How do I stop pop up ads in Guild Wars 2 ?

@Hyrai.8720 said:

@Moradorin.6217 said:Yea, also I would suggest NOT using chrome for starters.

I've been using chrome for several years and never had any problems apart from the massive RAM usage.

Yea I just find that chrome is and has always been the most bloated browser with the most odd things running in the background that dont seem to benefit the user so much as benefiting google w data, etc. So in general I would say if you dont like the idea of banner ads and targeted marketing invading your life, its probably the main one to avoid installing.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't have ads. Are you talking about ads on a Google Chrome Tab that you've opened on a separate screen or are you really seeing ads IN Guild Wars 2?

If it's the former I'd advise installing an adblocker. There are several good adblockers in the chrome web store (despide being called a store the addons are all free). Personally I'd recommend Adguard.

If it's the later and you really have ads in GW2, you've caught yourself some adware. That's more or less malicious software designed to show ads to you whenever you use your PC. An Antivirus program might be able to remove the adware, but more often than not the adware isn't recognized as such by the AV-program.

Edit: I'd recommend formatting your PC's hard drive and installing Windows fresh. If you have visible adware on your PC, who knows how many invisible programs you have. Worst case scenario you have a keylogger installed and someone is stealing your passwords. After you've cleared your PC you should also change your passwords.

1. NEVER use Chrome, its kinda slow, heavy RAM usage, heavy ads friendly. I recommend Firefox, heavy customizable, same extension/plugin variety as Chrome, better security and credential safety, low RAM usage, cleaner and less instrusive.
  2. The best extensions for web surfing safety are these: uBlock Origin, Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere.
  3. Use Avast Antivirus, its free, uses barely any resources, its great and it rarely bothers you with notifications. Has built-in internet security thats added to your browser, anti malware/spyware/ransomware, great firewall, fake website detector, antispam, antitracking, securevpn.
  4. Malwarebytes Anti Malware also a great software that keeps malware/spyware/ransomware away, run it when you need to scan, great combo with Avast.

Stay safe.

It's shocking how the user didn't realize by themselves that their computer got infected with adware. I recommend the OP brush up their knowledge on online security:

• Newer Windows systems give you an option called User Account Control. I recommend that you use at least the third setting. "Never notify" should be avoided, especially when you aren't computer-savvy, as it allows any software to execute on your system without your explicit permission.
  • Installing a decent software firewall in addition to your router's is a good idea. I recommend ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, as it is simple to use and configure. Make sure you set it up right to alert you about any changes.
  • A good antivirus is also extremely important these days. I also recommend Avast Free Antivirus (it also adds a security add-in to your browser, as mentioned above).
  • Configure your browser properly. Go into the settings and make sure nothing can install without your knowledge. Add-ons like Avast's Online Security help a lot to automatically block unwanted trackers and other things, but it is also important that your browser is set up right. (As recommended by Gundahar, Firefox is the best browser with tons of detailed configuration options to make surfing the web a lot more secure.)
  • Always read the text in installation windows before you click on any buttons to proceed. Especially freeware often gets sponsored by third parties who will add an option that is already checked to install some software of their own (or some browser extension) on your system. This should be avoided.

There are additional things to know on how to can keep your PC safe, but these are the most important ones.

P.S. I hope you were able to remove the adware and any viruses from your computer by now. :)

@Gundahar.2765 said:

1. NEVER use Chrome, its kinda slow, heavy RAM usage, heavy ads friendly. I recommend Firefox, heavy customizable, same extension/plugin variety as Chrome, better security and credential safety, low RAM usage, cleaner and less instrusive.
  2. The best extensions for web surfing safety are these: uBlock Origin, Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere.
  3. Use Avast Antivirus, its free, uses barely any resources, its great and it rarely bothers you with notifications. Has built-in internet security thats added to your browser, anti malware/spyware/ransomware, great firewall, fake website detector, antispam, antitracking, securevpn.
  4. Malwarebytes Anti Malware also a great software that keeps malware/spyware/ransomware away, run it when you need to scan, great combo with Avast.

Stay safe.

My Chrome has been the fastest of the bunch so far and the ads-issue can easily be fixed by Ublock Origin (+ Ublock extra). I myself have never seen RAM usage been ridiculous to be honest but that's probably because I never use more than 7 or so tabs at a time, I don't like having unneccessary tabs open:).The google account integration is something really good in Chrome I think, and in terms of security/UI I find both to be really close to each other. Between Firefox and Chrome I really think it's more of a preference thing, no :)?

Anyways to answer OP's question: install the free version of Malwarebytes and Adwarecleaner from the official malwarebytes site and do a manual scan on both. They should detect the adware/malware your computer seems to be infected with. Afterwards, an adblocker can be handy to prevent this from happening again in the future:)!