It’s been a year since the last raid wing has come out

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:I'm not backtracking. The systems aren't needed in T1, but still drive people away because they exist. Same way the term "Raid" drive people away, or how "Corona"-Beer had losses because of the virus. It doesn't matter if the system isn't used in T1, players will still stay away based on perception.

They exist but aren't even visible, how do they drive people away? Going in circles doesn't help anyone, but you already disproved this so I'll simply move on. The truth of the matter is that content with difficulty tiers, had LESS development than content without them. And as you just said, just like the mechanics of Fractals for some reason drove players away, the word Raids also drove players away, so it's not like difficulty tiers would help much, would they?

Multiple reasons why people are driven away can exist at the same time. The existence of one doesn't nullify another one.Difficulty tiers can help more people into certain content, but complicated sounding systems like agony can throw away that benefit.How are the systems like agony not even visible? You can clearly see it. It is even integrated into a whole gearset that was created for that reason.

But still, running content that isn't fun just for a high reward is also a reason people don't play content, regardless of how hard or easy said content is.

That's hardly relevant when comparing the release pace of content with difficulty tiers versus content without them. Remember your original argument was that Raids failed because they didn't have difficulty tiers. You just put a another nail on that argument by saying Raids failed because they were called "Raids".

I wasn't the one mentioning the high rewards, they were part of your argument. I just simply comented on that line.Like I've said before, multiple reasons can drive people away. I'm not sure why you're pretending that there can only be one reason.Raids not having difficulty tiers is one of the reasons. Raids being called "Raids" is another one.

Build templates are content and most likely the reason for the Q4 failure. Only because you can't "play" it, it doesn't mean that the devs had to spent plenty of time developing it. It is still content. The whole swiss tournament system is content, even though it is technical.

Then we'll agree to disagree here. Build Templates is NOT content.

Guess we'll have to. I also consider Swiss and World Restructuring which still hasn't released content.

Going through
I'm still wondering where those mystical 6 to 14 months of only OW content are.

The exact number of months will depend based on what you call "content". I gave the actual time frames since we got anything other than OW content in my first post of this thread, showing the lack of development on anything other than OW in this game. Something that seems to be changing with the latest road map, and hopefully will continue in the next one.

I've reread your post, but there's nothing about a timeframe of only OW content. I can see the separation of the different gamemodes, but not the time where we have gotten "exclusively open world content for about 6 to 14 months (based on what you might call "content")".

More content as in content.

We've been getting the same amount of OW content as we always did. Why do you need MORE of it? Isn't the release cadence of episodes and new maps enough for you? It's everything else that needs more attention and hopefully they will get some love too.

Where have I implied that I only want OW content? I don't consider things like E-speccs, Mounts and similiar stuff OW content, but if you do, fine.

So yeah, I hope they release more things to enjoy catered towards the majority / things that pay off for Anet, unlike templates and raids, apparently.

Apparently these "things for the majority" didn't pay off for Anet judging by their latest reports. We'll see if the new, more varied, direction continues to increase revenue or not.

Those things for the minority also didn't pay off and gave us the worst quarter since GW2 released. I really hope they don't spend too much time on those systems that only benefit those small communities that don't increase revenue.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Raknar.4735 said:Those things for the minority also didn't pay off and gave us the worst quarter since GW2 released. I really hope they don't spend too much time on those systems that only benefit those small communities that don't increase revenue.

Can you please reference the financial quarter you are referring to? Because last I checked, the steep decline of the revenue came pretty much during and after a period where nothing but open world content was released for over 1.5 years and nothing besides open world content was promised for the future (this includes lack of an expansion announcement, which just tanked revenue instead of continuing the steady decline).

Last fractal release is 1.5 years ago: Siren's Reef (slowing release cadence down to 1 fractal per year, now even slower than that)Last raid wing was released 1 year ago: Key of Ahdashim (same as fractals, slowing release cadence down to 1 raid per year)

We have since seen a continued decline, both in total earnings as well as YoY in earnings with a short recovery rise for Q1 2020, 12.530 billion KRW (approx 10.4 million US $), up by ~10.5% from 11.3 billion KRW (approx 9.38 million US $) in Q4 2019. Down by ~23.4% YoY from 16.3 billion KRW in Q1 2019 (approx 13.5 million US $).

Also not factored into those numbers for Q4 2019 are build templates. Which are far more likely to see use in a more dedicated crowd who have actual need of multiple build and equipment slots (and going by the threads on who actually uses build templates on the forums, this assumptions holds true). While they might not have sold as well as hoped/expected, they certainly will have affected Q4 of 2019. One dare not even think about what that quarters result would have been without.

@"Raknar.4735" said:Raids not having difficulty tiers is one of the reasons. Raids being called "Raids" is another one.

Here I will make it simpler: if Raids being called "Raids" is a problem, how would adding multiple tiers of difficulty "fix it". The same players that don't try Raids because they are called "Raids" won't suddenly try them if there are multiple difficulty tiers because the perception is still there.Furthermore, the content that DOES have difficulty tiers has LESS development than the content without it. Is having agony as an unseen and unused mechanic such an important factor to drive players that exceeds Raids being called "Raids" and Raids not having difficulty tiers? You are putting way too much emphasis on Fractal mechanics driving players away.

I've reread your post, but there's nothing about a timeframe of only OW content. I can see the separation of the different gamemodes, but not the time where we have gotten "exclusively open world content for about 6 to 14 months (based on what you might call "content")".

Original post:

Well they hadn't done anything for sPVP from August 2019 to February 2020, 6 months, funny how the previous update regarding sPVP was in November 2018, 9 months, given that on August 2019 we got a single 2v2 map (and some new weapon skins), it's almost like 15 months so Raids have some time until they reach that point.Between March 2019 and February 2020 WVW got nothing, 11 months or so. And in those two months we got the Warclaw and then a Warclaw skin and a new armor set.The last Fractal was released on January 2019, that's 17 months without a fractal.

So from August 2019 to February 2020 we didn't get any development on PVP, WVW, Fractals or Raids. (6 months)Back in August we got a single 2vs2 PVP mapPrevious non-OW content was on June 2019 (Raid) or 8 months agoIf you want to count for WVW, Warclaw was on March 2019 (11 months)Strike Missions is an entirely new "game mode" added to the game replacing both Fractals and Raids.

