Levelled an Engi to 80...need a build for PVE

misterman.1530

I've levelled every class to 80, but so far only three without using Tomes or Scrolls: Necro, Ranger, and now Engi. My main has always been a Necro. In open world PVE, a Reaper is a virtual killing machine. My Ranger was great to level. While I enjoyed levelling an Engi (I ran a dual pistol wield with Turrets, usually a kit, and either the Drop or the Mortar as my Elite), I noticed that it barely does the damage of my Reaper (nor my Power Scourge, for that matter) and less damage than my Soulbeast.

I've tried Holosmith, and Scrapper builds. In fact, I use modified or exact builds from metabattle.I have ascended gear (Marauders) and either Berserker or Marauder weapons. Runes of the Scholar and tried Runes of the Scrapper. But now that I'm entering the story for Mordremoth I can see I barely do the damage I expect (or have come to expect). I have to be doing something wrong, but have no idea what.

This is the build: I switch things around sometimes.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PewAoqRlZUwY6YHxMtqWZlOuKureA-zVRYBRFIGJ8lSbFQmRQEhQFJgtHix0KtgNRAWi4MC-w

Flame thrower, for example, has a 8 second fire field, a blast finisher on a 6 second cooldown and the toolbelt skill is great for stacking extra burns too.

Combine that with holo forge and you're dishing out quite a lot of DPS, that's a lot of burns.You can deal crazy amounts of damage in very little time, to multiple targets, and boon yourself with a lot of might constantly if you build for it. Every condi you can stack while in forge mode deals that extra damage as well.

You have to also be quick as lightning with your fingers and nimble with your brains to really get this class to work, you simply can't play this like the others and expect good results. You also have to be very precise and have good memory, as equipping a kit while the skill you want to pop is still on cooldown, you're losing a lot of DPS.It's a lot harder than what folks are used to in MMOs, but very rewarding when you learn it.

Turrets are quite bad, simply put. They're easy to use, but that's it. There's some more use for a couple of them in specialized situations and builds, but generally there's always a better option.Even med kit has a ranged targetable blast finisher in the 5th skill, it has a lot of offensive potential when compared to healing turret.

edit: oh yea, get a wintersday bell from the trading post. Instruments are great for training finger speed and precision.

this is the scrapper i use in open world and dungeons/fractals.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlZwgYVMLWJO2LvtfA-zRIYRU0PGNLgKJgqGA-e

it has decent survivability, lots of AOE, very high dps burst and overall decent dps especially if you have a team who give you constant boons with swiftness, stab or super speed.if you have a great team that give the boons you need plus lots of other boons you can replace the elixir B by a kit or a damaging spell/utility spell depending on the need.(you get 5% damage for each boons you have if you also have swiftness, superspeed or stab).

if with randoms or playing solo, your burst consist of using both elixir at the same time with the gyro and hammer skills. for 6 sec you will have an incredible dps.then use your elixir belt skill one after the other when you lose your stab or superspeed to constantly keep the bonus damage on boons.also try to use your hammer jump skill (3) inside thunder field to get superspeed. (you have utility gyro f5, belt ability of the used guro and hammer thunder field (5) to put thunder fields.keep in mind that the elixir U is used as a buffer skill and not as a breakstun utility spell. but you can still keep it as a breakstun dependign on the situation and your team mates.using healing turret and exploding it right away with scrapper also give you superspeed.

i think this scrapper build is the best of the easiest dps build for engineer as it doesn't require any weapon switching. (tho you could still take one if you want like the elixir gun)also never stay at full energy. do dodge sometimes to reset the explosif trait that deal extra damage after a dodge.ultimate is just for extra stun, superspeed, possible invisibility, heal and survivability in open world pve. but you can take anything that suit your playstyle.

in optimum situation (which you will never fully reach unless with a good team combo for few seconds) with the boss you are facing having all condition from the game and you having all boons from the game + at least 5 explosive stack (can reach 10) and staying above 90% HP you get (with archetype only):■ +450 power.■ +100 ferocity (+200 is the max).■ +138.5% damage (so you basically more than double your base damage. now imagine with crits...).■ +25% crit chance.and with the right sigil you can get even more power and bonus damage.you could even use the rune of the scolar for that extra 10% damage.

adding to that the fact you can use your basic attacks and high damage skill at the same time as your gyro skill, its utility belt skill and your thunder field with hammer gives you the best burst any class could have on an unmoving boss for a few seconds.

