BUG HALTING PROGRESS: Quest: "Roots of Terror"

Ok, so this is the second time in a row this has happened to me on the same character...

I Enter "Roots of Terror" instance. I take a path, kill the chak, talk to the magister, but then when it comes to "Talk to Braham" he just starts following me around like a party follower and after a moment then just stands there and won't interact with me at all. I cannot complete this quest.

Edit: I have reported this via the in game bug report also.

Edit, Edit: After 10 minutes of doing nothing. Not interacting, not talking, just, nothing. he finally started to comment on the chak filled pit and progressed the story. But to have to wait 10 minutes for an npc to prob their dialogue is still ridiculous.

There are some wonky triggers in the cave and it's unfortunately possible to accidentally miss them. There's a few spots that the NPCs seem to have to cross just so, or their dialogue doesn't initiate. In this case, it sounds as if Braham missed a check point inside the tunnels before the chak pit, and that's why his dialogue isn't triggering. It might be possible to return to the start and slowly walk Braham back through.

These issues have been there since HoT launched pretty much, so they aren't "halting progress" so much as just making it horribly annoying to move forward. After encountering the bug a couple of times (relatively few, considering how often I repeated that section), I found it easier just to restart if Braham wasn't cooperating... and avoid trying to speed through the instance too quickly (as is my usual habit).

I'm 99.99% sure that will work for you, even thought it's frustrating to restart.

If your goal is to make sure ANet fixes it, then please be sure to use the in-game /bug reporting tool when you first notice the issue, because that gives the QA team additional diagnostic info they need. Try to be as specific as possible in describing what you did prior to noticing the issue... and what you've done to try to work around it.

And finally, consider not snapping at other players who are just trying to help.

edit: minor corrections to clarify

• Like 1

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:There are some wonky triggers in the cave and it's unfortunately possible to accidentally miss them. There's a few spots that the NPCs seem to have to cross just so, or their dialogue doesn't initiate. In this case, it sounds as if Braham missed a check point inside the tunnels before the chak pit, and that's why his dialogue isn't triggering. It might be possible to return to the start and slowly walk Braham back through.

These issues have been there since HoT launched pretty much, so they aren't "halting progress" so much as just making it horribly annoying to move forward. After encountering the bug a couple of times (relatively few, considering how often I repeated that section), I found it easier just to restart if Braham wasn't cooperating... and avoid trying to speed through the instance too quickly (as is my usual habit).

I'm 99.99% sure that will work for you, even thought it's frustrating to restart.

If your goal is to make sure ANet fixes it, then please be sure to use the in-game /bug reporting tool when you first notice the issue, because that gives the QA team additional diagnostic info they need. Try to be as specific as possible in describing what you did prior to noticing the issue... and what you've done to try to work around it.

And finally, consider not snapping at other players who are just trying to help.

edit: minor corrections to clarify

Thanks mate, you actually had some helpful advice, haven't been back to that quest again since, but will certainly try that out if needs be next time, 3 more toons to run through with. Gotta admit, when I had problems with Braham I did literally just leg it through the dark tunnel, killing a few mobs and out the other side, so that just might have been it.

And yea, I reported it via the in game bug report too, so it should have gone to the devs to look into at least, even if it doesn't get/can't be fixed.

@Wubbbi.8172 said:Well, then go on and figure your issues out by your own. With that attitude I am not going to help you any further in the future. Have fun playing the game, I don't care about your issues!

To be fair dude, you weren't helpful in the first place, you just assumed I hadn't done something exceedingly simple and advised me to do that instead of getting more information on the problem. So next time you want to help someone, presumably not me going on what you said, instead of assuming the simplest answer is the one thing the person requiring help hasn't already done, ask first. Or just give a more highly detailed explanation of potential problems, like the other guy here did. That way you can increase your usefulness to other people in the future. :)

• Like 1

Yea, I get your point, but my point is that instead of assuming someone hasn't tried the absolute simplest solution to a problem and explaining it to them, it's probably best to think of the second solution, or at least ask first. I mean, let's change the topic for a moment, if I was trying to get help to start my car, and explained what was happening, would you assume I hadn't put the key in the ignition? Or even that it was out of fuel? No you'd start by asking what I had tried and only after exhausting other possibilities would you go to something that simple. I'm not trying to say I'm a rocket scienting or particle physicist, but I'm hardly a stupid man either, and it really, REALLY bugs me (Read as "effs me off") when someone assumes I need the simple solution explaining to me.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping because this is still bugged.

