Special mission: Lies and Statistics

This is the last special mission I have to complete. I'm prefacing my comment by saying that I did the balloon target shooting mini-event in Grothmar loads of times, hit loads of balloons, and in NZ ping. I even got bronze(!) for Shooting Gallery in VB. So I have some practice at using the action cam and small dot in-game.

But, for the life of me, I can hit almost no propaganda balloons in Drizzlewood. Out of around seven events in which I have participated, since I unlocked that mission, I have hit four balloons. Four. I am aiming for the balloons that are in range.

One player gave me the suggestion of having the target white dot slightly ahead of the balloon I want to hit. This has not worked. I can't even hit one balloon when there are a few of them close together.

What am I doing wrong? Clicking on the balloon doesn't seem to lock on a targeting system, like it does in Grothmar.

Perhaps related, I see "miss" coming up quite a bit when trying to shoot the helos in the shoot the bomber helos activity. So much for locked on, heat-seeking missiles. Could the two problems be related?

Finally, I am getting huge random lag spikes on this map. I've seen other players comment about this, too. However, I have not noticed lag spikes during the balloon shooting.

Any tips ?

• 2 weeks later...

I only have 10 counts as of today. I've been doing countless balloons event aswell since the start, but it seems that most of the time I got zero, if I lucky I'll get 1 count in every 5 metas? ><

The white dot was very hard to see as it blends very well with the background, when I do found the dot, the balloon were flew off further away & I had to re-aim, too bad Taco's mouse highlight doesn't align with the dot....

I've also tried the high ground that would bring me closer to the balloons, but still couldn't shoot 1 even if I tried to aim ahead of its path aswell. No matter what method I've tried, this achievement is next to impossible to complete. The event ends too soon, balloons fly off too fast in a small area also doesn't help. At least for the charrzooka it'll automatically aim it for you.

I'm not sure what else can I do to complete this achivement, the event is horrible for people with high ping I guess.

It feels like one of the patch that nerfed EMP damage on structures also reduced the amount of balloons that needs to be shot to complete the event. I completed the achievement on one account before that patch and it did not need to nearly as many events. On my second account I have done a lot more of the event but yet still not completed the achievement. There was one time where I was seemingly doing the event alone(didn't see any other players around and it was late at night) but it ended after what seemed like 2 or 3 balloons.

@Khisanth.2948 said:It feels like one of the patch that nerfed EMP damage on structures also reduced the amount of balloons that needs to be shot to complete the event. I completed the achievement on one account before that patch and it did not need to nearly as many events. On my second account I have done a lot more of the event but yet still not completed the achievement. There was one time where I was seemingly doing the event alone(didn't see any other players around and it was late at night) but it ended after what seemed like 2 or 3 balloons.

Events scale you need less ballons with less people.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:It feels like one of the patch that nerfed EMP damage on structures also reduced the amount of balloons that needs to be shot to complete the event. I completed the achievement on one account before that patch and it did not need to nearly as many events. On my second account I have done a lot more of the event but yet still not completed the achievement. There was one time where I was seemingly doing the event alone(didn't see any other players around and it was late at night) but it ended after what seemed like 2 or 3 balloons.

Yeah but 2 or 3 is pretty ridiculous for an achievement requiring 50 and the event itself gives you 4 or 5 minutes. Even if someone can only shoot down 1 per minute it should not end that quickly.

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:It feels like one of the patch that nerfed EMP damage on structures also reduced the amount of balloons that needs to be shot to complete the event. I completed the achievement on one account before that patch and it did not need to nearly as many events. On my second account I have done a lot more of the event but yet still not completed the achievement. There was one time where I was seemingly doing the event alone(didn't see any other players around and it was late at night) but it ended after what seemed like 2 or 3 balloons.

It doesn't seem to scale upwards, though. With more people, the event simply finishes much faster. The helo bombers one does seem to upscale. The propaganda balloons, nope. It is over so fast that, even calling the event out in map chat, the event often finishes before people get there. Even when there, I did at least two events where I didn't hit a single balloon (apparently you get a bronze medal for participation).

It's so bad that I've advised other players to simply camp the two spots where the event occurs. I've also called out in map chat requesting players who have completed the achievement ignore it so that others get a chance.

The suggestion (not yours, I can't work out how to quote more than one person) "aim in front of them until you hit one" assumes that the player can get off a number of shots. I have been in that event, from the start, when I didn't need to reload because it was over that fast. The worst was when I could only shoot twice, it was that fast.

I wish that instead of a small white dot that gets lost so easily that we could have the option for a red circle & crosshairs. I too have only hit 2 out of all the events I have tried to participate in. half the time I can't find the tiny dot, and yes I did the Grothmar event plenty and did just fine there. Not sure why the difference in difficulty but there absolutely is.

@"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:I wish that instead of a small white dot that gets lost so easily that we could have the option for a red circle & crosshairs. I too have only hit 2 out of all the events I have tried to participate in. half the time I can't find the tiny dot, and yes I did the Grothmar event plenty and did just fine there. Not sure why the difference in difficulty but there absolutely is.I've tried using Taco's mouse highlight as it works amazingly in normal game play, but once the action camera is activated, the idea failed as they just aren't compatible (wouldn't line up to each other).....

