How Aberrant and Fallen minion are made

Kevin Ardinez.8906

Shining Grove: Do you hear it? Jormag's whisper echoes through ice and stone. I must rid this place of it.Shining Grove: This shrine shepherds my people to Koda's side. But Jormag whispers to the departed, and they join the dragon.Shining Grove: A great kodan hero fell here long ago. Jormag mocks her—desecrates this place.Shining Grove: This shrine honors the fallen, but Jormag's voice breaks the silence. I must drive it away from here.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defend_the_kodan_priestess

Seems that the Fallen, given the above and their transparent appearance, are souls of the dead which have been tempted and turned by Jormag.

Also, not all Aberrants are made by the necromancers - just the Haunts as best we know. Other aberrants are made by other methods, mostly unknown, like the Boneskinner being norn/kodan who fell to cannibalism under Wolverine's influence. Though the aberrants do remind me of the vaettir, which a type of Nightmare - souls of the dead twisted by negative emotions/magic - and were sometimes subserviant to fallen Spirits of the Wild like Nulfastu.

Ok so the creation of fallen makes sense for races like kodan, but how does it work for the stuff like furflys and pinipals? If they’re souls of the dead tempted to join jormag does that mean those types of animals can think for themselves and are sentient to some extent?

@Fenom.9457 said:Ok so the creation of fallen makes sense for races like kodan, but how does it work for the stuff like furflys and pinipals? If they’re souls of the dead tempted to join jormag does that mean those types of animals can think for themselves and are sentient to some extent?

All living beings are sentient. Sentience refers to the ability to perceive or feel things. Basically, being capable of acknowledging your surroundings = sentience.

Jormag has always been depicted as a dragon that corrupts only the willing, even if the willingness is gained via trickery. The fact we have icebrood wolves and griffons show that the trickery and willingness is not exempt from animals. If Fallen are really just the same concept but with souls instead of living beings, then Fallen animals isn't surprising in the least.