Dragonhunter pull is almost an exploit!

frareanselm.1925

When I play WVW this crazy thing happened multiple times, I was on the top of a tower defending as a ranger, and a dragonhunter who was on the floor pulls me out of the tower to the floor. Cmon this has zero logic, how can a chain have so OP range that can reach to the top of a tower???This is has no sense, in real life a tower may have at least 12 meters!I hope anet understand hgow OP this is that looks like science fiction. At least the range should be shorter!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"frareanselm.1925" said:When I play WVW this crazy thing happened multiple times, I was on the top of a tower defending as a ranger, and a dragonhunter who was on the floor pulls me out of the tower to the floor. Cmon this has zero logic, how can a chain have so OP range that can reach to the top of a tower???This is has no sense, in real life a tower may have at least 12 meters!I hope anet understand hgow OP this is that looks like science fiction. At least the range should be shorter!

1. If you are getting pulled from a wall you are not positioning yourself properly. Learn to effectively use line of sight, dodge, bait the opponent into blowing their cooldown.
  2. Standing on a wall pewpewing with a longbow is making a meme of yourself. You can tell yourself you are "defending" but you are really having next to zero impact on your team's success. Stop kidding yourself about your contribution to your team and learn to roam.

GW2 is not real life, so I hope you understand that it makes no sense to try to compare the skills and abilities in-game to what exist in real life. What could exist "in real life" is not a good foundation for trying to nerf the range of a skill.

When I play my ranger, it certainly makes no sense either that I have a never-ending supply of arrows drawn from thin air that can pierce through multiple people and travel further than a bullet. Magical arrows? I certainly hope they don't implement a limited count/ammo system on our longbows to conform to real life :)

For a better tower defense experience, I strongly encourage you to try to have stability before you walk up to the edge of a tower or cliff--otherwise you put yourself at risk of being pulled/pushed to your death. At the very least, scan those below you to determine if any of them pose a risk of pulling you down (thief scorpion wire, DH spear of justice, necro grasping darkness, engineer magnet pull, mesmer, etc.).

well, I was standing on the other side of a keep wall, halfway up the stairs, and I got pulled up the wall, across the wall, and down the other side. :astonished: Not a complaint, just an observation :wink:

And yes, point taken about unlimited arrows. just be thankful; I've played games where you had to buy arrows, and repair weapons, etc.

@frareanselm.1925 said:When I play WVW this crazy thing happened multiple times, I was on the top of a tower defending as a ranger, and a dragonhunter who was on the floor pulls me out of the tower to the floor. Cmon this has zero logic, how can a chain have so OP range that can reach to the top of a tower???This is has no sense, in real life a tower may have at least 12 meters!I hope anet understand hgow OP this is that looks like science fiction. At least the range should be shorter!So throwing a spear with an ultralight titanium chain attached to it for 12m is less realistic than a guy with a bow casting magic, being abble to make himself invisible and commanding animals that are casting magic too?

Btw.: an exploit is the usage of game mechanics in an (by the dev) unintended way. Quite the opposite of what you think it is. That skill is made to pull you off that tower.

Spear of Justice has 1200 unit range (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spear_of_Justice)

That's 1200 units whether you are standing on the top of a tower, keep, hill, etc. Also can't help giggle abit at the irony of a longbow tower ranger complaining about an ability having too long a range. Good thing players aren't reporting rangers for hitting people with longbow beyond 1500 units heheh

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Spear of Justice has 1200 unit range (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spear_of_Justice)

That's 1200 units whether you are standing on the top of a tower, keep, hill, etc. Also can't help giggle abit at the irony of a longbow tower ranger complaining about an ability having too long a range. Good thing players aren't reporting rangers for hitting people with longbow beyond 1500 units heheh

A Ranger by definition has to have the longest range in the game. A guardian, with heavy armor, tons of blocks and heals, shouldnt have that long range.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@frareanselm.1925 said:When I play WVW this crazy thing happened multiple times, I was on the top of a tower defending as a ranger, and a dragonhunter who was on the floor pulls me out of the tower to the floor. Cmon this has zero logic, how can a chain have so OP range that can reach to the top of a tower???This is has no sense, in real life a tower may have at least 12 meters!I hope anet understand hgow OP this is that looks like science fiction. At least the range should be shorter!So throwing a spear with an ultralight titanium chain attached to it for 12m is less realistic than a guy with a bow casting magic, being abble to make himself invisible and commanding animals that are casting magic too?

Btw.: an exploit is the usage of game mechanics in an (by the dev) unintended way. Quite the opposite of what you think it is. That skill is made to pull you off that tower.

