"Portable Waystation" mastery for old masteries

In this update, we got a new mastery line which is object-specific. Usually, these types of masteries are bad because they're very, very limited in where they can be used. However, unlike past such masteries, this mastery line has the third tier allowing players to buy consumables to use these masteries in any open world map of the game.

This is a godsend for these types of masteries, and I for one would love if this kind of mastery can be added to older Heart of Thorns mastery lines:

• Itzel Lore - Portable Mushrooms: Add purchasable consumables to Itzel merchants to temporarily spawn Speedboost or Adrenaline Mushrooms in any open world map.
  • Exalted Lore - Portable Assistance: Add purchasable consumables to Exalted merchants to temporarily spawn Exalted Assistance Beacons in any open world map.
  • Ancient Magics - Portable Flame and Siren: Add purchasable consumables to Season 3 vendors to temporarily spawn Koda's Flame or Chancel of Echoes in any open world map.

Except for the mushrooms due to their huge usefulness where they appear, these masteries are forgettable and easily considered the worst masteries in the game. Adding these three new tiers would help fix this issue with great ease.

It's an interesting idea and the benefits are obvious. The problem I see is this would be more inventory management in a game that has already lost control over inventory management.

If it could somehow be UI based or perhaps when buying them, auto added each one to their own exclusive inventory slot to the bottom of your inventory which would only appear or at least be accessed when you bought the relevant item.

A portable Thermal Tube would be awesome but I don't think that will ever happen.

Also rather than consumables it would be better to have a permanent item that uses up the equivalent currency or currencies per use.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Some of those masteries, especially if more than one person could spawn them, would be game breaking.

Could make some of those only usable/visible to the person to spawned it?

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Some of those masteries, especially if more than one person could spawn them, would be game breaking.

Obvious fix: "More than one of this object cannot exist within the same radius of each other."

They already do this with things like personal banks.

@Khisanth.2948 said:A portable Thermal Tube would be awesome but I don't think that will ever happen.Thermal Tubes, Bouncing Mushrooms, Nuhoch Wallows would all be a huge no for this system. And that's even ignoring the fact that they all need a coded endpoint that varies from placement to placement.

I'm speaking more of the combat or bundle orientated masteries, rather than the movement ones. I only included speedboost mushrooms because that wouldn't effect much in terms of movement.

I'd love seeing these in Core Tyria, but it'd feel weird seeing all this Maguuma mushrooms suddenly everywhere. If they used phasing technology (i.e. can't see it until you complete the Mastery) then that could work but not sure how hard that'd be coding-wise. Masteries are in a bit of a weird place right now because while they do alter the gameplay a little bit it's usually only for that specific map/area. We've seen bouncing mushrooms show up in the Far Shiverpeaks alongside Thermal Tubes, but their placement in Core Tyria would be wonky because of JPs and the artificial difficulty from map design.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Some of those masteries, especially if more than one person could spawn them, would be game breaking.

Obvious fix: "More than one of this object cannot exist within the same radius of each other."

It’s not just the duplicate spawns that I was referring to.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Some of those masteries, especially if more than one person could spawn them, would be game breaking.

Not sure which of the masteries I listed in OP would be game breaking without multiple people spawning them in the same area. Please feel free to elaborate. Adrenaline mushroom would be the most game breaking, of the five I listed, but if people can't spam them in the same area that issue diminishes.

And it isn't like there isn't already a natural issue of power creep with the mere existence of normal masteries and elite specializations.

Not sure which of the masteries I listed in OP would be game breaking without multiple people spawning them in the same area. Please feel free to elaborate. Adrenaline mushroom would be the
most
game breaking, of the five I listed, but if people can't spam them in the same area that issue diminishes.

And it isn't like there isn't already a natural issue of power creep with the mere existence of normal masteries and elite specializations.

I was not referring to just the ones you listed but I recall the Siren one you mentioned being a damage modifier which would be overkill if it could be used on all maps.

A single adrenal mushroom would be more power creep and I wouldn’t be surprised if players found ways to abuse it. Creating exceptions for each instance that it could be abused may be more effort than it’s really worth.

I also do not believe that just because there’s already existing power creep that that’s justification to allow even more.

The vine mastery from episode 5 and the lava tube one from episode 2 could be used to get to places that players shouldn’t. Mounts already cause enough of issues regarding that.

