Legendary Equipment and Templates - [Merged]

@keenedge.9675 said:

@"Geoff Fey.1035" said:The idea is to make Legendaries even more valuable by unlocking that equipment piece for account-wide. If they allowed it with ascended there would be no point to Legendaries.

The trouble is that Legendaries only have value by stat-swapping. This only benefits a small percentage. The looks aren't really a lure. The legendary armory will only benefit the same group of people. So, it will not draw EXTRA people toward them.

Plus, to earn a legendary it requires less popular modes of game-play: PvP, WvW, Raids, and now Strikes. Each of these requires months and months of grind.

If they HAD value, people would want them already. When I want to min-max I use greens/blues and learn what I need THEN craft(or change) ascended pieces.

Agreed that the skins I'm are "meg", right now the main value of Legendaries is the stat swapping and free rune/infusion extraction. Once the armoury comes in, the value of Legendary over ascended will be huge and it will definitely draw more people to them.

For example, if you get a legendary amulet every single character on your account can use it at the same time (without having to swap it through your bank/shared inventory) and can stat swap. It essentially frees you from ever having to get another ascended amulet again for every single character you ever have (at level 80). This applies to everything else--weapons, armour (split by heavy/medium/light), trinkets, back, etc.

I can see a lot of people getting very interested in completing Vision/Aurora because Trinkets (I find) are always the hardest ascended things to get for alts. So once you get Vision & Aurora you never have to worry about trinkets on any character ever again.

As for the grind... it depends on your stockpile. I think it took me 4 months of casual play in PvP and some intense WvW on weekends to get full Legendary Heavy Armour. That being said, I had a guild bank filled with immense amounts of materials accrued from the last 7 years of on/off playing (+3 year hiatus), so YMMV.

@keenedge.9675 said:

@Geoff Fey.1035 said:The idea is to make Legendaries even more valuable by unlocking that equipment piece for account-wide. If they allowed it with ascended there would be no point to Legendaries.

The trouble is that Legendaries only have value by stat-swapping. This only benefits a small percentage. The looks aren't really a lure. The legendary armory will only benefit the same group of people. So, it will not draw EXTRA people toward them.

Plus, to earn a legendary it requires less popular modes of game-play: PvP, WvW, Raids, and now Strikes. Each of these requires months and months of grind.

If they HAD value, people would want them already. When I want to min-max I use greens/blues and learn what I need THEN craft(or change) ascended pieces.

People do want legendaries already. If they were unwanted they wouldn't be worth thousands of gold on the tp. People pay those prices because they are in demand.

Talking strictly about the gift of battle, it takes 8 hours of WvW to finish one track assuming you're at t6 participation the whole time. Add the boosters that stack and you're down to under 4 hours. Not to mention the super braindead dailies like land claimer, big spender, master of monuments and guard killer are super easy to do when they pop up in the rotation, giving you another boost to the track. Doing these and working towards it passively is probably one of the best things to do if you despise WvW.

Skirmish tickets are however a different issue which do require months of grind. That we can agree is rather ridiculous.

I'm quite disappointed. When you initially said this will come with the next update, I realized it wouldn't be in a patch, but I seriously expected this as part of the living story update to be released today. Now you talk about months of future development. If this feature takes several months, a quarter of a year at least (counted from the initial announcement), how long will it take to get the expansion ready? A decade?

@"Corma.7268" said:I'm quite disappointed. When you initially said this will come with the next update, I realized it wouldn't be in a patch, but I seriously expected this as part of the living story update to be released today. Now you talk about months of future development. If this feature takes several months, a quarter of a year at least (counted from the initial announcement), how long will it take to get the expansion ready? A decade?

Expansion (March 12th) and Legendary Armoury (March 20th) were announced at roughly the same time. Specifically:

"Development is underway on a third Guild Wars 2 expansion. The team is hard at work, and it’s much too soon to talk about any details right now, including features, story, release date, or development timeline. We’ll have to stick to that until we’re ready to reveal more information to the world. When we are ready, you’ll definitely know!" https://guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-spring-summer-and-the-future/

We don't know how long they've been working on the expansion, nor when it'll be ready. Based on how HoT was announced in January 2015 and released October 2015, it's entirely possible the expansion will be released sometime this year and/or next year. Given the relatively lackluster response to the ending of PoF, they might be trying to make it more cohesive instead of people having to wait for living world updates to get the full storyline. Or they're starting from scratch since they really had an issue with some communities not liking the various East Asian styles crammed together (thinking of the "Great Collapse" in Divinity's Reach).