I doubt this is intended to pull a player off a tower. Devs didnt imagined that this skill would be misused in wvw.As a ranger with my longbow skill n4 I cannot throw a npc guard off of a tower, I remember in beta 2012 I could throw them and then was fixed.All attacks that trespassed walls have been fixed except the DH pull because doesnt trespass literally, but the range is absolutely not justificable, and overpowered.

@frareanselm.1925 said:

I doubt this is intended to pull a player off a tower. Devs didnt imagined that this skill would be misused in wvw.As a ranger with my longbow skill n4 I cannot throw a npc guard off of a tower, I remember in beta 2012 I could throw them and then was fixed.All attacks that trespassed walls have been fixed except the DH pull because doesnt trespass literally, but the range is absolutely not justificable, and overpowered.

1.) Why do you consider this skill misused? Does your view of a pull skill being "misused in wvw" extend to every other pull skill in the game?2.) No NPC can be pushed or yanked off a ledge, but you are not a NPC. You can freely knock other player off a tower with your longbow 4.3.) What do you mean by attacks that trespass walls? As you mentioned, you were not pulled through the wall but off the wall.

4.) Why do you feel the range is not justifiable and is overpowered? On the contrary, 1200 seems quite standard for active pulls (Thief's Scorpion Wire, Ranger's Iboga pet, Engi's Magnet, etc.)>

@frareanselm.1925 said:

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Spear of Justice has 1200 unit range (
)

A Ranger by definition has to have the longest range in the game. A guardian, with heavy armor, tons of blocks and heals, shouldnt have that long range.

A base guardian does not have access to that long range pull--only the Dragonhunter specialization.

Keep in mind that the Dragonhunter specialization toolkit has elements quite similar to the archetype of Rangers--they gained access to Longbow as a weapon, Traps as utility skills, and a throwable spear. It makes sense for them to have access to range (plus the DH range is still lower than the range available to Rangers).

@kuteykathy.8123 said:

1.) Why do you consider this skill misused? Does your view of a pull skill being "misused in wvw" extend to every other pull skill in the game?2.) No NPC can be pushed or yanked off a ledge, but you are not a NPC. You can freely knock other player off a tower with your longbow 4.3.) What do you mean by attacks that trespass walls? As you mentioned, you were not pulled through the wall but off the wall.

4.) Why do you feel the range is not justifiable and is overpowered? On the contrary, 1200 seems quite standard for active pulls (Thief's Scorpion Wire, Ranger's Iboga pet, Engi's Magnet, etc.)>

)

A base guardian does not have access to that long range pull--only the Dragonhunter specialization.

Keep in mind that the Dragonhunter specialization toolkit has elements quite similar to the archetype of Rangers--they gained access to Longbow as a weapon, Traps as utility skills, and a throwable spear. It makes sense for them to have access to range (plus the DH range is still lower than the range available to Rangers).

What's wrong with these pulls is that they IGNORE angle and heigh. And what i mean by that is: me as a ranger when I try to shot an arrow, if I'm not in the edge of the wall always appear the text in red: "obstructed" "obstructed" "obstructed". Also a little irregularity in the terrain that cuts the trajectory of an arrow "obstructed".But these pulls ignore all angles and perspectives without problems, theyre magic.

@frareanselm.1925 said:

)

What's wrong with these pulls is that they IGNORE angle and heigh. And what i mean by that is: me as a ranger when I try to shot an arrow, if I'm not in the edge of the wall always appear the text in red: "obstructed" "obstructed" "obstructed". Also a little irregularity in the terrain that cuts the trajectory of an arrow "obstructed".But these pulls ignore all angles and perspectives without problems, theyre magic.

Oh don't you even complain about the obstructed thing. Guardians ranged weapons have been the worst in the entire game. Go actually play guardian or find a friend who plays one and ask him to just try and auto attack you with any of the ranged weapons. Literally walk from side to side and EVERY shot misses. Guardians have the worst tracking of any ranged weapon. Hell i've seen Rangers arrows curve to hit targets before and not just a small curve, literally make 60 degree turns to hit someone and this is while playing one....

As far as the spear thing, its your fault for standing up on a ledge where you can get pulled off. Anything that has a pull affect can pull you off of the wall, not just the spear. They fix that and you are going to cry about the next thing. Accept the fact that this is how ALL skills of this type work and that you need to be more aware of your surrounding instead of sudo afking while you play....

@frareanselm.1925 said:

)

Your lack of skill at playing at Ranger doesn't make Guardian OP. Stop standing on top of a tower like a turret, get into the game and learn your profession. Incidentally, when I'm on my DH, I specifically look for Tower Rangers (and Staff Eles) to pull them down, and invite them to actually get into the fight.

I'd also invite you to use the wiki, and look up boons like Stability, Protection and Vigor, and identify which Ranger abilities grant them, and how to maintain uptime in game - it will come in handy the next time you want to talk about a Guardian's "heavy armor, blocks and heals" lol.

