Fighting at range in instances

Is there weapons you regret not using because range is almost irrelevant ?What would you change to make range fight on par with melee stacking in instanced PvE ?Would you be upset if some fights favor range weapons more than melee weapons ?Would you be upset if some fights harshly punished stacking with unavoidable penalties ?

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:Proplem is with boon stacking and healing or how they work in this game. If you dont stack in melee you are without quickness, alacrity, might, spirits, etc etc because boon share and heals has so small range.

Quickness and alacrity are the biggest problem here but otherwise you can actually be kiting within 600 range of boss if you have warhorn boon tempest as healer. But if you got a greatsword chrono with StM and shortbow alacrigade, even that's not a real issue as you just gotta stack together at range.

The real problem though: organizing peoples to properly stack at range. Ranged Deimos is pretty much the only boss where people do that and even then the bubble position is probably the main clue about where to stack.Though another problem, ofc, is that dpsing entirely from range tends to be a huge dps nerf on most classes with engi, warr, guard and ele drawing the shortest straw in that regard.

@LadyKitty.6120 said:

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:Proplem is with boon stacking and healing or how they work in this game. If you dont stack in melee you are without quickness, alacrity, might, spirits, etc etc because boon share and heals has so small range.

Quickness and alacrity are the biggest problem here but otherwise you can actually be kiting within 600 range of boss if you have warhorn boon tempest as healer. But if you got a greatsword chrono with StM and shortbow alacrigade, even that's not a real issue as you just gotta stack together at range.

The real problem though: organizing peoples to properly stack at range. Ranged Deimos is pretty much the only boss where people do that and even then the bubble position is probably the main clue about where to stack.Though another problem, ofc, is that dpsing entirely from range tends to be a huge dps nerf on most classes with engi, warr, guard and ele drawing the shortest straw in that regard.

Aint deadeye rifle pretty good range dps aswell?

@Kulvar.1239 said:Is there weapons you regret not using because range is almost irrelevant ?What would you change to make range fight on par with melee stacking in instanced PvE ?Would you be upset if some fights favor range weapons more than melee weapons ?Would you be upset if some fights harshly punished stacking with unavoidable penalties ?

Simple, they stack for buff, make boon hit all the squad wherever they are, and tadaa, you can play as you want instead of brainlessly stacking at 80% of encounter.We add the same problem in ESO, very boring.More strat about range would be nice too.I don't understand people who just love stack and afk button mashing instead of doing more mechanic and making shine all sort of build/weapon instead of just braindead dps race to skip most mechanic (again, same thing in ESO).I've stop ESO cuz after doing most end-game content, it start become very boring to me. Came here for something different, was very disappointed. So I'll stick to open world and chill, seem like 0 game have good enough dev to build real encounter these day.

@Linken.6345 said:

You still play in melee for boons.

@Orack.9756 said:

@Kulvar.1239 said:Is there weapons you regret not using because range is almost irrelevant ?What would you change to make range fight on par with melee stacking in instanced PvE ?Would you be upset if some fights favor range weapons more than melee weapons ?Would you be upset if some fights harshly punished stacking with unavoidable penalties ?

Simple, they stack for buff, make boon hit all the squad wherever they are, and tadaa, you can play as you want instead of brainlessly stacking at 80% of encounter.We add the same problem in ESO, very boring.More strat about range would be nice too.I don't understand people who just love stack and afk button mashing instead of doing more mechanic and making shine all sort of build/weapon instead of just braindead dps race to skip most mechanic (again, same thing in ESO).I've stop ESO cuz after doing most end-game content, it start become very boring to me. Came here for something different, was very disappointed. So I'll stick to open world and chill, seem like 0 game have good enough dev to build real encounter these day.

It sound like a good idea to have boon spread at infinite range while in instances. Would solve a lot of the issue

@Kulvar.1239 said:

It sound like a good idea to have boon spread at infinite range while in instances. Would solve a lot of the issue

That was not the point, I asked that since thief was not in the classes she listed.

@LadyKitty.6120 said:Though another problem, ofc, is that dpsing entirely from range tends to be a huge dps nerf on most classes with engi, warr, guard and ele drawing the shortest straw in that regard.

@Linken.6345 said:

That was not the point, I asked that since thief was not in the classes she listed.

@LadyKitty.6120 said:Though another problem, ofc, is that dpsing entirely from range tends to be a huge dps nerf on most classes with engi, warr, guard and ele drawing the shortest straw in that regard.

Kitty had no reason to mention deadeye as she was listing builds that are bad at range. o.o

I don't understand people who just love stack and afk button mashing instead of doing more mechanic and making shine all sort of build/weapon instead of just braindead dps race to skip most mechanic (again, same thing in ESO).Kitty's also been wondering how it doesn't get boring for them. She personally swaps to different build every few days to keep things fresh and she plays meme builds a lot (to the point of being infamous for it). It's not like weaker builds aren't an option but they quickly fall behind in any skilled squad if people play above 80% of bench on meta builds. Gotta compensate by skill if the build is weak but even that isn't enough quite a few times.

@LadyKitty.6120 said:

Kitty had no reason to mention deadeye as she was listing builds that are bad at range. o.o

I don't understand people who just love stack and afk button mashing instead of doing more mechanic and making shine all sort of build/weapon instead of just braindead dps race to skip most mechanic (again, same thing in ESO).Kitty's also been wondering how it doesn't get boring for them. She personally swaps to different build every few days to keep things fresh and she plays meme builds a lot (to the point of being infamous for it). It's not like weaker builds aren't an option but they quickly fall behind in any skilled squad if people play above 80% of bench on meta builds. Gotta compensate by skill if the build is weak but even that isn't enough quite a few times.

Oh I read it as the shortest straw meaning they were the best to bring since all get a dps loss but they lost the least, my bad =P

It's part of the reason why I enjoy bringing my Reaper as a DPS to LFG groups, as Axe gives me a solid weapon that allows me to still do damage outside of melee range.

There aren't many fights in fractals where that matters though. Off the top of my head I can think of the Gladiator in Chaos, Anomaly in Thaum, The Voice in Deepstone (to do damage as you run from one end of the room to the other as he kitten teleports) and maybe the Suit/Elemental in Underground, again to DPS while kiting.

On my Alacrigade for instance, I will swap out Staff for a Shortbow on those fights for just those reasons, but for everywhere else melee works fine.

The original Social Awkwardness technically did penalize players for stacking, but ANET eventually saw that as an issue and gave us the Social Distancing instability; it doesn't penalize stacking, it just gets in the way.

Its less about range and more about those weapons deal no damage. I love staff ele and it was my main when it was meta, but its been nerfed so much its not worth playing even in melee. Both longbow and mesmer gs have a place in meta, even with melee penalties on those weps.