Likelihood of GW2 coming to Steam

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did make a deal with the Chinese Tencent Steam knockoff since the game wasn't doing way too hot in there with that weird deal they had with that "what its name" low tier studio. I don't know if it is even good or bad going in with Tencent but who knows.They could if they wanted to go with Epic games since Epic is still throwing money to make their store a thing and they do give better deals than Valve 12% of game sales and even 0% of gems if they negotiate (if it is even true). The Epic store is kinda way behind Steam but at least is not saturated with asset flips and fake games for now.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@robertthebard.8150 said:They have to pay Valve to be on the platform, therefore their revenue will drop, regardless.

100 dollars. It must be insufferable for Arenanet

So here I am, hosting my game, not having to pay anyone to do it, why would I want to spend a dollar on someone else hosting it? Business 101: Keep your overhead as low as possible, so you're not eating into your profits.

Because that someone will give you access to millions of players. Again, the "cuts" from steam are on money Anet doesn't have, the question is: do you want that 70% or 0%? Business 101 would say 70% is higher than 0%. Revenue cuts from Steam are nothing compared to the gains and far from the reason for not going on Steam

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@robertthebard.8150 said:They have to pay Valve to be on the platform, therefore their revenue will drop, regardless.

So here I am, hosting my game, not having to pay anyone to do it, why would I want to spend a dollar on someone else hosting it? Business 101: Keep your overhead as low as possible, so you're not eating into your profits.

Because that someone will give you access to millions of players. Again, the "cuts" from steam are on money Anet doesn't have, the question is: do you want that 70% or 0%? Business 101 would say 70% is higher than 0%. Revenue cuts from Steam are nothing compared to the gains and far from the reason for not going on Steam

That would be great, if Steam were the only way they could generate income. It's not, obviously. Here we sit, right? Unless, of course, you're suggesting that the only way those millions of players would ever even hear about this game is because it's on Steam? How many of those millions of players aren't interested in it at all? How many of those millions of players are, or already have played? I've seen more than one instance, in more than one MMO where the devs release a patch, and players connecting through Steam can't connect. Why inflict that on yourself as a developer, especially when "that dev said something I don't like, REVIEW BOMB" is a thing? Remember Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE and the Creation Club? Despite mods that these players were already using being unchanged? Remember how that bomb applied to regular Skyrim as well, despite the fact that you can't use the CC on vanilla Skyrim? Why expose yourself to that, if you don't have to?

It won't affect me, as you couldn't pay me to use Steam, except how the forums will act the first time Valve drops the ball on a patch. It's automatically going to be ANet's fault, despite the fact that it isn't. Off the top of my head I've seen this in DDO and ESO. While some players do indeed see Valve as the Holy Grail of gaming, some of us see it in a different light, and won't use it.

That would be great, if Steam were the only way they could generate income. It's not, obviously. Here we sit, right? Unless, of course, you're suggesting that the only way those millions of players would ever even hear about this game is because it's on Steam? How many of those millions of players aren't interested in it at all? How many of those millions of players are, or already have played? I've seen more than one instance, in more than one MMO where the devs release a patch, and players connecting through Steam can't connect. Why inflict that on yourself as a developer, especially when "that dev said something I don't like, REVIEW BOMB" is a thing? Remember Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE and the Creation Club? Despite mods that these players were already using being unchanged? Remember how that bomb applied to regular Skyrim as well, despite the fact that you can't use the CC on vanilla Skyrim? Why expose yourself to that, if you don't have to?

It won't affect me, as you couldn't pay me to use Steam, except how the forums will act the first time Valve drops the ball on a patch. It's automatically going to be ANet's fault, despite the fact that it isn't. Off the top of my head I've seen this in DDO and ESO. While some players do indeed see Valve as the Holy Grail of gaming, some of us see it in a different light, and won't use it.

I stated review bombing in a previous post already:

Going on Steam is an admission of self marketing not working. Plus it has the potential to ruin a game and developer's reputation (see review bombing), imagine if the game was on Steam when the Mount License fiasco started, or the more recent rollback issues. Going on Steam offers more publicity, more exposure, but also requires a lot more communication, to diffuse bad situations and promote good ones. I'm not saying it's anything "Easy" or free money, but regarding revenue it kind of is, the question is whether that extra income is worth the other drawbacks of going on Steam.

Going on Steam does have risks. Losing revenue isn't one of them. Those that might buy it on Steam, have either already read about the game and didn't buy it outside Steam, or never heard about it, in both cases players that buy the game on Steam are players that never bothered to do so before the game went on the platform, meaning they are "lost revenue" anyway. The question was about revenue and the idea that Steam taking a 30% cut is a limiting factor for Anet putting the game on Steam. Complaining about a 30% cut over money you wouldn't be making in the first place is absolutely ridiculous.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

I stated review bombing in a previous post already:

Going on Steam is an admission of self marketing not working. Plus it has the potential to ruin a game and developer's reputation (see review bombing), imagine if the game was on Steam when the Mount License fiasco started, or the more recent rollback issues. Going on Steam offers more publicity, more exposure, but also requires a lot more communication, to diffuse bad situations and promote good ones. I'm not saying it's anything "Easy" or free money, but regarding revenue it kind of is, the question is whether that extra income is worth the other drawbacks of going on Steam.

Going on Steam does have risks. Losing revenue isn't one of them. Those that might buy it on Steam, have either already read about the game and didn't buy it outside Steam, or never heard about it, in both cases players that buy the game on Steam are players that never bothered to do so before the game went on the platform, meaning they are "lost revenue" anyway. The question was about revenue and the idea that Steam taking a 30% cut is a limiting factor for Anet putting the game on Steam. Complaining about a 30% cut over money you wouldn't be making in the first place is absolutely ridiculous.

