Can we please get dungeons, fractals, etc. that scale with number of players in a group?

I really enjoy dungeon content, fractal content, etc. They have a lot to offer, gameplay-wise, story-wise, and setting-wise.

On the rare (rare) occasion where I find a group to run some core dungeon, said group always wants to speed-run it and skip everything. If we die a few times, people leave the party because they're used to steamrolling everything on the first try. If something isn't immediately obvious, no one wants to try to figure out a way to do it.

Fine. There's nothing wrong with speed-running, or wanting to do something quickly and efficiently, farming, etc. (I do it all the time!) There's something wrong, though, when it's the only way one can experience that content. You have developers spending thousands of man-hours creating content, dialogue, thinking of boss-mechanics, etc., just for all of that content to be relegated to a place where one can't actually experience it, even if they actively want to. I would love to be able to pick some dungeon, enter it, and spend a couple of hours (or however long) smashing my way through it, figuring things out, learning the bosses, etc.

I remember that a lot of the design of this game revolved around characters being self-contained units (everyone can heal, dodge, etc. There are lots of instances, personal stories, etc.). I think the ability to run dungeons, fractals, and other things would give players a ton of extra content to play with.

I just ran the Aetherblade path in Twilight Arbor for the first time where two people primarily spoke Spanish, one spoke French, one didn't speak, and I speak English. Everyone actually stuck through 'til the end. It took a couple of hours but god damnit it was so much fun.

@"AmagicalFishy.6935" said:I really enjoy dungeon content, fractal content, etc. They have a lot to offer, gameplay-wise, story-wise, and setting-wise.

On the rare (rare) occasion where I find a group to run some core dungeon, said group always wants to speed-run it and skip everything. If we die a few times, people leave the party because they're used to steamrolling everything on the first try. If something isn't immediately obvious, no one wants to try to figure out a way to do it.

Fine. There's nothing wrong with speed-running, or wanting to do something quickly and efficiently, farming, etc. (I do it all the time!) There's something wrong, though, when it's the only way one can experience that content. You have developers spending thousands of man-hours creating content, dialogue, thinking of boss-mechanics, etc., just for all of that content to be relegated to a place where one can't actually experience it, even if they actively want to. I would love to be able to pick some dungeon, enter it, and spend a couple of hours (or however long) smashing my way through it, figuring things out, learning the bosses, etc.

I remember that a lot of the design of this game revolved around characters being self-contained units (everyone can heal, dodge, etc. There are lots of instances, personal stories, etc.). I think the ability to run dungeons, fractals, and other things would give players a ton of extra content to play with.

I don't say i dissagree or anything, it's just that you play a 8 year old game. I am a day one player and still do dungeouns etc. I have heard these stories so many times and seen the settings for 8 years (dungeouns do not change at all and new ones will never happen as the content was discontinued).

That beeing said, I have seen (a couple of year ago) descriptions in LFG for dungeouns people wanting to go slow and they kick the ones that rush. So it's not impossible to have what you want. Just try "boss traning" or "going slow" or something alike, i'm sure you will be very successful with this!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, just make your own lfg and look for people who like to play slower, I like joining lower level groups as a healer and let the rest of the group handle the dps, I'm just tagging along as training wheels and to explain mechanics. Arah is actually alot funnier too if the group doesnt skip 95% of mobs, and lupi is quite interesting for first timers without reflection cheese.

Fractals are pretty much supposed to be that way.

But Dungeons are not, I've been vocal about having Dungeon story modes get a single player variant for a long time now.They did it with Arah for the sake of the personal story so I see no reason at all why they should do the same for the others since they are important to the personal story too, also fix their introduction mails as well so they appear at the right point during the personal story and not at a fixed level.

I make a point of attempting to do the dungeon stories solo but it's not always possible to do so.AC isn't too bad, one of the easiest ones.CM is a bit harder due to the amount of enemies and the scaling they have.. they hit really hard for their levels.TA is mostly easy but hits you with a big 5v1 end boss that throws the difficulty up quickly and you can easily get ganked to death.SE I don't remember very well and havent done this one in a little while.CoF Pretty easy like AC, one of the easiest to solo although the last boss is a bit slow.HotW.. Stupidly hard, This is the only dungeon story I have never managed to beat solo, I slogged through most of it but couldnt beat the last boss.CoE another one I don't remember atm, I know I beat it before solo though.Arah.. well it's got a solo friendly instance now so it's easy, probably a bit too easy.. but in general this dungeon could use some TLC, specially the final fight with Zhaitan.

@Teratus.2859 said:But Dungeons are not, I've been vocal about having Dungeon story modes get a single player variant for a long time now.

Dungeon story mode could indeed be made a solo experience. It would both make it easier to follow the story, as well as be used to prepare players for the layout of the dungeon.

Obviously this would require a redesign, which is unlikely to happen, as well as potentially adjustment to not counting towards Dungeon Frequenter. The rewards for the story mode are already low as is, so no adjustment needed there.

I disagree with dungeon explore-able paths be made solo though, it would reduce the little group content even further.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:But Dungeons are not, I've been vocal about having Dungeon story modes get a single player variant for a long time now.

Dungeon story mode could indeed be made a solo experience. It would both make it easier to follow the story, as well as be used to prepare players for the layout of the dungeon.

Obviously this would require a redesign, which is unlikely to happen, as well as potentially adjustment to not counting towards Dungeon Frequenter. The rewards for the story mode are already low as is, so no adjustment needed there.

I disagree with dungeon explore-able paths be made solo though, it would reduce the little group content even further.

I only ask for the story modes to get a SP mode, the explorable paths should absolutely remain 5 man content.It would ruin dungeons entirely to make the explorable paths soloable.

@Teratus.2859 said:

I only ask for the story modes to get a SP mode, the explorable paths should absolutely remain 5 man content.It would ruin dungeons entirely to make the explorable paths soloable.

Yeah, agreed. Not sure the devs will devote resources to dungeons again, but if they did, this would be a cool idea.

I think they should just scrap the existing dungeons (yes, including Arah) and give them a proper design. They have been a mess since the game launched. Caudicus Manor is just an awful gimmicky insta-kill fest that isn't any fun, and involves a lot of players getting lost. Ascalon Catacombs is just boring and repetitive, with a minor dps check. Arah is the one where everyone just runs past all the mobs and skips 80% of it. Citadel of Flame is again a dungeon where people just past everything, and the final boss seems kind of broken. Honor of the Waves, again, skippidy skip-skip, and bosses that are HP sponges. Twilight Arbor and Crusible of Eternity are just kind of forgettable. I don't like any of them.

• 5 months later...

I can understand why not do that on Fractals, since it's still popular and ANet surely want to promote teamwork, but in dungeons... that are close to dead.Half of the time have to stop Arah P1 because we aren't enough to spawn Tar, although we could perfectly defeat of and proceed to the end of the path.Same in CoF P1 and any CoE path. Half of the times we duo or trio till the braziers room (in CoF 1) and have to wait for whole ages till the team fills to do the mechanic. And very often, while waiting endlessly, people also start to leave the team, making it even more frustrating.Please ANet, think about our sanity!!