Elite spec with spear as ground weapon.

HowlKamui.5120

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Smoosh.2718 said:I really hope none, as I do not find spears fun in any game. I'ts just a poor mans poke stick.If anything the spear would have fit the guardian the most with Dragon Hunter, however that boat was missed. The other is Ranger as it is a 'hunters' weapon.

Spear is hunters weapon? Sure but it's also thee most or one of thee most used weapon in irl combat thru history, sry u dont find the idea of the weapon fun tho.

It was one of the most used weapons in armies because it was cheap.Every game I have played with a spear in it, it has just not been fun, there is something about it that looks jarring and just does not look interesting to watch. Unless Anet can do something really innative with the spear and really change the dynamics of the weapon (which i doubt sadly) It's not a weapon I'd want to see.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@Smoosh.2718 said:I really hope none, as I do not find spears fun in any game. I'ts just a poor mans poke stick.If anything the spear would have fit the guardian the most with Dragon Hunter, however that boat was missed. The other is Ranger as it is a 'hunters' weapon.

Spear is hunters weapon? Sure but it's also thee most or one of thee most used weapon in irl combat thru history, sry u dont find the idea of the weapon fun tho.

It was one of the most used weapons in armies because it was cheap.Every game I have played with a spear in it, it has just not been fun, there is something about it that looks jarring and just does not look interesting to watch. Unless Anet can do something really innative with the spear and really change the dynamics of the weapon (which i doubt sadly) It's not a weapon I'd want to see.

I love spears in ff14, dragoons skills are amazing, nioh spear also aawesome and fun weapon to use, also very effective. All personal opinion tho.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I love spears in ff14, dragoons skills are amazing, nioh spear also aawesome and fun weapon to use, also very effective. All personal opinion tho.

The only cool thing about the Dragoon is the leaps, but i can not stand the stabby poke it does. D:

@Smoosh.2718 said:

The only cool thing about the Dragoon is the leaps, but i can not stand the stabby poke it does. D:

Lol that's completely fair for sure but I and a lot of others so like the thrusts especially when tied to different animations leading up to thrust, I agree if it was just a weapon full of strait up pokes I'd be boring but hopefully anet would be more creative than that but then again... lol

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Smoosh.2718 said:there is something about it that looks jarring and just does not look interesting to watch.

And I think it's boring how swords are constantly featured as the greatest weapons in media, when they never were all that great in reality.Everyone has their own cup of tea.

This^ I never understood where that came from. I get the Japanese, chinese and somewhat mongol sword fighting styles being sensationalized by the masses due to their stylistic movements but other than those Pole arms, axes and bows etc in my eyes are far more interesting styles of combat but again all subjective.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Smoosh.2718 said:there is something about it that looks jarring and just does not look interesting to watch.

And I think it's boring how swords are constantly featured as the greatest weapons in media, when they never were all that great in reality.Everyone has their own cup of tea.

This^ I never understood where that came from. I get the Japanese, chinese and somewhat mongol sword fighting styles being sensationalized by the masses due to their stylistic movements but other than those Pole arms, axes and bows etc in my eyes are far more interesting styles of combat but again all subjective.

I would love a freaking Lucerne Hammer in this game that functioned as a pole arm and not a 'staff' or 'hammer'

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I would love a freaking Lucerne Hammer in this game that functioned as a pole arm and not a 'staff' or 'hammer'

Wait, I am confused.Isn't a Lucerne Hammer technically a warhammer, as the name suggests?

@Kodama.6453 said:

Wait, I am confused.Isn't a Lucerne Hammer technically a warhammer, as the name suggests?

Despite it's English name and how one of it's three (or two, depending on the model) head parts is used, it's classified as a polearm.That just like halberds are classified as polearms instead being classified as axes, despite the word originating from the word Halmbarte, which literally means stick axe or axe on a stick.

@Kodama.6453 said:

It is actually a combination of a Bec de Corbin with a Warhammer attached to a 7ft pole. It is a pole arm with a either a flat or pronged hammer head with a pick on the opposite side, and typically also features a bladed tip for stabbing and slashing. It is a very versatile weapon that can be used for tripping, disarming, repositioning a foe, can bludgeon, can pierce, and stab. It really is a swiss army knife on a long stick.

