One Dodge Mirage help

Bigpapasmurf.5623

@Moradorin.6217 I see the point you're trying to make and for many years I was building with that mindset. But when you think about it realistically, knowing the current meta at any point in time, you can pretty consistently get accurate odds of pulling off an action and/or guessing what your opponent is playing. When you have that odd, you build around the odds. Highest obv must build for, lowest you either completely ignore to streamline or sack a bit of offense to add contigencies. Still highly situational in any case. I think you've overthinking it. Also the moment you pick Mesmer in WvW you concede zerging so you only have to worry about a roaming spec. :wink:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 I will admit I'm at a loss, the last paragraph really got me confused and really wondering about your playstyle.

We have gw2 combat system, all the manpower in the world, the only reason why WvW sucks is because no1 wants to step up and try to capitalize on the community. There's been a void, back at launch we had the big guilds, the MLG/ESL level guilds, and their leaders driving a goal for the entire server, this is our policy for the next 6 months kinda thing. And people were on board, cuz it gave us a goal to achive, as a unit. But then Mega servers happened and the big diluting started, PvE no longer directly benefited from WvW which essentially turned WvW into a 3rd game mode instead of an extension to Server identity, that no longer existed. So people left, mass exodus, but no one ever filled in the gap to continue to drive the policies. The community has been wandering for far too long. Alliances are defo coming with the Xpac cuz why release it for free. What We want from them is to use it to rebrand the game purpose. Make it about WvW, rebrand into a direct competitor to DaoC Rehash..

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:@Moradorin.6217 I see the point you're trying to make and for many years I was building with that mindset. But when you think about it realistically, knowing the current meta at any point in time, you can pretty consistently get accurate odds of pulling off an action and/or guessing what your opponent is playing. When you have that odd, you build around the odds. Highest obv must build for, lowest you either completely ignore to streamline or sack a bit of offense to add contigencies. Still highly situational in any case. I think you've overthinking it. Also the moment you pick Mesmer in WvW you concede zerging so you only have to worry about a roaming spec. :wink:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 I will admit I'm at a loss, the last paragraph really got me confused and really wondering about your playstyle.

Stay ranged, remember to pop clones and if they get too close, swap , burst and torch 4 to peace out until GS is swapped back. ALmost like a HOLY CRAP button of sorts

We have gw2 combat system, all the manpower in the world, the only reason why WvW sucks is because no1 wants to step up and try to capitalize on the community. There's been a void, back at launch we had the big guilds, the MLG/ESL level guilds, and their leaders driving a goal for the entire server, this is our policy for the next 6 months kinda thing. And people were on board, cuz it gave us a goal to achive, as a unit. But then Mega servers happened and the big diluting started, PvE no longer directly benefited from WvW which essentially turned WvW into a 3rd game mode instead of an extension to Server identity, that no longer existed. So people left, mass exodus, but no one ever filled in the gap to continue to drive the policies. The community has been wandering for far too long. Alliances are defo coming with the Xpac cuz why release it for free. What We want from them is to use it to rebrand the game purpose. Make it about WvW, rebrand into a direct competitor to DaoC Rehash..

Alliances = soon xD

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:@Moradorin.6217 I see the point you're trying to make and for many years I was building with that mindset. But when you think about it realistically, knowing the current meta at any point in time, you can pretty consistently get accurate odds of pulling off an action and/or guessing what your opponent is playing. When you have that odd, you build around the odds. Highest obv must build for, lowest you either completely ignore to streamline or sack a bit of offense to add contigencies. Still highly situational in any case. I think you've overthinking it. Also the moment you pick Mesmer in WvW you concede zerging so you only have to worry about a roaming spec. :wink:

Stay ranged, remember to pop clones and if they get too close, swap , burst and torch 4 to peace out until GS is swapped back. ALmost like a HOLY kitten button of sorts

Alliances = soon xD

there's a $30 price tag on Alliances and it's called Xpac. It'll also be the lowest selling Xpac to date, because ppl that quit back then got old and don't have the time of day to play games, unless they make money off 'em. And kids nowadays are all about that Fortnite battle royale stuff.

Edit: If they offer a kickrear battle royale alternative to conquest and if the implementation is seemless, we might just be talking about resurgence.

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:@"Bigpapasmurf.5623"As someone else pointed out above, the state Mirage is in now, you are FORCED to invest in sustain to be able to be viable. You can't run offensive lines and gear and expect to succeed. For your setup PU and swapping IA for SoM is the only workable solution. Yes you will be sluggish as hell, that's the price you're gonna have to pay if you want that "top" burst. Note: My advice and I do mean this, drop power altogether, go condi. I spike more burst with my condi spec than I do with either my Cele or Mara builds.

Point 2: I went back and I'm going over the build right now. I have to ask, isn't Domination strictly better than Illusions? In your setup you get 0 benefit from the extra confusion, having the clone on stealth really isn't streamlined to make it even remotely a consideration. You have plenty of finishing power after the bomb with Ax/T so there's really no need to have Shatter Storm, unless you really don't trust yourself on the trigger and need a failsafe. MoF is obviously great, but again, you only really gain on your f1, f3 with it. Swaping to Dom compliments your GS, gets you better might generation, strips boons like nuts. Roaming is a boon game, and whoever procs the most protection, usually wins. Being able to strip it is insane profit for your small roaming party.Solo roaming without tagging along with other roamers is just not a feasible practice anymore. Even thieves roam in pairs now almost exclusively.