Beyond the niche capabilities of the Rifle Turret's toolbelt skill, turrets are a joke, also Pistols are strictly condition based with perhaps the exception of Dart Vollet that can hit somewhat hard.

-Here's a classic:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAQRlZUw06YcxsoqGalO2XlvdA-zVRYBRRIG+xodiUpIMPLRcGB-w

Activate the forge, go to town, blow up with the Photonic Blasting Module. During your off time, make do with Blunderbuss, Bomb 2, Grenade Barrage, Bomb 1 and Laser Disk everytime the heat's above 50% threshold. The rest of skills remain relevant should you require to create space (Rifle 4), close the gap (Rifle 5), ot generally debuff your foes (The rest of the grenade and bomb abilities). It's worth noting that the combination of the Big Ol'Bomb and Overrcharged shot is enough to break a champion's bar on your own if it isn't scaled up.

I left the marauder gear because it kind of works but it's preferable to go berserker of course.

-And the Pistol variant:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeABoqprlZUw06YcxsuqWalOWL5rSA-zVJYmRT/ZEnEJEFhcnkF3A-w

More complicated but perhaps safer: Throw everything you have at your foes from your pistols and kits, with the priority being Flamethrower 4, Bomb 2, Grenade 2, all the other explosive abilities all the way up to the mortar kit itself are good to apply for the various debilitating conditions combined with Shrapnel, Incendiary Powder and Sigil of Earth which will apply burning and bleeding, unloading your pistols is good too during the offtime.

Nothing up there is necessarily set is stone and if you don't deem let's say, the bomb kit to be useful you're free to replace it with preferably another kit like the Tool Kit for the shield and the wrench-rang on power builds.

@"MrForz.1953" said:Beyond the niche capabilities of the Rifle Turret's toolbelt skill, turrets are a joke, also Pistols are strictly condition based with perhaps the exception of Dart Vollet that can hit somewhat hard.

-Here's a classic:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAQRlZUw06YcxsoqGalO2XlvdA-zVRYBRRIG+xodiUpIMPLRcGB-w

Activate the forge, go to town, blow up with the Photonic Blasting Module. During your off time, make do with Blunderbuss, Bomb 2, Grenade Barrage, Bomb 1 and Laser Disk everytime the heat's above 50% threshold. The rest of skills remain relevant should you require to create space (Rifle 4), close the gap (Rifle 5), ot generally debuff your foes (The rest of the grenade and bomb abilities). It's worth noting that the combination of the Big Ol'Bomb and Overrcharged shot is enough to break a champion's bar on your own if it isn't scaled up.

I left the marauder gear because it kind of works but it's preferable to go berserker of course.

-And the Pistol variant:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeABoqprlZUw06YcxsuqWalOWL5rSA-zVJYmRT/ZEnEJEFhcnkF3A-w

More complicated but perhaps safer: Throw everything you have at your foes from your pistols and kits, with the priority being Flamethrower 4, Bomb 2, Grenade 2, all the other explosive abilities all the way up to the mortar kit itself are good to apply for the various debilitating conditions combined with Shrapnel, Incendiary Powder and Sigil of Earth which will apply burning and bleeding, unloading your pistols is good too during the offtime.

Nothing up there is necessarily set is stone and if you don't deem let's say, the bomb kit to be useful you're free to replace it with preferably another kit like the Tool Kit for the shield and the wrench-rang on power builds.

Thanks for these! I will play around with both builds. Try to do some theorycrafting that meshes with my play style.