We just don't know, but I'd figure 2021 we should see more on EXP3.

I was really hoping that we'll see this feature with this update...I don't understand why is it so hard for ANet to simply say how long will take to release this feature. Whatever phase of development this is in, they could aproximate this to some period of time (based on their previous projects). If they would say this feature will be ready in June, I wouldn't mind if it will be ready in July, but I would be pretty pissed if it would be ready in November. Come on, guys, give us an ETA.

@"I Rubra Caelum I.1530" said:I was really hoping that we'll see this feature with this update...I don't understand why is it so hard for ANet to simply say how long will take to release this feature. Whatever phase of development this is in, they could aproximate this to some period of time (based on their previous projects). If they would say this feature will be ready in June, I wouldn't mind if it will be ready in July, but I would be pretty pissed if it would be ready in November. Come on, guys, give us an ETA.

Do you really would be happy if they would say: "this feature will be ready in November (maybe this year, maybe next year)" ? B)

I love the idea as most of us do. Also I have the same questions as the rest about legendary runes, underwater breather and if the skins are fix or changeable.

It would suck to stick to the same skins on every charakter like it already sucks to use the same skin on my mesmer for every build since I use legendary armor here.

Also it would be nice if you bring the option to deactivate legendary trinket skins. I want all legendary trinkets because it's really nice to change stats fast, but some of the skins and the combinations of it are absolutely to much and not my stile at all.

But first things first: please fix the login server bugs before implementing more new stuff >.<

I hope someone reads this. Ty and have a nice day :P

@Zok.4956 said:

@"I Rubra Caelum I.1530" said:I was really hoping that we'll see this feature with this update...I don't understand why is it so hard for ANet to simply say how long will take to release this feature. Whatever phase of development this is in, they could
aproximate
this to some period of time (based on their previous projects). If they would say this feature will be ready in June, I wouldn't mind if it will be ready in July, but I would be pretty pissed if it would be ready in November. Come on, guys, give us an ETA.

Do you really would be happy if they would say: "this feature will be ready in November (maybe this year, maybe next year)" ? B)

Surprisingly, yes, I would.

Would it be possible to have a tab in our hero panel where we can just pull unlimited number copies of the legendary we own, so the item operates the same as current legendary items, but on the equipment template, we can only equip UP TO the number that we actually own?So if I have crafted 5 legendary rune, 1 Bolt, then I can pull 18 runes, and 3 Bolts, but on EACH equipment template, I can only equip a max of 5 runes, and 1 Bolt?

I am thinking of it as those achievement skins. Of course, I don't know how items are coded in GW2 so this can be totally meaningless.

Probably this is already on the table, but gotta say it:

Can we please get the same treatment backpieces have to "check/uncheck" to let us decide if we want to show it or not, into legendary trinkets?Personaly I don't like PvE trinkets animations and would love to use'em without those bubbles on my head. Like we already can swap armor/weapons/backpieces styles from wardrobe.I'm not saying legendary trinkets should got the same wardrobe stuff, but at least let us decide to show them or not.

@Miss Lana.5276 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:This is THE thing I'm waiting for. Even more than the ex pack.

This is ~A~ thing that has not been needed. It'll help only those with legendary armor. ( carrot ignored, still not gonna do RAIDS )According to the data at gw2Eff, 9% of those registered there have completed the precursor questing for Envoy.

They 'could' monetize it and make it helpful for all gear types like ascended then more people would benefit.

Templates pretty much ruined the point of legendary utility with how stat swapping and upgrades work with them. The value of ascended skyrocketed because of templates.

A legendary armory is necessary to put legendaries back up to how useful they were. The whole point is that it only benefits legendary equipment because it is that valuable.

Not to mention it made it 1000% more tedious to switch gear between characters. That one single update switched my mindset from "oh wow my legendary gear is useful, I can switch it between toons so easy" to "kitten my life I've gotta remove it from all templates, remember what template had what stats and runes, gotta resocket the runes on the new toon (also infusions if you need those), and then do it all again when switching back". Talk about gutting high end gear convenience with one single patch.

Its not even about convenience for me.

