Are +5 Infusions really worth 4k DPS?

Yea, the more I've practiced, the more I've realized that there are just some things going on with rotation, particularly with auto attacks that made the difference. I was able to fit in all the big skills in the rotation in about the same amount of time, but the benchmark vid was set with someone who was able to get in all of the big skills so efficiently that they were able to get in more auto attacks without having to delay weapon swaps or things like that. It still frustrates me that this makes so much of a difference, but I do have big respect for the people that pull this off.

Right. The order of skills matter and the time between them also matters. You can queue actions by pressing a skill button slightly before the previous one finishes. When starting out, you need to watch the fill bar, get the rhythm down, then drill it until it becomes muscle memory and you don't need to look at the fill bar anymore.

If you queue actions perfectly, there should be no auto 1s between your skill buttons. If you open up your simple rotation and see an auto 1 in between big skills, this means your rhythm is slightly off. Because nobody has perfect metronomic rhythm, this is why you see buttons getting mashed in benchmark videos to ensure they get queued with no gaps in between.

I'm learning Condi Firebrand right now and of course I'm using the [sC] benchmark and arcDPS log to identify areas I can improve. After memorizing the rotation, my first logged run ended up being 25k/s average. The [sC] benchmark was 31k/s. I let 64 scepter autos through. The [sC] benchmark let zero through. The skill queueing and zealot's fire timings were so good, they did not let a single scepter auto attack go off. Honestly, I'm not convinced that some of those guys are even human.

The good news for you is that if you can chill at 27-29k/s on a golem, thats good enough for pretty much everything in the game except high end speed clears.

If you're trying to hit these benchmarks in regular gameplay I ask that you please wear wrist braces or you'll regret it later. Its exteremely hard on your fingers, hands and wrists, and is mostly done for experimental proof of concept reasons and can cause permanent damage over just a few years. And then you'll struggle to do any demanding tasks in games at all.

Consider that a short term boon becomes a long-term liability.

There's no content in the game that needs those DPS numbers to clear, not even raids. A guild used to clear raids in Masterwork (green) gear by doing hardcore rotations so imagine what level of effort you actually need in Exotic/Ascended.

Well, it's not really the act of hitting skills early to queue them or to hit them quickly enough that has been the challenge , but the toughest thing is really knowing exactly when to press to cast certain skills since it's so easy to cancel-cast certain skills if you hit the next one too early as well as to waste time if you don't do so early enough.

@RaidsAreEasyAF.8652 said:They are definitely not worth 6k dps.your rotation just isn't super clean, you start the fight with an auto attack and on your first shattering blow you are already 2 seconds behind the benchmark. Speed is important for a rotation and you can already lack behind 2 seconds in the first 3 seconds of a log. That's a huge time loss.

Was only looking at the log. In the video you also don't reset your burst skill with your healing skill.

I wonder which class build is less impacted by network lag.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:It still frustrates me that this makes so much of a differenceIt's actually one of the problems devs have to live with now. There's a ton of theoretically small, hard to notice (or hard to reproduce) things that have a surprisingly big impact on dps effectiveness. It's one of the factors for why the dps disparity between top and average players is so massive in this game.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Dahkeus.8243 said:It still frustrates me that this makes so much of a differenceIt's actually one of the problems devs have to live with now. There's a ton of theoretically small, hard to notice (or hard to
reproduce
) things that have a surprisingly big impact on dps effectiveness. It's one of the factors for why the dps disparity between top and average players is so massive in this game.

And it's the combination of bad build choice on top of bad rotation further multiplying the difference. One of the worst examples might be power sword berserker. By itself it already has half of axe+axe's damage with optimized zerker gears. If that player takes warhorn as off-hand, that's another 30% off easily. If they run survival traits in Strength, another 30% off. Taking Tactics over Discipline with survival traits is also about 20% off. And then, if they use lvl 80 boost Soldier's gears, that's more than 50% off. And bad rotation is another 50%. Result? Top-tier metaplayer does 20x the damage of that random sword+warhorn/shield wannabe-Boromir (and Kitty's not trying to insult anyone here, Boromir just came to mind when Kitty had already written those percentiles and weapon choices. That example is theorethical but Kitty's seen similar stuff happening a lot in-game build/numbers-wise.)

@Kulvar.1239 said:I wonder which class build is less impacted by network lag.There’s no definite answer afaik, but I assume it’s classes that rely the least on:

• combination(s) of different low cast time skills pressed in quick succession. In between each cast, I assume there is a minuscule delay from lag, which adds up to massive amounts of time wasted and hence why benchers with optimal latency can fit x more auto chains in a rotation/finishes rotation in x amount of time
  • skills with abnormally long aftercasts (or just ‘aftercast management’). I have a feeling that high latency goes into more of the aftercast vs optimal latency even when queuing skills. Or the skill gets cancelled and completely wasted if you queue the next skill too quickly. This is probably why it’s difficult to determine a lag-friendly class at first glance even if its rotation is ‘simple’/‘simpler’

Sometimes the rotation needs to be altered to get higher numbers.

Power staff weaver (when it used to be meta) and pre-rework condi (banner?) berserker at some point of time used to be lag-friendly specs (or at least ppl w/ ~300 ping managed to get within 1-2k difference). Mainly just power staff weaver tho.