I openly demand to be released as Commander

Kurrilino.2706

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are NOT a commander of the fighting force that is why you are not in control. This episode makes that explicit. You are respected, but you are not in charge. And this episode is exactly set up in that manner. They are not your fighting force. You are there at the will of the imperators, and they are using you like a tool. But you take that, because you need to be as close to Jormag as possible, and you need to make sure Jormag doesn't succeed. Your cabin will be flattened by an iceberg, so now you have no choice but to follow fights with Jormag. Bangar probably wants to flatten your cute asura's grave too (along with the rest of Maguuma), so that certainly isn't where you are going is it?

Perhaps it is time to level with Logan, and tell him, that the charr mess is not your cup of tea, and the Pact should prepare for a real assault on the dragon.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:You must be fun at parties.

For being a pacifist? What does that have to do with one's ability to have fun?

You're playing a video game where we kill all sorts of humanoids and creatures to level up and progress through the story. That's not pacifism. Again, getting morally outraged because your imaginary video game character did something you didn't like is utter nonsense.

RPG...if you dont even like your own character anymore, then the game is doing something wrong.remember the beginning of the game? helping people all over tyria?there was NO reason to put this crap in the game. what does it bring to the table, other than bad feelings?

@PseudoNewb.5468 said:You are NOT a commander of the fighting force that is why you are not in control. This episode makes that explicit. You are respected, but you are not in charge. And this episode is exactly set up in that manner. They are not your fighting force. You are there at the will of the imperators, and they are using you like a tool. But you take that, because you need to be as close to Jormag as possible, and you need to make sure Jormag doesn't succeed. Your cabin will be flattened by an iceberg, so now you have no choice but to follow fights with Jormag. Bangar probably wants to flatten your cute asura's grave too (along with the rest of Maguuma), so that certainly isn't where you are going is it?

Perhaps it is time to level with Logan, and tell him, that the charr mess is not your cup of tea, and the Pact should prepare for a real assault on the dragon.

but i still control my wallet. and this crap is locking it tight. very few people want to pay for a bad experience.and if you want some kind of morale gauge, the game would need some systems to back it up a la swtorthis is only a scene they put in to make us feel bad. let that sink in....

not reading all comments

As I discussed with a friend a few days ago, it is really sad, that all the choices you have in the game, none of it affects the story.I really like the story of GW2, but they really should turn into another direction soon. The Commander thing is done, it was nice and now it gets old. And like you, not everyone likes to be a commander in war affairs! Especially if a fantasy mmorpg starts looking like a strategy game with tanks and guns and gatlings.... nope.

@Zaidya.6138 said:As I discussed with a friend a few days ago, it is really sad, that all the choices you have in the game, none of it affects the story.

Agreed. I've been pleading for dialogue options that lead to the story branching, like in the personal story at the beginning of the game, for years. But apparently it's not worth the effort or resources, according to ANet.

@"Traveller.7496" said:The commander shtick is getting very old by now. I hope that once they finish this storyline they forget about the "Commander" and just let us make a fresh start adventuring somewhere (Cantha).

I'm guessing the PC is going to get a derogatory title in Cantha, which most likely views them as a major threat and a traitor for helping/associating with non-human races and/or being nonhuman. Similar to how Braham is known as "Vowbreaker" among many of the Norn.

@Kurrilino.2706 said:Dear A-Net.

I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places.I didn't ask or would ever accept to be a leader of an army of any kind.

Especially when i have no deciding power at all. Today i had to witness members of my fighting force executing people openly.My character was not able to voice my opinion or order it to stop. This is a game has a teen rating for kitten sakes.

Logan came by and i think he would be the perfect person for this kind of atrocities.

I wish this guild i never wanted to be in and the army i don't like best of luck and will be on my way into the next magical forestto do what i really want to do. Maybe i will build a little cabin right at a lake or a creek.But i will always look out for a damsel in distress like the little cute Asura in GW1 who was sad that his ears where to short to find a mate,going to find some special leafs as prosthetics.

THIS is what i signed for.

