Do you care about the score?

@Crazy.6029 said:The reason a lot of players don't care about score is because there is no real reward. Toss a legendary armor piece or weapon out for the winners and see how fast score becomes important. I like the score because it is the only real way to know who wins each week :)Did you mean see how fast score becomes worthless because people will completely stack servers to get legendaries and not give a shit about WvW otherwise?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Score is just a measurement to tell what is achieved during a match. That measure will indicate who is the winner or Loser. If there is a desirable reward then, YES, people will care about it. Also, this isn't a thread about fear of server stacking , it is a thread about scoring!

@Crazy.6029 said:Score is just a measurement to tell what is achieved during a match. That measure will indicate who is the winner or Loser. If there is a desirable reward then, YES, people will care about it. Also, this isn't a thread about fear of server stacking , it is a thread about scoring!

Yes. That being said, it wasn’t asking if people cared about winning.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"Crazy.6029" said:Score is just a measurement to tell what is achieved during a match. That measure will indicate who is the winner or Loser. If there is a desirable reward then, YES, people will care about it. Also, this isn't a thread about fear of server stacking , it is a thread about scoring!

The score is a measurement to determine who wins or loses and where you place. That is the whole purpose of a score. If I don't care about a score, then I don't care about winning, at least that is the way I view it. Which is cool, I know loads of players that don't care at all about scoring. I happen to care about score and I think a lot of players secretly do, since it is the only measurement to tell who wins and who loses, who goes up and who goes down. Some care about it just to beat specific servers or groups of players on those servers. I just think that we need something to give us that information. It can't always be , " ZOMG , we just wiped (insert guild name) +pugs ". Although it is fun to do that. In the end you still need the score in order to measure who wins or loses for placement.

@Senqu.8054 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:It’s interesting. After 84 votes 2/3’s said ‘No’ yet many of the responses note that the scores do matter.

I think most assumed I meant ‘caring about winning’.

I think most aren't honest, even with themselves.

@Jeydra.4386 said:Yes, and my experience is people who say they don't care about the score actually care about the score. That's why if they log on to see they've been wiped off the map they log off quickly too (I clearly remember this happened to SoR in season 1 of WvW), if a T3 objective gets attacked they will come to defend instead of fight whoever is in front of them, etc.

Yep. There are many on these forums that talk about how winning doesn't matter.... then incessantly talks about it.

Its fascinating that even if a poll shows exactly, that basically no one cares about some silly numbers, there are still people like you who try to make it fit their opinion. Keep telling yourself that everyone is lying

But you're making your assumption based on a poll, which is also some silly numbers that almost nobody cares about.

You just try to turn words around. The „silly numbers“ referred to the score in WvW, you know that, I know that, everyone knows that.

And you wanna tell me now that they are not telling the truth is reasonable? Yes polls are biased, but it’s the best and only source we have to collect such informations.

Forum goers represent only a small minority of users. Heck, there's no way to even verify if they even play wvw regularly. I mean, it's a good source of entertainment, but passing it off as anything resembling the truth is just relying on silly numbers. Hence the irony.

Well it has still more value then the statement that the most who voted yes are not telling the truth, don’t you think?

No, even if that were true, it's not enough to matter either way. It's still just hearsay and speculation.

Feel free to search for terms like coverage and nightcap on these very forums. You can check did the recent announcement and see if nobody cared about the score-- you won't. There are also people that unironically post that WvW is not a game mode for fighting players.

And of course in game, I think those players that instantly get on cannons and build like 10+ siege certainly do exist. As well as those that backcap and insta teleport away when they see any resistance. Entire guilds dedicated to hitting doors after hours or on DBL. I just don't think a singular poll is going to convince me nobody is caring about the score-- actions speak louder than words. But what is most likely true-- and sure this is speculation-- is that nobody is going to come here and openly admit and tell us they're proud of siege humping.

Then there are those of us that don't want to hit doors or be stuck in a PPT fest; we still have to care about score.

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:It’s interesting. After 84 votes 2/3’s said ‘No’ yet many of the responses note that the scores do matter.