The legendary armory would give me a goal in gw2 again.

My long time goal of 39k AP is done with this update.

Really need something to work on.

Legendary skins are the only thing I've got left to work on in this game. I got one of each armor class via raiding, just got the newest trinkets and weapons to go. However if the armory is monetised I'll be straight up quitting. I'm so done with the greedy and manipulative monetisation tactics.

My policy is if you want money from me, release an expac. The LS episodes are free, therefore I won't be manipulated into pity buying things off the gemstore. If they wanted cash for it they should have released it at a cost.

BS!

This feature remains a optional QoL. So if they want gems for it, it's fine.Or they can go the other route, offer you all upgrades for free... and when they release a LS episode, thec charge 400 gems for each... let's see how you would like that idea...

People need to stop demanding to have everything for free.

@Mauzi.5892 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:This is THE thing I'm waiting for. Even more than the ex pack.

This is ~A~ thing that has not been needed. It'll help only those with legendary armor. ( carrot ignored, still not gonna do RAIDS )According to the data at gw2Eff, 9% of those registered there have completed the precursor questing for Envoy.

They 'could' monetize it and make it helpful for all gear types like ascended then more people would benefit.

Templates pretty much ruined the point of legendary utility with how stat swapping and upgrades work with them. The value of ascended skyrocketed because of templates.

A legendary armory is necessary to put legendaries back up to how useful they were. The whole point is that it only benefits legendary equipment because it is that valuable.

Not to mention it made it 1000% more tedious to switch gear between characters. That one single update switched my mindset from "oh wow my legendary gear is useful, I can switch it between toons so easy" to "kitten my life I've gotta remove it from all templates, remember what template had what stats and runes, gotta resocket the runes on the new toon (also infusions if you need those), and then do it all again when switching back". Talk about gutting high end gear convenience with one single patch.

Its not even about convenience for me.

The legendary armory would give me a goal in gw2 again.

My long time goal of 39k AP is done with this update.

Really need something to work on.

Legendary skins are the only thing I've got left to work on in this game. I got one of each armor class via raiding, just got the newest trinkets and weapons to go. However if the armory is monetised I'll be straight up quitting. I'm so done with the greedy and manipulative monetisation tactics.

My policy is if you want money from me, release an expac. The LS episodes are free, therefore I won't be manipulated into pity buying things off the gemstore. If they wanted cash for it they should have released it at a cost.

BS!

This feature remains a optional QoL. So if they want gems for it, it's fine.Or they can go the other route, offer you all upgrades for free... and when they release a LS episode, thec charge 400 gems for each... let's see how you would like that idea...

I'm not demanding it for free. Had there been yet another expac I would have purchased it. You're trying and failing to put words in my mouth. I've spent literal thousands of real dollars on this game over just paying for the expacs. Don't pretend like I'm trying to unfairly demand for something for free. You don't have an ounce of a clue mate.

The idea that it's ok to release a QoL that you pay for has only been ok in this community. It's not and never will be ok to charge for a QoL in ANY game. People who think that it is are those who won't be the ones having to fork out for it. The lack of empathy is so completely astounding. There's such a mindset of "it won't affect me/the "majority" so it doesn't matter", yet when the people who are and will be affected by it say it's not right, they're lambasted and ridiculed and told to just pay up. I'm fed up with the practice and the people who espouse that it's ok. It's not and I won't be supporting developers who do this.

@Mauzi.5892 said:BS!

They charge per equipment and build slot. Legendary equipment is supposed to benefit from that and it really doesn't. They need to fix it because the cost is already implemented in the template purchases.

People need to stop trying to sabotage the player base who already pays by implying they don't pay at all.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

@Mauzi.5892 said:BS!

They charge per equipment and build slot. Legendary equipment is supposed to benefit from that and it really doesn't. They need to fix it because the cost is already implemented in the template purchases.

People need to stop trying to sabotage the player base who already pays by implying they don't pay at all.

Absolutely THIS! I have bought some equipment and build slots. I have one set if legendary armor. I didn’t know how bad the template system was currently for legendaries until I switched the armor between characters. You have to redo all your templates when switching back. The template system is currently a wreck when it comes to legendaries. Paying for this update would only be a kick in the balls to players with legendaries because they are updating the template system to be more like what it should have been to begin with. It’s currently half done in my opinion.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

@"Mauzi.5892" said:BS!

