GW2 - Cantha Expansion

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:Honestly i would like cantha but completely different from what we're used to, something more along the lines of neon tokyo.they already excluded themselves from the rest of the world, maybe they advanced way further then the rest of the world because they have no outside interference.what if some exiled (but not evil) asura got there and advanced kaineng city further then what any cantha citizen could ever do, now they have it quite luxurious with it's own modern problems. (like a yakuza kind of gang and an ancient dragon of their own controlling the underworld)

Like that idea, still get the sentimental hit, but new as well. Obviously the sprawling city would need to be an important feature. Flying would need to be banned in the city ofc, as it would destroy that maze like aspect. City has grown taller over the centuries and gliding could be really cool.

Why would flying have to be banned. If you like the map aspect, and want to travel through it on foot, then you have the option to not use mounts. Please don't let your preferences dictate how others should be able to enjoy the game.

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:The Luxons and Kurzicks maintaining their respective cultures in secret is a certainly possible, actually its arguably probable as it would be the logical reaction to the Empire trying to absorb the Factions. Real world history has had numerous examples, plus it would be a great plot point for us to help the Faction regain their freedom.Ok, so as much as I am against "going back to Cantha", this concept actually has merit. It wouldn't be going back for the sake of nostalgia; rather, it would be an actual story line or plot.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:The Luxons and Kurzicks maintaining their respective cultures in secret is a certainly possible, actually its arguably probable as it would be the logical reaction to the Empire trying to absorb the Factions. Real world history has had numerous examples, plus it would be a great plot point for us to help the Faction regain their freedom.Ok, so as much as I am against "going back to Cantha", this concept actually has merit. It wouldn't be going back for the sake of nostalgia; rather, it would be an actual story line or plot.

Well of course its for more than just nostalgia, for myself at least nostalgia doesn't even come in third. Finding out whats been happening in the years since Cantha was closed off as any number of things could have happened since then. The Empire could very well have collapsed into anarchy...or worse. Which would be a strong possibility, as the old Factions lore documents implied that Cantha was running out of resources, natural and otherwise, as far back as Factions itself. Imagine how bad it'd be after cutting themselves off from international trade. Also, I again must bring up the more unique environments Cantha provides, how many more times can Anet bring us new maps of deserts, jungles, and snowy mountains before things start to get really old? There's also a couple decent threads in the Lore sub-forum for how to possibly connect Cantha to the Elder Dragons, I rather like the most recent one.But for myself, Cantha is just a fundamental part of Guild Wars, no less so than Tyria and Elona, leaving it out leaves Guild Wars 2 incomplete to me.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:Honestly i would like cantha but completely different from what we're used to, something more along the lines of neon tokyo.they already excluded themselves from the rest of the world, maybe they advanced way further then the rest of the world because they have no outside interference.what if some exiled (but not evil) asura got there and advanced kaineng city further then what any cantha citizen could ever do, now they have it quite luxurious with it's own modern problems. (like a yakuza kind of gang and an ancient dragon of their own controlling the underworld)

Like that idea, still get the sentimental hit, but new as well. Obviously the sprawling city would need to be an important feature. Flying would need to be banned in the city ofc, as it would destroy that maze like aspect. City has grown taller over the centuries and gliding could be really cool.

Why would flying have to be banned. If you like the map aspect, and want to travel through it on foot, then you have the option to not use mounts. Please don't let your preferences dictate how others should be able to enjoy the game.

From a design perspective anet are unlikely to spend years designing a city thats key usp is its oppressive maze like nature If that atmospheric effect is lost through flying. its a stupendous waste of resource and effort - sure people may not choose to use mounts but thats not how the human mind works, e.g your in a group, and some want to fly over the walls etc etc. This is one of the few occasions where I actually agree with a blizzard approach in that a good middle ground may be that your mount is activated after you complete the story lines - perhaps your mounts were captured.

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

From a design perspective anet are unlikely to spend years designing a city thats key usp is its oppressive maze like nature If that atmospheric effect is lost through flying. its a stupendous waste of resource and effort - sure people may not choose to use mounts but thats not how the human mind works, e.g your in a group, and some want to fly over the walls etc etc. This is one of the few occasions where I actually agree with a blizzard approach in that a good middle ground may be that your mount is activated after you complete the story lines - perhaps your mounts were captured.

they can always make the streets so full of stuff that using a mount only makes it harder to navigate, just like it is hard to use a car in certain parts of Tokyo.

