Elite spec with spear as ground weapon.

HowlKamui.5120

Which professions do you think would this fit with?

I think spears have a lot of potential as a ground weapon. Some classes can wield it as a poke-y mid-ranged weapon while others could have it as a sweeping aoe weapon. It can also be used creatively as a thrown weapon either physically or magically.

Personally, I'd like for warriors to gain access to spears as a ground weapon and have them play as archetypal spearmen. Mesmers could also use it as sort of a levitating weapon around them similar to how Xaldin from the Kingdom Hearts Series uses his spears. Would be a much needed power option for mesmers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that they will make spear available for combat on land.

There is not enough benefit in making a mechanical change like that. Especially if they could also get the effect by simply giving warriors access to staves through elite spec, then giving them spear combat abilities and releasing new spear skins for staff. We already have staff skins which look like spears, so this wouldn't be something too new.

Just seems weird warrior can use all these different weapons but not a spear, who at anet thought hmmm warrior should be able to use more variety of weapons cuz it a warrior then leaves out one of the most common and iconic melee battle weapons. That's like designing ele and making staff or scepter not being unusable on the class. Same for guard class, as soon as staff was considered spear and spear like skills and how fitting it would be for it should been obvious.

@Revolution.5409 said:

@Revolution.5409 said:In my opinion, Warrior, Guardian and Mesmer.

I think Guardian should get Trident as a thrown weapon.

If I think of a Guardian and a spear, GW's Paragon immediately comes to mind. :)

I think the trident fits better with Revenant and Elementalist.

I don't disagree. I'd rather have spear on Warrior and Warrior be the Paragon though. But realistically they absorbed Monk and Paragon into the Guardian class. Trident strikes me as more of a thrown weapon in this case though.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

If I think of a Guardian and a spear, GW's Paragon immediately comes to mind. :)

I don't disagree. I'd rather have spear on Warrior and Warrior be the Paragon though. But realistically they absorbed Monk and Paragon into the Guardian class. Trident strikes me as more of a thrown weapon in this case though.

I wouldn't like to see Warrior use battle songs. XD

I would prefer more a Warrior / Lancer capable of using martial skills, I think it is more suitable for the Warrior theme in gw2

@Revolution.5409 said:

I would prefer more a Warrior / Lancer capable of using martial skills, I think it is more suitable for the Warrior theme in gw2

I posted a possible Warrior e-spec with a spear with that kind of setup. I'd prefer pistol/pistol and support skills/tree because warrior needs a better range game and better support. The e-spec I posted for spear was definitely a lancer with support. It has a 1200 range immob and a 1200 range leap (several leaps actually). If we get another melee weapon it needs to be on par with GS for mobility, and on par with Axe for DPS.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I posted a possible Warrior e-spec with a spear with that kind of setup. I'd prefer pistol/pistol and support skills/tree because warrior needs a better range game and better support. The e-spec I posted for spear was definitely a lancer with support. It has a 1200 range immob and a 1200 range leap (several leaps actually). If we get another melee weapon it needs to be on par with GS for mobility, and on par with Axe for DPS.

If we get a melee weapon I wish it didn't have GS rooting problems.In BDO Online there is a class called Musa, it equips a spear called Crescent Blade, it is oriental in theme and it would adapt very well even with the expansion of Cantha, I would like Warrior to get something thematically similar with good mobility, self buffs and Aoe damage.

@Revolution.5409 said:

If we get a melee weapon I wish it didn't have GS rooting problems.In BDO Online there is a class called Musa, it equips a spear called Crescent Blade, it is oriental in theme and it would adapt very well even with the expansion of Cantha, I would like Warrior to get something thematically similar with good mobility, self buffs and Aoe damage.

Musa uses glaives, not spears though.Maehwa uses spears.

I don't want a glaive-wielding Warrior, we already have enough slashing weapons.I want a spear-wielder that pokes its way through HP bars.

@Fueki.4753 said:

I don't want a glaive-wielding Warrior, we already have enough slashing weapons.I want a spear-wielder that pokes its way through HP bars.