I don’t see anything wrong with the Koda flame one as it was fairly useless.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I was not referring to just the ones you listed but I recall the Siren one you mentioned being a damage modifier which would be overkill if it could be used on all maps.

A single adrenal mushroom would be more power creep and I wouldn’t be surprised if players found ways to abuse it. Creating exceptions for each instance that it could be abused may be more effort than it’s really worth.

The Portable Waystation already gives a huge CC and damage buff anywhere in the world, if the hypothetical new portable HoT masteries were done the same, the increase wouldn't be much - and if both took up the special action key like Sirens does, they'd be mutually exclusive to each other.

I also do not believe that just because there’s already existing power creep that that’s justification to allow even more.True, but we're talking only about open world, where power creep doesn't really influence much at all because the existing power creep has made any more power creep effectively void - power creep has an excessively increasing diminishing returns. Besides which, the only places where power creep matters are farming events and world bosses. The former is definitely something to watch out for, but the latter? World bosses tend to be upscaled so much that the benefits of these masteries are going to be a bit null.

The vine mastery from episode 5 and the lava tube one from episode 2 could be used to get to places that players shouldn’t. Mounts already cause enough of issues regarding that.Agreed, which is why I didn't list them. Though given how map breaking mounts are, I can't see the oakheart's reach being much worse.

I was hesitant to include the Adrenaline mushroom, tbh, but the other four I see no issues with - especially the ultimately useless Koda's Flame and Exalted Assistance.

@hugo.4705 said:Would also like to use FTT turrets everywhere, having them limited to kourna is dumb.

TBH, I forgot about those. Could also be nice to include, but since it's not mastery tied, perhaps an achievement to unlock an alternative consumable that shares upgrades, though since it isn't mastery tied and is consumable based, ANet clearly thought they weren't good for using in other maps.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:In this update, we got a new mastery line which is object-specific. Usually, these types of masteries are bad because they're very, very limited in where they can be used. However, unlike past such masteries, this mastery line has the third tier allowing players to buy consumables to use these masteries in any open world map of the game.

This is a godsend for these types of masteries, and I for one would love if this kind of mastery can be added to older Heart of Thorns mastery lines:

• Itzel Lore - Portable Mushrooms: Add purchasable consumables to Itzel merchants to temporarily spawn Speedboost or Adrenaline Mushrooms in any open world map.
  • Exalted Lore - Portable Assistance: Add purchasable consumables to Exalted merchants to temporarily spawn Exalted Assistance Beacons in any open world map.
  • Ancient Magics - Portable Flame and Siren: Add purchasable consumables to Season 3 vendors to temporarily spawn Koda's Flame or Chancel of Echoes in any open world map.

Except for the mushrooms due to their huge usefulness where they appear, these masteries are forgettable and easily considered the worst masteries in the game. Adding these three new tiers would help fix this issue with great ease.

I don't really care about the other three you mentioned, but i would love to be able to use Siren of Orr outside of Siren's Landing. It's a cool mastery where mutliple players can combine multiple songs in a strategic way to obtain very powerful effects. It's sad that it's only usable in one map.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:In this update, we got a new mastery line which is object-specific. Usually, these types of masteries are bad because they're very, very limited in where they can be used. However, unlike past such masteries, this mastery line has the third tier allowing players to buy consumables to use these masteries in any open world map of the game.

This is a
godsend
for these types of masteries, and I for one would love if this kind of mastery can be added to older Heart of Thorns mastery lines:

I don't really care about the other three you mentioned, but i would love to be able to use Siren of Orr outside of Siren's Landing. It's a cool mastery where mutliple players can combine multiple songs in a strategic way to obtain very powerful effects. It's sad that it's only usable in one map.

I would like to have bloodstone fen gliding attacks on other maps.

Where's my full set of gliding skills at... :c

As far as actually using Mastery skills go...

