Energy and cast times QoL

rdigeri.7935

All rev mains have experienced this at some point: you start casting a skill with an energy cost while you have an upkeep on, and before finishing the cast, your energy goes just 1 point short of the cost of your casted skill. Suddenly your casted skill is canceled.

And sure you can just stop your upkeep to avoid this, but that's unnecessary management, and not even possible on herald for example.

There'd be quite a simple fix for this:-starting a casted skill (that depletes energy on the end of the cast, not the beginning) puts that amount of energy "on hold" which does not count as usable energy. Meaning your upkeeps are canceled in situations like this instead of the casted skill. The cost would be on hold either until the skill is successful or until it fails, depleting or refunding it respectively.

Energy "on hold" could have a visual indication, for example greying out that part of the energy bar.

Experience will let you learn intutivelly when to cast a skill or not when certain upkeeps are on, whithout the need from ANet to touch the coding. Everytime their programmers interact with code lines from the Rev, even from things as puerile as the transitions between facets and entering or jumping out from water or mounts, there's chances for them to ruin something which then will remain bugged for months.

@Buran.3796 said:Experience will let you learn intutivelly when to cast a skill or not when certain upkeeps are on, whithout the need from ANet to touch the coding. Everytime their programmers interact with code lines from the Rev, even from things as puerile as the transitions between facets and entering or jumping out from water or mounts, there's chances for them to ruin something which then will remain bugged for months.

So they should not try to make something more player friendly because they'll mess it up? xDThey'll decide if it's worth it anyway, and this is what test servers are for

Every bug or drawback can be played around, but should we have to? Should you really not be able to cast those skills in those circumstances?

They should make Energy drain every other second for the same amount which will be drained in 2 seconds.

Example : Hammers is -6Initial cast drain takes effect.first second with no drain.second second with 12 drainthird second with no drainfourth second with 12 drain

Upkeep will turn itself off as soon as it detects insufficient Energy for the next drain tick.

Can this be used to cheat Energy? Maybe.But at this point I'm like whatever man, what can 1 extra tick actually do for uptime anyway >.>

Well, that wouldn't eliminate this problem, you could still get an upkeep tick while you're casting something which reduces energy below the casted skill's required cost, canceling it

The problem here is that the upkeep is prioritized over the casted skill which is something the player never intends.

It's intentional. Everything is consumed at the effective time peak of the skill purpose. I can't really imagine how they would do turn off the upkeep skill because you've pressed something that has yet to be fully rewarding. They assume that the player will do it's best for that not happening, adds a mechanical layer too if anything.

@Shao.7236 said:It's intentional. Everything is consumed at the effective time peak of the skill purpose. I can't really imagine how they would do turn off the upkeep skill because you've pressed something that has yet to be fully rewarding. They assume that the player will do it's best for that not happening, adds a mechanical layer too if anything.

How would you know it's intentional?

I'm all into mechanical depth, but if anything, this breaks the flow of play. And sure it can be played around, but should we have to? Is this a fun mechanic? Does it improve gameplay?

Pretty sure Anet went with the easy way out for themselves which make things more complicated in that regard for the player

A lot of people tend to hate how Jade Winds only consume at the moment of the stun because if it didn't you could swap legends and follow up more smoothly with the other legend already out, but that means losing energy on button press rather than at completion, if you decide to use that skill in a fresh swap and get interrupted that's 50% lost on the fly.

To me personally, I think it adds a careful layer. It also gave me better upkeep habits whenever using Soothing Stone, which is honestly the only skill that really suffers from that. It never really occured to me that any other skills were interrupted by their up keep.

Axe has done it a few times and I learned from it, maybe it just has to do with the server delay? That could be why this problem exist in the first place.

@Shao.7236 said:Pretty sure Anet went with the easy way out for themselves which make things more complicated in that regard for the player

Heh :p well i wanted to propose regardless of what anet's attitude is, worst case scenario is this doesn't go anywhere

A lot of people tend to hate how Jade Winds only consume at the moment of the stun because if it didn't you could swap legends and follow up more smoothly with the other legend already out, but that means losing energy on button press rather than at completion, if you decide to use that skill in a fresh swap and get interrupted that's 50% lost on the fly.

Yeah, this'd not solve that problem unfortunately

To me personally, I think it adds a careful layer. It also gave me better upkeep habits whenever using Soothing Stone, which is honestly the only skill that really suffers from that. It never really occured to me that any other skills were interrupted by their up keep.

It tends to happen on unrelenting assault, shackling waves, and citadel bombardment the most for me, especially the latter.

Axe has done it a few times and I learned from it, maybe it just has to do with the server delay? That could be why this problem exist in the first place.

I'll try to add some footage here later to show an example, it's definitely not a server delay, it seems to be just how energy works.