Obsidian Shards into gold?

I've got a storage character that is almost all obsidian shard stacks that just sit there because there really isn't anything to do with them. Then people reply with but you can make one copper if per shard if you chase your tail around for a month then walk on your hands upside down while trying to jump through flaming loops with your feet and then flip yourself through a magical invisible wall while trying to eat ascended food while its in mid air. Then you go to collect your 1 copper and get get one shot by a quaggan assassin.

• Like 1

@Klypto.1703 said:I've got a storage character that is almost all obsidian shard stacks that just sit there because there really isn't anything to do with them. Then people reply with but you can make one copper if per shard if you chase your tail around for a month then walk on your hands upside down while trying to jump through flaming loops with your feet and then flip yourself through a magical invisible wall while trying to eat ascended food while its in mid air. Then you go to collect your 1 copper and get get one shot by a quaggan assassin.

delete themEditI mean if you feel that Nokomis.5076 advice is that much of a burden to do that is.

You could make HoT Ascended Armor the way it was meant to be done. With Fulgurite. :) I am still kinda miffed that they implemented the Ascended conversion thingy. Usually Anet has the mantra that if you want the Weapons and trinkets from an area, you have to earn the currency of that area. But I guess they figured Ascended (and certain stat combinations like Vipers) to be too critical to put it behind such a wall.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Klypto.1703 said:I've got a storage character that is almost all obsidian shard stacks that just sit there because there really isn't anything to do with them. Then people reply with but you can make one copper if per shard if you chase your tail around for a month then walk on your hands upside down while trying to jump through flaming loops with your feet and then flip yourself through a magical invisible wall while trying to eat ascended food while its in mid air. Then you go to collect your 1 copper and get get one shot by a quaggan assassin.

delete themEditI mean if you feel that Nokomis.5076 advice is that much of a burden to do that is.

None of those are an actual profitable way to get rid of them, if you aren’t aiming to make those. I think in the OPs case, and mine for sure, this certainly is not worth it. Only choice is to delete, which seems a shame.

@aaron.7850 said:I am starting to pile up Obsidian shards in my inventory, and I have no idea what to do with them. I have no interest in crafting legendaries

You said on May 31, 2020.

I said a similar thing, right around March or so, 2018. Things change.

Depending on how you do Mystic Clovers, you can need as many as 600 for a full set of Legendary Armor, or 500 or so for a Gen 1 Legendary weapon. At one point I remember having to grind Silverwastes for currency to buy more of them back then, while now I too have an excess.

Always easier to delete later than find yourself having to farm them up again, but don't let your decision be based on a notion that you'll 'never' make a Legendary.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

@"Klypto.1703" said:I've got a storage character that is almost all obsidian shard stacks that just sit there because there really isn't anything to do with them. Then people reply with but you can make one copper if per shard if you chase your tail around for a month then walk on your hands upside down while trying to jump through flaming loops with your feet and then flip yourself through a magical invisible wall while trying to eat ascended food while its in mid air. Then you go to collect your 1 copper and get get one shot by a quaggan assassin.

None of those are an actual profitable way to get rid of them, if you aren’t aiming to make those. I think in the OPs case, and mine for sure, this certainly is not worth it. Only choice is to delete, which seems a shame.

you can turn them into Fulgurite, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fulgurite

I often find myself short on ob shard, camping at Temple of Balthazaar wait for the merchant

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@aaron.7850 said:I am starting to pile up Obsidian shards in my inventory, and I have no idea what to do with them. I have no interest in crafting legendaries

You said on May 31, 2020.

I said a similar thing, right around March or so, 2018. Things change.

Depending on how you do Mystic Clovers, you can need as many as 600 for a full set of Legendary Armor, or 500 or so for a Gen 1 Legendary weapon. At one point I remember having to grind Silverwastes for currency to buy more of them back then, while now I too have an excess.

Always easier to delete later than find yourself having to farm them up again, but don't let your decision be based on a notion that you'll 'never' make a Legendary.

It's also worth remembering it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You could decide a reasonable maximum to keep and then only delete it once you get over that limit.

For me with obsidian that's 500. 250 in material storage and 250 in the bank. It's enough to give me a decent head start on anything I might want to make with it, without causing storage problems. It's pretty rare that I get over 500 obsidian (especially now none of my guilds have the desert guildhall) but if I do I don't mind deleting it knowing I've got that stockpile and can get more just as easily as I got the current excess.

Although it would be nice to be able to sell it to a merchant instead of deleting it.

The 1 Obsidian per day for a Supply Token was a nice move, but yeah, it's still far too low to really deal with the large amounts of Obsidian I get daily. (For the curious, it mainly comes from PvP and WvW reward tracks.) Personally I'd like to see a new tab get added to the Karmic Converter where we can trade up to 25 Obsidian a day for various things like Rare Material Bags, Trophy Bags, maybe something rare like Mystic Coins or an Amalgamated Draconic Lodestone once in a while etc.

For the time being, it's also possible to monetize Obsidian by turning it into Fulgurite, but it's such a tiny profit that it's practically not worth your time (especially since Fulgurite is insanely slow to craft for some odd reason).

@Linken.6345 said:

Yeah I'll hang onto a giant chunk of stuff like this in the chance that they might one day be needed for something valuable but in most cases its just junk to once in awhile clean up once I end up finding like 300+ stacks of specific items like this. Even if Anet makes it where you can't profit from them it would be great as a secondary method of crafting in collections lol.

Yep craft mystic forge weapons that sell on the TP for 300 gold and cost a stack of obsidian shards to make and then only cost 299 gold for the mystic coins to craft it. TOTALLY WORTH IT!

I just store my excess obsidian shards on a character I don't use, and I make sure to purchase a Provisioner Token every day. It only gets rid of 1 obsidian shard, but hey, might as well get something useful with the excess, right? And who knows, I might make legendary runes and sigils one day, but at least I'd have enough provisioner tokens by then to make what I need.