Do you have a main and what is it and why?

@Orack.9756 said:I'm currently like the OP, searching myself about which class while give me the best feeling.For the race, Asuran, all the way. I love their story and voice. I still want to learn more about their past :)I just regret the weapon oversize who doesn't make any sense and make thing way harder to look good...

I'm currently playing necro a lot, but the more I play it, the more I realize I just like the fact it can faceroll anything, not really the skill/class itself (even if minion are fun.. but ugly).

What do you play the necro on? Maybe you picked the wrong race for it? Mine is an asura.

I also enjoy the asura very much, especially the GW1 version of them ... I'm replaying the game again with a new asura eng, I aim to get him to holosmith ... feels immersive enough. Sadly there aren't many maps that are asura focused ... HoT is very Pact/Sylvary focused, PoF is very much huan focused, and everything in the north is either for charr or the norn ... the asura basically got the worst of it basically, being an assura pact commander also doesn't feel right ... not to mention being Glint's/Aurene's chosen -.-

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kovac.4372 said:

@Orack.9756 said:I'm currently like the OP, searching myself about which class while give me the best feeling.For the race, Asuran, all the way. I love their story and voice. I still want to learn more about their past :)I just regret the weapon oversize who doesn't make any sense and make thing way harder to look good...

I'm currently playing necro a lot, but the more I play it, the more I realize I just like the fact it can faceroll anything, not really the skill/class itself (even if minion are fun.. but ugly).

What do you play the necro on? Maybe you picked the wrong race for it? Mine is an asura.

I also enjoy the asura very much, especially the GW1 version of them ... I'm replaying the game again with a new asura eng, I aim to get him to holosmith ... feels immersive enough. Sadly there aren't many maps that are asura focused ... HoT is very Pact/Sylvary focused, PoF is very much huan focused, and everything in the north is either for charr or the norn ... the asura basically got the worst of it basically, being an assura pact commander also doesn't feel right ... not to mention being Glint's/Aurene's chosen -.-

Like I said, my favorite race is asura, so every char I get but one are Asura ^^

For the necro, like I said, mitigate feeling.I've pick it cuz it was an easy class and sound good to learn mecanique of them game at 1st, but since it very similar to teso, I was able to solo some bounty day 3 after playing Necro.It was fun at 1st, but now not so much, everything feel easy, and when a game is to easy it become boring.I've made ton of different build from condi to power since I know the class well now and I'm never satisfy with it.

The more I play the more I look at other class.I love mobility and/or range and magic feeling and be able to support friend.But I'll find, for now I wanna end the s4 + S5 with my Necro so I've at least one char who have access to the whole map and enough mastery to feel comfy ^^

Edit :I'll add this after I read myself ;

• When I said it's easy, it's not to sound like an a.s.s. ; it just what most ppl said on internet.
  • I've nothing against player who play Necro because of this.
  • I'm sur most Necro play it just because it fun to them and not because it easier than some class.Was just to be clair with this.

I have twenty-seven mains, three of each profession. I use them all regularly, at least every week or so. I don't quite have all of the elite specializations accounted for yet. I think I'm missing a weaver, spellbreaker, firebrand, and holosmith.

However, I do have one character dedicated to Fractals and one dedicated to WvW.

I have a Necro and I don't like that part of it either. I'm eventually going to unlock the Reaper specialization in Heart of Thorns content - so I can ditch the minions and run around with a high-damage greatsword build.

• 2 weeks later...

No I don't have one character I main. I have multiple mains for different game types.

For open world my main is a male charr druid (because it was my first character)

For Raids it's a female Sylvari Chronomancer because self imposed Chronojail .

For PvP it's a male Sylvari Weaver :(

When I solo open world bosses (mostly Balthazar's Avatar HP) I use a female human weaver.

I have 9 mains, one for each profession. I have 12 alts to finish having every combination of race and gender and weight class for each race (for the cultural armor).

