What happens when a Charr dies?

Copestetic.5174

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Any creature with a soul goes to the afterlives within the Mists. Which depends on their faiths and actions in life. We don't have a full scope of the afterlives, however, so we don't know where most end up going.

It's a curious question, Charr heavily shun religion and gods and their culture tends to definine their personality and morality.. so if that plays a part it makes their afterlife an interesting thing to think about.

Could their afterlife be something similar to the Fissure of Woe perhaps?.. a forever war.. an eternal war machine.. where the Charr can fight on forever, that would certainly seem to suit many of them.But then what happens to the more furtive and peacefull Charr who don't have a taste for war and violence?..What dictates the up or down process for Charr?Are they rewarded for being better killers and fighters or punished for their barbarism and warmongering..Are they rewarded for being peaceful and non violent.. or punished for being cowards..

Hell maybe a bunch of dead Charr founded a Mists legion and are somewhere in the void waging war on everything powerful they can find just for the challenge xDAs much a joke as that was, I could actually imagine something like that tbh.Get up Soldier!! You maybe dead but that just means your harder to kill now!! Get those ghost paws moving soldier and get out there and kill some demons!! lol

Interesting subject for sure though ^^

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Any creature with a soul goes to the afterlives within the Mists. Which depends on their faiths and actions in life. We don't have a full scope of the afterlives, however, so we don't know where most end up going.

It's a curious question, Charr heavily shun religion and gods and their culture tends to definine their personality and morality.. so if that plays a part it makes their afterlife an interesting thing to think about.

Could their afterlife be something similar to the Fissure of Woe perhaps?.. a forever war.. an eternal war machine.. where the Charr can fight on forever, that would certainly seem to suit many of them.But then what happens to the more furtive and peacefull Charr who don't have a taste for war and violence?..What dictates the up or down process for Charr?Are they rewarded for being better killers and fighters or punished for their barbarism and warmongering..Are they rewarded for being peaceful and non violent.. or punished for being cowards..

Hell maybe a bunch of dead Charr founded a Mists legion and are somewhere in the void waging war on everything powerful they can find just for the challenge xDAs much a joke as that was, I could actually imagine something like that tbh.Get up Soldier!! You maybe dead but that just means your harder to kill now!! Get those ghost paws moving soldier and get out there and kill some demons!! lol

I certainly hope Arenanet doesn't plan on diving into an after life setting anytime soon.I feel like comments like yours are inspried by WoW's upcoming expansion.

@Fueki.4753 said:

I certainly hope Arenanet doesn't plan on diving into an after life setting anytime soon.I feel like comments like yours are inspried by WoW's upcoming expansion.

Unlikely they will haha well not in game anyway but some kind of out of game info to satisfy curiousity wouldn't be a terrible thing.We know at least a bit about Human afterlife thanks to lore on the Gods and the Underworld etcWouldn't mind a bit more lore on others.

Afraid I have no interest in WoW though nor follow the game so im not sure what inspirations you're referring to.If anything I said seems similar to any upcoming WoW content it's completely coincidental.

All beings in GW2's universe share the same afterlife - the Mists. Its just that different divine beings like the Human Gods have used their powers to control certain "realms" within the Mists that their followers can go to. Without this the Mists are vast (an entire multiverse), and there's no telling where you'd end up, that's why you can't just visit the dead because they could be anywhere or anything.

Most Charr naturally shun gods, so its hard to know what happens to them without someone to channel their spirit energy. In Tyria's spacetime, souls are just a form of magic, that can't be destroyed (think Conversation of Energy), only "consumed".

No one met Kalla in the Mists, its just that all new Revenants could connect with her somehow, which is quite interesting.

@Hannelore.8153 said:No one met Kalla in the Mists, its just that all new Revenants could connect with her somehow, which is quite interesting.

Who is to say that Rytlock didn't meet her (and all future elite specialization's Legends)?All we know for certain is that he met Balthazar and Glint.He most likely met a ton of other characters, too, possibly even Shiro, Ventari, Jalis and Mallyx.We have no information on whom he didn't meet though.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:No one met Kalla in the Mists, its just that all new Revenants could connect with her somehow, which is quite interesting.

Who is to say that Rytlock didn't meet her (and all future elite specialization's Legends)?All we know for certain is that he met Balthazar and Glint.He most likely met a ton of other characters, too, possibly even Shiro, Ventari, Jalis and Mallyx.We have no information on whom he didn't meet though.