Sincerely,a defector (people who played the new map will understand)

You aren't in charge of any of this or any army anymore. Especially the charr. Your group is just caught up in this mess doing the best you can. At least the charr haven't eviscerated you yet for your disagreement in their ways. They respect you enough to hear you out and end it at that.

At the point of charr executing betrayers, leagues of charr before them did successfully side with the enemy and are almost completely annihilating the legions. Anyone deciding to betray after that should expect what is to happen to them in war.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places.I didn't ask or would ever accept to be a leader of an army of any kind.

Especially when i have no deciding power at all. Today i had to witness members of my fighting force executing people openly.My character was not able to voice my opinion or order it to stop. This is a game has a teen rating for kitten sakes.

Logan came by and i think he would be the perfect person for this kind of atrocities.

I wish this guild i never wanted to be in and the army i don't like best of luck and will be on my way into the next magical forestto do what i really want to do. Maybe i will build a little cabin right at a lake or a creek.But i will always look out for a damsel in distress like the little cute Asura in GW1 who was sad that his ears where to short to find a mate,going to find some special leafs as prosthetics.

You aren't in charge of any of this or any army anymore. Especially the charr. Your group is just caught up in this mess doing the best you can. At least the charr haven't eviscerated you yet for your disagreement in their ways. They respect you enough to hear you out and end it at that.

At the point of charr executing betrayers, leagues of charr before them did successfully side with the enemy and are almost completely annihilating the legions. Anyone deciding to betray after that should expect what is to happen to them in war.

think about it: what is the purpose of the execution scene. gameplay? . cashshop?furthermore, i doubt many people log into a fantasy mmo to replay the daily news

@battledrone.8315 said:

think about it: what is the purpose of the execution scene. gameplay? . cashshop?furthermore, i doubt many people log into a fantasy mmo to replay the daily news

The purpose of that scene is to set the stage for the rest of the episode, it's a moment in time where you get a peek at the real Smodur...and it didn't remind me of the daily news. Don't recall seeing military executions for desertion on the daily news.

This has always been a problem for MMO's - the player is put on rails - even in games which proclaim "choose your way to play" and "make your mark" - invariably the writers lock your character down. This happened in SWTOR to my great dismay - an MMO that truly gave you originally great choices and freedom - up until you were forced to become an EMPEROR of the Galaxy for kitten's sake in an expansion release!

I know there is the (questionable) necessity to have an overarching story arc...but it completely dismantles any and all aspects of role playing players who want to play a scoundrel or a lone wolf or a bad guy - or simply don't wish to be the important though somewhat impotent hero of the universe.

TBH, I wish I could opt out of the personal story at this point. I always disliked the content gating via the story line because it always impeded me in what I wanted to do in the game.

@REH.4390 said:TBH, I wish I could opt out of the personal story at this point. I always disliked the content gating via the story line because it always impeded me in what I wanted to do in the game.What gating? If you want to, you can do the story on only one character and that's it. Core Tyria and LS2 maps can be entered regardless of the story. You can reach the HoT and PoF maps through guild halls. And for LS3-5 you just need to buy the portal scrolls once.I do agree, though. I'd also like to opt out of PS and LS2. I do like the story and I do replay it all the time, but not on each and every alt. With some alts I'd much rather see map completion objectives displayed instead of the next story step in the UI... Starting from HoT, the opt-in model is great. But I wish it was possible to exit the stories before HoT without playing them.

@Fenella.2634 said:With some alts I'd much rather see map completion objectives displayed instead of the next story step in the UI... Starting from HoT, the opt-in model is great. But I wish it was possible to exit the stories before HoT without playing them.You can disable the story in the content finder and minimize that snippet below the minimap, if it's annoying you too much.I don't like the brown star reminder of festivals or SAB either, but I never thought it should be disabled.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@PseudoNewb.5468 said:You are NOT a commander of the fighting force that is why you are not in control. This episode makes that explicit. You are respected, but you are not in charge. And this episode is exactly set up in that manner. They are not your fighting force. You are there at the will of the imperators, and they are using you like a tool. But you take that, because you need to be as close to Jormag as possible, and you need to make sure Jormag doesn't succeed. Your cabin will be flattened by an iceberg, so now you have no choice but to follow fights with Jormag. Bangar probably wants to flatten your cute asura's grave too (along with the rest of Maguuma), so that certainly isn't where you are going is it?

