Discussion on how to fight necros/reapers with rangers

kiwituatara.6053

Hey guys, for WvW, how are you guys doing against necro/reaper? I find them really difficult to deal with, especially reaper. Came back after 2yrs break and it seems like a lot of them have remedied their slow speed with speed runes. That, coupled with an absurd amount of hp pool, I am having difficulties kiting them or bringing their health down. Just wanted to find out what other rangers are doing against them.

Necros lack stability so if you're running a longbow and can position the Necro near a cliff, yeet him off with point black shot.Doesn't matter how tanky his stats are in that situation, unless it's hostile terrority and he can glide away.. if not then enjoy watching him becoming painfully intimate with the floor :D

You have plenty of range and mobility on ranger to kite necros forever. The only thing they can do from range is use staff skills which are bad or pull you with spectral grasp. If LB fails you can always go boonbeast (or whatever is used in pvp nowadays) and outsustain them since their main defense is healthbar.

Try not to directly engage the opponent in a melee duel, they have a lot of vitality and you would hardly be able to kill them before they kill you.Try to attack them from a distance, Necro have poor mobility and this is a huge advantage for Rangers who use LB.If you could post your Build we could be more specific.

I don't have as much problem with regular necros/reapers, its when they have speed runes I find it incredibly difficult to kite. I don't have a set build, I run 8 different rangers, the only one I have any luck with dealing with necros/reapers is a full "pve" dps gimmicky soulbeast longbow build with no defensive capabilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Necros have almost no Stability so either Longbow #4 or Shortbow #5. Greatsword can also work, but you need to know how to "dance" around them to keep cancelling their skills, you can't just attack them face to face.

Just beware that Scourges can portal to you and if it catches you off guard you're finished.

Necros are far from a threat to Ranger's superior consistent damage output from range.

And Ranger also has many tools to avoid engages from Necros in general.

The only time Ranger is even in any sort of danger from a Necro is when they are trying to duel them with a Greatsword, which then again, can be done so if supported by yur pet or yur own CC before engaging.

Others nailing it. I'll add that as someone who loves playing on my power reaper, I lose life force in reaper's shroud (my bread and butter) incredibly quick. Kiting is a problem in reaper's shroud, but don't underestimate gravedigger, our ability to close distance quickly. Though It's on an 8 second recharge, it's a point A to point B skill, so if you move, i'll miss my mark. and back to square one of chasing.

Also, pay close to attention to our executioner's scythe with a 240 range - this is a skill that will freeze you and allow me to overwhelm in damage - it's really easy to telegraph tho, as it's the animation that will raise the scythe all the way, pause, and chop down.

Also, don't underestimate our range in reaper's shroud - where the greatsword is at a 130 range, the scythe is at a 220 range; it's impressive but also easily negated with a SB, LB, or Axe.