Why do we keep falling for ANET's bait and switch?

Psybehr.2518

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:

@"JTGuevara.9018" said:You mean the update rhythm that allows for pvp patches every MONTH since february as opposed to every TWO OR THREE months as it was in the past? Yeah, I did my homework. Come on guys....the information is
right
there in the patch notes! Stop lying!

Ok dude I'mma be honest with you, I'm a developer and if I went to my boss and said "in this month of work I changed 7 numbers and removed 7 vfx" I'd be fired on the spot.That's not a balance patch, that's 1 literal hour of work, one of those things you could instadeploy in production without even testing, that's how "minor" it is.

This is what I mean ^The big game changing patch didnt even require much work or thought lol it was just a blanket decrease to all power coefficients whether a skill needed it or not. Literally the laziest and quickest way to do a large patch and call it a balance pass. Literally all that's being changed in the last YEAR is number changes and not individual thought out number changes but blanket changes and changes steered by vocal threads. No real thought out number change to increase actual balance and zero mechanical changes. I really dont understand how all this is flying under most of the players radar, is it blind fanboyism, Or a ignorance is bliss situation? I don't get it.If a small team actually put work into balancing the game as a job we'd see more changes in one months time than what this games received this year, yeah that patch was huge but actually think of the work that went onto it, not much.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"JTGuevara.9018" said:You mean the update rhythm that allows for pvp patches every MONTH since february as opposed to every TWO OR THREE months as it was in the past? Yeah, I did my homework. Come on guys....the information is
right

Ok dude I'mma be honest with you, I'm a developer and if I went to my boss and said "in this month of work I changed 7 numbers and removed 7 vfx" I'd be fired on the spot.That's not a balance patch, that's 1 literal hour of work, one of those things you could instadeploy in production without even testing, that's how "minor" it is.

This is what I mean ^The big game changing patch didnt even require much work or thought lol it was just a blanket decrease to all power coefficients whether a skill needed it or not. Literally the laziest and quickest way to do a large patch and call it a balance pass. Literally all that's being changed in the last YEAR is number changes and not individual thought out number changes but blanket changes and changes steered by vocal threads. No real thought out number change to increase actual balance and zero mechanical changes. I really dont understand how all this is flying under most of the players radar, is it blind fanboyism, Or a ignorance is bliss situation? I don't get it.If a small team actually put work into balancing the game as a job we'd see more changes in one months time than what this games received this year, yeah that patch was huge but actually think of the work that went onto it, not much.

I think more thought goes into things than people realise or want to give credit for. Here are some number changes for SB but CMC puts down their discussion they had in the background over these and their reasoning. The list of things they changed the numbers on is pretty small and seems near insignificant of a workload but then you look at the process and see there is more to it. Just an example.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

right

I think more thought goes into things than people realise or want to give credit for.
are some number changes for SB but CMC puts down their discussion they had in the background over these and their reasoning. The list of things they changed the numbers on is pretty small and seems near insignificant of a workload but then you look at the process and see there is more to it.

Yeah I hear what ur saying unfortunately that's not the case here. Yes a lot of work goes into balance decisions, descisions regarding SELECTIVE number tweaks and semi regular mechanical changes but this is not what we are seeing here. We have seen a large blanket coefficient drop a ross everything with zero thought needed behind it followed by minor number tweaks fueled by vocal threads not thru their close and careful considerations and zero mechanical changes for purpose of balance. That said the things u mentioned a out it being a full task to continually balance a game properly I agree with.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

right

I think more thought goes into things than people realise or want to give credit for.
are some number changes for SB but CMC puts down their discussion they had in the background over these and their reasoning. The list of things they changed the numbers on is pretty small and seems near insignificant of a workload but then you look at the process and see there is more to it.

Yeah I hear what ur saying unfortunately that's not the case here. Yes a lot of work goes into balance decisions, descisions regarding SELECTIVE number tweaks and semi regular mechanical changes but this is not what we are seeing here. We have seen a large blanket coefficient drop a ross everything with zero thought needed behind it followed by minor number tweaks fueled by vocal threads not thru their close and careful considerations and zero mechanical changes for purpose of balance. That said the things u mentioned a out it being a full task to continually balance a game properly I agree with.

But thats what @JTGuevara.9018 is referring to. All the selective changes that have happened after. Pretty much everything after has been selective changes. You can semi correlate what gets nerfed to complaints but what actually gets put in is very different to the myriad of rants and " reasonable changes" that get suggested by the forum. Its more carefully considered that credit is given and I wouldnt be surprised that the level of thought that went intot he SB changes has gone into these "minor" changes as well.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

right

But thats what @JTGuevara.9018 is referring to. All the selective changes that have happened after. Pretty much everything after has been selective changes. You can semi correlate what gets nerfed to complaints but what actually gets put in is very different to the myriad of rants and " reasonable changes" that get suggested by the forum. Its more carefully considered that credit is given and I wouldnt be surprised that the level of thought that went intot he SB changes has gone into these "minor" changes as well.

Have they been selective? Or have they been small number tweaks that required zero though or much work to appease the community outcries. They were all small tweaks to exactly what forum threads have been discussing not changes that felt like they were closely and carefully selected and applied by the devs, least imo which means little in the end lol.

@Kickpuncher.8109 said:I stopped a while ago, the most hope I hold out for the game is to visit the forums every now and again. The ANET devs stopped respecting PVP and the PVP community a long time ago.

Kinda the same here. I still frequent the forums and do have hope someday the game will improve and on the other hand reading the threads continually make me feel better about having had moved on to another mmo lol.