Point 3: I noticed you run Evasive Mirror, what's the design choice behind that one? We all know reflects break stealth (cuz ANET didn't code an exception to it). So isn't it then, more cohesive with the build options to go for Blinding Dissipation? That way you get some actual value out of your f2 on a full power setup, a lot of people discount the quad proc blind, as a purely defensive option, it can save your life just as much as f4 on half the CD. Esp since you don't run Sword, :wink:

Edit: @"Curunen.8729" Hi! :lol:Reserved for more points as my mind works in chaotic and mysterious ways.

I checked in to see notifications in a massive quote chain, lol.

May as well contribute my 2 penneth worth.

By "DPS" assuming you just mean "pure power" as opposed to "hybrid" or "pure condi" (given they all essentially deal damage).

You can get away with hybrid leaning towards more power with GS and Axe, with obvious tradeoffs - but the main problem with this set combo is mobility. That along with one dodge means you'd need a pet support/distraction for anything more than a 1v1-3 (depending on opponents of course). I have one build/equipment template on a GS + Axe/Focus build, which has its situational uses but I would swap to a different template if merrily running about solo.

Regarding mobility - Axe with Greatsword suffers from only untargeted mobility coming from utilities or passive (banners/swiftness/focus from inventory, etc). On the other hand, Staff complements Axe well because Phase Retreat makes up for Axe's limited untargeted mobility (Sword of course also complements Axe for players who prefer that double melee build style).

But on the flipside, Sword ambush makes up for Greatsword's nonexistant mobility, and allows kiting potential that Axe can't compete with (though in my opinion Axe has the upper hand in raw in fight pressure).

There is another meme possibility of going back old school double ranged GS+Staff, though again would need a hybrid setup to make the most of both ambushes - could probably might stack pretty well with the right build.

@Curunen.8729 said:

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:@"Bigpapasmurf.5623"As someone else pointed out above, the state Mirage is in now, you are FORCED to invest in sustain to be able to be viable. You can't run offensive lines and gear and expect to succeed. For your setup PU and swapping IA for SoM is the only workable solution. Yes you will be sluggish as hell, that's the price you're gonna have to pay if you want that "top" burst. Note: My advice and I do mean this, drop power altogether, go condi. I spike more burst with my condi spec than I do with either my Cele or Mara builds.

Point 2: I went back and I'm going over the build right now. I have to ask, isn't Domination strictly better than Illusions? In your setup you get 0 benefit from the extra confusion, having the clone on stealth really isn't streamlined to make it even remotely a consideration. You have plenty of finishing power after the bomb with Ax/T so there's really no need to have Shatter Storm, unless you really don't trust yourself on the trigger and need a failsafe. MoF is obviously great, but again, you only really gain on your f1, f3 with it. Swaping to Dom compliments your GS, gets you better might generation, strips boons like nuts. Roaming is a boon game, and whoever procs the most protection, usually wins. Being able to strip it is insane profit for your small roaming party.Solo roaming without tagging along with other roamers is just not a feasible practice anymore. Even thieves roam in pairs now almost exclusively.

Point 3: I noticed you run Evasive Mirror, what's the design choice behind that one? We all know reflects break stealth (cuz ANET didn't code an exception to it). So isn't it then, more cohesive with the build options to go for Blinding Dissipation? That way you get some actual value out of your f2 on a full power setup, a lot of people discount the quad proc blind, as a purely defensive option, it can save your life just as much as f4 on half the CD. Esp since you don't run Sword, :wink:

Edit: @Curunen.8729 Hi! :lol:
Reserved for more points as my mind works in chaotic and mysterious ways.

I checked in to see notifications in a massive quote chain, lol.

May as well contribute my 2 penneth worth.

By "DPS" assuming you just mean "pure power" as opposed to "hybrid" or "pure condi" (given they all essentially deal damage).

You can get away with hybrid leaning towards more power with GS and Axe, with obvious tradeoffs - but the main problem with this set combo is mobility. That along with one dodge means you'd need a pet support/distraction for anything more than a 1v1-3 (depending on opponents of course). I have one build/equipment template on a GS + Axe/Focus build, which has its situational uses but I would swap to a different template if merrily running about solo.

Regarding mobility - Axe with Greatsword suffers from only untargeted mobility coming from utilities or passive (banners/swiftness/focus from inventory, etc). On the other hand, Staff complements Axe well because Phase Retreat makes up for Axe's limited untargeted mobility (Sword of course also complements Axe for players who prefer that double melee build style).

But on the flipside, Sword ambush makes up for Greatsword's nonexistant mobility, and allows kiting potential that Axe can't compete with (though in my opinion Axe has the upper hand in raw in fight pressure).

There is another meme possibility of going back old school double ranged GS+Staff, though again would need a hybrid setup to make the most of both ambushes - could probably might stack pretty well with the right build.

Ranged and mobility are key for me (detargeting helps). Im still not 100% convinced on my 2nd wep set should be (GS is def staying). I liek the torch and the stealth from it. The focus has the pull which is useful as well. Staff's damage is a bit lackluster, scepter is a bit clunky but the channel attack does decent DPS damage and the block helps (for 1 hit).