I openly demand to be released as Commander

Kurrilino.2706

@Kurrilino.2706 said:

@"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:You must be fun at parties.

Standing up against public executions is party pooping............ Now i heard everything

They weren't public executions, I know because the public wasn't there. It was a military firing squad for deserters and traitors.

No one was there, no spectators or crowds, the commander just happened to walk by as it was happening.

You must be kidding. This execution was in public. Lot's of regular Charr around who for any reason didn't even notice the execution. You could see it even from the war room tent.

No you misunderstand. A public execution is an execution where the general public can voluntarily attend.

The general public were not there, nor could they be there as Bangar's Dominion had already killed or drove the native norn, humans and tengu out of that region.

What you saw was the summary execution of traitors and deserters by military firing squad.

Anyways, it would still be my duty as a descend human being to raise my voice, doesn't matter how minor you guys experience an execution.

Raise away, I'm sure Smodur wouldn't particularly care what the human commander thinks about an Iron Legion disciplinary matter in a time of widespread desertion. It's "Iron Business" as Efram says. Grim and nasty business to be sure but Iron business none the less.

Stuff like that has nothing to do with a Fantasy RPG. If people buy games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, people expect shootings and killing.

Of course it does. You ever played the Witcher? It's an excellent series but the world is far from a nice place. Neither is Tyria.

But we are in Tyria. Do people remember how we started? We were adventurers protecting Bee Hives for little coin or threw snow balls at Norn childs.

Yeah, I remember. I remember killing centaurs who were attacking a human village. Centaurs who hold humans in contempt and enslave or kill them in a race war that had carried on for hundreds of years.

Then I killed ghosts that had breached the black citadel before being accused of causing the deaths of my entire warband by an incompetent centurion. Ghosts created by the slaughter of an entire nation of men, women and children through a single act of madness.

Then I fought against nightmares in the Sylvari dream, nightmares caused by a sylvari faction that dedicated itself to torturing their own people and others,to causing as much pain and suffering as possible in order to corrupt the dream and twist all sylvari.

Then I fought against agents of the Inquest who perform horrible experiments on anyone they want, killing or corrupting them as they will. Inquest who view other sentient creatures as assets, not people, to be used and discarded.

Guess I should have started with norn.

You personally kill thousands of people in this game. Convince yourself that it was all just snowballs and bee hives at the start if you want but it wasn't. Heck, for norn it was killing animals for the right to kill another animal. Another animal who was trapped for the purpose of being killed.

Ignoring the misogynistic group of dragon worshipers who view females as less than nothing and kidnap and kill them, of course.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Pifil.5193 said:Yeah, I remember. I remember killing centaurs who were attacking a human village. Centaurs who hold humans in contempt and enslave or kill them in a race war that had carried on for hundreds of years.

Then I killed ghosts that had breached the black citadel before being accused of causing the deaths of my entire warband by an incompetent centurion. Ghosts created by the slaughter of an entire nation of men, women and children through a single act of madness.

Then I fought against nightmares in the Sylvari dream, nightmares caused by a sylvari faction that dedicated itself to torturing their own people and others,to causing as much pain and suffering as possible in order to corrupt the dream and twist all sylvari.

Then I fought against agents of the Inquest who perform horrible experiments on anyone they want, killing or corrupting them as they will. Inquest who view other sentient creatures as assets, not people, to be used and discarded.

You personally kill thousands of people in this game. Convince yourself that it was all just snowballs and bee hives at the start if you want but it wasn't. Heck, for norn it was killing animals for the right to kill another animal. Another animal who was trapped for the purpose of being killed.

Ignoring the misogynistic group of dragon worshipers who view females as less than nothing and kidnap and kill them, of course.

Don't do this to him! His brain has purposely locked away the memories to prevent him from living the trauma of this online video game! THE HORRORS!

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:Yeah, I remember. I remember killing centaurs who were attacking a human village. Centaurs who hold humans in contempt and enslave or kill them in a race war that had carried on for hundreds of years.

Don't do this to him! His brain has purposely locked away the memories to prevent him from living the trauma of this online video game! THE HORRORS!

Sorry, you're right, I remember beehives and snowballs and helping kittens.

I haven't even made it to Season 4 (haven't even beat Path of Fire because I've been distracted by other games), and ever since HoT I've been feeling less and less excited about my PC's story and personality. My PC would never demonize Caithe the way they did in HoT and the Living World story that followed. And based on what I'm hearing here (I'm not clicking on the spoiler tags), it seems things are getting much worse.

Ok, yeah, I'm all for a good story with hard moral questions that need to be answered, but when this game first came out the big deal was deciding your character's own story and personality. Now the Commander is what the game devs want them to be, not what we want. It makes me nervous about even considering touching the LW story at all, now. :(

It was only as recently as the past 65 yrs that SOME countries stopped executing traitors. On earth.

