What mount set-up do you use the most?

@Dante.1508 said:That said the demo skyscale you used in some events i tested and it was abysmal to use, which made me even less interested in it.. I have no idea what people see in that slow helicopter mount, when we have a jet plane mount..

Very simple: you can start everywhere not just on high ground, as you can fly up and not only down.

With the mastery 8 skill you could even go up with skyscale and switch to griffon (or gliding to take an updrift or ley-line to go even higher).

And with the demo skyscale you dont have the mastery skills available.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Trise.2865" said:Springer is and will always be the best mount.

Just that the Skyscale is the much superior Springer! (ok, you could argues, that Springer leaves some challenges, while Skyscales makes it all trivial, I would agree)

• With mastery you can get around twice as high till you need a mountain ledge to land/rest.
  • Landing precisely on point is trivial with skyscale and can be quite demanding with Springer. (Do Acrophobia in the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skyscale_of_Fear collection with Springer (you have to to get the skyscale :) ) and do it with skyscale, and you know what I mean :) )

@"Dante.1508" said:I use Gryphon as its the best.. and fastest, i did not get the skyscale as the quests are atrocious, That said the demo skyscale you used in some events i tested and it was abysmal to use, which made me even less interested in it.. I have no idea what people see in that slow helicopter mount, when we have a jet plane mount..

Also my second most used mounts are the Jackal and Bunny. I have all the other mounts..

The demo skyscale must not have all of its abilities unlocked (I don't remember!). Either that or you didn't give it a chance. It is very clearly faster and more versatile in every possible way with the only exception being the griffon's dive maneuver. If it can't use that, the skyscale is simply better: faster, higher vertical flight, ability to hover and fly indefinitely, ability to climb walls. And as I said, the skyscale's ability to do all of that actually compliments the griffon, even while it replaces it. If you want to get to higher ground to make better use of your griffon, the skyscale is generally the best way to do that!

But enough talk. Here's a video that will quickly demonstrate the basic idea of the skyscale and make it immediately obvious that it can do things that the other mounts simply can't.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Dante.1508" said:I use Gryphon as its the best.. and fastest, i did not get the skyscale as the quests are atrocious, That said the demo skyscale you used in some events i tested and it was abysmal to use, which made me even less interested in it.. I have no idea what people see in that slow helicopter mount, when we have a jet plane mount..

Also my second most used mounts are the Jackal and Bunny. I have all the other mounts..

The demo skyscale must not have all of its abilities unlocked (I don't remember!). Either that or you didn't give it a chance. It is very clearly faster and more versatile in every possible way with the only exception being the griffon's dive maneuver. If it can't use that, the skyscale is simply better: faster, higher vertical flight, ability to hover and fly indefinitely, ability to climb walls. And as I said, the skyscale's ability to do all of that actually compliments the griffon, even while it replaces it. If you want to get to higher ground to make better use of your griffon, the skyscale is generally the best way to do that!

But enough talk. Here's a video that will quickly demonstrate the basic idea of the skyscale and make it immediately obvious that it can do things that the other mounts simply can't.

The test skyscales have a really poor set of skills around dragonfall. No cliff jump. You really dont get the full functionality. I would often times default to Springer it was so much better for climbing around dragonfall. Once I got Skyscale fully trained is when it really starts to shine.

It's interesting, because I have never gotten the griffon. Partly because of the huge price tag, but also for the same reason as Dante... that test version of the Griffon that I was flying around spearmarshals refuge sucked! I could not get the feel for it. Some of these comments make me reconsider getting it...

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:I use the Griffon all the time as nearly universal mount. And I really love it.I have the SkyScale but I don't like how it handles so I only use it for skyscale-directed contents.

Other mounts I only use when I need them.

dco4BTn.jpg

This is an amazing picture!

I can do all that with my Gryphon and bunny just as fast and not spend weeks farming like a Korean e-sports nut to get it.. Honestly imo the Gryphon out performs the Skyscale 100%, yes the demo had less skills but it was still atrocious to use..

@Opopanax.1803 said:

The test skyscales have a really poor set of skills around dragonfall. No cliff jump. You really dont get the full functionality. I would often times default to Springer it was so much better for climbing around dragonfall. Once I got Skyscale fully trained is when it really starts to shine.

It's interesting, because I have never gotten the griffon. Partly because of the huge price tag, but also for the same reason as Dante... that test version of the Griffon that I was flying around spearmarshals refuge sucked! I could not get the feel for it. Some of these comments make me reconsider getting it...