Unable to finish Roots of Terror because I can't interact with Braham after defeating the chak at the end, at the "Talk to Braham" step.

The wiki suggests that if you die during the fight, it may bug. I didn't die, and it still bugged. I let Braham finish talking, and it still bugged.

I ran this story a few months ago with a friend, and it also halted at the same spot. Had to restart it.

• 8 months later...

I just encountered the bug twice- both times after going through the dark tunnel. I think it had something to do with Braham not catching up with me in the tunnel, but what brought him back was me needing a revive after I defeated the boss chak and getting into downed state by the minions. He just randomly popped up and started healing me. Talked to the dying magister (RIP) and then went to the edge of the platform overlooking the chak mosh pit where Braham had waddled off to. Stood next to him and he started talking. I don't know if this counts as a workaround or was just pure luck but hey I'm glad to be out of that glitchfest! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran into this bug too. You need to let Braham speak upon entering the cavern where the boss chak is and then also try to get him to engage in the fight. This meant pulling the boss closer to Braham and destroying my clones so Braham would actually take a swipe.

Annoying you can't just charge in there but I hope the above helps others!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2021 at 9:51 AM, Cyprian.2134 said:

I ran into this bug too. You need to let Braham speak upon entering the cavern where the boss chak is and then also try to get him to engage in the fight. This meant pulling the boss closer to Braham and destroying my clones so Braham would actually take a swipe.

Thank you! Will try this.

I can confirm that this bug is still happening on August 1, 2021.

I rushed through the tunnel and killed the chak before Braham could arrive. Talk to Braham wouldn’t enable for me either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/24/2021 at 11:51 AM, Cyprian.2134 said:

The above worked for me. Thanks.

STILL bugged 15 Oct 21.

I sniped the Veteran Chak Blitzer from a distance and killed it before it moved, causing it to bug Baraham. So, as above, draw the Veteran Chak Blitzer to Braham and let him engage it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, this is my first time posting on the GW2 forum. I came specifically looking because I had Braham being bugged and unresponsive. I read people saying lead Braham back through the mission to have him be able to trigger dialogue. For me, my smooth brain said "Jump into the pit next to the magister with all the chak there! You'll die, it will allow you to restart at a checkpoint previous and you can lead Braham back through the path you took." (Of the three paths you can take, I initially took the one with the glowing green patches where you have to go through the dark cave. Also edit here: because I don't actually know what the others paths look like.) However, when I respawned after I threw myself to my imminent death, it bypassed the Braham not responding part and progressed me to the next part of the mission, aka the group gathering to talk and the mission being completed.

I just wanted to add my experience and maybe hopefully yeeting into the pit of death next to the magister helps someone else. 

Cheers!

Edited by SuperSaraaa.9520

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2021 at 4:20 AM, SuperSaraaa.9520 said:

Hello, this is my first time posting on the GW2 forum. I came specifically looking because I had Braham being bugged and unresponsive. I read people saying lead Braham back through the mission to have him be able to trigger dialogue. For me, my smooth brain said "Jump into the pit next to the magister with all the chak there! You'll die, it will allow you to restart at a checkpoint previous and you can lead Braham back through the path you took." (Of the three paths you can take, I initially took the one with the glowing green patches where you have to go through the dark cave. Also edit here: because I don't actually know what the others paths look like.) However, when I respawned after I threw myself to my imminent death, it bypassed the Braham not responding part and progressed me to the next part of the mission, aka the group gathering to talk and the mission being completed.

I just wanted to add my experience and maybe hopefully yeeting into the pit of death next to the magister helps someone else. 

Cheers!

Just want to add that this worked the first time around. I jumped into the pit, far from Braham, got downed, Braham started coming to revive me but I died before. He just stood standing in the middle of the mobs but the dialogue triggered and the story progressed.

Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just ran into this issue while trying to complete Heart of Thorns.

Braham won't interact and won't talk.  You can pull mobs on him and then he'll fight and then he follow you around for a bit. I tried clearing the rest of the cave area with him (including the room full of chak), but then he just stands there and nothing.

Such a waste of time.  His dialogue trigger needs to be looked at.  Especially for a paid expansion quest, it needs to be working correctly.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...