"It's a risk, but they should do it anyway". Losing money on it is a situation, isn't the base game F2P now? So they have to pay Valve for people that are getting the game for free? Expansions, LW stuff all have to be purchased, but can be purchased either in game, or through ANet, why add a middleman? You see, giving the game away is one thing, and F2P games do that, but paying someone to provide an alternate means of connecting, for that F2P game is something else entirely.

@"robertthebard.8150" said:"It's a risk, but they should do it anyway". Losing money on it is a situation, isn't the base game F2P now? So they have to pay Valve for people that are getting the game for free? Expansions, LW stuff all have to be purchased, but can be purchased either in game, or through ANet, why add a middleman? You see, giving the game away is one thing, and F2P games do that, but paying someone to provide an alternate means of connecting, for that F2P game is something else entirely.

I see you didn't even read the post you quoted. They have to pay Valve $100 dollars yes to keep the game on the service. The middleman won't affect the game unless someone is buying the expansions or the LW stuff through Steam. Paying someone $100 dollars to provide an alternative means of connecting must be an insane sum for poor indie developer Arenanet.

@"Algreg.3629" said:love the preemptive passive-aggressiveness. I suppose you did not even know about the hefty fee Steam takes for every transaction.

The argument to counter that was, of course, that one could simply buy it directly from ANet, which begs the question, why bother with Steam at all? I don't care, one way or the other, unless it goes to "Steam Required", in which case I'll simply be uninstalling. I don't, and won't use Steam.

But when you get past business 101, you realize sometimes more overhead leads to more profit.

‘Spend money to make money’

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

But when you get past business 101, you realize sometimes more overhead leads to more profit.

‘Spend money to make money’

Indeed. Is it that you don't think they're already spending money every day to keep this game up and running? What about the money they're spending to keep GW up and running? I'm seeing your argument as "We're going to make 10 bucks on this, so let's spend 100 bucks to finance it". The argument was "but millions of players will play it on Steam". I have a Steam account, I wouldn't play it on Steam. I didn't play any of my other MMOs through Steam either. So the question is still "How many of those millions of players are aware that this game is here, and aren't interested in it?" along with "How many of those millions of players on Steam are already playing it w/out Steam?", questions that have gone unanswered, so far. There's a pretty solid reason for that, nobody really knows.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'm wondering how many posting have a degree in marketing,
and
are intimately familiar with ArenaNet's budget, metrics and marketing plans.

To be honest I was wondering the same thing

I wonder why so many seem to be getting defensive if anet decides to do it big deal, seems to me people are speaking for anet and have no idea and that works for both ends, allot of bias against steam in this thread and there is no reason to be, stop trying to discredit the idea for everyone that likes the idea of it being on steam. By the way it does not take a degree at all, allot of things are based on opinions, there is a difference between moderation and greed for example, not everyone that has a business is only in it to make money, online gives tons of resources you do not need a degree to understand it period.

@Ryou.2398 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'm wondering how many posting have a degree in marketing,
and

I wonder why so many seem to be getting defensive if anet decides to do it big deal, seems to me people are speaking for anet and have no idea and that works for both ends, allot of bias against steam in this thread and there is no reason to be, stop trying to discredit the idea for everyone that likes the idea of it being on steam. By the way it does not take a degree at all, allot of things are based on opinions, there is a difference between moderation and greed for example, not everyone that has a business is only in it to make money, online gives tons of resources you do not need a degree to understand it period.

So only post if you agree?Yea thats not how Discussions work unless you want an echo chamber and you can create that yourself on a discord server mate.

You do NOT want GW2 available on Steam!! I play another popular MMO that is sold on Steam, and they have REGULAR server outages and problems on Steam's side. All MMOs have to deal with occasional server problems, but being gated behind Steam servers exacerbates that problem

Steam = bad for MMO players. Don't need a marketing background to know that

@Linken.6345 said:

and

So only post if you agree?Yea thats not how Discussions work unless you want an echo chamber and you can create that yourself on a discord server mate.

No but it is clear nearly everyone is pushing an agenda against it, I am all for constructice criticism but it is not very sontructive to be over defensive or nearly attacking the op over it, it certainly does not warrent it, really there is no excuse for it.

@Ryou.2398 said:

and

No but it is clear nearly everyone is pushing an agenda against it, I am all for constructice criticism but it is not very sontructive to be over defensive or nearly attacking the op over it, it certainly does not warrent it, really there is no excuse for it.

Can you point out those post that nearly attacking the OP ( what ever that means)Have seen one who dont want it on steam since they dont agree with that platform, for what ever reason.Other then that its mostly people pointing out why it might not be on steam and that their personell probabely have already thought of it and dismissed the idea.Steam is pretty big its not like anet dont know about it hell they even got gw1 on it, so if it was that good gw2 would be on it aswell I would imagen.

Then only post I seen in this tread so far thats over defensive is this one Im now trying to get clerification on.

@Linken.6345 said:

and

Can you point out those post that nearly attacking the OP ( what ever that means)Have seen one who dont want it on steam since they dont agree with that platform, for what ever reason.Other then that its mostly people pointing out why it might not be on steam and that their personell probabely have already thought of it and dismissed the idea.Steam is pretty big its not like anet dont know about it hell they even got gw1 on it, so if it was that good gw2 would be on it aswell I would imagen.

Then only post I seen in this tread so far thats over defensive is this one Im now trying to get clerification on.

I am not going to point it out of my time, it is easy to see if you are confused then perhaps you are not being honest about it. People where defensive I do not need your varififcation or opinion to know.