Ryland's status? [spoilers]

Killerassel.2197

Ryland's Steel warband is killed during the map meta and story instances. That should make him a gladium, right? Or does his high rank somehow protect him and at least allows him to immediately recruit new members and rebuild the warband? Is there any canon material about such a situation?

So, assuming he is a gladium, how does his future look?

On the one side there's Bangar. He has already displayed with General Soulkeeper, that he is willing to ignore the gladium status if it suits him. He may do the same to Ryland - or treat him accordingly, maybe even just outright kill or ban him for "being such a failure".

But I'm more interested in the legions. With Smodur's kitten move, I think Ryland has nothing to return to. Even if he was willing to defect from the frost legion and even if the Charr were forgiving him for being in league with Bangar in the first place, he would still be an outcast. This can't look like an option to him.

Thus I think he can't be rescued any more and that he will not survive Ice Brood Saga.

Just to mention them: The Olmakhan let Rox, also a gladium, join. They could become a new home for him, too, but I don't think he would fit in well.

I think there is a very small chance for Ryland to turn back at the last minute if he realizes he's been played by Bangar/Jormag and he hasn't been corrupted by Jormag at that point. However, since he ran ahead past an army of clearly corrupted frost legion, including Boneskinners, I don't think he will realize it in time and will likely have to be fought and killed alongside Bangar.

I dont think his rank would drop to a gladium... bangar wont dishonor one of his best allies.But probably the blood legion wont look at him like they should look at a tribune tho cuz he lost his warband.And he will not join the united legions cuz first we killed his whole warband and warband is family for the charrSecond he killed ( he didnt hit the last below i know ) General Soulkeeper so probably the whole legions would simply hate him

I agree with the fact that he still wouldn't have a place to return even if he betrayed Bangar because he was still responsible, but I think that for Rytlock and Crecia it is better to know that their son is alive even if far from the legions and not that he died in battle.

I would have to figure Ryland's in a pretty dark place with the way things have gone. The war took a turn, the cost is probably something he wasn't prepared for, and with this new "Frost Legion" maybe things still look winnable but what kind of victory is it when everyone is effectively Icebrood? He probably has deep doubts about Bangar but hates the United Legions more. So I see him being that kind of nothing-left-to-lose character that could go pretty much any which way...I agree that he probably doesn't survive the saga. Though it wouldn't be a total shock if he sacrifices himself to save Rytlock and/or Crecia, given they're the only characters that still like him.

I just hope Anet dont try to pull a redemption arc for him and make him some kind of hero, he is a war criminal, he killed hundreds of innocents(the Tengu jornal talks about the Dominion effect on the region) at this point...he is no diferent from Ulgoth, Gaheron, Caudecus or any other villain that we faced at this point, in fact, he might be even worse, atleast most villains allways showed their true intentions, while Ryland is a deceiver...I actually hate him more then Scarlet.

Second he killed ( he didnt hit the last below i know ) General SoulkeeperTo me it makes all the difference, that he refused to deal the killing blow. He jumped into the fight to defend his imperator. He didn't have much choice at that point. But when it came to it he did not follow Bangar's order to execute Almorra. And then he buried her with dignity. I can't blame him for her death. I agree, though, that while we players know these details, the general charr population will not and may think differently.

In Bangar's Dominion, there are no gladiaGood catch. I didn't see that line. This is why VO is so important... ^^'

but I think that for Rytlock and Crecia it is better to know that their son is aliveMaybe. Most human parents, sure. But Charr are a bit different. I have even heard speculation that Rytlock himself will kill Ryland to stop him. And it would fit - in the Vigil personal story line Almorra sends you to kill Ajax, the renegade leader, even though he is her cub.

What Felipe has written reminds me about Darth Vader. ? Different universe, but there are a lot of similarities. Followed an evil imperator and committed many sins while doing so. I wouldn't wonder right now if Ryland was going to have a similar moment than the end of Star Wars VI. Last minute redemption, but then dies anyway.

@"Felipe.1807" said:I just hope Anet dont try to pull a redemption arc for him and make him some kind of hero, he is a war criminal, he killed hundreds of innocents(the Tengu jornal talks about the Dominion effect on the region) at this point...he is no diferent from Ulgoth, Gaheron, Caudecus or any other villain that we faced at this point, in fact, he might be even worse, atleast most villains allways showed their true intentions, while Ryland is a deceiver...I actually hate him more then Scarlet.

I suspect that his redemption arc, if there is one, would begin with him killing Bangar. Then, of course, all would be forgiven because we're supposed to forget the atrocities he committed once he says "I made a mistake".

Naw, I hope we either kill him or bring him to trial for his war crimes. Then kill him.

Smodur murdering Cinder, and then Crecia's utterly STUPID saving of Smodur from Ryland (which IMHO is one of the worst plots moves ANet has ever conceived in GW2) together have burned whatever bridges we still had left with Ryland. I would be genuinely surprised if the story goes any other way than Ryland killing Bangar for leading him astray, and then Ryland ends up taking Bangar's place as Jormag's champion to seek the rest of his revenge against us.

Supporting that, go back to the first Icebrood Saga trailer video, the one where Jormag is talking to us and then appears behind the horde of advancing Icebrood. There's an Icebrood Charr leading that horde, and it's almost certainly not Bangar because Bangar has a unique appearance. To my eyes, it looks like Ryland. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, I'm actually more curious now about how Smodur's part will play out. Is Jormag manipulating him? Is he playing double agent for Bangar? Or is he just another self-serving wannabe Khan-Ur willing to sabotage anything that he thinks might keep him from that? Whatever the case, his days are almost certainly numbered. Between Rytlock, Malice, Efram, Crecia, the Commander, and Ryland, he has terminally angered just about everyone on his level, and one or more of us very likely will end up killing him, possibly as soon as next episode, and I'm looking more forward to seeing that than I am anything to do with Ryland.

@Jimbru.6014 said:Smodur murdering Cinder, and then Crecia's utterly STUPID saving of Smodur from Ryland (which IMHO is one of the worst plots moves ANet has ever conceived in GW2)Letting Smodur die would have been an absolutely terrible move on Crecia's part because then they would have to deal with not only Bangar, and large parts of the Blood Legion, going off the rails, but a power vacuum in the Iron Legion, which would cripple the United Legion's ability to put up a resistance against the Dominion/Frost Legion.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@"Zaxares.5419" said:Sorry, Rytlock, but I'm still killing Ryland. :P

If there was any "Role Playing" part left to this MMO
RP
G, it would have already let me stuff that "grenade" up Smodur's kitten kitten.

Not disagreeing there. After all, there's only one Charr worthy to become Khan-Ur... ME! After all, I DO have an Elder Dragon at my command as a friend. ;)

• 2 weeks later...