@Jeydra.4386 said:Yes, and my experience is people who say they don't care about the score actually care about the score. That's why if they log on to see they've been wiped off the map they log off quickly too (I clearly remember this happened to SoR in season 1 of WvW), if a T3 objective gets attacked they will come to defend instead of fight whoever is in front of them, etc.

Yep. There are many on these forums that talk about how winning doesn't matter.... then incessantly talks about it.

Its fascinating that even if a poll shows exactly, that basically no one cares about some silly numbers, there are still people like you who try to make it fit their opinion. Keep telling yourself that everyone is lying

But you're making your assumption based on a poll, which is also some silly numbers that almost nobody cares about.

You just try to turn words around. The „silly numbers“ referred to the score in WvW, you know that, I know that, everyone knows that.

And you wanna tell me now that they are not telling the truth is reasonable? Yes polls are biased, but it’s the best and only source we have to collect such informations.

Forum goers represent only a small minority of users. Heck, there's no way to even verify if they even play wvw regularly. I mean, it's a good source of entertainment, but passing it off as anything resembling the truth is just relying on silly numbers. Hence the irony.

Well it has still more value then the statement that the most who voted yes are not telling the truth, don’t you think?

No, even if that were true, it's not enough to matter either way. It's still just hearsay and speculation.

What are we talking about now? Are you really trying to tell me that all the people who voted in this poll for no didn’t want to vote for no? I don’t get your logic this makes no sense in any way.

I already wrote this...:

To be a representative poll you need more informations thats right, but in terms of surveys that aim for a target group of 10.000 people, only 385 answers are needed to have a 5% margin of errors. This should not mean that the poll is not biased but it is by far better then asking in game chat

...or your case by observing if people defend something or not....

Feel free to search for terms like coverage and nightcap on these very forums. You can check did the recent announcement and see if nobody cared about the score-- you won't. There are also people that unironically post that WvW is not a game mode for fighting players.

And of course in game, I think those players that instantly get on cannons and build like 10+ siege certainly do exist. As well as those that backcap and insta teleport away when they see any resistance. I just don't think a singular poll is going to convince me nobody is caring about the score-- actions speak louder than words. But what is most likely true-- and sure this is speculation-- is that nobody is going to come here and openly admit and tell us they're proud of siege humping.

Defending keeps and such actions is not the same as caring for the score / win. You associate playing WvW with the desire to win / score or what ever you wanna call it. I don’t know why you combine the two now but I guess that’s your thing then.

Then there are those of us that don't want to hit doors or be stuck in a PPT fest; we still have to care about score.

It is not a question that the PvD is a huge issue in WvW but this doesn’t mean that objectives are not needed but this is a other discussion I think we should not talk about here...

@Crazy.6029 said:

@Crazy.6029 said:Score is just a measurement to tell what is achieved during a match. That measure will indicate who is the winner or Loser. If there is a desirable reward then, YES, people will care about it. Also, this isn't a thread about fear of server stacking , it is a thread about scoring!

The score is a measurement to determine who wins or loses and where you place. That is the whole purpose of a score. If I don't care about a score, then I don't care about winning, at least that is the way I view it. Which is cool, I know loads of players that don't care at all about scoring. I happen to care about score and I think a lot of players secretly do, since it is the only measurement to tell who wins and who loses, who goes up and who goes down. Some care about it just to beat specific servers or groups of players on those servers. I just think that we need something to give us that information. It can't always be , " ZOMG , we just wiped (insert guild name) +pugs ". Although it is fun to do that. In the end you still need the score in order to measure who wins or loses for placement.

The comments show many players ‘care about the score’

Their reasons vary.

Caring about winning or losing is where it diverges more significantly. (Based on the comments)

The main problems with the score is still the same since release:

• score is not an achievement, but a consequence of superior man-power
  • Much to much score comes from times where only a handful people play.

If you want a competitive score it must be limited to 2-3 hours and all sides must have equal manpower, i.e. queue on all maps.

@Senqu.8054 said:

@"Jeydra.4386" said:Yes, and my experience is people who say they don't care about the score actually care about the score. That's why if they log on to see they've been wiped off the map they log off quickly too (I clearly remember this happened to SoR in season 1 of WvW), if a T3 objective gets attacked they will come to defend instead of fight whoever is in front of them, etc.

