls make you lose you lose nothing while losing the potential to gain nothing.if people are pulling tactivators, support has already stated it is the fault of the guild who claimed the objective for not turning off public tactic activation.

If only setting an objectives tactics to private actually works.

Objectives turn themselves back to public. It happens when any member of the guild leaves the map, enters the map or switches guild tag, even if they are not the only guild member on the map. They seem to be going public in other circumstances too which I haven't been able to pin down yet. Setting tactics to private SHOULD be a reliable way to stop tactic trolls but it isn't.

Senior GM Seraph~This is a result of improper guild role and permission management. There are settings in-game in order to prevent issues like this.

Not having a plebian tier of membership is our folly.Such an odd stance for a progressive company.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest option would be to have certain areas (like tactivators) restricted from having siege placed there. That includes novelty items placed on top of tactivators deliberately. Anet should also make it so that enemy players can't place siege blueprints on top of walls (like stonemist castle), unless an opening in one of the walls has been created. I've seen countless times enemies chuck cheap blueprint siege on top of the walls, so that the veteran archers attack it, and thus the area becomes 'contested', which prevents waypoints being used. I've seen countless players do it to enemy keeps to basically permanently keep the waypoint contested. It isn't right, and it shouldn't be allowed unless the player has access to being on said wall. If the wall is closed, then common sense says you shouldn't be able to chuck siege on an area that you don't have access to anyway.

@Thelrok.7354 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:That is not trolling, that is having more accounts and trying to help your friends on the other server :/ In T1 EU you see it all the time..

Of course that's also always a possibility, and should be all the more reason for punishing a player. In our current situation I actually had a serious talk with the player pulling off things like this (I assume that what I screenshotted above was also his doing) and he told me all about these issues he has with some leading figure on their server and apparently does this as a form of protest...

Either way there should be rules against this sort of behavior. There's no justification for it.

Technically, there are rules against this sort of behavior, they just aren't enforced. A simple solution that would be effective is to just IP/hardware ban every account that does this kind of thing or at least disabling the ability of people who troll to queue for WvW (not on a per-account basis but on a per-IP basis). It would also ease the burden on support, because they'd have less tickets to deal with from repeat offenders.

Unfortunately, it will never happen. These problems have existed since the game released. There's no reason for anyone to fear punishment from anet for ruining other people's experience out of spite. Worst case scenario is a throw away account gets a short temp ban if they do something extremely egregious.

IP based bans are idiotic.

You might have been asleep the last 20 years. But 99% of people have DYNAMIC IPs. In fact, a lot of ISPs are so starved of IPs that people share ips. So if you ban an IP the troll only has to reconnect his router/cable modem and he is good to go, while some poor smock who has never done anything wrong is suprised he can not log into the game he just downloaded and installed.

IP bans never work.

Nuking accounts publically does. There are game companies that publish the account names oftrolls/cheaters bannedhacked accounts restoredhacked accounts on ice until problem resolvedaccounts unbanned

every month.

It helps a lot. Especially with the 'I was banned and did nothing wrong' lies.

I'm so sick of the rampant cheating truly makes one question why the hell would we continue to play a game that is not policed. Day after day I've watched T1 groups trolling ewp's over and over and pulling tactivators with zero consequence. Sad when the players are so frustrated and zero and i mean zero correspondence on any of the top issues ever hits these boards, truly pathetic!

• 2 weeks later...

@Thelrok.7354 said:

Technically, there are rules against this sort of behavior, they just aren't enforced. A simple solution that would be effective is to just IP/hardware ban every account that does this kind of thing or at least disabling the ability of people who troll to queue for WvW (not on a per-account basis but on a per-IP basis). It would also ease the burden on support, because they'd have less tickets to deal with from repeat offenders.

Unfortunately, it will never happen. These problems have existed since the game released. There's no reason for anyone to fear punishment from anet for ruining other people's experience out of spite. Worst case scenario is a throw away account gets a short temp ban if they do something extremely egregious.

There are entire villages connected to the internet throughWi-Fi with a single central internet gate from ISP (where one single public IP adress apply for entire village). If a troll use modem, changing IP adress is a matter of one minute to reset modem and make a new internet connection with different IP adress.

IP bans are really a bad idea. (which would not work anyway)

Some very easy fixes, EWP cannot be pulled at all unless outer is down (not tapped or guards engaged) period. As far as dropping sieges over tactics they can easily segregate those areas so sieges cannot be built, that exists in many areas of the map. As far as making a bunch of crap sieges to use up supplies, limit how many any one individual can drop in a time period.