HEY ANET we want more playable builds on Thief

TheThief.8475

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@Kulvar.1239 said:I think the key to make Thief "great again" without restoring the spammability of problematic skills is to touch to Initiative itself.

Increase the cost of skills by 50% to 100%.Baseline : Gain 2 Initiative every second.

Some things would have to be adapted to that change.Traits : Initiative gained is doubled (Preparedness is unchanged).Signet of Infiltration : Gain 1 Initiative every 5 second.Roll for Initiative : Gain 9 Initiative. Cooldown is 20s (PvE) and 35s (WvW, PvP).Unload : Cost 10 Initiative. If all attacks hit, gain 4 Initiative (PvE) or 2 Initiative (WvW, PvP)Mercy : No longer gain Initiative per stack of Malice. Gain 1 Initiative per second, last 1 second per stack of Malice. Cooldown is 25s.

Time gained Initiative still looks like a coold down to me. I feel like the Initiative cost keeps going up not so much because our Ini was out of wack or too generously given but more as an easy, right now, way to nerf individual skills. That's not a healthy way to balance our profession especially since most of the Ini cost had felt pretty good and fair for awhile.

The alternative would be putting a CD on the problematic skills, but it seem ANet is against that solution.

Whatever skills are decided to be problematic for reasons aren't going to be resolved by slapping on a cd though or by pricing us out of using all aspects of that skill instead of resolving whatever the problem was that people were crying about.

^ this. I'd rather have skills have weaker effects but to be able to use more than one initiative consuming skill at once than to have each weapon skill being so powerful that they lock me out of all other weapon skills with each use due to ini costs (see choking gas for a prime example, just remove the daze and make it cost 4 ini again, problem solved).

Here we go anet nerfed condi thief too. Now we can throw it away

Honestly the condi nerfs weren't bad, my WvW condi build could get a 5k combined tick pre patch from sneak attack and shadow strike alone which is nuts when you think about it. Condi ought to be attrition, not burst.

Well the thief is not really about attrition tho.

@BobbyT.7192 said:

@Kulvar.1239 said:I think the key to make Thief "great again" without restoring the spammability of problematic skills is to touch to Initiative itself.

Increase the cost of skills by 50% to 100%.Baseline : Gain 2 Initiative every second.

Some things would have to be adapted to that change.Traits : Initiative gained is doubled (Preparedness is unchanged).Signet of Infiltration : Gain 1 Initiative every 5 second.Roll for Initiative : Gain 9 Initiative. Cooldown is 20s (PvE) and 35s (WvW, PvP).Unload : Cost 10 Initiative. If all attacks hit, gain 4 Initiative (PvE) or 2 Initiative (WvW, PvP)Mercy : No longer gain Initiative per stack of Malice. Gain 1 Initiative per second, last 1 second per stack of Malice. Cooldown is 25s.

Time gained Initiative still looks like a coold down to me. I feel like the Initiative cost keeps going up not so much because our Ini was out of wack or too generously given but more as an easy, right now, way to nerf individual skills. That's not a healthy way to balance our profession especially since most of the Ini cost had felt pretty good and fair for awhile.

The alternative would be putting a CD on the problematic skills, but it seem ANet is against that solution.

Whatever skills are decided to be problematic for reasons aren't going to be resolved by slapping on a cd though or by pricing us out of using all aspects of that skill instead of resolving whatever the problem was that people were crying about.

^ this. I'd rather have skills have weaker effects but to be able to use more than one initiative consuming skill at once than to have each weapon skill being so powerful that they lock me out of all other weapon skills with each use due to ini costs (see choking gas for a prime example, just remove the daze and make it cost 4 ini again, problem solved).

Honestly the condi nerfs weren't bad, my WvW condi build could get a 5k combined tick pre patch from sneak attack and shadow strike alone which is nuts when you think about it. Condi ought to be attrition, not burst.

Well the thief is not really about attrition tho.

True, most thief builds aren't about attrition. But that's a strange thing to complain about in a thread asking for more diversity of builds, don't you think?

@TheThief.8475 said:

Then you better start that experimentation process to figure out what builds work ... or just complain everything is broken while other people figure it out for you.

Sounds like you are bored with the two builds you played and want more "OP-free-win-fotm" builds.When in reality thief has quite a lot of builds. I am switching from power to condi to DD to DE to Core and with a variety of weapon combinations. All are viable and playable. Even some "Troll" builds. Am I rank #1 with it? No! Do I have fun killing people? Yes, most of the time.

• 5 weeks later...

How about PvE? D/D staff or rifle(meme weapon) are the only ways for us to deal damage. D/D is completely defenseless, rifle makes you unable to move and Staff is the only option that doesn't make you completely helpless and defenseless as an 11k hp class.

Can pistol whip and sword autos be buffed so S/P can be used in PvE again? S/P thief was a good solo option and didn't give up ALL your defenses for damage so you could actually play the game without being perma downed on thief, but now it's damage is pathetic.