Besides, rytlock and the Ash imperator (and probably other charr) thinks smodur is an idiot for doing it. Malice thinks it is a waste.

Finally, when an imperator calls you commander, he in no way thinks of u as his commander. You are/were a commander in a (currently)-friendly army, the Pact, that's it. Its like addressing a retired general from another country by his previous title as a courtesy. If you try to give him commands, you will soon have a claws-vs-fingernails discussion. Likewise if u try to give commands to the veggies, rats, norn and humans. You can't even give commands to pact soldiers since u r no longer in the chain of command.

@casualkenny.9817 said:It was only as recently as the past 65 yrs that SOME countries stopped executing traitors. On earth.

Besides, rytlock and the Ash imperator (and probably other charr) thinks smodur is an idiot for doing it. Malice thinks it is a waste.

Finally, when an imperator calls you commander, he in no way thinks of u as his commander. You are/were a commander in a (currently)-friendly army, the Pact, that's it. Its like addressing a retired general from another country by his previous title as a courtesy. If you try to give him commands, you will soon have a claws-vs-fingernails discussion. Likewise if u try to give commands to the veggies, rats, norn and humans. You can't even give commands to pact soldiers since u r no longer in the chain of command.

Who says they stopped? There is a difference between stopping and just doing it and no one finding out about it :)

Plus the Charr are a warrior race and Smodur is just reminding them of who and what they are. Its just that those Charr having been around humans too long they start becoming weak and thinking like the humans.

@"Fenella.2634" said:I have not finished this current episode yet, but if nothing major changed, then your demand has already been answered.The Player Character resigned from their position in the Pact back in Season 3. The title is just a title now, we are no longer in the Pact hierarchy. Formally, the PC is just a guild leader now.

This execution you are talking about: As I said, I haven't played much of the episode yet, but do you mean the one in the beginning? If so, it was not our army. The PC was a commander of the Pact specifically, not of any army they happen to be working with.

I think GW2 has actually a pretty good balance of acknowledging that the PC deals with a lot of major threats, but still doesn't put us in a position where we'd have to have too much decision power logically.

Even in the pact, the "commander" was told by mooks what to do and where to go, They never commanded anything or anyone.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Kurrilino.2706" said:I demand to be released as Comander of this or any fighting force.You release is hearby granted. Forging forward please ignore any and all references to Living World in your email.When i bought the game i intended to be an adventurer hunting treasures and exploring dark forests and magical places.By all means... the world is all there for you to explore. Feel free. There's treasure just hanging around on chests on the ground almost everywhere you go.I didn't ask or would ever accept to be a leader of an army of any kind.And yet every time we asked for your help you accepted it. When Taimi fired up your communicator, you listened. When letters were sent to your email, rather than ignore them or say "no thanks" you responded in person.Imagine our surprise when after 7 years of responding to our requests, you now decide to say you never asked for it. People have never held back their praise or been stingy with their rewards.You have accepted both happily.But i will always look out for a damsel in distress like the little cute Asura in GW1 who was sad that his ears where to short to find a mate,going to find some special leafs as prosthetics.

THIS is what i signed for.We are sorry you don't have the stomach for the road ahead. Rest assured there are others who do.The are people all across Tyria however, who's hearts can be made full with your desire to help them and we wish you the best.

-Sincerely yoursThe Pact

PS:Please return the Caladbolg to the Pale Tree. She wants a hero with some resolve to wield the weapon

You mean she wants a marionette on destinys strings. Remember destiny's edge? We have come full circle, all "heros" are puppets to dragons.

during core and HoT we were a commander with an army. Now we are a commander with no army. The title and our role no longer make sense. For the most part we were a grunt doing Tami’s work. she is the “commander.” But that is MMO story for you.

Gonna have to agree. WoW made this mistake as well. We don't want to be the GOD KINGS. That's when the story is over. The story is over when Strider finally takes on his crown as King Elessar Telcontar of Gondor. The story is over when Harry Potter is the accepted hero by the whole wizarding community.

Being the supreme leader is boring. I want to go on adventures and help a village with its dragon problem and then move on. Saving the world grows tiresome. Saving a few people never gets old.

Oof, what a blundered opportunity.I think there is plenty of room for critique on how becomming the commander has limited ways to shape the story when going further.That you are upset by the tacky "war crimes" narrative of this LW episode is hardly the basis for good discussion however.Poor thread, publically executed too early B)

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:Oof, what a blundered opportunity.I think there is plenty of room for critique on how becomming the commander has limited ways to shape the story when going further.That you are upset by the tacky "war crimes" narrative of this LW episode is hardly the basis for good discussion however.Poor thread, publically executed too early B)

yea, because so many people want to pay for something, that makes them feel bad. and a fantasy mmo is the perfect mediumto insert real world politics too. story was never their strong point, but now theyre diving it off the cliff