What are we talking about now? Are you really trying to tell me that all the people who voted in this poll for no didn’t want to vote for no? I don’t get your logic this makes no sense in any way.

No, I'm saying trying to use the poll to define anything is laughable. Just because it may be better than other options is immaterial.

I already wrote this...:

To be a representative poll you need more informations thats right, but in terms of surveys that aim for a target group of 10.000 people, only 385 answers are needed to have a 5% margin of errors. This should not mean that the poll is not biased but it is by far better then asking in game chat

Again, that doesn't mean anything, especially since it is self-select when you don't even have much information on your demographic. Heck, do you even know how large the WvW population even is?

I think you should read up on how science actually works; it's not some kind of banner that allows you to discern the truth from one data point. And it's not certainly "At least it's not this other way"

Defending keeps and such actions is not the same as caring for the score / win. You associate playing WvW with the desire to win / score or what ever you wanna call it. I don’t know why you combine the two now but I guess that’s your thing then.

Sounds like splitting hairs.

I never said simply defending or such. It can be used to get fights. I said defending keeps aggressively to an obsessive extent while avoiding fights and other actions that aren't associated with anything but PPT. I don't understand why people would go to such lengths to defend a structure if it didn't matter. i certainly don't care if people ninja a keep from me in the middle of the night. There's also very little in-game value.

Maybe people just like to hump siege because it's fun?

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

@"Jeydra.4386" said:Yes, and my experience is people who say they don't care about the score actually care about the score. That's why if they log on to see they've been wiped off the map they log off quickly too (I clearly remember this happened to SoR in season 1 of WvW), if a T3 objective gets attacked they will come to defend instead of fight whoever is in front of them, etc.

No, I'm saying trying to use the poll to define anything is laughable. Just because it may be better than other options is immaterial.

I already wrote this...:

Again, that doesn't mean anything, especially since it is self-select when you don't even have much information on your demographic. Heck, do you even know how large the WvW population even is?

I think you should read up on how science actually works; it's not some kind of banner that allows you to discern the truth from one data point. And it's not certainly "At least it's not this other way"

I never said simply defending or such. It can be used to get fights. I said defending keeps aggressively to an obsessive extent while avoiding fights and other actions that aren't associated with anything but PPT. I don't understand why people would go to such lengths to defend a structure if it didn't matter. i certainly don't care if people ninja a keep from me in the middle of the night. There's also very little in-game value.

In the end it doesn’t matter what I say I guess, your opinion is that playing wvw is caring for the score even if people tell you otherwise so what else can I say so I think we should leave it now then. if you guys want to think that the majority is interested in this then stay with it, it is healthier for the gamemode anyways.

@Senqu.8054 said:

I already wrote this...:

In the end it doesn’t matter what I say I guess, your opinion is that playing wvw is caring for the score even if people tell you otherwise so what else can I say so I think we should leave it now then. if you guys want to think that the majority is interested in this then stay with it, it is healthier for the gamemode anyways.

Of course it doesn't. You have not stated anything that's true.

The post I replied to at first prefaced it with "in my experience", so I agreed with that. The poll did not agree with my experience, but it does not mean either is right or wrong over the other. You then told me "nobody" cares about score, which is easily refuted just by me linking:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1259151/#Comment_1259151

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1259165/#Comment_1259165

Not to mention even in the poll itself, 28/98 isn't nobody or even close to nobody so....

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

I already wrote this...:

Of course it doesn't. You have not stated anything that's true.

The post I replied to at first prefaced it with "in my experience", so I agreed with that. The poll did not agree with my experience, but it does not mean either is right or wrong over the other. You then told me "nobody" cares about score, which is easily refuted just by me linking:

Not to mention even in the poll itself, 28/98 isn't nobody or even close to nobody so....

You are now just turning words around again, you know exactly what I meant with nobody don’t be that guy...

I care about it, but it's not what determines if I'm enjoying the game.