Where have I implied that I only want OW content? I don't consider things like E-speccs, Mounts and similiar stuff OW content, but if you do, fine.

Mounts are OW content, E-specs are also OW content, are they acquired inside Fractals, Raids or PVP? The last ones didn't at least, maybe they will tie e-specs to other types of content but I really really doubt it.

Those things for the minority also didn't pay off and gave us the worst quarter since GW2 released.

What thing for the minority? You mean the minority that was already using a much better and feature rich build system that was replaced by a predatory over-priced system? Build templates wasn't aimed at the minority, that "minority" was fine with the tools they already had. Q4 was the worst quarter in GW2 history, it didn't have ANY PVP, ANY WVW, ANY Fractal and ANY Raid content. It's adorable to blame the "minority" that got nothing for their content as "not paying off" but the reality is that "minority" got nothing in Q4 2019, and you still blame it! All while the "majority" got 2 easy mode Living World episodes in Q4 2019. That was the content driving GW2 in its worst quarter.

I really hope they don't spend too much time on those systems that only benefit those small communities that don't increase revenue.

We'll see what the next Road Map will be like, but I believe it will be another inclusive one.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:Those things for the minority also didn't pay off and gave us the worst quarter since GW2 released. I really hope they don't spend too much time on those systems that only benefit those small communities that don't increase revenue.

Can you please reference the financial quarter you are referring to? Because last I checked, the steep decline of the revenue came pretty much during and after a period where nothing but open world content was released for over 1.5 years and nothing besides open world content was promised for the future (this includes lack of an expansion announcement, which just tanked revenue instead of continuing the steady decline).

Last fractal release is 1.5 years ago: Siren's Reef (slowing release cadence down to 1 fractal per year, now even slower than that)Last raid wing was released 1 year ago: Key of Ahdashim (same as fractals, slowing release cadence down to 1 raid per year)

We have since seen a continued decline, both in total earnings as well as YoY in earnings with a short recovery rise for Q1 2020, 12.530 billion KRW (approx 10.4 million US $), up by ~10.5% from 11.3 billion KRW (approx 9.38 million US $) in Q4 2019. Down by ~23.4% YoY from 16.3 billion KRW in Q1 2019 (approx 13.5 million US $).

Also not factored into those numbers for Q4 2019 are build templates. Which are far more likely to see use in a more dedicated crowd who have actual need of multiple build and equipment slots (and going by the threads on who actually uses build templates on the forums, this assumptions holds true). While they might not have sold as well as hoped/expected, they certainly will have affected Q4 of 2019. One dare not even think about what that quarters result would have been without.

Yeah, I'm talking about Q4 2019, where Anet intended Build templates to be the big money maker. Systems targeted at a small percentage of the playerbase just don't do well.Could you show me that "nothing but open world content was released for over 1.5 years" timeframe? I've still yet to see that timeframe.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:Raids not having difficulty tiers is one of the reasons. Raids being called "Raids" is another one.

Here I will make it simpler: if Raids being called "Raids" is a problem, how would adding multiple tiers of difficulty "fix it". The same players that don't try Raids because they are called "Raids" won't suddenly try them if there are multiple difficulty tiers because the perception is still there.Furthermore, the content that DOES have difficulty tiers has LESS development than the content without it. Is having agony as an unseen and unused mechanic such an important factor to drive players that exceeds Raids being called "Raids" and Raids not having difficulty tiers? You are putting way too much emphasis on Fractal mechanics driving players away.

You just don't get it. I won't even bother anymore. If you can't see how there can be multiple factors, and how people have different factors that can make them stay away, I don't know how to help. I give up.

Original post:

Well they hadn't done anything for sPVP from August 2019 to February 2020, 6 months, funny how the previous update regarding sPVP was in November 2018, 9 months, given that on August 2019 we got a single 2v2 map (and some new weapon skins), it's almost like 15 months so Raids have some time until they reach that point.Between March 2019 and February 2020 WVW got nothing, 11 months or so. And in those two months we got the Warclaw and then a Warclaw skin and a new armor set.The last Fractal was released on January 2019, that's 17 months without a fractal.

So from August 2019 to February 2020 we didn't get any development on PVP, WVW, Fractals or Raids. (6 months)Back in August we got a single 2vs2 PVP mapPrevious non-OW content was on June 2019 (Raid) or 8 months agoIf you want to count for WVW, Warclaw was on March 2019 (11 months)Strike Missions is an entirely new "game mode" added to the game replacing both Fractals and Raids.

...June 2019 Ahdashim, non OW contentJune 2019 Dragon Bash, non OW content. FestivalAugust 2019 Auric Span + Mist Lord Weps, non OW content.September had 2019 had a SM, non OW content.October 2019 Haloween, non OW content. FestivalOctober 2019 Build templatesNobember 2019 three new SMs, non OW content...Where is the timeframe of only OW content? Where? Tell me, back up your claim. Where is that timeframe?

Mounts are OW content, E-specs are also OW content, are they acquired inside Fractals, Raids or PVP? The last ones didn't at least, maybe they will tie e-specs to other types of content but I really really doubt it.

Lol. Sorry, but just no. Your logic would also make them WvW content, since you can get them there. I mean, they're not required in OW either.

Those things for the minority also didn't pay off and gave us the worst quarter since GW2 released.

What thing for the minority? You mean the minority that was already using a much better and feature rich build system that was replaced by a predatory over-priced system? Build templates wasn't aimed at the minority, that "minority" was fine with the tools they already had. Q4 was the worst quarter in GW2 history, it didn't have ANY PVP, ANY WVW, ANY Fractal and ANY Raid content. It's adorable to blame the "minority" that got nothing for their content as "not paying off" but the reality is that "minority" got nothing in Q4 2019, and you still blame it! All while the "majority" got 2 easy mode Living World episodes in Q4 2019. That was the content driving GW2 in its worst quarter.

Build templates were definately aimed at the minority. Arc doesn't change that. Q4 was the worst quarter, the big money maker didn't make money because it was aimed at a playergroup that don't seem to drive revenue. SMs still aren't OW.

