Black Screen Randomly No Crash or Error Code

Lately I have been getting black screens randomly while playing, still hearing some ambient music, no menus are visible, but I don't get a crash or error code and have to close GW2 from either task manager or the Windows menu bar. The only thing I've changed from the last time I've played without experiencing this was a driver update on an Nvidia GTX 1080. Hoping its just a driver issue but the game was patched a few times since playing on my desktop. Was playing on my laptop with the same drivers on a different graphics card and it had no issues (sli 755m)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a type of black screen where GW2 basically thinks you're disconnected, but you're actually not, so it doesn't display the connection error message. On this type of black screen, you can press F12 to open the logout menu, showing that it's still actually running. This can be caused by packet loss or anything else interfering with your connection. Try running the game on port 80 or 443 (Gw2.exe -clientport 80) or using a VPN.

For the GPU type of black screens, either your monitor would turn off / lose its signal, or your entire screen would go black for a few seconds as Windows tries to recover.

• 3 weeks later...

Been having a similar issue since, as best as I can recall, mid April when the Windows 10 creators update came out. There was also the 4/18 game update too and that was the earliest recorded issue in the windows event viewer. Didn't get any help from the dev's and it seems no one knows exactly what causes this. It's an Nvidia driver/Windows/GW2 issue that'll we'll have to wait for them to fix.

I'll just copy and paste from another thread:Download the new Nvidia drivers and have them ready, then use DDU to uninstall Nvidia Drivers. You can google how to use DDU and where to download it.After the video drivers are done, delete the audio drivers. Try out the windows drivers to run the audio.Then clear the GW2 cache by deleting the GW2cache folder in (C:>Users>your windows account name>AppData>Local>Temp>gw2cache)Next is the local.dat file by going to (C:>Users>your windows account name>AppData>Roaming>Guild Wars 2>local.dat)Note: When you start GW2 you will have to type in your user name and password in the GW2 launcher again. Also, reset some user preferences in GW2. Most are saved in the cloud.

You can also try turning down the clock on the 1080. I'm going to guess you have it OC'd or factory OC'd. Turning it down slightly may help. I turned mine OC down by just 50mhz and it helped. I used EVGA Precision since it's an EVGA card. Use whatever tuning software your vendor gave you with the card purchase.

Hello,

I have the same Issues but only if I select a Character being on a map from HoT or PoF.Tried nearly everything and the Eventlock says:

Failed to Load \Driver\WUDFRd for Device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0

This should be a mainboard Issue and I tried to solve the problems with the help of other forums, but haven't to manage solve the problem.

What I've done so far:

2x Clean Win 10 64Bit installationMemory Tests and MHz reductionBios UpdateCPU Limitation 2 Cores and frequencyOld Graphiccards driver installedturn off Hibernation and pagefileGPU-Z and CPU-Z temperature check (everything is fine)GPU underclocking

My System:

Windows 10 Pro build: 15063Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz Intel586ATI MSI Radeon R9 290x8Gb Kingson HyperXThermaltake Smart SE 730WAsus ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER256GB SSD and 3x 2TB SATA HDD (Installed it on all other Harddrives, but same error)

But sometimes I managed to select a Character being on maps from the addons... Thats the case in about 1/30 times and than I can play the game like 30 minutes- 3 hours without crashing.

"It's an Nvidia driver/Windows/GW2 issue that'll we'll have to wait for them to fix."

No, it isn't. I've been running the Windows 10 [64 bit] creators edition since before it was even a public release. I have a Gigabyte factory overclocked Nvidia GTX 1060 (3 GB). I'm running the Nvidia 382.53 drivers. I have dual 1080P monitors, but I only use one for gaming. I run the GW2 graphics settings all on highest with the following exceptions:

Shadows: LowReflections: Terrain and Sky onlyCharacter Model Limit: LowCharacter Model Quality: LowLight Adaptation: Off

I can play GW2 for hours. I have no crashes, no black screens, no shut-downs - ever - with GW2 or any other game. BTW, if you have to down-clock your GPU to make your system stable - you have a hardware failure problem.

@abomally.2694 said:"It's an Nvidia driver/Windows/GW2 issue that'll we'll have to wait for them to fix."

No, it isn't. I've been running the Windows 10 [64 bit] creators edition since before it was even a public release. I have a Gigabyte factory overclocked Nvidia GTX 1060 (3 GB). I'm running the Nvidia 382.53 drivers. I have dual 1080P monitors, but I only use one for gaming. I run the GW2 graphics settings all on highest with the following exceptions:

Shadows: LowReflections: Terrain and Sky onlyCharacter Model Limit: LowCharacter Model Quality: LowLight Adaptation: Off

I can play GW2 for hours. I have no crashes, no black screens, no shut-downs - ever - with GW2 or any other game. BTW, if you have to down-clock your GPU to make your system stable - you have a hardware failure problem.

You can play it with an entirely different rig! Sure, I can run my computer on every other piece of software for hours on end without the slightest issue too. It's only playing GW2 on my OC'd Nvidia card that a hiccup occurs. Tuning the OC down to a slightly less of an OC is not a "hardware failure" either. Especially when I can jack it up further on every other piece of software I've tried. If you Google the issue you'll find it's been happening on and off for almost a decade. Solutions are mostly around properly uninstalling/installing drivers to changing the power management setting in the Nvidia Control panel to maximum performance or adding some voltage.

For GW2, memory leaks are a known issue and causes crashing too. That's why clearing out the cache is a good idea from time to time.

For mentioning Windows 10 Creators update, that's because it can trigger windows into installing the latest drivers. Those drivers may be incompatible with the combination of components in our computers. So it's important to look back and see when updates occurred.