I must say though the test versions were bad on both but the Gryphon was less poor than the skyscale.. The quest for the skyscale imo was 100 times more pain than my Gryphon and to be honest now that i've mastered my gryphons flying mechanics its so amazing what i can do with it, HoT maps are breeze with the gryphon. Also you can stay in the air for ages if you flap at 75% not 100% stamina.

Skyscale is My Main mount, I use it majority of the time. If I already have Altitude then I'll switch to griffon over skyscale since it's so much faster and can actually keep it's altitude if flown right.The rest I only use when I want to or in certain situations since they don't really offer much apart from maybe Skimmer but there's not much water in the game to traverse over anyway outside of a few areas.

Also the reason i prefer jackal over raptor is its survivability its almost impossible to die on a jackal.. enemies attack teleport through them, fall off as high as you want teleport just before hitting the ground.. the distance it teleports is almost as far as the raptor jumps and jackal can teleport multiples times..

I use Jackal and Beetle on land, and Skyscale for vertical/mixed navigation. Griffon sometimes when the terrain is not ideal for beetle. The rest are mostly situational.

I do feel that Skyscale, as amazing as it is, really made most of the other mounts obsolete. The dodge dashes basically replaced the Raptor's leap, and my Springer rarely sees use anymore since the Skyscale is such a powerful and more manageable climber.

Ah well, I guess Skyscale is the 'legendary' mount and thus deserves to be as powerful as it is. And of course the rest of the mounts are still there if more navigational challenge is desired.

@Dante.1508 said:

@Dante.1508 said:I use Gryphon as its the best.. and fastest, i did not get the skyscale as the quests are atrocious, That said the demo skyscale you used in some events i tested and it was abysmal to use, which made me even less interested in it.. I have no idea what people see in that slow helicopter mount, when we have a jet plane mount..

I can do all that with my Gryphon and bunny just as fast and not spend weeks farming like a Korean e-sports nut to get it.. Honestly imo the Gryphon out performs the Skyscale 100%, yes the demo had less skills but it was still atrocious to use..

@Dante.1508 said:I use Gryphon as its the best.. and fastest, i did not get the skyscale as the quests are atrocious, That said the demo skyscale you used in some events i tested and it was abysmal to use, which made me even less interested in it.. I have no idea what people see in that slow helicopter mount, when we have a jet plane mount..

I must say though the test versions were bad on both but the Gryphon was less poor than the skyscale.. The quest for the skyscale imo was 100 times more pain than my Gryphon and to be honest now that i've mastered my gryphons flying mechanics its so amazing what i can do with it, HoT maps are breeze with the gryphon. Also you can stay in the air for ages if you flap at 75% not 100% stamina.

Actually, no you can't do it just as fast (prove it?). Or at least I couldn't - and I tried! Even if you use the dive maneuver, you can't gain vertical height to reach the top without swapping to the springer. In other words, the skyscale is the better option. It's faster, more versatile, and can go places you simply can't get to any other way. It also improves the griffon greatly, since it makes it so much easier to reach higher ground where you can use the griffon for the only thing it's actually good at! Quit hatin'!

@"Taril.8619" said:I'll get around to obtaining the Griffon and Skyscale soon™

Beyond that...

Jackal is my go-to all purpose terrain mount. Since, it's the fastest at going up slopes because it can teleport. It also has slightly higher base movement speed than the raptor.

Beetle for speed! Of course, if the terrain allows it.

Skipper for the yumps, probably one of my most used mounts just because I cheese everything by jumping up cliffs...

Skimmer for deep water or large areas of shallow water (For example, the water in Elon Riverlands) and of course, environmental hazards that require it (Quicksand, Brandstorm, Sulphur etc)

Raptor I rarely use these days and only for some very specific jumps that have a large distance and require maintaining or increasing height (Everything else can be done with Jackal...)

I do however, have all the mounts keybound to the numberpad, so I can easily swap between mounts as required.

This is almost exactly me except I don't have a roller beetle because I think they look ugly and don't know if I'll ever get around to the flying mounts. The questionnaire wording seemed a bit biased to me - "I do not own either a Griffon or a Skyscale, so have to resort to other mounts..." The four basic mounts cover my needs just fine and I don't feel like I am "resorting" at all when I use them. There are only two times when there seem to be particular advantages to having a flying mount. One is doing daily bounties on Path of Fire maps. It takes me longer to get to the fight on my jackal than it takes the flyers but I do get there. The other times are when I'm trying to find something on the map and pesky critters start attacking me when I'm standing still. When that happens, I think how nice it would be to just hover high enough that they wouldn't bother me. Still, it's easy enough to kill them so I don't feel at all compelled to go through the hassles of getting a flyer. If you like your flyers and find them useful, good, I'm glad for you. Me? I'm just fine with the basic four and yes they are all keybound for fast, easy swapping. Oops, almost forgot that I do have a warclaw. WvW has been so crowded since the pandemic started that I rarely go there anymore so it's easy for me to forget that poor, clunky mount.