Speed Mushrooms - Fine. Could even just be an action button that gives you Celeritas Spores yourself.Adrenal Mushroooms - Hmm... I guess it could be fine? Given that it'd only affect open world. Again, just make it an action button to affect yourself so you don't end up with even more Event cheese from having like 100 people all dropping their Elites 100 times...Exalted Assistance - Sure. Plenty of temporary NPC allies available these days.Koda's Flame - Yeah, why not. It sucks anyway and is pretty much only for opening chests in Bitterfrost Frontier... Probably the only place the skill would get used to save having to go run over to a Brazier xDSiren's Kergigger - Probably pushing it a bit honestly. Given that one of the effects is literally insta-revive, it would diminish value of things like Revive Orbs or you know, actually caring about things because you just spam insta-revives and go solo Legendaries lelSpiderman - Sure, could be fun. "But muh unintended locations!" - Trust me, there are SOOOO many invisible walls in this game it shouldn't be an issue, pretty much everything that isn't intended is already blocked off (The only way this could break things is due to its penchant for putting you INSIDE rocks...). "But muh JP achievements!" - Tell that to the team of Mesmer's at every daily JP lel.Nuhoch Wallows - Could work. Would need a significant CD on it, but it could effectively be like a Teleport to Friend.

Extra one: Bloodstone Fen Gliding Skills - Should be fine. Given there are limited ways to glide in combat outside of like... Verdant Brink and Bloodstone Fen...

As far as how to utilize these... Allow them to be put into the Novelties skill location and thus used with the keybind associated with them.

Usability, might need looking at. Such as cooldowns for these effects, because the default effects have none and thus can be cheesed super hard if they were just ported into an on demand skill.

I'd love to have the bloodstone fen glider upgrades as the default. I think it would only be fair given that the glider is basically the mount equivalent for HoT which is already a lot more situational than them.

@"hugo.4705" said:Would also like to use FTT turrets everywhere, having them limited to kourna is dumb.Sure, but only if they remove the "Spare Parts" requirement and as a permanent gizmo like the Prototype Position Rewinder.

I'm definitely down for this.

There are a lot of fun and useful masteries in the game that have become useless outside of their specific episodes and i've always taken issue with that as Masteries are supposed to be a form of progression.. but how can they be truly if these new abilities are only actually useful in 1 or 2 areas of the world..To me that makes them more gimmicks than anything else and that just kind of sucks to me.

I'm definitely down for upgrading some existing masteries.. hell im down for merging some maseries together to create combination abilities such as Griffons gaining the ability to ride an updraft to gain altitude (imagine what that could do for Griffon racing and general HoT/LW3 exploration on the mount)Gliding skills from Bloodstone Fen oh god yes! just you know.. rebalance them outside of Bloodstone Fen so they're not as op as they are currently on that map (makes sense from a lore perspective too since they would naturally be weaker without all that unbound magic to fuel them.Likewise being able to spawn a personal Oakheart's Essence in the open world and use the Gw2 Hookshot ability (which is arguably one of the most fun masteries in the game) anywhere you like would be awesome! (except inside jp's naturally)If Anet made a permanent version of that too!! I don't care how much it would cost, i'd devote all my Gw2 time to get it.. guaranteed.

I know some people may think.. oh no that would break so much of the game we can't have the hookshot available anywhere it's too much..While that's not entirely wrong exactly.. I will still strongly argue that it would do no more damage to the core world game than Mounts have already done over the last few years..What the Hookshot would allow you to do mounts already can do so at this point adding allowing the hookshot anywhere would be purely about the fun factor of using it while also making one of the most enjoyable masteries in the game so much more awesome.

So yes, absolutely yes! to more old masteries being upgraded to remain useful in newer content as well as all future content going forward.Also definitely yes to having big investment permanent versions added as well whether that be requiring a reasonable gold investment or a massive EXP investment to grind out, that might just help re-populate some older content too for a while.

@Teratus.2859 said:I'm definitely down for upgrading some existing masteries.. hell im down for merging some maseries together to create combination abilities such as Griffons gaining the ability to ride an updraft to gain altitude (imagine what that could do for Griffon racing and general HoT/LW3 exploration on the mount)I was really hopeful that skyscales would be able to use updrafts as a way to reset their flight bar.

Could still happen...

@Teratus.2859 said:I'm definitely down for upgrading some existing masteries.. hell im down for merging some maseries together to create combination abilities such as Griffons gaining the ability to ride an updraft to gain altitude (imagine what that could do for Griffon racing and general HoT/LW3 exploration on the mount)I was really hopeful that skyscales would be able to use updrafts as a way to reset their flight bar.

Could still happen...

Aye that too would be pretty sweet to have, plus they already have a gliding form posture for it which could take over when they enter an updraft.Much like a bird would spread out it's wings to catch warmer rising air aka thermal soaring to glide effortlessly through the air and conserve energy.

It would be a lot like that low gravity Inquest area in Living world where Griffons can kinda fly around forever ^^ that place is so fun.