Perhaps it is time to level with Logan, and tell him, that the charr mess is not your cup of tea, and the Pact should prepare for a
real
assault on the dragon.

but i still control my wallet. and this kitten is locking it tight. very few people want to pay for a bad experience.and if you want some kind of morale gauge, the game would need some systems to back it up a la swtorthis is only a scene they put in to make us feel bad. let that sink in....

hm, and who is paying for the episode?

@REH.4390 said:

TBH, I wish I could opt out of the personal story at this point. I always disliked the content gating via the story line because it always impeded me in what I wanted to do in the game.

well, you actually can. Nobody is forcing you to do any story step or episode. You can run around Tyria without ever completing a chapter.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@REH.4390 said:

well, you actually can. Nobody is forcing you to do any story step or episode. You can run around Tyria without ever completing a chapter.

the tutorial is a story mission too. so you cant. and you are blocked from everything since launch, prolly more than ½ the game at this pointprolly about a dozen zones i havent seen , because they are gated like that

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@REH.4390 said:

the tutorial is a story mission too. so you cant. and you are blocked from everything since launch, prolly more than ½ the game at this pointprolly about a dozen zones i havent seen , because they are gated like that

You can still use a bunch of Teleport to Friends items, get the portal scrolls (or waypoints) and never touch the story after the intro again.

Personally I want to join the Human Separatists....No Quarter spoiler:

Which is why I am glad we had the choice to blow the Charr up in the recent story mission... I just wish we could pick our dialogue more though.

I would be nice to see more development options like Mass Effect did, be the renegade, or be the hero. Have the option to save people, or let them die. Those options really bring out the player character relationship to the next level.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:You must be fun at parties.

Standing up against public executions is party pooping............ Now i heard everything

They weren't public executions, I know because the public wasn't there. It was a military firing squad for deserters and traitors.

No one was there, no spectators or crowds, the commander just happened to walk by as it was happening.

You must be kidding. This execution was in public. Lot's of regular Charr around who for any reason didn't even notice the execution. You could see it even from the war room tent.Anyways, it would still be my duty as a descend human being to raise my voice, doesn't matter how minor you guys experience an execution.

Stuff like that has nothing to do with a Fantasy RPG. If people buy games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, people expect shootings and killing.But we are in Tyria. Do people remember how we started? We were adventurers protecting Bee Hives for little coin or threw snow balls at Norn childs.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

The purpose of that scene is to set the stage for the rest of the episode, it's a moment in time where you get a peek at the real Smodur...and it didn't remind me of the daily news. Don't recall seeing military executions for desertion on the daily news.

You should really start to watch news beyond the local news of Sandusky, Ohio.Yes, the new opening of Jebediah's BBQ Hut is great news but there is more happening on our planet

@"Kurrilino.2706" said:You must be kidding. This execution was in public. Lot's of regular Charr around who for any reason didn't even notice the execution. You could see it even from the war room tent.Anyways, it would still be my duty as a descend human being to raise my voice, doesn't matter how minor you guys experience an execution.

Stuff like that has nothing to do with a Fantasy RPG. If people buy games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, people expect shootings and killing.But we are in Tyria. Do people remember how we started? We were adventurers protecting Bee Hives for little coin or threw snow balls at Norn childs.

If you are referring to the execution at the beginning of the chapter, the Charr legions have allied but each one is however managed individually by its own Emperor so if Smodur decides to execute the traitors of Iron Legion other emperors will not be able to prevent this it seems to me that Efram was referring to this as "Iron Business"

Norn starts like this, instead the humans start killing bandits and centaurs already in Queensdale then with the progress of the various stories we discover that Flame Legion were killed in CoF, that Asura experiments on other races including the Sylvari and that Caithe and Faolain have killed many Asura to take revenge or when they exterminated a tribe of peaceful centaurs, I am not surprised at an execution, we have already seen worse.