[Suggestion] Water DPS trait/skills for Elementalist

FrozenEve.6875

As a long time water elementalist player from GW1, it's so frustrating for me to see how disparate the traits for the water line are. I understand that developers have tried to make water the "support/healing/utility" attunement but even then, most of this utility and support comes from runes and stats rather than skills themselves. I'd genuinely be ecstatic if the developers brought back the ice dps themes from GW1 which made water such a wonderful attunement to play and could be so easily implemented with water traitlines that allow dps to occur on inflicting conditions like chill or vulnerability. If reaper can get some frost-themed love, I'm sure water elementalists can get that too!

Someone mentioned this before, but the grand masters for water traitline are all supportive. One of those should be combined with the other (cough, cough : soothing power and powerful aura) and the free trait should include some type of damage buff.

Maybe:Critical hits cause vulnerability and chill

Or chill lasts longer and deals damage

Or Frost aura now pulses damage for its duration. Damage reduction of frost aura increased to 25%

• 2 weeks later...

so basically in order to make weaver stronger we just need to add more dmg to water trait line so some might run it in order to become even more tanky and do even more dmg?

tbh i play core ele and most people cant even handle me on it and no im nowhere near good at ele water is amazing as its.doesnt need any dmg boost on it or w/e

• 1 month later...

@"reddie.5861" said:so basically in order to make weaver stronger we just need to add more dmg to water trait line so some might run it in order to become even more tanky and do even more dmg?

tbh i play core ele and most people cant even handle me on it and no im nowhere near good at ele water is amazing as its.doesnt need any dmg boost on it or w/e

Guy, you don't know what you are talking about.Every class has their good players and it is far from being the majority of them.You can't say something like that, I have two reasons for you.The first is that they splited PvE skills from PvP. So you don't have to worry about "the Weaver getting stronger". The Balance Patch is always there.Weaver is not tanky at all and not everyone plays with Weaver, it still has Tempest and some play with the core.

Obs: I never saw anyone complain about being strong(Tanky).

@Stallic.2397 said:Maybe:Critical hits cause vulnerability and chill

Or Frost aura now pulses damage for its duration. Damage reduction of frost aura increased to 25%

Great ideas

@JohnWater.5760 said:

@"reddie.5861" said:so basically in order to make weaver stronger we just need to add more dmg to water trait line so some might run it in order to become even more tanky and do even more dmg?

Guy, you don't know what you are talking about.Every class has their good players and it is far from being the majority of them.You can't say something like that, I have two reasons for you.The first is that they splited PvE skills from PvP. So you don't have to worry about "the Weaver getting stronger". The Balance Patch is always there.Weaver is not tanky at all and not everyone plays with Weaver, it still has Tempest and some play with the core.

Great ideas

Both water and fire weaver builds are quite tanky.

@"Infusion.7149" said:There's a a water DPS trait that hinges on vulnerability: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Piercing_Shards

I mean, thing about this trait and the rest of the “damage oriented skills and traits” on water line, is it lacks any sort of viable synergy.

By this I mean, that it’s only a 10% damage modifier. If it actually synergized with other traits or abilities it would make a water based damage dealer more interesting rather than just going Fire and taking water to improve fire damage.

For example, a trait that makes frost aura apply vulnerability is a start. Maybe make every application of vulnerability do a little bit of damage. Adding synergies would give the specs more build options and a better identity but right now we have these rather boring non-impactful skills that don’t add any possibilities.

@JohnWater.5760 said:

Great ideas

i never play PvE so i dunno what ur on about and if a weaver isnt tanky enough for u i dont know what ur doing but it can out sustain most people while coming out on top most of the time. yes i know it has only 2 stun breaks in most builds, but try burst down a weaver, ur wasting ur time ur better off making weaver rotate around map then trying to waste ur time on point.

• 4 months later...

I agree, IMO water should do nearly as much damage as fire does just so people have better options to pick their primary attunements. It will also will be more useful for people who want to specialize in specific attunements as an option for those of us who want to rather than having fire as primary now all the time. Healing/support should be moved to utility I think.

I don't judge anyone for disagreeing but IMO, I like that the four elements have roles associated with them. I think each element should have an ability that does respectable damage with varying cooldowns to motivate elementalists to switch to it, but I don't see a benefit to making water a viable DPS element when it comes with the detriment of making the class harder to balance.

@Tuco.2419 said:I don't judge anyone for disagreeing but IMO, I like that the four elements have roles associated with them. I think each element should have an ability that does respectable damage with varying cooldowns to motivate elementalists to switch to it, but I don't see a benefit to making water a viable DPS element when it comes with the detriment of making the class harder to balance.

I understand what you are saying but I would at least rather have 1 ability on eles water do nearly as much damage as fire 1 ability , or at least be able to apply vulnerability to targets because IMO the 1 ability on water is useless, I am mainly talking about staff but I assume its the same for the other weapons too. Ideally I would prefer to see more conditions being applied from water like vulnra and chill.

Just so there is at least some form of attack/defense while other attunements are in cooldown because in PVP/WvW some people can take advantage of that because you wont have access to any hard hitting ability or decent damage to defend yourself with.

If not they can always make a new elite spec in the future that would cater to people who want to play as 1 element type of the players choosing. It would be a neat idea IMO.

Water doesn't have to be the main DPS traitline or even close to the strongest. But it's sad to see Eles miss the opportunity of becoming ice mages.

Reaper for example, has much better effeciency with Chill than Ele does. Why can't Eles have the option to build around Chill and vulnerability.

Piercing shards is a good start but that idea needs to be elaborated in Water itself. Right now, Air and Water traitlines have to be combined to get a good benefit.

Make chill deal damage. Or Chill applies vulnerability. Make crits deal chill on an appropriate cooldown

@Stallic.2397 said:Water doesn't have to be the main DPS traitline or even close to the strongest. But it's sad to see Eles miss the opportunity of becoming ice mages.

Reaper for example, has much better effeciency with Chill than Ele does. Why can't Eles have the option to build around Chill and vulnerability.

Piercing shards is a good start but that idea needs to be elaborated in Water itself. Right now, Air and Water traitlines have to be combined to get a good benefit.

Make chill deal damage. Or Chill applies vulnerability. Make crits deal chill on an appropriate cooldown

IKR its is sad that we are stuck as pyromancers, I hope they at least decide on making a future elite spec that allows players to specialize in 1 element type. It just one of those things that bugs me.