What I want is to be attacked by multiple groups of enemies that are not overwhelming and not too dumb. I want to fight them for camps, for towers, for keeps and I want to win sometimes and lose sometimes based on how well we fight and how well we maneuver. If that happens while I'm in first place, fine. If it happens while I'm in last place, that's fine too.

However, the score is what drives this conflict. When an enemy has a T3 keep on my home BL, I know that making it my T3 keep is more than a 60PPT swing with Yak points accounted for. I know that if I harass an enemy keep and prevent it going from T2 to T3 for a full skirmish, then I effectively prevented 96 points for that enemy and more depending on how many Yaks I killed and how long I controlled the camps for my team. This is fun and fulfilling only within the context of the score existing.

@"Senqu.8054" said:In the end it doesn’t matter what I say I guess, your opinion is that playing wvw is caring for the score even if people tell you otherwise so what else can I say so I think we should leave it now then. if you guys want to think that the majority is interested in this then stay with it, it is healthier for the gamemode anyways.

Lots of people say X, then do ~X. Remember, actions speak louder than words. I gave two examples why people care about the score even though they say they don't.

1. During season 1, Blackgate was completely stacked. They were queued on all four maps 24/7. SoR weren't able to keep up with that, and after a competitive start to the week many of them simply stopped playing. Explain why they'd do that, if they didn't care about the score and only cared about the fights. After all if BG had zergs running on all four maps 24/7, there are lots of fights to be had. It ought to be a WvW so-called "fight guild" dream. Yet not only did they not play, those fight guilds came to the forums complaining about how overstacked BG were. Why? Because they cared about the score. You might think they didn't care about the score, but rather that they're outnumbered; that's not the case - they might not be able to map queue all four maps, but they could certainly map queue two maps, and those two maps would not be outnumbered.
  2. In case that makes you think BG's fight guilds aren't like that, not so long ago two servers (if I remember right, KN and SBI) 2v1'ed BG out of T1. It was the first time in a long, long while that BG wasn't in T1. By the end of the week, KN and SBI had gotten so bored they'd started to fight each other. Why, because BG stopped logging on and KN/SBI had nothing else to do.
  3. Imagine this situation: you are red, and attempting to flip a T3 blue SMC which is being defended by a big blue zerg. They kill you, you respawn and regroup. During this time a green zerg hits Garri. Do you go to defend it? Regardless of how much they say they care about fights and not about ppt, very few commanders don't go. They could just ignore garri and go back and fight the blue zerg in SMC, but they don't. Why? Because they cared.
  4. For good measure: if the score is very close come the last few skirmishes of the week, people generally play, and they play a lot. I was in one such zerg, the commander had been tagged for over six hours (!), and it wasn't just him, when we fought the other zerg he would be like "here's their tag, kill him, make him go to sleep". Clearly the other tag had also been tagged for hours.

Why would people say they don't care when they care? I'd say there are two reasons. The first is social pressure. Somehow people have gotten the idea that it's a sign of prestige to say they don't care. Here for example is something I saw not so long ago. We were red, and we had a T3 Mendon's + T3 SMC. One zerg hits SMC, we defend it. While we're doing that, another zerg hits Mendon's. This guy scouting Mendon's calls it. He calls it for long time, but we're fighting at SMC, so cannot respond. He complains we weren't responding for several minutes. Then we wipe the zerg at SMC just before the walls go down, and he says the wall's down and the tower's gone. I didn't believe him and went to Mendon's anyway, saw the Lord was still 100%, and called it. Rest of our server arrived and defended Mendon's. Afterwards I told him if he keeps making false calls people will stop believing him. He responded indignantly with "well I don't care about ppt, I only care about fights". I guess the irony of saying that immediately after complaining we weren't defending our ppt was lost on him.

The second is that losing sucks. Nobody likes to lose. However because it's a competitive format, someone is going going to lose some of the time. Sometimes that T3 objective just cannot be defended. If that happens, it's much easier to say "I don't care about ppt" (and thereby implying that one didn't lose, since you got what you want in spite of it) than to acknowledge one has been defeated.

As for "even if people tell you otherwise" - here's another example from not so long ago. We're losing the match. Guy says who cares, we'd rather be in T2 than T1. Next week we're in T2, he doesn't even log on to play, because there's nobody to fight. Did he really want to be in T2 instead of T1, now? He said he did. Do you believe him?