The balloon in Groth was far more clear as a target to aim at, they aren't as colourful that it doesn't get blended with the environment too much along with the micro-size white dot. The environment of the shooting range was very clean and pleasant to look at within the event area which you just jump on the pad & start shooting; whereas Drizz's has so much busy features like trees/hill/structures around, they block your view which you'd often need some effort in order to find the right spot to set foot on FIRST before you start shooting.The target also stays there the whole time with visibly long enough aiming range giving you all the time you need to aim it right, the one-shot thing also helps with finishing the count without having to actually re-aim the same target again only to see it failed and lost once it flew off to un-targettable area (which leads to 1st successful hit means nothing in Drizz), most of the time you're able to aim straight ahead without hinderence with plenty of time to work on your aim, there are also plenty of targets for each player to choose from instead of competing with other players for the kills.Groth's balloon event also comes back faster but for Drizz's it spawn only once or twice per meta cycle & you're basically having to wait for at least 1 1/2-2 hrs for the meta to reset.

As for Drizz's, it doesn't aim well from most directions. When you aim from below, you'd constantly need to re-adjust your angle for the 2nd shot for the same balloon when it flies over your head; if you just walk up the stairs part of your vision either get blocked by strutures from certain angle or you aren't standing "middle enough" to get the most out of it; if you choose to go on to the higher ground, having to take the riffle from the lower ground, then climb up higher for better aim, it does take some time and by the time you finally reaches your spot, some quotas already met and you can only aim a few but mostly you'll got zero count due to the event either finishing too fast, having other players stole your kill, or the shot didn't count even if you're sure that you've aimed right; The Gorth's however, is always around the eye level be it further away, or closer to you.The aiming range is also very very short and strange compared to Groth's. You can see that it's coming from a further range, but you can't target nor shoot at it until it reaches the village, and basically when it finally enters your riffle's range, you'll have a very short time-frame to land 2 successful hit, because it flies away too quick. Another issue I've also found that the balloon won't take the hit when it's getting too close (most of the time? either I was imagining things or it really doesn't work), sometimes the "aim-right-shot" didn't actually hit the balloon, not sure if the auto-targetting bug has anything to do with it or due to high ping but basically a lot of misses were there even if you've done everything correctly. You also aren't given enough time to finish off the balloon not like Groth's which I've already described above.

If this whole thing isn't an achivement which demand 50 counts that doesn't even take the aiming issue into consideration, I wouldn't have issue with it be it badly designed or not be enjoyable with the action camera feature. I just wanna tick off achivement and start to enjoy/helping/participating the map events instead of religiously camping at the 2-same spots every single meta only to waste my time and score zero count. To progress this achivement, you'd mostly hoping that the map would abandon/drag the meta but still active enough to keep the 2 corrensponding villages alive, in hoping that the event would spawn again before you're getting too bored to camp there & log off instead, that way you can perhaps get a nice chance of taking down a few balloons with only 1-2 participants, which imo they seriously need to do a lot of tweaks before players has to start sacrificing the meta in order to complete the achivement out of frustration.

On a side note: I still hate to aim with action cam with the "pretending-that-it-doesn't-exist white-dot" but at least Groth's was far more achievable than Drizz's, and it doesn't collide with the interest/progression/participation of the meta.

@Blueberry.8095 said:

@"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:I wish that instead of a small white dot that gets lost so easily that we could have the option for a red circle & crosshairs. I too have only hit 2 out of all the events I have tried to participate in. half the time I can't find the tiny dot, and yes I did the Grothmar event plenty and did just fine there. Not sure why the difference in difficulty but there absolutely is.I've tried using Taco's mouse highlight as it works amazingly in normal game play, but once the action camera is activated, the idea failed as they just aren't compatible (wouldn't line up to each other).....

The balloon in Groth was far more clear as a target to aim at, they aren't as colourful that it doesn't get blended with the environment too much along with the micro-size white dot. The environment of the shooting range was very clean and pleasant to look at within the event area which you just jump on the pad & start shooting; whereas Drizz's has so much busy features like trees/hill/structures around, they block your view which you'd often need some effort in order to find the right spot to set foot on FIRST before you start shooting.

And adding to this, players standing on top of you, and NPCs wandering back and forth obscuring your view, even though you thought you picked an NPC-free area.

There seems to be some "dead zones" in the areas, where no matter how you fire, or when you fire, you will not hit. I noticed this with the helos as well. Pretty much: standing on the top of buildings seems to decrease the probability of hitting the target.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:no problems with the balloons. One has just to learn to lead the target. Just like real life shooting (or certain tank games).I know how to lead a target, the problem is well outlined by @Blueberry.8095 in their post. Personally the hardest part I have is losing the white dot in the background, not the ability to lead the target or lack thereof. Hence my desire for proper crosshairs.