Until then though, on behalf of others who play DH in WvW, I want to thank you for the salt-flavoured bags.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Spear of Justice has 1200 unit range (
)

Your lack of skill at playing at Ranger doesn't make Guardian OP. Stop standing on top of a tower like a turret, get into the game and learn your profession. Incidentally, when I'm on my DH, I specifically look for Tower Rangers (and Staff Eles) to pull them down, and invite them to actually get into the fight.

I'd also invite you to use the wiki, and look up boons like Stability, Protection and Vigor, and identify which Ranger abilities grant them, and how to maintain uptime in game - it will come in handy the next time you want to talk about a Guardian's "heavy armor, blocks and heals" lol.

Until then though, on behalf of others who play DH in WvW, I want to thank you for the salt-flavoured bags.

Do you know what the backline wvw roles mean? Power builds of Staff ele and lb ranger attack behind fortesses and zergs because they are the most vulnerable. Let people play the style they want, not what you want. Thats the problem with the meta elitists, forcing eles and rangers to play melee vs guardians and reves to abuse of their tankiness :)

@"frareanselm.1925" said:What's wrong with these pulls is that they IGNORE angle and heigh. And what i mean by that is: me as a ranger when I try to shot an arrow, if I'm not in the edge of the wall always appear the text in red: "obstructed" "obstructed" "obstructed". Also a little irregularity in the terrain that cuts the trajectory of an arrow "obstructed".This is an entirely different argument and hardly something I would consider an exploit. If this is your gripe, then you should change the title of your thread.

@frareanselm.1925 said:

)

Do you know what the backline wvw roles mean? Power builds of Staff ele and lb ranger attack behind fortesses and zergs because they are the most vulnerable. Let people play the style they want, not what you want. Thats the problem with the meta elitists, forcing eles and rangers to play melee vs guardians and reves to abuse of their tankiness :)

Sounds like you want all the benefits of the role you want to play without any of the downsides of the very same role.

@frareanselm.1925 said:

)

It does not ignore line of sight, DH pull is a two step process, they have to cast a skill that has a projectile with a visible animation, it has to hit you, and then the DH has to press F1 again to start the pull. What happened was you were standing on the very edge of the wall, got hit with F1 (that has a visible tether after as well), you then remained on the wall within 1,200 range, without stab or a stun break and he then pulled. So no, it does not ignore LOS, you just don't understand the game or other classes, like most tower rangers, as most tower rangers are a free kill once pulled out.

However, now that you are complaining about LoS, how about we talk about ranger LB #5 and how it actually DOES ignore LoS? This can be cast clear over an unbroken wall into the middle of a tower or even on top of a supply hut to hit players and siege, now THIS is broken. As for your obstructed comments, it makes it clear you have never played anything else, at least nothing else ranged, as ALL ranged classes are impacted by this, including LB DH.

@frareanselm.1925 said:

)

I really just need to say that by theme, a Dragonhunter is also a backline support having access too to a longbow (people just don't use it often). So it would be a bit weird to have a really short range spear (since they are also very proficient in melee range.But Rangers (even in real life) are also supposed to know how to fight melee range if needed.If you are gallantly invited to fight in melee with that pull, either prevent the thing next time with Stability or accept the fight and use your amazing melee Ranger skills.

Rangers also benefits from much better mobility and evades than a Dragonhunter (Guardian).

@Tharan.9085 said:

Let people play the style they want, not what you want.

That hypocrisy tho. Stop crying about Spear of Justice than

Today I've fight another dragonhunter in wvw and I've been aware of more broken skills. I was in a wall very far from the edge, yet the DH placed his traps in the top of the wall. This is a damn joke. Even he could place the summoned sword in the top of the wall, crazy!

OK now your really reaching DH's traps are placed at our feet not at range so you either are mistaking another attack for a trap or your ran into a player using a hacked code or your lying. I really don't care which but if it was a case of where you honestly are mistaken on the skill used it was probably Sword of Justice which is a ranged ground targeted skill. My best advice to you is try playing the class because that is ALWAYS the best way to learn how about its REAL limitations and also to learn how to counter it , instead of wasting your time trying to defend and argument of something that you believe is overpowered that everybody else has already figured out isn't and how to counter it. Haven't you noticed that all of the other defenders using range from the walls move back and forth from the wall, there is a visible tell for the spear , along with a cast time and travel speed and it no longer does and direct damage.

As a side note if you were hit by a Sword of Justice it also means you weren't paying attention around you because the SoJ isn't very hard to dodge out of , you really need to work on your situational awareness or your just going to continue to get hit by this be it the Spear of Justice, the Sword of Justice , Meteor Shower etc.