I really hope they don't spend too much time on those systems that only benefit those small communities that don't increase revenue.

We'll see what the next Road Map will be like, but I believe it will be another inclusive one.

Hyped for the next road map. Bet there will be no raids. Probably Fractal / Festival / LS / maybe Legendary templates?

@Raknar.4735 said:Yeah, I'm talking about Q4 2019, where Anet intended Build templates to be the big money maker. Systems targeted at a small percentage of the playerbase just don't do well.

Thats because the system is bad, not because it may or may not be targeted to a small percentage of players.Anet took away a working and free option so they could sell a template system (its not even templates) that to this day is a broken mess. My skills on renegade constantly swap places and this week i couldnt really play the game because i couldnt swap any traits on any of my classes. The entire system is broken and overly complicated. Thats why its not the big money makes.

@RaidsAreEasyAF.8652 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:Yeah, I'm talking about Q4 2019, where Anet intended Build templates to be the big money maker. Systems targeted at a small percentage of the playerbase just don't do well.

Thats because the system is bad, not because it may or may not be targeted to a small percentage of players.Anet took away a
working
and free option so they could sell a template system (its not even templates) that to this day is a broken mess. My skills on renegade constantly swap places and this week i couldnt really play the game because i couldnt swap any traits on any of my classes. The entire system is broken and overly complicated. Thats why its not the big money makes.

I don't disagree. In fact, I agree completely aside from the "not because..". The system is one, if not the worst system Anet has every created. Especially for revenants.It was still primarily intended for players that switch builds regularly and intended to be their big "new and exciting" feature for Q4. The system being bad and simultanously developed for a small percentage of players are both reasons why it didn't sell well.

I've used Arc myself in the past, and also use the new system. Arc never crashed me only because I had a renegade build. But that still doesn't change the fact that it was intended to replace Arc.

@"Raknar.4735" said:It was still primarily intended for players that switch builds regularly and intended to be their big "new and exciting" feature for Q4. The system being bad and simultanously developed for a small percentage of players are both reasons why it didn't sell well.

If its for players that often switch builds, why am i limited to only 6 equipment slots? I highly doubt anyone even knew what to do with this. I can imagine this being one of the reasons why its such a mess.Not talking about traits (they also have issues), because swapping them is super easy and was never annoying to me. I didnt need it with arc, it was just nice to have.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:Raids not having difficulty tiers is one of the reasons. Raids being called "Raids" is another one.

You just don't get it. I won't even bother anymore. If you can't see how there can be multiple factors, and how people have different factors that can make them stay away, I don't know how to help. I give up.

Original post:

...June 2019 Ahdashim, non OW contentJune 2019 Dragon Bash, non OW content. FestivalAugust 2019 Auric Span + Mist Lord Weps, non OW content.September had 2019 had a SM, non OW content.October 2019 Haloween, non OW content. FestivalOctober 2019 Build templatesNobember 2019 three new SMs, non OW content...Where is the timeframe of only OW content? Where? Tell me, back up your claim. Where is that timeframe?

Okay, let me rephrase:No content targeted at any of the more dedicated players be it WvW, sPvp or raids/fractals was released. All of which have not seen content any new content in 1-1.5 years, with no new content in sight except for maybe fractals, which if the next one comes out within the next 6 months, would have the release time barely below 2 years. Strike missions are clearly targeted at the weaker player base given their easy difficulty for adept players and as such again not aimed at the niche pve group.

Festivals and cosmetics are in my eyes open world content. At the least festivals, given how they have no in any way challenging instanced content with only minor spvp "game modes" and no WvW content.

Turns out, if dedicated players from niche game modes are not serviced, the games revenue drops. At least that's what the timeline suggests.

So you can pretend you understand something else when people mention that there was "only open world content" released. What you can not argue against though is that there was no content for these niche groups, and revenue has been in steady decline since.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:Where have I implied that I only want OW content? I don't consider things like E-speccs, Mounts and similiar stuff OW content, but if you do, fine.

Lol. Sorry, but just no. Your logic would also make them WvW content, since you can get them there. I mean, they're not required in OW either.

Build templates were definately aimed at the minority. Arc doesn't change that. Q4 was the worst quarter, the big money maker didn't make money because it was aimed at a playergroup that don't seem to drive revenue. SMs still aren't OW.

Actually no, build templates were aimed at the entire player base given how they were implemented. If they had been implemented for the minority, the design decisions are insanely bad.

It's why build templates failed as bad as they did:They were aimed at the entire player base, but are only of use to the minority, which in turn refused to spend as much money for the current system, while many of the more casual players simply have no need for them. It's also why they are reworking the system and potentially updating it with the legendary armory. To increase the value to the minority to get them to spend money on this or are you going to tell me this legendary armory is aimed at players with no legendaries?

Once again proving that monetization and revenue has to come out of the niche groups and when they refuse to cough up the money, the financial stream suffers.

No reason to worry though, as time moves on and more and more players from those niche groups leave, of those who have not yet left, the effect will be more evident. Let's hope the game sustains its self with only a casual crowd, because if not....

@RaidsAreEasyAF.8652 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:It was still primarily intended for players that switch builds regularly and intended to be their big "new and exciting" feature for Q4. The system being bad and simultanously developed for a small percentage of players are both reasons why it didn't sell well.

If its for players that often switch builds, why am i limited to only 6 equipment slots? I highly doubt anyone even knew what to do with this. I can imagine this being one of the reasons why its such a mess.Not talking about traits (they also have issues), because swapping them is super easy and was never annoying to me. I didnt need it with arc, it was just nice to have.

Can't give you an official answer there, since Anet didn't say anything about that.My guess? Because Anet didn't think it through enough.Maybe they are capped because of their Database, similiar to how we can only have a certain amount of bag/bank tabs until we're capped. But we won't know until Anet talks about that limitation.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:Raids not having difficulty tiers is one of the reasons. Raids being called "Raids" is another one.

Original post:

Okay, let me rephrase:
No content targeted at any of the more dedicated players be it WvW, sPvp or raids/fractals was released.
All of which have not seen content any new content in 1-1.5 years, with no new content in sight except for maybe fractals, which if the next one comes out within the next 6 months, would have the release time barely below 2 years. Strike missions are clearly targeted at the weaker player base given their easy difficulty for adept players and as such again not aimed at the niche pve group.