I consider my 9 characters as mains because I don't tie myself to a single profession. I have 3 different playstyles, which all 9 can do. I have several builds on each of my mains. I switch up which characters I play simply to keep things fresh.

As for my alts, they're there just for flavor. I'm a completionist like that and I wanted a character of each race for each weight class, and every gender/race combo just to have it. It started with having 9 alts to have an alt for each main, because that's what I wanted. No other reason. I added three more alts to round out the weight class for each species.

As for playstyles, I ahve a burst build, tanky build, and support build for every profession. Each profession plays each style slightly differently, which is how I keep the game fresh at all times. I even PvP with every profession.

I play Guild Wars 2, not . I never felt any desire to lock myself into a single character. Oh and all builds are theory crafted by me, and they all work effectively. That's why I can competently play every profession, because my builds work for the way I play. I have tried meta builds from metabattle and I just never liked the feel of them. I'm more effective with my own builds that make sense to me..

Charr male thief.I call it my "main" because every new content and story must be first experienced on this character. Everytime I play with my guild (Guild Missions or helping someone) I usually come with my charr. This is my best and well-dressed, designed, the richest and oldest character. This thief is more like my signature ingame.

Every other character has a specific role, like my rev is mostly for fractals/raids (alarene/condi dps), firebrand only to heal people in fracs/raids, mesmer if I have to bring feedback at Matthias (sometimes I play power chrono in open world/strikes just for fun). Weaver is just as a power dps for raids or hardcore encounters in OW (like soloing champs, bounties, dungeons). I play engi when I need a break or just be a walking meme.

guard main, simply because its so versatile and i dont need anything else.meta builds for power dps, condi dps, heal/boon support, tank and a bunch of really nice open world builds.

i have 9 chars - 1 for each class - and have them all geared for 2-3 different builds. but even if they are fun to play in the end i am always back on my guard :smiley:

Male charr engineer.

When I decided to jump in GW2 I made my research to see what class would I like, I fell in love with Engineer class and after more than 2 years I still use him for basically everything, Power/Condi Holo for endgame content and scrapper healer for WvW and sometimes dungeons.At first I got interested on the turrets and the ability to use pistols/rifles in a mmorpg game, while playing I loved the immersive story and the exploration this game offers, learning little by little what engineer has to offer, I grew fond to my own avatar I swore not to change main ever.... and once I unlocked holosmith and seeing all the animations and cool stuff I concluded it was a new level of awesomeness.

Charr is literally the only reason i'm playing GW2, best anthrophomorphic race ever.

I have over 15 full ascended-geared and fashioned alts (all male charr :) ) but despite of that, my engi has over 8k hours and my second most played alt doesn't even go beyond 200 hours.

Male sylvari ranger. He was my very first character in GW2 and five years later I still like him the best of all my toons because... well, because I like him, I guess.(I have one sylvari for each class, one asura warrior for my son and a key farmer slot where I try other races and always gladly go back to my twiggies).

When GW2 was released i played it for few weeks. From GW1 player perspective this game seemed to be to casual and simplified. 5 skills on bow instead of 50 of my choosing? No way. So i left and came back from boredom reasons and tried necro. One day in wvw map i found out that one of my server teammat needs help in 1 vs 3 fight. I joined (tbh he carried us) and we won. Then i discovered that he was from my country and runs one of the biggest guilds of that time, so naturally i joined in. In the next few weeks i was doing wvw runs but i did not really understood what they were talking about on teamspeak. "water", "blast". Screaming like crazy people, wtf? So after those few weeks i asked them about it and then i got stuned. I ve been playing this game wrong! what do you mean field, finisher? there are combos in that game? Whaaaat?I dont really think that i was so embarrassed in a game before. Whole weeks of playing without realising those mechanics? The only thing i could do was to ask: so who is using those fields and combos most. And they answered elementalist.Guildmate1: "but just so you know. its gonna be a chalange"Me: -"yeah, i get it" (while in fact i was already thinking about race for my new ele)Then this happened:Somebody in the background: "guys, there is also engineer..."Guildmate: "shhhhh, don't say that to new player!"Me: "what?"Guildmate3: "nothing, nothing. Dont listen to him."Me: "what do you mean"Guildmate2: "engi is not using combos. He is a combo. But it's not like it essential. No one really needs an engi. Not in wvw, not in dungeons. Don't punish yourself"And that is how you become an engineer boys and girls.