Yeah musa uses a crescent blade type pole arm more suited to rev like skills.Warrior be more pike type spear with thrust and poke type skills, maybe one throw for kicks lol. If that did happen I'd be awesome if they gave warrior a few stances that change the skills like a high stance, med stance and low stance in basic sense.High stance slower high deeps with one hard cc skillMedium more defensive with a block and mediocre deepsLow stance fast low dps pokes with some soft cc's

Yeah musa uses a crescent blade type pole arm more suited to rev like skills.Warrior be more pike type spear with thrust and poke type skills, maybe one throw for kicks lol. If that did happen I'd be awesome if they gave warrior a few stances that change the skills like a high stance, med stance and low stance in basic sense.

Thanks for the correction guys I made confusion between the two classes.Even Maehwa's style would have been adapted to the Warrior.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:If that did happen I'd be awesome if they gave warrior a few stances that change the skills like a high stance, med stance and low stance in basic sense.High stance slower high deeps with one hard cc skillMedium more defensive with a block and mediocre deepsLow stance fast low dps pokes with some soft cc'sDid you happen to play Nioh (2) lately?

That aside, I can't imagine Arenanet giving us multiple such stances, as they'd have to apply that playstyle (which would most likely replace the Burst skill class mechanic) to all core weapons as well. I don't see Arenanet giving each weapon two skill sets.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:If that did happen I'd be awesome if they gave warrior a few stances that change the skills like a high stance, med stance and low stance in basic sense.High stance slower high deeps with one hard cc skillMedium more defensive with a block and mediocre deepsLow stance fast low dps pokes with some soft cc'sDid you happen to play Nioh (2) lately?

Lol nioh are one of the few games I play outside of mmo's along side shadow tactics, last of us and hopefully soon to be lou 2 and ghost of tsushima :)Good deduction skills Haha

Yeah musa uses a crescent blade type pole arm more suited to rev like skills.Warrior be more pike type spear with thrust and poke type skills, maybe one throw for kicks lol. If that did happen I'd be awesome if they gave warrior a few stances that change the skills like a high stance, med stance and low stance in basic sense.High stance slower high deeps with one hard cc skillMedium more defensive with a block and mediocre deepsLow stance fast low dps pokes with some soft cc's

Hmmm.... F1, F2, F3 skills or a Spear5 that toggles between the stances?

F1,f2 and f3 would work perfect for such. Combine with some stance supporting elites along with current stances for true stance build lolName foot soldier or somthing.

F1,f2 and f3 would work perfect for such. Combine with some stance supporting elites along with current stances for true stance build lolName foot soldier or somthing.

What about the other weapons? Are you proposing 2 new weapon bars for each warrior weapon? Also I'm 100000% for that if that is the case. Opportunity to change some stale weapons. Make a pure power stance for sword and a pure condi stance for it as well, a less mobile but higher DPS GS stance, and a more mobile and evasive one. The CDs on the stances would have to be longish though, like 15s. Not sure if they'd have to require adrenaline though or how they would work with adrenaline unless these ere F2-F4 and F1 was a T1 burst like Spellbreaker.

What about the other weapons? Are you proposing 2 new weapon bars for each warrior weapon? Also I'm 100000% for that if that is the case. Opportunity to change some stale weapons. Make a pure power stance for sword and a pure condi stance for it as well, a less mobile but higher DPS GS stance, and a more mobile and evasive one. The CDs on the stances would have to be longish though, like 15s. Not sure if they'd have to require adrenaline though or how they would work with adrenaline unless these ere F2-F4 and F1 was a T1 burst like Spellbreaker.

Yeah that was the idea as the f1,f2,f3 stance/weapon skill change would be its whole mechanic to set it apart from the game,also would be a great progression for the class and game if they followed with other unique ideas for other classes.My only concern is the design team might not be up to the task of designing that many new weapon skills as realistically and unfortunately they'll most likely chose the fastest and easiest(lazy) approach to the new elite mechanic design's.

I really hope none, as I do not find spears fun in any game. I'ts just a poor mans poke stick.If anything the spear would have fit the guardian the most with Dragon Hunter, however that boat was missed. The other is Ranger as it is a 'hunters' weapon.

@Smoosh.2718 said:I really hope none, as I do not find spears fun in any game. I'ts just a poor mans poke stick.If anything the spear would have fit the guardian the most with Dragon Hunter, however that boat was missed. The other is Ranger as it is a 'hunters' weapon.

Spear is hunters weapon? Sure but it's also thee most or one of thee most used weapon in irl combat thru history, sry u dont find the idea of the weapon fun tho.