Why do I often "miss" on the bombers, Drizzlewood Coast

During the bombing event, I often get a "miss" show up. These are on bombing helos that I have highlighted and are in range. I see the missile shoot right past them without hitting, often around the back of them.

I thought the missiles were heat-seeking, so any missile coming in from behind will hit. Do I need to stat more precision? I can't see any clear distinction between what I am doing to get a hit, and what I am doing to get a miss. On the misses, the helos are in range the entire time.

If you have a target selected they are homing ... to a degree. Manual aiming can be a bit more reliable but you'll need to lead the target and switching to action camera is a good idea. They also have a range limit but if you can select them then they should be close enough.

Just a wild guess, I think because of the speed and homing property of the rocket, you have what you described:

I see the missile shoot right past them without hitting, often around the back of them.At this point, there is an object/obstruction between you and your rocket. Your rocket will now miss supposedly because you don’t have LoS (line of sight) with it.

(The choppers, at least in the Cold War strike, are solids - you can place AoEs on them)

There is some correlation in that you tend to miss choppers flying towards you, but then rarely miss when they are flying away from you. This might not be true though, I haven’t seen what happens if the rocket wraps around a cliff (and gets LoS by the cliff).