No. Windows 10 has been out long enough that the drivers are stable, provided that your hardware isn't 10 years old. In fact, that's one thing Windows 10 got right. Yes, sometimes graphics drivers have issues, but Nvidia is pretty good about including that information in the release notes.

If the problem was caused by a combination of incompatible drivers, the system would crash as soon as they were installed - not cause random black screens. A "bad" audio or network driver won't cause this. The Nvidia errors in the log files are a dead giveaway that it's the GPU failing.

Good luck.

"Failed to Load \Driver\WUDFRd for Device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0"

This is probably just a Windows timeout error and can be safely ignored. You can test this by setting the computer to sleep or hibernate. If sleep/hibernate work - then the ACPI driver and associated hardware is working.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This issue has been happening to me since April 2016, a random blackscreen with the environment music as background. I have tryed way too many options without any success, for example:

I tryed fixing the game with the fix command.I tryed reinstalling the gameI uninstalled, cleaned and fully reinstalled the gameI updated my Graphics Card drivers (It was an AMD back then)I updated my Windows driversI did port forwarding for ports 80 443 6112 and 6600I reduced the firewall security optionsI disabled the firewallI got a new Graphics Card, even from a different brand (Nvidia 1070)I got a new processorI updated and got more RAMI changed my routerI even changed my Internet Service Provider for a different company

After 2 long and annoying years, that have ruinned every little piece of interest I had in GW2, none of the above have helped or fixed the issue.

I contacted GW2 Support which was a total waste of time, they answer tickets too slow, 1 week for a basic response that only shows that the help desk engineer does not even try to read and understand the case, only getting predetermined answers.

I've lost any hope in Anet as a company, they just don't care about their customers, and after all what I have attempted, I'm confident that the issue is not on my end, but I am also sure that Anet team wont try to do anything as well.

• 4 weeks later...

same issue here too.I bought gw2 in pre-release, love this game. I decided to come back to gw2 with some new friends (new players in free to play) this year and I cant play with then becouse of this bug.I format and reinstall gw2change monitor, cablestried network fix, tcp ports open, disable firewall, etctake off my gtx770 and run game onboard, same issue

and still the same problem. couple of minutes of gameplay and monitor lose signal, but can still listen the game running.wanna play this awsome game but I cant...

Having same issue, it seem like this issue is not uncommon? It's been on going for years, but no solution?Been playing fine without any issue for a couple of years and suddenly, keep having black screen, but music playing on background and mouse cursor moving.Tried all above solutions, none worked.Sent complain to arena net, no reply, no response. Who should we go to? What can we do if no solution /guide being given?We would like to continue playing this game, becuase we like it, and this is ruining our gaming experience... At least an administrator reply to this thread please?

@Nilo.7309 said:Ticket for bugs like this one they ignore or say the problem is hardware or os...bunch of people with this problem since 2014 and they do nothing

Well, in fairness, people have had broken computers, and dodgy networks, since 2014 as well, so ... you may be describing the apparent response to these, but it would also describe the behaviour of a company that have correctly identified that they can't solve broken computers in software.

Anyway, I'm very sorry you have this problem, and that you can't find a solution. I hope you can find another game that you enjoy equally.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Nilo.7309 said:Ticket for bugs like this one they ignore or say the problem is hardware or os...bunch of people with this problem since 2014 and they do nothing

Well, in fairness, people have had broken computers, and dodgy networks, since 2014 as well, so ... you may be describing the apparent response to these, but it would also describe the behaviour of a company that have correctly identified that they can't solve broken computers in software.

Anyway, I'm very sorry you have this problem, and that you can't find a solution. I hope you can find another game that you enjoy equally.

Do you read only this last post right? I bought new GPU, cabe, run onboard, tried all network fix, firewall, Format Pc... Is this kind of behavior that you have that make us angry. U and anet dont even try to read all history, try to understand, think i'm a Noob. This problem is so old in foruns and in my Pc, If im telling u is becouse I tried EVERYTHING before came here

@Nilo.7309 said:

Do you read only this last post right? I bought new GPU, cabe, run onboard, tried all network fix, firewall, Format Pc... Is this kind of behavior that you have that make us angry. U and anet dont even try to read all history, try to understand, think i'm a Noob. This problem is so old in foruns and in my Pc, If im telling u is becouse I tried EVERYTHING before came here

I did read your post, yes. We seem to be talking about different things: if ANet support seem to be treating this like it might be a hardware problem, that is most likely because their experience says it is a hardware problem.

Anyway, if you tried literally everything already, I have nothing further to offer -- obviously -- so I wish you the very best of luck.

Me too Nilo, I tried a lot of things before coming here :(I changed my ISP - not fixedChanged my router settings - not fixedGet a new router - not fixedDDU all driver and reinstall drivers - not fixedUpdated drivers - not fixedGet a new graphic card - not fixedWindows 10 update - not fixedReinstall the game- not fixeddelete .dat and re-patched -not fixeduse -repair on my gw2.exe - not fixeduse -windowed on my gw2.exe -not fixeduse -port 80 - not fixedconnect through VPN- not fixedOpen up my PC and give a vacuum blow - not fixedupdated and got more RAM - not fixeddisabled fire wall - not fixedget a new anti virus - not fixed

having said so, whenever I can login (for 10 - 15 minutes windows before the crash) I try to play and enjoy the game.If i'm lucky i get to finish 1 ranked pvp, or else I crash and lose ratings... now my rating drop down to 1560? to 1580? ish :(People in my team keep saying I'm win trading because I keep dc due to this black screen, and couldn't convince them that I wasn't.This sesason is finishing and I'm looking forward to be in the top 100 but doesn't seem to be possible now i think...sigh!Even looking forward to the monthly tournament too....