This cantha stuff again???

At this point might as well erase the rest of the map since in all these years of GW2 we have just gone to the same places we have in GW1, there could be vast lands of other culture out there, aztec themed char... advanced skritt steampunk cities, we'll never know because it was not in GW1 and for that reason anet will not take us there, must go visit some obscure place of GW1 just to see how it is now...

i know i exaggerate there but, its the true, i eager for the time we actually explore an 100% new and unexplored region of the map, feel exited discovering what’s behind every hill rather than knowing what should be there because of previous lore.

We've been to a few new locations in Gw2, Summerset Isles, Southsun Cove, Dragonfall just to name a few.

Many of the old locations have also drastically changed between games, Ascalon is no longer a human kingdom, Kryta is no longer a tropical Jungle, Orr is no longer underwater.With old locations you have so much to build on but going to new places is like a blank slate, you have to build everything from scratch which is much harder to do and more demanding.

It's very easy to get into this mentality that new places will always be better and more interesting/exciting however can anyone honestly say they think highly of Southsun Cove?Personally I don't mind the map but over the years I've seen a lot of people hold pretty negative opinions on the map.How would you honestly feel if we did go somewhere new and it was just bad.. boring maps, uninteresting story and lackluster isolated lore that nobody cares about because it's disconnected from the rest of the world..

I'm not saying that's what we'll get, I have plenty of faith in Anet's world building abilities ^^but it will always be a possibility.. especially if new locations are pushed because of fans complaining about reusing old locations all the time.Personally im hoping the Icebrood Saga will take us further north than we've been before, but I won't be disappointed if we deal with Jormag in/around the EoTn regions.

@Teratus.2859 said:We've been to a few new locations in Gw2, Summerset Isles, Southsun Cove, Dragonfall just to name a few.

Many of the old locations have also drastically changed between games, Ascalon is no longer a human kingdom, Kryta is no longer a tropical Jungle, Orr is no longer underwater.With old locations you have so much to build on but going to new places is like a blank slate, you have to build everything from scratch which is much harder to do and more demanding.

It's very easy to get into this mentality that new places will always be better and more interesting/exciting however can anyone honestly say they think highly of Southsun Cove?Personally I don't mind the map but over the years I've seen a lot of people hold pretty negative opinions on the map.How would you honestly feel if we did go somewhere new and it was just bad.. boring maps, uninteresting story and lackluster isolated lore that nobody cares about because it's disconnected from the rest of the world..

I'm not saying that's what we'll get, I have plenty of faith in Anet's world building abilities ^^but it will always be a possibility.. especially if new locations are pushed because of fans complaining about reusing old locations all the time.Personally im hoping the Icebrood Saga will take us further north than we've been before, but I won't be disappointed if we deal with Jormag in/around the EoTn regions.

Technically Orr is a new area as it was inaccessible in gw1, how many people just love those maps?

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:We've been to a few new locations in Gw2, Summerset Isles, Southsun Cove, Dragonfall just to name a few.

Technically Orr is a new area as it was inaccessible in gw1, how many people just love those maps?

True lol

• 3 months later...

If I understood how Anet works when it comes to creating concepts for gw2 correctly, perception of cantha=china probably will alter dramatically.
250 years. That's a lot of time. Maybe cantha developed crazy tech, turned themselves into lin kuei cyborgs, the sea dragon is captive and used as battery. I can't guess how the story will go, other than dragons and gods, I'm just expecting Anet to surprise us all like they always do.

I don't know if I would like the whole of Cantha persay, but maybe a "Cantha-inspired" new continent. Maybe factions of people left Cantha because they didn't like the xenophobic nature of the new regimen. On their new lands they uncover something about the deep sea dragon. Maybe the lands are not one large continent but a cluster of islands which are now facing off against water-based dragon minions. A new island nation rising from the water doesn't seem too strange with how much the costline of Tyria (Orr) has changed in the last few hundred years. Here humans, tengu, and maybe a new "local" non-human race co-exist, and also Quaggans of course. This brings a bunch of new ascetics (Asian themes as well as a pacific islander and ocean-centered themes, etc.) and lore into the game. Hopefully we get a new cast of "team members" as well. The tengu who have left Cantha still have contact with these islander Tengu in secret, and the islander Tengu reach out to those on Tyria to help them defeat or maybe even harness the magic of the water dragon considering their success with previous elder dragons. Asura technology could easily make links to some of the islands from Tyria. This could eventually lead to shifts in the political climate of Cantha once they realize the strong alliances forming between an increasing number of races, reopening it to all the races for trade, etc. for an even later expansion.