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Dante.1508 said:That said the demo skyscale you used in some events i tested and it was abysmal to use, which made me even less interested in it.. I have no idea what people see in that slow helicopter mount, when we have a jet plane mount..

Very simple: you can start everywhere not just on high ground, as you can fly up and not only down.

With the mastery 8 skill you could even go up with skyscale and switch to griffon (or gliding to take an updrift or ley-line to go even higher).

Sadly the skill 8 is pretty much broken and useless for swapping flying mounts mid air. What happens is you get a forced delay fromwhen you launch via 8 and when it will let you remount causing a large net loss in elevation that is greater than either mounts climb ability would ever give.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

Sadly the skill 8 is pretty much broken and useless for swapping flying mounts mid air. What happens is you get a forced delay fromwhen you launch via 8 and when it will let you remount causing a large net loss in elevation that is greater than either mounts climb ability would ever give.

a) use the glider in betweenand/orb) try to improve your ping

for me it works quite well.

I own the Skyscale but not the Griffin. I use the Skyscale pretty much constantly. Even when it's slower, it's convenient enough to use over other mounts that may need to go around mountains or otherwise avoid terrain my skyscale can just fly over.

In cases where the Skyscale truly is a bother to use or there's a large amount of open land to cross, I am known to use Roller Beetle if the terrain is relatively smooth, Raptor if it isn't, but otherwise, I just fly all the time. When I have to cross lots of water or quicksand, I also use the skimmer, of course.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

Maybe. Often I am on the skyscale and the lay of the terrain below me is such that I want to get out from the cliff or whatever else I'm standing on before going into a dive. So, I can use the skyscale to both gain altitude and get a better starting position for the dive. I would like it if the animation for winged dismount didn't lock you in for a couple of seconds, but the altitude loss is not that much and the forward movement and slight arcing lift from the saddle is great for squeaking up onto ledges you couldn't quite reach by cliff jumping!

There are tons of variations on these sorts of things where I find this skill useful. Such that I actually wish it had a much shorter cooldown. I would use it!

Skyscale for ascending and moving around areas that require footing.Raptor for getting around objects and movement that requires a lot of turning.Griffon for long distances if I have the height, otherwise rollerbeetle to get to a spot faster.Skimmer and Jackal when its needed for water or portals, otherwise never.Springer is only used for CC thanks to Skyscale existing.

@Dayra.7405 said:

a) use the glider in betweenand/orb) try to improve your ping

for me it works quite well.

Yes obviously you have to use glider. Im in the US west coast w avd latency. The skill is just shitty and useless for mid air mount swapping. It worked when it first came out then they made some changes fto mount skills. Now it is useless other than to make a pretty landing off your mount or to get that extra leap to get onto a ledge.

Sorry Just my personal experience and also the experience of friends in game.

The consnsus for us is that its useless for mount switching mid air without losing altitude. It would be cool if you could change mounts around and not lose altitude, but that isnt how it works at all.

Maybe. Often I am on the skyscale and the lay of the terrain below me is such that I want to get out from the cliff or whatever else I'm standing on before going into a dive. So, I can use the skyscale to both gain altitude and get a better starting position for the dive. I would like it if the animation for winged dismount didn't lock you in for a couple of seconds, but the altitude loss is not that much and the forward movement and slight arcing lift from the saddle is great for squeaking up onto ledges you couldn't quite reach by cliff jumping!

There are tons of variations on these sorts of things where I find this skill useful. Such that I actually wish it had a much shorter cooldown. I would use it!

As I recall they changed the mount skills to not let you break animation so people could no longer change to horizontal flying from a swoop mid flap anymore (once you could when griffon was new) I think back then you could break the animation on the 8 skill which let you change mounts quickly, BUT as you point out the animation forces a long delay which forces a loss of altitude which is significant. I find it handy for the virtical leap off the mount to get into cliffs and stuff too thought.

I must say I'm surprised at the poll outcome! I always used griffon and almost never skyscale. I was convinced everyone felt like that! I'm glad to know it's different and that many people like skyscale - it seems it's just not my personal taste.

For me griffon movement set is so fluid and feels amazing! I sometimes log in just to ride it a little bit. It's slower than raptor/bunny but I often use it when I travel around the world (if the world has any terrain heigh differences) because I prefer to use 1 than constantly switch.Skyscale on the other hand is the only mount I dislike using and avoid if I can. It feels so clunky for me! I miss the griffon speed while diving and while flying the animations aren't too bad, but wall clinging feels very clunky to me.