Festivals and cosmetics are in my eyes open world content. At the least festivals, given how they have no in any way challenging instanced content with only minor spvp "game modes" and no WvW content.

Turns out, if dedicated players from niche game modes are not serviced, the games revenue drops. At least that's what the timeline suggests.

So you can pretend you understand something else when people mention that there was "only open world content" released. What you can not argue against though is that there was no content for these niche groups, and revenue has been in steady decline since.

Idk, for me it seems like you're doing a whole lot of pretending. Pretending that certain content is open world when it clearly is not.I'm still not seeing the 1-1.5 years gap, even if you rephrase it as No content targeted at any of the more dedicated players be it WvW, sPvp or raids/fractals was released.

I mean, I could easily say we haven't gotten content targeted at any of the more dedicated OW players, since Triple Trouble was the last release, but that's just painting the world how you want to see it. Completely subjective metrics.

SMs are targeted to bridge players into raids, so clearly not at the weaker playerbase. Maybe at the average one. They are not open world content. They are still niche content.

Didn't know cosmetics are open world. So any new Sets in PvP or WvW are OW? Wow.Festivals combine multiple types of content, they aren't OW. They may be in your eyes, but that would just be you pretending.

Turns out revenue drops when you try to release a system that is only targeted at a niche as the big money maker.

@Raknar.4735 said:Where have I implied that I only want OW content? I don't consider things like E-speccs, Mounts and similiar stuff OW content, but if you do, fine.

Actually no, build templates were aimed at the entire player base given how they were implemented. If they had been implemented for the minority, the design decisions are insanely bad.

It's why build templates failed as bad as they did:They were aimed at the entire player base, but are only of use to the minority, which in turn refused to spend as much money for the current system, while many of the more casual players simply have no need for them. It's also why they are reworking the system and potentially updating it with the legendary armory. To increase the value to the minority to get them to spend money on this.

Na, they were implemented to replace Arc. The majority didn't even use Arc. They probably don't even use the templates and run around with the same build. You can pretend it wasn't aimed at the minority all you want. Same thing for the legendary armory, still only targeted to be used by the minority.

@Raknar.4735 said:

Original post:

Okay, let me rephrase:
No content targeted at any of the more dedicated players be it WvW, sPvp or raids/fractals was released.
All of which have not seen content any new content in 1-1.5 years, with no new content in sight except for maybe fractals, which if the next one comes out within the next 6 months, would have the release time barely below 2 years. Strike missions are clearly targeted at the weaker player base given their easy difficulty for adept players and as such again not aimed at the niche pve group.

Idk, for me it seems like you're doing a whole lot of pretending. Pretending that certain content is open world when it clearly is not.I'm still not seeing the 1-1.5 years gap, even if you rephrase it as
SMs are targeted to bridge players into raids, so clearly not at the weaker playerbase. Maybe at the average one. They are not open world content. They are still niche content.

Didn't know cosmetics are open world. So any new Sets in PvP or WvW are OW? Wow.Festivals combine multiple types of content, they aren't OW. They may be in your eyes, but that would just be you pretending.

Turns out revenue drops when you try to release a system that is only targeted at a niche as the big money maker.

You can do as many mental gymnastics as you want. Fact remains: dedicated players of WvW, Spvp and pve challenging content have not seen content releases and are also not likely to see any.

The fact you count Strike Missions as not for weaker players shows how out of touch you are with players from those niche modes (at least for pve). Pretty much every more dedicated raider I know laughs at strikes. Most have left the game by now too.

As for the remainder, fine, let's not count it as content for any player group. Still does not change the fact that niche players have not seen any content as mentioned by me in 1-1.5 years with none on the horizon. So many just move on to another game, and with them their money.

@Raknar.4735 said:

It's why build templates failed as bad as they did:They were aimed at the entire player base, but are only of use to the minority, which in turn refused to spend as much money for the current system, while many of the more casual players simply have no need for them. It's also why they are reworking the system and potentially updating it with the legendary armory. To increase the value to the minority to get them to spend money on this.

Na, they were implemented to replace Arc. The majority didn't even use Arc. They probably don't even use the templates and run around with the same build. You can pretend it wasn't aimed at the minority all you want. Same thing for the legendary armory, still only targeted to be used by the minority.

Well then the developers failed miserably. The fact they are trying to "fix" the system with legendary armory though shows that they have hope to generate revenue from these niche groups. Why else would they even bother?

Simple, because that's where the money is.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Original post:

Okay, let me rephrase:

Idk, for me it seems like you're doing a whole lot of pretending. Pretending that certain content is open world when it clearly is not.I'm still not seeing the 1-1.5 years gap, even if you rephrase it as

You can do as mental gymnastics as you want. Fact remains: dedicated players of WvW, Spvp and pve challenging content have not seen content releases and are also not likely to see any.

The fact you count Strike Missions as not for weaker players shows how out of touch you are with players from those niche modes. Pretty much every more dedicated raider I know laughs at strikes.

As for the remainder, fine, let's not count it as content for any player group. still does not change the fact that niche players have not seen any content as mentioned by me in 1-1.5 years with none on the horizon.

Yeah, I can do as many mental gymnastics as I want, you'd still beat me to the medal. Pretending that content doesn't exist because of your subjective metrics doesn't make it true.You didn't define weaker players. Weaker than raiders in raid content? Obviously. That's what they're there for. To bridge content, to get players to play raids. So yeah, they are intended for players that aren't dedicated raiders, or do you think you can use gamemodes that are harder than raids, to get people into raiding? They would just laugh at raids!

Ah yes, you can not count content all you want, but it will still not disappear. The content still exists. You can pretend all you want, but your 1-1.5 years still doesn't exist. And your new "none on the horizon" is also untrue, since a new fractal was already announced.

Well then the developers failed miserably. The fact they are trying to "fix" the system with legendary armory though shows that they have hope to generate revenue from these niche groups. Why else would they even bother?

Of course they failed, the designated group didn't buy it. Anets fault for trying to sell a system that was desired by a niche group, but didn't plan it out, so it ended up being bought by pretty much noone.

