How do templates work?

I understand you can set your own templates and rename them but I want to ask some stuff before I do that so I don't waste unnecessary money.

1. For example, I have Meteorlogicus equipped in both my PvE and WvW templates. What happens if I click on my WvW template and remove the sigil from the sceptre? Will it remove the sigil from both templates? How can I equip Meteorlogicus but have different sigils in each template? Do I have to craft another Meteorlogicus for the WvW template?

2. For armour, it's also on both since I just copied the whole template over because I want the same transmutations for aesthetic reasons. I want to equip Trailblazer on my PvE template while equipping Celestial on my WvW template. I'm presuming I will have to craft additional armour for this? I cannot just change the ascended stats on the armour in the WvW template right? Then I have to equip the Celestial armour into the WvW template and transmute them right?

Is there actually a cheaper, better way to get what I want? At the end of the day, I'm doing all this just because I want to have Celestial for WvW but Trailblazer for PvE so I thought the build template is perfect for this. I wouldn't have to carry a second set of equipment in my inventory and change it, piece by piece, every time.

Thank you!

1: if you remove a sigil in a legendary it only removes it from that template as far as I am aware. Equip the legendary in the second template and just put the other sigil in there. You can even swap the stat choice.2: Not sure where you're using trailblazer in PvE (scourge maybe) , but unless your armor is legendary you need a separate set for a different stat combination.

Note: there is no "PvE" or "WvW" equipment template. It just has a default tab. I was actually one of the people that insisted there be a default tab per game mode. At the introduction of templates we had to switch manually every time we went into WvW which just made people even more likely to buy a separate character for WvW.

The cheapest way is ascended everything for both templates at least until legendary armory comes out.

Equipment templates are basically dedicated bag slots for a set of equipment, which reduce the clicking needed to change between sets.

You still need to have an item with the right stats, upgrades etc. and each item can still only have 1 set of stats at a time (except legendaries), but instead of keeping additional items with different stats in your inventory you now keep them in an equipment template and then you can switch to the whole lot by selecting that template instead of having to equip each item one at a time.

Pretty much all these questions are answered in the wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Template

How do legendary items work and can they be assigned different stats per equipment template?

An item can be equipped in multiple templates. Legendary items can be assigned different attributes in each template, giving you the freedom to easily change your playstyle.

Can runes and sigils be used across multiple template slots?

As long as the item can be removed at no cost (e.g. runes in legendary armor) equipment stored in one tab can be used across other tabs.

What this means is:

• you can use Meteorlogicus across multiple equipment templates with different stats and different sigils, since legendary items allow for this
  • you can use the same ascended items (or any non legendary quality) across multiple templates, but you can not change the stats or upgrades in them without further interaction (aka using extractors or similar)

@"Infusion.7149" said:1: if you remove a sigil in a legendary it only removes it from that template as far as I am aware. Equip the legendary in the second template and just put the other sigil in there. You can even swap the stat choice.

Yea, I noticed that swapping the stat on one template won't affect the other templates; at least for legendary equipment.

2: Not sure where you're using trailblazer in PvE (scourge maybe) , but unless your armor is legendary you need a separate set for a different stat combination.

Yup! I'm playing scourge on my main. Thanks, I'll just craft another set of ascended armour then.

Note: there is no "PvE" or "WvW" equipment template. It just has a default tab. I was actually one of the people that insisted there be a default tab per game mode. At the introduction of templates we had to switch manually every time we went into WvW which just made people even more likely to buy a separate character for WvW.

Oh yea, sure! I just named my templates as such.

The cheapest way is ascended everything for both templates at least until legendary armory comes out.

Thanks. I understand that in PvP, stats are equalised for everybody correct? So it wouldn't matter if you had legendary vs someone only having exotic. For WvW, this isn't the case so it's definitely worth bringing ascended correct? I was hoping I could get away with exotic for cost reasons.

@Danikat.8537 said:Equipment templates are basically dedicated bag slots for a set of equipment, which reduce the clicking needed to change between sets.

You still need to have an item with the right stats, upgrades etc. and each item can still only have 1 set of stats at a time (except legendaries), but instead of keeping additional items with different stats in your inventory you now keep them in an equipment template and then you can switch to the whole lot by selecting that template instead of having to equip each item one at a time.

Thanks! I'll just think of templates as self-defined, character-specific bag slots for armour and weapons.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Pretty much all these questions are answered in the wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Template

How do legendary items work and can they be assigned different stats per equipment template?

An item can be equipped in multiple templates. Legendary items can be assigned different attributes in each template, giving you the freedom to easily change your playstyle.

As long as the item can be removed at no cost (e.g. runes in legendary armor) equipment stored in one tab can be used across other tabs.

What this means is:
  • you can use Meteorlogicus across multiple equipment templates with different stats and different sigils, since legendary items allow for this
  • you can use the same ascended items (or any non legendary quality) across multiple templates, but you can not change the stats or upgrades in them without further interaction (aka using extractors or similar)

This mean I'll have to create a separate set of Celestial (or whatever stats I want) ascended armour right? If I change the stats in one template via the Mystic Forge, it will remove the stats for any template that also contains that armour. In other words, the templates don't give you "free equipment" if that make sense, with the same exception of Legendary tier equipment?

@TimHellen.5903 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Pretty much all these questions are answered in the wiki:

What this means is:

This mean I'll have to create a separate set of Celestial (or whatever stats I want) ascended armour right? If I change the stats in one template via the Mystic Forge, it will remove the stats for any template that also contains that armour. In other words, the templates don't give you "free equipment" if that make sense, with the same exception of Legendary tier equipment?

Exactly, templates simply allow you to store items in different compositions outside of the inventory in the template storage and setup. They do NOT allow the change of state of those items unless the items are designed this way, as with legendary gear.

Ascended and exotic gear does not gain the ability to change stats, because it does not have these properties normally. You can use the same item in multiple templates, but it will always be with the same stats and upgrades. Only legendary gear allows for different setups between equipment tabs.