@artharon.9276 said:If I understood how Anet works when it comes to creating concepts for gw2 correctly, perception of cantha=china probably will alter dramatically.

250 years. That's a lot of time. Maybe cantha developed crazy tech, turned themselves into lin kuei cyborgs, the sea dragon is captive and used as battery. I can't guess how the story will go, other than dragons and gods, I'm just expecting Anet to surprise us all like they always do.

But with the ministry of purity in charge who think humanity is the perfect race, What would have changed? Can't improve perfect race/society. Since it's recycled for the fact that, for some unfathomable reason cantha was really popular, they won't change much. They could but i have my doubts.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@artharon.9276 said:If I understood how Anet works when it comes to creating concepts for gw2 correctly, perception of cantha=china probably will alter dramatically.

But with the ministry of purity in charge who think humanity is the perfect race, What would have changed? Can't improve perfect race/society. Since it's recycled for the fact that, for some unfathomable reason cantha was really popular, they won't change much. They could but i have my doubts.

We knew Balthazar left us all with other 5 gods until we met him right? off topic, I want him back and redeemed. It was an interesting character.We probably will have more clues at the end of the icebrood saga. Something depressive would fit perfectly to the situation we all have in real life right now, pandemics, nuclear war tension, war over resources and economy, dictators hiding behind the democracy, corrupted politicians, isolation, racism, sexism, elitism, immigration and cultural assimilation problems. you name it.

@Karkara.9067 said:This cantha stuff again???

At this point might as well erase the rest of the map since in all these years of GW2 we have just gone to the same places we have in GW1, there could be vast lands of other culture out there, aztec themed char... advanced skritt steampunk cities, we'll never know because it was not in GW1 and for that reason anet will not take us there, must go visit some obscure place of GW1 just to see how it is now...

i know i exaggerate there but, its the true, i eager for the time we actually explore an 100% new and unexplored region of the map, feel exited discovering what’s behind every hill rather than knowing what should be there because of previous lore.

Amen brother, but you'll not find popularity in your post here with all the... Asianophiles... that are all over this game.

@Clyan.1593 said:Next Xpac is cantha. Get used to it.

No. I can also just stop giving them my money to go back to the same maps I already played in GW1 14 years ago. PoF was already a flaming pile of disappointment.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@"Clyan.1593" said:Next Xpac is cantha. Get used to it.

PoF was already a flaming pile of disappointment.

The story was yes, but not the maps. They are by far better than any other maps in the game.Especially PoF LS maps were genius.People seem to forget that. It's not the continent, it's the story that was bad.Also people keep saying "i have played that in GW1" even tho the maps in GW2 have exactly ZERO to do with the ones in GW1.Beside the obvious changes to the world itself exploration also changes everything. You couldn'd jump, glide or use mounts in GW1.You couldn't even enter a building. I recently got GWAMM, and not a single time did I feel like I was revisiting a map or a place from GW2.These comparisons make no sense at all.So yeah, cantha or not, that has nothing to do if it will be good or not.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@Karkara.9067 said:This cantha stuff again???

Amen brother, but you'll not find popularity in your post here with all the... Asianophiles... that are all over this game.

@Clyan.1593 said:Next Xpac is cantha. Get used to it.

No. I can also just stop giving them my money to go back to the same maps I already played in GW1 14 years ago. PoF was already a flaming pile of disappointment.

It's easier to milk money with nostalgia than trying to do something new. Maybe anet did that before but that is long in the past.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It seems to me we have played in maps that weren't in Guild Wars.

And, even the maps with the same names barely resemble what they looked like in Guild Wars, much less how the play is, the travel through them is, etc.

For instance, to me, Dry Top isn't anything like what it was in Guild Wars.

Not to mention the entire region of Kryta which was pretty much a tropical jungle with plenty of marshland/bogs in Gw1.. in Gw2 it's been completely transformed by mostly Humans and Centaurs.The Bog where we fight Shadow Behemoth is pretty much the only part of Kryta that still looks similar to how it did in Gw1.

no one wants that.

@Eric.7813 said:

no one wants that.

No one wants that, wants what exactly?Read the whole thing. I suggested nothing or asked anyone's opinion.