I'm pretty positive the legendary armory is something in preparation for Cantha, but that's just an opinion. If not, then good luck Anet.

Also, if we're using your logic here, and developing content depends on the current things being developed that could generate revenue, as in legendary armory, doesn't that mean that dedicated raiders didn't bring in in "the money"?After all, raids aren't really developed anymore. LS is still being developed though, so are SMs and Fractals. PvP and WvW also sometimes get balance patches, sets and mounts + skins here and there.Guess I'll agree with you and Anet then! Don't bother developing content like raids where you can't hope for revenue!

@Raknar.4735 said:

Original post:

Okay, let me rephrase:

You can do as mental gymnastics as you want. Fact remains: dedicated players of WvW, Spvp and pve challenging content have not seen content releases and are also not likely to see any.

The fact you count Strike Missions as not for weaker players shows how out of touch you are with players from those niche modes. Pretty much every more dedicated raider I know laughs at strikes.

As for the remainder, fine, let's not count it as content for any player group. still does not change the fact that niche players have not seen any content as mentioned by me in 1-1.5 years with none on the horizon.

Yeah, I can do as many mental gymnastics as I want, you'd still beat me to the medal. Pretending that content doesn't exist because of your subjective metrics doesn't make it true.You didn't define weaker players. Weaker than raiders in raid content? Obviously. That's what they're there for. To bridge content, to get players to play raids. So yeah, they are intended for players that aren't dedicated raiders, or do you think you can use gamemodes that are harder than raids, to get people into raiding? They would just laugh at raids!

Ah yes, you can not count content all you want, but it will still not disappear. The content still exists. You can pretend all you want, but your 1-1.5 years still doesn't exist. And your new "none on the horizon" is also untrue, since a new fractal was already announced.

So we agree, the new fractal will release hopefully before the 2 year mark is reached.There are no new raids on the horizon and the last one is by now beyond 1 year ago with very slow releases over the 2 years before.Strikes are not aimed at hardcore pve players.

So overall there is no content for the niche hardcore pve crowd and none on the horizon. So yes, that crowd has moved on. Hence the decline in revenue.

@Raknar.4735 said:

Of course they failed, the designated group didn't buy it. Anets fault for trying to sell a system that was desired by a niche group, but didn't plan it out, so it ended up being bought by pretty much noone.

I'm pretty positive the legendary armory is something in preparation for Cantha, but that's just an opinion. If not, then good luck Anet.

Also, if we're using your logic here, and developing content depends on the current things being developed that could generate revenue, as in legendary armory, doesn't that mean that dedicated raiders didn't bring in in "the money"? After all, raids aren't really developed anymore. LS is still being developed though, so are SMs and Fractals. PvP and WvW also sometimes get balance patches, sets and mounts + skins here and there. Guess I'll agree with you then!

To be very accurate, NOTHING was being developed toward the end of season 4. There are official statements that clearly state that the devs did not know if there was going to be any content beyond season 4.

The moment where the decision was made to continue supporting GW2, raids and challenging instanced pve content were already hit with player decline due to a slow release cadence. Dropping raids after made sense when only having a skeleton crew.

Yes, Living Story is still being developed. Let's see for how long. My guess is: hopefully until the next expansion which again hopefully will bring a lot of hardcore players back. If not, there will never be a LW season 6. Don't worry though, you can come back and quote me on that when it happens.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Original post:

Okay, let me rephrase:

So we agree, the new fractal will release hopefully before the 2 year mark is reached.There are no new raids on the horizon and the last one is by now beyond 1 year ago with very slow releases over the 2 years before.Strikes are not aimed at hardcore pve players.

So overall there is no content for the niche hardcore pve crowd and none on the horizon. So yes, that crowd has moved on. Hence the decline in revenue.

But that goes against your reasoning from earlier! The content that gets developed is the one that brings revenue after all!

I mean it's pretty obvious why there's no new raids on the horizon. No revenue.Of course SMs aren't aimed at "hardcore" pve players, they are there as a bridge, like Anet stated.

I doubt the niche "hardcore" raid crowd was ever responsible for a lot of revenue, hence the decline of raids.

The true hardcore people that spent every dollar they have on the game? Maybe. But people that define themselves as "hardcore" because they raid? Doubt it.

Also, if we're using your logic here, and developing content depends on the current things being developed that could generate revenue, as in legendary armory, doesn't that mean that dedicated raiders didn't bring in in "the money"? After all, raids aren't really developed anymore. LS is still being developed though, so are SMs and Fractals. PvP and WvW also sometimes get balance patches, sets and mounts + skins here and there. Guess I'll agree with you then!

To be very accurate, NOTHING was being developed toward the end of season 4. There are official statements that clearly state that the devs did not know if there was going to be any content beyond season 4.

The moment where the decision was made to continue supporting GW2, raids and challenging instanced pve content were already hit with player decline due to a slow release cadence. Dropping raids after made sense when only having a skeleton crew.

Yes, Living Story is still being developed. Let's see for how long. My guess is: hopefully until the next expansion which again hopefully will bring a lot of hardcore players back. If not, there will never be a LW season 6. Don't worry though, you can come back and quote me on that when it happens.

Do you mean the official statements from JP? Heh. Can't call them official, if she isn't part of it anymore, can we?Slow release cadence was due to already low playersize and revenue, so it made sense to drop raids.

Thinking hardcore players are the reason for high revenues is laughable. It's not even true for most mobile games, where the whales beat the hardcore players by a lot when it comes to revenue. Also, can you truly be hardcore when you leave? That's pretty casual, just like being a 1day/week tourist is pretty casual.The game is 8 years old, if it breaks down, it won't be due to some players leaving that are full of themselves, calling themselves hardcore, when they're casuals at heart ;)

So, if it breaks down, should I tell people that GW2 died because of 1day/week tourists, or should I just tell them the truth? I mean, it probably still has a good 2-3 years of life expectancy with Cantha being developed, unless they just drop Cantha because NCSOFT has different plans with Anet. I also don't see any good MMORPG releases on the horizon, we're still stuck with the good ol' WoW, FFXIV, RS, ESO, GW2, BDO.