Here's an example of genuine "not caring". Suppose there's a guild that uses only Sylvari characters. Do you switch to your own Sylvari characters, or mount a "Charr vs Sylvari" style GvG? I doubt anyone does. It's because people don't care.

tl; dr: people say they don't care about the score, but their actions indicate they do.

I voted "other", because I personally don't play for score, but am kind of reliant on it not to be the worst.As a player that devotes around 1/3 of his game time to WvW, I don't have the rank to generate a lot of pips for skirmish chests and prefer not to play on the "3rd ranked team" status to get at least some rewards and stuff, because having a +3 or a +5 makes a difference over time, because I don't like chasing outnumbered maps (and don't think that the +5 buff for that is a good number compared to other means to get a bonus).But as long as I can play my kind of style (mostly tactical roaming for map dominance of small structures), I don't really care about the outcome of a match. On a lower tier, your options of game play are greatly reduced (mostly defensive game play, like fighting over structures gets negated), which is not fun.If I had a chance to get more skirmish tickets (e.g. via a daily merchant that would allow me to buy some with my thousands of Badges, or adding them to dailies, instead of tomes or writs of experience), I could not care less about the score.

Yes I do, I play for score and PPT, but my server don't they only care about zerg fights. I mostly like playing to cap objectives, fighting only when needed.Please name me a server who plays like I like if there is any (EU).

@Susy.7529 said:Yes I do, I play for score and PPT, but my server don't they only care about zerg fights. I mostly like playing to cap objectives, fighting only when needed.Please name me a server who plays like I like if there is any (EU).

may i ask why? why u care i mean, because u realise it means nothin right? (no prize, no legitimate claim to be the best server, nothin.) doesnt mean ur server is the best, because if u win ur matchup its because u had more players, or u pptd in the off hours whith no resistance, and to top it off ur server is linked with another server..or even 2 servers, so it could just be down to those servers why u won, and in a few weeks you will get another link thatl maybe have less players or less ppters.

and why is hitting a gate or a wall and then fighting npcs over and over any fun, or flipping camps over and over etc... i can only do it for so long and if it brings no enemys il probably logout..just curious....

at the opposite end of that is the zerg fights, which i also find very boring, and can usually stomach only ten mins of it..before i think wtf am i doing,, yet every few months il find myself in a zerg curious to see if somethins changed or if i can last more than ten mins.the best part of wvw is 5-15 size squadplay, maybe 20 tops, and u play to find other groups of similar or bigger size to test yourselves in battle.... and a close 2nd would be solo or very small group, again to test yourself against similar or even bigger numbers...

i just cant understand playing for ppt, or why anyone would be that bothered about the score..

@acidic.4356 said:

@Susy.7529 said:Yes I do, I play for score and PPT, but my server don't they only care about zerg fights. I mostly like playing to cap objectives, fighting only when needed.Please name me a server who plays like I like if there is any (EU).

may i ask why? why u care i mean, because u realise it means nothin right? (no prize, no legitimate claim to be the best server, nothin.) doesnt mean ur server is the best, because if u win ur matchup its because u had more players, or u pptd in the off hours whith no resistance, and to top it off ur server is linked with another server..or even 2 servers, so it could just be down to those servers why u won, and in a few weeks you will get another link thatl maybe have less players or less ppters.

and why is hitting a gate or a wall and then fighting npcs over and over any fun, or flipping camps over and over etc... i can only do it for so long and if it brings no enemys il probably logout..just curious....

I can't explain (especially in english), for me it's like asking why do you like more yellow than blue.

@Susy.7529 said:

I can't explain (especially in english), for me it's like asking why do you like more yellow than blue.

good answer, and the right answer...because it is indeed , unexplainable :)

@acidic.4356 said:good answer, and the right answer...because it is indeed , unexplainable :)Why do ppl play games and enjoy to win . . . you wont understand, just give up on that pls :p

@acidic.4356 said:because u realise it means nothin right? (no prize, no legitimate claim to be the best server, nothin.) doesnt mean ur server is the bestit means exactly that