TBH i would like to swap my main but i dont see any other class with such diversity. I can literally send gyro to one place to help downed player, while removing conditions from other players in other corner while i break bosses bar + provide aoe blind + block projectiles from boss at the same time.

I havent been able to decide. I want a main so i can focus on one character and start getting that ascended gear and stuff, but I cant do that until I choose a main. I dont even have 70% world completion on any character of mine yet. I pretty much only play pve / open world.

My current choices for a main:Guardian - My first character and probably the farthest in the game but kinda bored with him.Ranger - love ranged combat and staying out of melee as melee in GW2 gets so messy.Elementalist - I am tempted to give this class a try.

I love playing the support role when in groups, and I want a class that can solo and survive as much as possible since I play at various times.

@"Notsure.7028" said:I havent been able to decide. I want a main so i can focus on one character and start getting that ascended gear and stuff, but I cant do that until I choose a main. I dont even have 70% world completion on any character of mine yet. I pretty much only play pve / open world.

My current choices for a main:Guardian - My first character and probably the farthest in the game but kinda bored with him.Ranger - love ranged combat and staying out of melee as melee in GW2 gets so messy.Elementalist - I am tempted to give this class a try.

I love playing the support role when in groups, and I want a class that can solo and survive as much as possible since I play at various times.

Hi, Notsure! We share a name! Well, my YouTube channel is called "Not Sure" anyway! You can see from my videos (there's one posted earlier in this thread) that I love to play weaver! So, of course I 100% support the decision to give elementalist a try! It's definitely one of the most fun and unique classes to play, in my opinion.

So my main is Female Sylvari Necromancer.So when I first began I wasn't looking at mechanics much or how useful the class is ingame, what attracted me was the fell and the flavour it had. And so I began playing with my necromancer. And once you just get used to it other classes weren't cutting it for me anymore, and since I was playing her so much I just became attached to her.But once raids came out I startted enjoying my druid sylvari a bit more so she's my go to for raids.

I main a ranger. Always have in pretty much any game since I started playing D&D in the late 70s. Every game starts with a ranger or something close to it.

And no, I am not a Legolas fan. Enjoyed the character in the books; detested the actor and role in the movies.

My main is an Elementalist.

She has her survivability issues, which can be frustrating, but no other class quite does it for me. I detest the plate look and leather isn't much better. Already, that limits me to one third the choices. Besides, I always play casters in these kind of games. My WoW main was a Druid in which I spent 95%+ of her play time as Balance, 4.5% Resto and the last 0.5% Guardian/Feral.

Anyways, back to the Elementalist. I dabble with Weaver every now and then, but I'm usually a Tempest rocking my shiny new Bifrost. The rainbow trails are just so pretty and I find I don't really want to use anything else, even though I have a scepter/warhorn on switch. My current setup with her is full Marauders (weapon, armor, trinkets) with pack runes along with Fire/Air/Tempest specializations. She seems to do alright in open world/story which is my primary focus anyway.

For WvW, the few times I go in there, I typically use my Celestial gear and play more of a support Tempest role. Been awhile since I've checked, but I believe her specs are Fire/Water/Tempest. The Celestial gear is also what I use on the Weaver when I dabble with that. I have a set of Minstrels I sometimes use as well, depending on whether I'm in full support mode or hybrid support/offensive mode. Probably bad on my part, but I don't like feeling useless and full support isn't necessary when there is little to no opposition.

I would not say I'm particularly skilled in this game. Heck, the War Beast/Balthazar fight at the end of PoF saw me going down probably 30 times.