@Raknar.4735 said:

Original post:

Okay, let me rephrase:

But that goes against your reasoning from earlier! The content that gets developed is the one that brings revenue after all!

I mean it's pretty obvious why there's no new raids on the horizon. No revenue.

I explained what lead to the decline of raids.

@Raknar.4735 said:Of course SMs aren't aimed at "hardcore" pve players, they are there as a bridge, like Anet stated.

I doubt the niche "hardcore" raid crowd was ever responsible for a lot of revenue, hence the decline of raids.

Your doubt is not reflected in the revenue numbers. So far while while only providing non niche content has seen the games revenue on a constant decline (see, I specifically did not call it open world content).

@Raknar.4735 said:The true hardcore people that spent every dollar they have on the game? Maybe. But people that define themselves as "hardcore" because they raid? Doubt it.

No, there are hardcore players who do not raid. I do not question that. Question is, how big is the fraction of dedicated players that do raid or participate in niche content, who likely get bored on the "easy" stuff and when not provided continued content.

@Raknar.4735 said:

Do you mean the official statements from JP? Heh. Can't call them official, if she isn't part of it anymore, can we?

No, I am also referring to how season 4 was designed as a closure to the entire story. Unlike previous arcs, it had no teaser. It was designed as closure to the story line. Some time during Episode 3 or 4, the decision was made to continue. This was further facilitated when NCSoft stepped in and had the layoffs.

@Raknar.4735 said:Slow release cadence was due to already low playersize and revenue, so it made sense to drop raids.Thinking hardcore players are the reason for high revenues is laughable. It's not even true for most mobile games, where the whales beat the hardcore players by a lot when it comes to revenue. Also, can you truly be hardcore when you leave? That's pretty casual, just like being a 1day/week tourist is pretty casual.The game is 8 years old, if it breaks down, it won't be due to some players leaving that are full of themselves, calling themselves hardcore, when they're casuals at heart ;)So, if it breaks down, should I tell people that GW2 died because of 1day/week tourists, or should I just tell them the truth? I mean, it probably still has a good 2-3 years of life expectancy with Cantha being developed, unless they just drop Cantha because NCSOFT has different plans with Anet. I also don't see any good MMORPG releases on the horizon, we're still stuck with the good ol' WoW, FFXIV, RS, ESO, GW2, BDO.

Tell yourself what you want. When part of the dedicated crowd goes, so does the money. I honestly don't care how you rationalize it. The revenue numbers over the next few quarters will paint a very clear picture. Hey for all I care it be wonderful if the game sees a sharp increase in revenue by only providing Living World and easy content. It will allow me to return some times in the future. Personally I doubt it, but I am open to surprises.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Original post:

Okay, let me rephrase:

I mean it's pretty obvious why there's no new raids on the horizon. No revenue.

I explained what lead to the decline of raids.

Your explanation isn't a fact, just an opinion.

@Raknar.4735 said:Of course SMs aren't aimed at "hardcore" pve players, they are there as a bridge, like Anet stated.

Your doubt is not reflected in the revenue numbers. So far while while only providing non niche content has seen the games revenue on a constant decline (see, I specifically did not call it open world content).

Normal for a game to decline after time. I could mention the post HoT Quarter Q1 2016, where most releases had to do with raids. Providing niche content didn't work out there. So yes, my doubt is certainly reflected there, and that was pretty much the start of the decline for raids. Man that period hit GW2 hard.

@Raknar.4735 said:The true hardcore people that spent every dollar they have on the game? Maybe. But people that define themselves as "hardcore" because they raid? Doubt it.

No, there are hardcore players who do not raid. I do not question that. Question is, how big is the fraction of dedicated players that do raid or participate in niche content, who likely get bored on the "easy" stuff and when not provided continued content.

I wonder too, and I'd like to compare revenue to the dedicated players that don't raid or participate in niche content, that get bored when only niche stuff releases.

Do you mean the official statements from JP? Heh. Can't call them official, if she isn't part of it anymore, can we?

No, I am also referring to how season 4 was designed as a closure to the entire story. Unlike previous arcs, it had no teaser. It was designed as closure to the story line. Some time during Episode 3 or 4, the decision was made to continue. This was further facilitated when NCSoft stepped in and had the layoffs.

Yeah, you're referring to the JP statements, I'd like to have the link to those statements again btw, I've lost them.NCSoft stepped in because the other products that were developed next to GW2 didn't work out. But this has nothing to do with OW or LS content, unless you somehow pretend that other products are OW or LS content like festivals and all types of cosmetics.

@Raknar.4735 said:Slow release cadence was due to already low playersize and revenue, so it made sense to drop raids.Thinking hardcore players are the reason for high revenues is laughable. It's not even true for most mobile games, where the whales beat the hardcore players by a lot when it comes to revenue. Also, can you truly be hardcore when you leave? That's pretty casual, just like being a 1day/week tourist is pretty casual.The game is 8 years old, if it breaks down, it won't be due to some players leaving that are full of themselves, calling themselves hardcore, when they're casuals at heart ;)So, if it breaks down, should I tell people that GW2 died because of 1day/week tourists, or should I just tell them the truth? I mean, it probably still has a good 2-3 years of life expectancy with Cantha being developed, unless they just drop Cantha because NCSOFT has different plans with Anet. I also don't see any good MMORPG releases on the horizon, we're still stuck with the good ol' WoW, FFXIV, RS, ESO, GW2, BDO.

Tell yourself what you want. When part of the dedicated crowd goes, so does the money. I honestly don't care how you rationalize it. The revenue numbers over the next few quarters will paint a very clear picture. Hey for all I care it be wonderful if the game sees a sharp increase in revenue. It will allow me to return some times in the future. Personally I doubt it, but I am open to surprises.

Part of the dedicated raider crowd. I don't see a reason for the dedicated OW or LS crowd to leave. The only crowd I honestly feel sad for are the WvWers that had it the roughest of all groups. But hey, they can keep their content alive.

GL on your vacation then. I'll still stay here and enjoy any content that interests me, no matter the gamemode, since the one I don't actually enjoy anymore isn't developed further.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:You know what kills MMORPGs? A low playerbase when the game
only
caters to a small amount of players.