Demon's Souls featured it as a weapon, and is a fairly decent representation of the weapon.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:It really is a swiss army knife on a long stick.Don't forget it, in English it's named after the Swiss town it has been invented in.Or at least it's theorized to have been invented there, due to many of them having been discovered there.So it practically was the original "Swiss Army Knife".

Demon's Souls featured it as a weapon, and is a fairly decent representation of the weapon.It's also in Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3.I was surprised that Bloodborne didn't have a similar weapon (unless you count the Church Pick as similar).

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:It really is a swiss army knife on a long stick.Don't forget it, in English it's named after the Swiss town it has been invented in.Or at least it's theorized to have been invented there, due to many of them having been discovered there.So it practically was the original "Swiss Army Knife".I am aware that it is a Swiss weapon and my statement was alluding to it.Demon's Souls featured it as a weapon, and is a fairly decent representation of the weapon.It's also in Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3.I was surprised that Bloodborne didn't have a similar weapon (unless you count the Church Pick as similar).

I know, but the version in Demon's Souls is vastly better. Dark Souls' take on polearms became slow AF weapons that do not do them justice in reality. Even the HAlberd Staggered you on a whiffed poke which made no sense.

@mikdepadua.8376 said:Which professions do you think would this fit with?

I think spears have a lot of potential as a ground weapon. Some classes can wield it as a poke-y mid-ranged weapon while others could have it as a sweeping aoe weapon. It can also be used creatively as a thrown weapon either physically or magically.

Personally, I'd like for warriors to gain access to spears as a ground weapon and have them play as archetypal spearmen. Mesmers could also use it as sort of a levitating weapon around them similar to how Xaldin from the Kingdom Hearts Series uses his spears. Would be a much needed power option for mesmers.

I personally thought this is what dragon hunter should have got instead of the bow, it just makes more sense.

@Ryou.2398 said:

I think spears have a lot of potential as a ground weapon. Some classes can wield it as a poke-y mid-ranged weapon while others could have it as a sweeping aoe weapon. It can also be used creatively as a thrown weapon either physically or magically.

Personally, I'd like for warriors to gain access to spears as a ground weapon and have them play as archetypal spearmen. Mesmers could also use it as sort of a levitating weapon around them similar to how Xaldin from the Kingdom Hearts Series uses his spears. Would be a much needed power option for mesmers.

I personally thought this is what dragon hunter should have got instead of the bow, it just makes more sense.

Lore-wise Braham took up his mother's bow becoming the first DH so I think it makes sense.

@mikdepadua.8376 said:

Lore-wise Braham took up his mother's bow becoming the first DH so I think it makes sense.

Which is something I really liked flavourwise. They did it for some, like Braham as the first dragon hunter and Marjory as a reaper. But I think we can expand on that.

• Rox could become a druid by learning the lessons of the Olmakhan, which have quite some druids in their own rows and generally feel way more "in touch with nature" than the other charr
  • I personally would enjoy to see a chemical focused elite spec for engineers in the next expansion, which would fit perfectly for Canach. Could definitely see him working with acids, poison gases, and so on. He already used poison bombs in the past
  • Taimi could have become a holosmith, creating stuff with hard light could be pretty handy for her, especially with her current health problems
  • Kasmeer maybe could also adapt to a new elite spec with the next expansion, personally I want something that is focused on music and dancing, which I think could fit her character pretty well

@mikdepadua.8376 said:

Well last I checked this is an mmorpg, regardless of lore in fantasy a dragon hunter type of character with heavy armor should use a spear. We are not arguing lore anyways, if the bow is to clunky on the character to be fun then a spear would make more sense.

@Ryou.2398 said:

Someone like the awesomeness that is known as the dragoon.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Yes I will admin that is where some of the concept comes from lol.

Check out Lake Doric, they did give the Seraph NPCs their own spear skills on land.

Warrior would be like a Sentry or Sentinel with a polearm (some of the spear skins are pretty much polearms)Guardian, Defender? Lance? I dunno what it would be.

@"Kodama.6453" said:

• Kasmeer maybe could also adapt to a new elite spec with the next expansion, personally I want something that is focused on music and dancing, which I think could fit her character pretty well

Pole dancer? Sorry had to say that!Seriously, sounds like Warhorn theme, and likely called "Siren".

@Ryou.2398 said:

Lol nice!

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Lol nice!

Admit haha!