Error Code 42 Fix

I had this problem today and i fixed my computer and my partners computer as follows,~

1. Go in to your Router Web site, e.g. type in your web browser 10.0.0.138 to open a webpage linked to your Router at home. (you may have to locate a different address for your router which is not to difficult call your ISP or search your Type of Router on the web)
  2. Go to the advanced tab and find your Router's fire wall (this is different from windows defender or your anti virus) now set your routers firewall too "Low". And save changes. You can now close that page and proceed to the next step.
  3. You need to change your "DNS" to the Public Google "DNS", Right click your internet icon at the bottom right hand of your screen and click "Open Network and Internet settings".
  4. Now click the "Change Adaptor Options" Button.
  5. If you use Wi-fi Or Ethernet it is the same i will explain as Wi-fi. Right Click on your Wi-fi connection in this page and Select Properties.
  6. Find and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Once selected click properties.
  7. Now Screen shot this page or Write down relevant information so you can undo anything if this does not work for you. :+1:
  8. Where it say's "Use the following DNS server addresses" Select that circle.
  9. Now type in next to Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
  10. And next to Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4
  11. Click OK
  12. Now for IPv6 Users Find and select "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" Select it and click Properties.
  13. Now Screen shot this page or Write down relevant information so you can undo anything if this does not work for you. :+1:
  14. Where it say's "Use the following DNS server addresses" Select that circle.
  15. Now type in next to Preferred DNS server: 2001:4860:4860::8888
  16. And next to Alternate DNS server: 2001:4860:4860::8844
  17. Click OK
  18. You can now close any page you have open and start Guild Wars 2. YAY :astonished:

~ After thoughts i don't use IPv6 but i did the DNS for them anyway and before i managed to fix the problem i disabled my anti virus software and windows defender~

I Really hope this has helped someone in need.From DeathZipper.1480, Your friendly Neighbourhood Spider Man :tongue:

This "workaround" has been posted multiple times (along with a few variations) in the main thread about this error: 42:1000:7006:1232 Can't login to client

Also, as Haleydawn notes, this is not a fix, it's a workaround and there's certainly nothing new here! Another workaround is to disable your ISP's web protection service (actual name will vary between ISP) which is something that should only be done on a temporary basis so as to reduce the time your system may be at risk! Everyone needs to be a little cautious before they rush to try any workaround just so they can play a single game!

Shame that Anet have gone quiet in regards to this problem since they posted yesterday to say they are "aware and investigating"!

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:Not. A. Fix.WORKAROUND.

The actual "fix" is complaining to your ISP about their DNS service, pointing out that cligate.101.ncplatform.net is GW2 and being redirected by them. It might take them days to fix it however, it really depends on many people complain.

@Grizzly UK.1209 said:Another workaround is to disable your ISP's web protection service (actual name will vary between ISP) which is something that should only be done on a temporary basis so as to reduce the time your system may be at risk! Everyone needs to be a little cautious before they rush to try any workaround just so they can play a single game!

If you actually want DNS protection, you'd be better off switching to a more popular secured DNS service that actually specializes in it, like Comodo, Dyn, OpenDNS or Norton. What this actually shows is that your current one blindly accepts reports without actually verifying them, so they base their decisions on quantity alone. How do you know they're not unblocking actual malicious domains in the same way?

If you're not additionally running a software web filter, which you should be able to add an exception to, you can manually supply the DNS entry rather than changing your DNS provider. If you do this, just remember to undo this when you can't login again, since this IP will eventually change. Open notepad as an administrator, open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, and at the bottom of the file, add a new line and enter the following, then save it:34.205.103.240 cligate.101.ncplatform.net

@Grizzly UK.1209 said:Shame that Anet have gone quiet in regards to this problem since they posted yesterday to say they are "aware and investigating"!

If they say anything more, it'll either be resolved or they'll just tell you to use Google DNS or contact your ISP, which is what support will tell you to do.

• 2 years later...

@"DeathZipper.1480" said:I had this problem today and i fixed my computer and my partners computer as follows,~

1. Go in to your Router Web site, e.g. type in your web browser 10.0.0.138 to open a webpage linked to your Router at home. (you may have to locate a different address for your router which is not to difficult call your ISP or search your Type of Router on the web)
  2. Go to the advanced tab and find your Router's fire wall (this is different from windows defender or your anti virus) now set your routers firewall too "Low". And save changes. You can now close that page and proceed to the next step.
  3. You need to change your "DNS" to the Public Google "DNS", Right click your internet icon at the bottom right hand of your screen and click "Open Network and Internet settings".
  4. Now click the "Change Adaptor Options" Button.
  5. If you use Wi-fi Or Ethernet it is the same i will explain as Wi-fi. Right Click on your Wi-fi connection in this page and Select Properties.
  6. Find and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Once selected click properties.
  7. Now Screen shot this page or Write down relevant information so you can undo anything if this does not work for you. :+1:
  8. Where it say's "Use the following DNS server addresses" Select that circle.
  9. Now type in next to Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
  10. And next to Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4
  11. Click OK
  12. Now for IPv6 Users Find and select "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" Select it and click Properties.
  13. Now Screen shot this page or Write down relevant information so you can undo anything if this does not work for you. :+1:
  14. Where it say's "Use the following DNS server addresses" Select that circle.
  15. Now type in next to Preferred DNS server: 2001:4860:4860::8888
  16. And next to Alternate DNS server: 2001:4860:4860::8844
  17. Click OK
  18. You can now close any page you have open and start Guild Wars 2. YAY :astonished:

~ After thoughts i don't use IPv6 but i did the DNS for them anyway and before i managed to fix the problem i disabled my anti virus software and windows defender~

I Really hope this has helped someone in need.From DeathZipper.1480, Your friendly Neighbourhood Spider Man :tongue:

thank you very much you really saved my life ^^