No one ever wanted them to only cater to a small audiance. People just wanted a bit more than 3 Bosses every 9 months.

Not sure about the first part. I‘ve seen plenty of people being vehemently against any type of suggestion that opens up raids to more people, just to save their petty exclusivity. Like I‘ve said earlier, they can now reap what they‘ve sown.Second part is natural, many people want more content they enjoy, no matter the content. Having more people play the content makes it more likely that it will get more developement time.

Ppl were against delaying raids further to make an easy mode, the exact thing we are seeing now.

What kills raids and fractals is the unhealthy cadense, in 4 months fractals will have gone 2 years without any adition.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:You know what kills MMORPGs? A low playerbase when the game
only
caters to a small amount of players.

No one ever wanted them to only cater to a small audiance. People just wanted a bit more than 3 Bosses every 9 months.

Not sure about the first part. I‘ve seen plenty of people being vehemently against any type of suggestion that opens up raids to more people, just to save their petty exclusivity. Like I‘ve said earlier, they can now reap what they‘ve sown.Second part is natural, many people want more content they enjoy, no matter the content. Having more people play the content makes it more likely that it will get more developement time.

Ppl were against delaying raids further to make an easy mode, the exact thing we are seeing now.

What kills raids and fractals is the unhealthy cadense, in 4 months fractals will have gone 2 years without any adition.

Trying to get a better harvest by planting more crops doesn't work when you're planting the seeds on contaminated soil. Grabbing the problem by the root and replacing the earth would have, but it's already harvest time.

@"Raknar.4735" said:You just don't get it. I won't even bother anymore. If you can't see how there can be multiple factors, and how people have different factors that can make them stay away, I don't know how to help. I give up.

The one that is about to give up here is me and the one that just won't get it is you. But I will try one last time. You claimed that a reason for the failure of Raids is because they don't have multiple difficulty tiers.I stated that content WITH multiple tiers (Fractals) has a much longer content drought than Raids, proving that difficulty tiers didn't really help with releases. That's a proven fact I hope it's not up for dispute. You then gave the argument that there are other things in Fractals that drive people away even though, as you yourself claimed, those things don't apply to the lower tiers of Fractals.

So let me ask you this, do you really believe that agony and the "other mechanics" of Fractals drive MORE players away from the game than the mechanics of Raids? And the mere fact that Raids were called "Raids" to begin with? Are you trying to convince me that agony drives players so far away that it surpasses the whole mechanics of Raids AND the fact that Raids do not have difficulty tiers? I'm sorry but that's impossible to justify. If you still believe that then good for you, but logic dictates otherwise.Both your latest claim is wrong, and your initial claim is wrong.

Where is the timeframe of only OW content? Where? Tell me, back up your claim. Where is that timeframe?

I already gave you the time frame and you can find it here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release

So E-Specs should only be used inside instances as they are not OW content. Got it. Anet should make sure you can't use E-Specs anymore while in the OW. Even though that would be weird since you can't unlock them outside OW (and a side of WVW)

The big money maker was the Icebrood Saga, not the build templates. This game still had many releases on the gem store in Q4 2019, as they did in Q3 2019 and before that. And besides that, if they wanted Build Templates to be a money maker and aimed at the minority, they should've given CONTENT for that minority to use those templates on. But all the non-OW content was in a massive drought when they released templates.

Hyped for the next road map. Bet there will be no raids. Probably Fractal / Festival / LS / maybe Legendary templates?

I wonder if it will be like the Icebrood saga "reveal", simple "more story and more OW maps" or it will be more inclusive like the previous one.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:You just don't get it. I won't even bother anymore. If you can't see how there can be multiple factors, and how people have different factors that can make them stay away, I don't know how to help. I give up.

The one that is about to give up here is me and the one that just won't get it is you. But I will try one last time. You claimed that a reason for the failure of Raids is because they don't have multiple difficulty tiers.I stated that content WITH multiple tiers (Fractals) has a much longer content drought than Raids, proving that difficulty tiers didn't really help with releases. That's a proven fact I hope it's not up for dispute. You then gave the argument that there are other things in Fractals that drive people away even though, as you yourself claimed, those things don't apply to the lower tiers of Fractals.

So let me ask you this, do you really believe that agony and the "other mechanics" of Fractals drive MORE players away from the game than the mechanics of Raids? And the mere fact that Raids were called "Raids" to begin with? Are you trying to convince me that agony drives players so far away that it surpasses the whole mechanics of Raids AND the fact that Raids do not have difficulty tiers? I'm sorry but that's impossible to justify. If you still believe that then good for you, but logic dictates otherwise.Both your latest claim is wrong, and your initial claim is wrong.

Yeah, I've given up on you. Sorry, I won't bother anymore. I'm not going to explain it again, it's just such a waste of time.

Where is the timeframe of only OW content? Where? Tell me, back up your claim. Where is that timeframe?

I already gave you the time frame and you can find it here:

Nice, that's the link i posted originally for you to show me the time frame, but you still haven't answered me once. Nice going. But it doesn't matter anymore. I've tried to get you to tell me the timeframe where OW content was released exclusively, but you're simply not doing it.I don't really care anymore, you've avoided giving a precise timeframe all this time.

So E-Specs should only be used inside instances as they are not OW content. Got it. Anet should make sure you can't use E-Specs anymore while in the OW. Even though that would be weird since you can't unlock them outside OW (and a side of WVW)

???You said they're not raid/fractals/pvp content. I've only said they're not required in OW content, because you said they're not required in raid/fractals/pvp.You're the one saying E-speccs are only OW content, which wasn't true going by your own logic, since WvW is also able to unlock it. And your logic for some reason means the e-speccs belong to the content that unlocks it, instead of every content that actively uses it.

I've never said they're not OW content, that was you putting words in my mouth. E-speccs are content for every game mode. But you don't seem to think so.

I don't even understand your logic here, it's so alien to me how E-speccs aren't raid/fractals/pvp content to you. But you do you. I don't think I will ever get you.

The big money maker was the Icebrood Saga, not the build templates. This game still had many releases on the gem store in Q4 2019, as they did in Q3 2019 and before that. And besides that, if they wanted Build Templates to be a money maker and aimed at the minority, they should've given CONTENT for that minority to use those templates on. But all the non-OW content was in a massive drought when they released templates.