-Jennifer

I don't have a main per say but Ranger is one profession I have played more than my other ones according to my gw2efficiency overview, followed by Guardian which was also my first chara. Outside of LS story-clearing, I tend to dabble with my other characters here and there for a few minutes or hours, like I had made a male Charr Engineer to play the last two LS4 episodes with him due to the deep voice during tense moments :lol:

? howdy !

My mains are revenant and Mesmer. Specially I play alacrigade and boon Chrono the most. If our team is needs it I'll dps Chrono or condi ele. My reasoning is that boons have high marketability in raids and they are not very reliant on rotations. Power Chrono is an easy dps class for blasting open world stuff.

Thanks

Norn male warrior.

I find the warrior pretty good for casual PVE play. I can play around with almost any weapon I pick up through PvE. Hoelbrak looked cool and I liked the snowy landscapes when I started out. Although the ascetics of male norn get a lot hate I like their lore and think their hulking exterior fits quite well with a strength/adrenaline based class. I enjoy finding a style that "works". The reason I keep playing him as a main is because I am still working through the story progression and I like the immersion of doing it in order with one character. Basically he has just become the protagonist of my story and I guess I have assigned him a persona that I role play (only in my head).

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Notsure.7028" said:I havent been able to decide. I want a main so i can focus on one character and start getting that ascended gear and stuff, but I cant do that until I choose a main. I dont even have 70% world completion on any character of mine yet. I pretty much only play pve / open world.

Hi, Notsure! We share a name! Well, my YouTube channel is called "Not Sure" anyway! You can see from my videos (there's one posted earlier in this thread) that I love to play weaver! So, of course I 100% support the decision to give elementalist a try! It's definitely one of the most fun and unique classes to play, in my opinion.

Ironically, after a couple weeks being back I remember why I left and I see that the things I had issues with are still prevalent in the game so looks like im bowing out again. Have a good time!

@Irensaga.6935 said:

@"Orack.9756" said:I'm currently like the OP, searching myself about which class while give me the best feeling.For the race, Asuran, all the way. I love their story and voice. I still want to learn more about their past :)I just regret the weapon oversize who doesn't make any sense and make thing way harder to look good...

I have a Necro and I don't like that part of it either. I'm eventually going to unlock the Reaper specialization in Heart of Thorns content - so I can ditch the minions and run around with a high-damage greatsword build.

Little update on this.I've try many class and build and I got a blast with power chrono, really fun to play, really love it.But.. I've do so much with the Nercro, I wasn't able to motive myself to unlock map again (I know it's stupid but I just can't have thing locked :x)And little by little I come back on necro, again.

But, this time I took my time to think about build making and what I usually like.I'm a support, healer at heart, but in this kind of game you've to carry gear for every content and I'm to casual for that.So since I play mostly solo or duo, even for fractal/dg/strike (the possible one ofc), I've made a weird hyrbid build who is pretty efficient and surprisingly fun to play, especially with a mate or in pug group/meta-event.

I dps enough to solo if needed, slower than all dps but still faster than all healer (~12k), I use minion to tank and clear condi with BM and if I don't need I switch to spite + more dps skill.Use Zealot gear with Mercy rune, water and transfusion sigil.So far it's very efficient and make run, especially meta more smooth by how fast and how many player I can rez.

It's not even close to be meta or to be good in efficient group, but for pug fractal, solo, meta event, etc.. it's pretty fun and good ^^(Zealot is expensive though ><)

If people are curious : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAc2ZlZwmYVMK2IeqS9vKA-zxIY9o7vMSMVruqEbA-e

So, for the topic, Lazy Necro main I guess :>

I play mesmer, because of gw1 mesmer. gw2 mesmer feels lackluster in some parts. As a wvw mirage player it is pretty rough. no way of surviving if you don't use mirrors in your build. also most of my chars are male asura, but when I got into the game I used to have each race once. all male. I just wished mesmer was as good as back in gw1. lots of focus of denying the enemy to use their build while simultaniously being unable to cast aswell. leaving enemy open for spikes.