It's been mentioned in here several times that it's only "a small percent of people" who will benefit from this change. Ok so let's work with that. On gw2efficiency it says about 4% of people have one of the raid legendary armor sets unlocked (around 2% min), and around 1% of players have 15 legendary weapons. Let's be extremely generous and round to 5% total who will benefit from this, as not all players have an api on that site. Assuming the above, 5% of the player base is expected to pay for a QoL that will "only affect them". So the 95% are screaming at the 5% to pay for the upkeep of the game so they can - ironically - play for free, or near enough to it. So when the 5% get tired of this and stop paying to support the game at all, they're the selfish ones, yet we've bought items time and time again to keep the bills paid. Not to mention the casual players that these changes "don't affect" are less likely than the hardcore player to purchase microtransactions. So the 5% make up more than their fair share of fees via microtransactions.

Idk about the rest of the 5%, but I'm tired of being screeched at by a bunch of harpies what I should do with my own money because it "doesn't affect the majority". I haven't purchased anything since build templates were introduced and I have 0 intention of doing so in the future. If this is what the community is actually like I refuse to support the sole thing keeping it together. They can do it themselves.

I know I'm late to the party. I haven't read the whole thread, but the part I am interested in is how skins and dyes will be handled.

Do I have to use the same skin and dyes for all characters or can I assign them individually? Could I, e.g., dye my necromancer's armor green and my elementalist's red? Could my guardian wear the default legy skins and my warrior cultural armor? And if so, I assume this would only cost transmutation charges to set up initially, not per switch, right?

Bonus points if I can assign colors and skins per template tab. This would not only allow me to see at first glance if I'm wearing my heal/support or my damage gear but also allow more variety.

I used armor as example, because it has dyes and race limitations. But using different skins per char could be interesting for weapons, too.

I'm sure someone has already suggested this. But I'm hoping for one of the "updates [...] in the coming months" to address this and many other questions.

I like it, don't even have anything negative so say about your idea here, I think it's great and about time. Though.. I've never been a great fan of your Legendary weapons and armors. It all comes down to taste, of course. Everyone have things they like and dislike when it comes to design and for me that goes for most of the Legendary stuff, don't get me wrong here. I do like the effects of them, they are cool, well.. Except for that damned sound effect on "The Dreamer" short bow. The bow itself look great and I love the horse shoe footprints. But.. As I said, it all comes down to taste, though what I would like to see added to the family of Legendary's is Legendary effect infusions that allow us to select, or imbue then with attribute and agony resistance value. These infusions would add special effects to equipment, like footprints on boots, weapon trails, hit effects on weapons, and more.

Since it’s still WIP and needs feedback on the design of how it ends up:

• Equipment Panel (where you are clicking on individual equipment slots and can drag items over to the equipment slots) should be split into two boxes. The top box is what we currently see based on what is in your inventory. The bottom box is labeled “Legendary Armory” and contains a pseudo inventory with all legendary equipment that can be equipped (filtered for profession and slot selected).
  • Backend: Account binding a legendary unlocks one usable copy in the Legendary Armory. The original copy of the legendary may still be equipped from the normal inventory if the item is on that character.
  • Additional Feature: Visit an NPC with multiple copies of the same legendary in your regular inventory to add an additional copy of that legendary to the Legendary Armory. Only allows a maximum of two usable legendary weapons of the same name.

I see a lot of people confused and I was also surprised when the feedback that the feature was still in development came in. Then I read again the first post. They meant the next "update" for the templates feature is the legendary armory but the way it was said could be understood as the legendary armory will be in the next game update.They had to monetize the gear templates because those give you extra inventory slots but they should not have monetized the build templates in the same way. I would also have given at least 3 gear templates (one for each game mode). I believe account wide gear template for a higher price would make them more attractive.Regarding legendary owners, they got almost nothing with that update. The gear template value also lies in the extra slots so people with ascended gear and 2 different builds gained potentially up to 16 slots in their inventory, people in the same situation with all legendary gear earned 0 slots.I think the idea of Anet is to give legendary gear more relevance again so I don't think they will monetize this feature. I also have the feeling that they are pushing people to make legendaries. Look at the number of mystic clovers the reward track of the new map give compared to the old ones. Look at all the T6 you get on the new map. There is also for the first time a PVE reward track that gives you clovers.