Except the Icebrood Saga is free for everyone that logs on. And if you for some reason didn't get them for free, just compare the prices of the IBS and the build templates.Can't buy something you've already unlocked, so I doubt it will make a huge amount of money.

But yeah, sure. Keep believing what you do. OW players ruined your game. Fine. I'm over it and won't try correcting you anymore. The free episodes are the big money maker.

I wonder if it will be like the Icebrood saga "reveal", simple "more story and more OW maps" or it will be more inclusive like the previous one.

Well, we know for a fact that it won't be raids. I'll just wait and see what Anet does and how it turns out. I've been fine with most releases, since I play every gamemode aside from raids. I just hope Anet spends the money in the right place, so that GW2 can continue even after Cantha.

@"Raknar.4735" said:Yeah, I've given up on you. Sorry, I won't bother anymore. I'm not going to explain it again, it's just such a waste of time.

So you admit you were wrong after all this time? Good. There is nothing to explain -again-, your explanation was countered and battered already. But if you don't have anything to actually support your argument then it means your argument is flawed. And I will say it again, you are putting way too much emphasis on agony and fail to explain the reality of Fractals having less attention than Raids even though they do have multiple difficulty tiers. You inability to answer my simple question of whether agony (and "other" fractal mechanics) leads more players away than Raid mechanics is pretty telling of your lost cause.

Nice, that's the link i posted originally for you to show me the time frame, but you still haven't answered me once.

The answer is in the link and the quote you put in your previous post, it answers your question you can go re-read it if you like. Otherwise @"Cyninja.2954" pretty much covered it.

Here you go again:

I hope you won't need to quote it again.

You said they're not raid/fractals/pvp content.

Exactly because they aren't?

Except the Icebrood Saga is free for everyone that logs on. And if you for some reason didn't get them for free, just compare the prices of the IBS and the build templates.Can't buy something you've already unlocked, so I doubt it will make a huge amount of money.

So how did Guild Wars 2 make money after the release of Path of Fire? Everything content wise after Path of Fire has been free, the game supports itself using the gem store, and to have people buying things from the gem store they need people to be playing the game. And people play the game, and then visit the gem store, if they like what the game offers as content. If said content isn't good enough (like what we got in Q4 2019) then it leads to players leaving, leading to less income from the gem store.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:Yeah, I've given up on you. Sorry, I won't bother anymore. I'm not going to explain it again, it's just such a waste of time.

So you admit you were wrong after all this time? Good. There is nothing to explain -again-, your explanation was countered and battered already. But if you don't have anything to actually support your argument then it means your argument is flawed. And I will say it again, you are putting way too much emphasis on agony and fail to explain the reality of Fractals having less attention than Raids even though they do have multiple difficulty tiers. You inability to answer my simple question of whether agony (and "other" fractal mechanics) leads more players away than Raid mechanics is pretty telling of your lost cause.

I've answered your simple question, but you didn't bother to listen. I won't explain it again to someone that doesn't listen. But yeah, w/e you won. I admit defeat, I can't explain it to you. You've bested me.

Nice, that's the link i posted originally for you to show me the time frame, but you still haven't answered me once.

The answer is in the link and the quote you put in your previous post, it answers your question you can go re-read it if you like. Otherwise @"Cyninja.2954" pretty much covered it.

Here you go again:

Again, still not the timeframe for "only exclusive OW content" you mentioned at the start. SMs seem to be OW content for you. But w/e. I understand, everything you don't like is just OW content.

I hope you won't need to quote it again.

You said they're not raid/fractals/pvp content.

Exactly because they aren't?

Heh.Good, you win, elite speccs are OW-only content, sure. If you say so. Hope they don't release any with Cantha then, OW content only drives the game's revenue down, after all. No one needs them, they're just OW stuff.

So how did Guild Wars 2 make money after the release of Path of Fire? Everything content wise after Path of Fire has been free, the game supports itself using the gem store, and to have people buying things from the gem store they need people to be playing the game. And people play the game, and then visit the gem store, if they like what the game offers as content. If said content isn't good enough (like what we got in Q4 2019) then it leads to players leaving, leading to less income from the gem store.

Kay, there's actually only free content in GW2 after PoF, got it. You're right. OW literally killed GW2. It's so dead I can't even log in anymore. It died in Q4 2019 because nobody cares about the OW content.

Are we done yet?

@"Raknar.4735" said:I've answered your simple question, but you didn't bother to listen. I won't explain it again to someone that doesn't listen. But yeah, w/e you won. I admit defeat, I can't explain it to you. You've bested me.

You didn't answer my question, yet. It's not that you cannot explain it to me, because there is nothing to explain. But your admission of defeat does mean you finally are willing to see how content with difficulty tiers had less development than content without them. Better late than never.

Again, still not the timeframe for "only exclusive OW content" you mentioned at the start. SMs seem to be OW content for you. But w/e. I understand, everything you don't like is just OW content.

You should re-read that quote if you believe that. It's close to the end of the quote.

Kay, there's actually only free content in GW2 after PoF, got it.

Wait... you dispute this? Which content released after PoF did we have to buy? And if you say anything like "gem store skins and outfits" (because I think you say those are content right?) I should remind you that we got plenty of those in Q4 2019, yet you ignored them and said the only "money maker was build templates".

And please spare me the doom and gloom. It's not about killing the game, it's about seeing a (a rather visible) drop in revenue and then proceeding to make direction changes in the quarter after it. And the director leaving silently during that same quarter. Do note that the amount of revenue the game lost in Q4 2019 is still less than the revenue the game ended up with (lost 4k, ended up with 11k). I'm not gonna say that OW will ever kill GW2, or that it's bad for the game, it's the most widely known and played part of the game. I simply stated in my original post the huge time frames that the rest of the content in the game spent completely neglected by the developers and -ESPECIALLY- in Q4 2019 (and most of Q3 2019). The drop might've been for completely different reasons, but I can speculate given what we have that the neglect did play a role, otherwise, if everything was going well content-wise, they wouldn't have such a road map.

But we'll know when we get the next road map.