Best low skill requirement class for all game modes?

HowlKamui.5120

Hey, im a returning player (but i techincally consider myself new because all i did before was unranked spvp), and im looking to main a class for all game modes.

I really enjoy elementalist and mesmer, but find it too tiring to play sometimes, especially after long work hours. That's why im searching for a class that can perform well in all game modes (I especially like sPvP and roaming in WvW) with a low skill requirement (like i dont have to worry too much about combo-ing skills or playing piano on my weaver). I understand that GW2 is a skill based game and I do believe that i'm skilled enough to play those classes, but not ALL the time. That's why im looking for a class that's relatively straight forward and useful in all game modes.

based on scouring the forums, I think i've narrowed it down to Guardians, Necros, and Rangers as being straightforward classes that can do well in game modes. So my question is, which of them can roam the best? I probably solo roam 50% of the time, and with 2 other friends on the other half.

I'd probably say ranger. Has some of the best builds available and means of escape if you're roaming. Guardian and Necromancer are both lacking in mobility, especially necromancer which can hurt them in roaming. Not saying either of them are bad but its something to consider. From what I've seen all are good in PvP but again I think ranger will serve you the best since it has these escape and movement options, on top of being able to have your pet be able to just down foes. At least this is what I've seen.

@"mikdepadua.8376" said:Hey, im a returning player (but i techincally consider myself new because all i did before was unranked spvp), and im looking to main a class for all game modes.

I really enjoy elementalist and mesmer, but find it too tiring to play sometimes, especially after long work hours. That's why im searching for a class that can perform well in all game modes (I especially like sPvP and roaming in WvW) with a low skill requirement (like i dont have to worry too much about combo-ing skills or playing piano on my weaver). I understand that GW2 is a skill based game and I do believe that i'm skilled enough to play those classes, but not ALL the time. That's why im looking for a class that's relatively straight forward and useful in all game modes.

based on scouring the forums, I think i've narrowed it down to Guardians, Necros, and Rangers as being straightforward classes that can do well in game modes. So my question is, which of them can roam the best? I probably solo roam 50% of the time, and with 2 other friends on the other half.

Firebrands are meta in all game modes. Is basically a "use skills off CD", required in PVE, PVP and WVW. It is as tanky or oppressive as you want without any change in the build with the hybrid version.Next logical choice would be scourges, another brain dead class which you use skills off-cd. In PvP would be reaper with the "spin to win" skill. In PVE the most used is heal scourge.

And last would be ranger: you will enjoy the advantage of distance but you need to learn to kite properly or you will melt. Single target. Pets mostly work but they have some quirks you need to learn to play around otherwise you will have a dead pet most of the time. All your skills will be utility skills so you have to time them properly too while other classes can use dps utilities. Fine in PVP and PVE, unwanted in WVW. And you be hated everywhere because kids are salty about anything the ranger has but they don't experience it when they reroll.

Roaming in WvW is dead.

So my advice is go for Firebrand. You rotate between your tomes and mantras off-CD.

@Lily.1935 said:I'd probably say ranger. Has some of the best builds available and means of escape if you're roaming. Guardian and Necromancer are both lacking in mobility, especially necromancer which can hurt them in roaming. Not saying either of them are bad but its something to consider. From what I've seen all are good in PvP but again I think ranger will serve you the best since it has these escape and movement options, on top of being able to have your pet be able to just down foes. At least this is what I've seen.

Thanks for this. My main issue with rangers as I've recently found out is that it has no meaningful contributions to zergs.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"mikdepadua.8376" said:Hey, im a returning player (but i techincally consider myself new because all i did before was unranked spvp), and im looking to main a class for all game modes.

Firebrands are meta in all game modes. Is basically a "use skills off CD", required in PVE, PVP and WVW. It is as tanky or oppressive as you want without any change in the build with the hybrid version.Next logical choice would be scourges, another brain dead class which you use skills off-cd. In PvP would be reaper with the "spin to win" skill. In PVE the most used is heal scourge.

And last would be ranger: you will enjoy the advantage of distance but you need to learn to kite properly or you will melt. Single target. Pets mostly work but they have some quirks you need to learn to play around otherwise you will have a dead pet most of the time. All your skills will be utility skills so you have to time them properly too while other classes can use dps utilities. Fine in PVP and PVE, unwanted in WVW. And you be hated everywhere because kids are salty about anything the ranger has but they don't experience it when they reroll.

Roaming in WvW is dead.

So my advice is go for Firebrand. You rotate between your tomes and mantras off-CD.

@Yoci.2481 said:Firebrand.

Hmm I may consider looking up firebrands. Right now im having a lot of fun with Elementalists, but when i'm tired i sometimes dread playing my weaver, there's little room for error playing such a low armor, low hp class. When im focused I do well, but when i'm not it gets bad real quick. Trying a tempest roamer build rn tho since that spec has quite a relaxed playstyle compared to weaver.

But thanks, Ill check out Firebrands.

There are no easy class in sPvP. Only play sPvP on a class you already know how to play well in PvE. PvE if you want to cruise control, things like ranger work great, but if you are going for damage optimization they are the same. If you Zerg WvW play warrior or guardian. Roaming there are not many options probably ranger or thief.

My advice playing a class is never based on performance. It changes, and even if something is under performing, if you know how to play it, you will do well.

@otto.5684 said:There are no easy class in sPvP. Only play sPvP on a class you already know how to play well in PvE. PvE if you want to cruise control, things like ranger work great, but if you are going for damage optimization they are the same. If you Zerg WvW play warrior or guardian. Roaming there are not many options probably ranger or thief.

My advice playing a class is never based on performance. It changes, and even if something is under performing, if you know how to play it, you will do well.

Thank you! I want to clarify though that im not asking based on how it performs, but on how relaxed the playstyle is. I enjoy eles but not always, especially when my hands are tired from a work day. I want to narrow it down to one class too as i dont have a lot of gear yet and i want to pimp out that one class for all kinds of content. Im at that point in the game where ive maxed out crafting and have enough skirmish tickets to make 2 or 3 ascended weapons, and have all ascended trinkets.

Ascended armor will be next

If you are or plan to be good as Ele and you enjoy the playstile there's no reason to not devote your time to that class: albeit hard to master is powerfull in all game modes and at the moment has sustain to endure anything in PvP/WvW.

If you want to play something easier from the trio you listed I would recomend you the Ranger: I like both Guardian and Necro, but both have a low roof in terms of mobility, and Guardian is a "stat intensive class", because has very low base HP, so need to invest points in vitality (and Firebrand even in healing power) to survive in WvW.

The Ranger offers variants with high sustain, strong damage (in both physical and condition based builds) excellent mobility and also a good disengaging tools (access to stealth) to avoid unneeded deaths or just to reset a fight (is lame, but works for them). That's what I would chose if I were in your shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

@"anduriell.6280" said:

Roaming in WvW is dead.

Would you be able to link me a good FB build? The rotations on the ones I can see on metabattle look complicated.

Will be leveling this guy up from 1, so what is a good leveling build to prepare me for the FB?

Thanks in advance.

@Saraneth.6021 said:

@"anduriell.6280" said:

Roaming in WvW is dead.

Would you be able to link me a good FB build? The rotations on the ones I can see on metabattle look complicated.

Will be leveling this guy up from 1, so what is a good leveling build to prepare me for the FB?

Thanks in advance.

The ones in metabattle are fine imo. After trying out firebrands in pvp. I can say that they are one of the simpler classes to use out there. Dont be intimidated by the “rotations.”