I don't remember where but he talks about it at some point, when he's training the Revenants in Black Citadel.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:No one met Kalla in the Mists, its just that all new Revenants could connect with her somehow, which is quite interesting.

Technically, revenants don't contact Kalla. Revenants channel echoes of figures who have left a strong enough impact on the Mists, not souls like many people mistakenly believe. This is why in Daybreak, revenants can channel "Legendary Prisoner Stance" Palawa Joko to get out of the prison, despite the fact that Joko's soul is very much still attached to his body.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:No one met Kalla in the Mists, its just that all new Revenants could connect with her somehow, which is quite interesting.

Who is to say that Rytlock didn't meet her (and all future elite specialization's Legends)?All we know for certain is that he met Balthazar and Glint.He most likely met a ton of other characters, too, possibly even Shiro, Ventari, Jalis and Mallyx.We have no information on whom he didn't meet though.For the above reason of revenants not channeling souls, it's very likely he didn't meet any of those souls. We're still not even sure if Jalis is dead, and both Shiro and Mallyx - if their souls even still exist, given they were killed in Nightfall (in Shiro's case, that was his
soul
being "killed") - would be in the Realm of Torment and there's no indication that Rytlock went there.

For all we know, Rytlock could have met a grand total of nobody beyond Balthazar and Glint - parts of the Mists can be a fairly desolate place, as shown by the first part of Facing the Truth instance. Though I imagine there were probably some prison warden constructs or something Rytlock ran through to get to Balthazar - if Abaddon was locked behind magical chains, eight gates, and had an army of wardens, it's hard to imagine Balthazar had nothing but magical chains, even if Abaddon was still a full-fledged god and Balthazar wasn't - even Dhuum is had King Frozenwind and a group of ice elementals as wardens.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:well, it is pretty obvious where they go:Alpine BorderlandsDesert BorderlandEternal Battlegrounds

where countless charr sentinels and guards fight for their lifes every minute. Where huge mobs of people of all races supported by fierce charr firebrands roll around the areas, looking for fights.

Fun thought, but the WvW maps (and PvP) are confirmed fractals, which don't seem to be related to afterlives.

Warriors of all backgrounds have been venturing into the Mists for centuries to participate in a never-ending cycle of conquest colloquially known as the Mist Wars. We have long believed that these battlegrounds exist in a repetitious "fractal state." This term was coined by the asuran Mistlock Observatory, which is itself trapped within in a fractal state. (We are aware of the irony, although they may not be.) One of the chief characteristics of a fractal is its impermanence. Events eventually reset to a default origin state regardless of actions taken therein. The second chief characteristic is that subjects of a fractal cannot be removed from their environment just as a reflection cannot be removed from a mirror.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Warclaw

@Randulf.7614 said:Pet SemetaryThis kind of hit a nerve with me with all that's been going on because boy oh boy am I tired of reading fiction where non-human races have been enslaved by white people because they're animals or whatnot and totally not an analogue for black people or anything like that. It's just an unsettling mood, it's not a good way to think about a sentient race capable of free will.

I know, I know. I'm oversensitive. It's dumb. I just don't like it.

@Hypnowulf.7403 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Pet SemetaryThis kind of hit a nerve with me with all that's been going on because boy oh boy am I tired of reading fiction where non-human races have been enslaved by white people because they're animals or whatnot and totally not an analogue for black people or anything like that. It's just an unsettling mood, it's not a good way to think about a sentient race capable of free will.

I know, I know. I'm oversensitive. It's dumb. I just don't like it.

I understand what you are saying. I'm reading a lot of Golden Era Sci fi atm and there are plenty of examples of books that have dated in ideologies quite badly at times in terms of racial and gender portrayals. Some of it can be quite tough to read (although it does allow you to see how far we have come at times and that is important)

In this case however, the analogy isn't there. The Charr were not enslaved or oppressed by humans (the Charr in fact oppressed their own kind through religious zealotry). Whilst humanity in the GW Universe have culpability in the conflicts between the two, this is a clear cut case of two different civilisations at war for territory. This is more like primitive ancient wars of our ancient history and the Charr in the GW1 era were very much the aggressors. Making a joke against them doesn't reflect anything to do with the current mood because there is no comparison between two pre-medieval warring tribes and the justified call for equality in a modern society.