WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets

Taobella.6597

@"XenesisII.1540" said:Cue the "I have 20k tickets all legendary armors and nothing to spend tickets on" person in..5...4..3.

Well I have 16k, not 20, but you're right, still got nothing to spend em on. And now I've got a bank full of stupid Emblem of Avengers. GW2 is just a game filled with dead currencies.., I don't really mind if they bump up the ticket gain, I will admit that as a devoted WvW player it still took me a while to get all the tickets I needed for my legendary gear. And nothing feels than by having to log on to play even if you're not feeling it, but you have to because its a cap on how much you can earn. Personally, I just wish there were more sinks in WvW. Where is our WvW infusion and WvW chair?!

But anyway, its never going to happen. I think it'd be more likely they'd add tickets as a reward of some kind onece a week achievement to EotM before bumping up the weekly cap.

The philosphical question here is... not enough for what?

What is it that cost more than 350 tickets and that you need to buy every week?

Because if you cant answer that, then it's enough. Getting enough claim tickets for whatever you wish to purchase is only a matter of time - more time than a week.

@Dawdler.8521 said:The philosphical question here is... not enough for what?

Because if you cant answer that, then it's enough. Getting enough claim tickets for whatever you wish to purchase is only a matter of time - more time than a week.

Depends on how you spend them, what modes you play, etc.I have 1 of each class, and because the wvw trinkets are easily stat changeable, I have a set for each. 2 sets for a few of them.175 tickets for 1 accessory, 260 for a pendant, and 350 for a ring. Each character needs 2 accessories and 2 rings. 1310 tickets per toon.Legendary back piece, 2800 (yeah, did it once, not doing it again)Conflux, 1850 tickets, (only did it once, already had the ring, otherwise it would be +350 for that)Legendary armor, currently only have light and medium sets, may work on heavy eventually, but only have about 4k tickets, so a ways to go.Armor sets are 7880 a set, or 9190 for the mistforged.

I can get how people get frustrated with the rate of acquisition.

1. Wvw veterans got a major free pass on the amount of pips they earned from day one of the skirmish rewards, they have no place to complain about having all those tickets and full on ascended or legendaries.

2. Every single currency in the game has a limited amount of things to buy, yet there's a ton of stuff to buy off the skirmish vendor, ascended weapons armor trinkets, mistforged armor skins, mist lord weapon skins, obsidian weapon skins, infusions, legendary backpiece, conflux, legendary armor upgrade, siege, tactics, decorations, tricks and traps. If you got all the rewards, then great congrats on beating the wvw reward game with your headstart!

3. Not everyone gets 13-17 pips a tick. It takes years now to get decent wvw levels to get decent amount of pips, they have to in most cases put in more time to level and get through the skirmish track per week, meanwhile old vets got easier leveling back in the day when wvw had twice or more population with more zergs running around the clock, and the chance to just ktrain eotm for easy levels.

4. A +1 ticket per repeat track ain't going to do much for a vet sitting on a bank of tickets, but maybe it'll help out the lower wvw level people who don't have a chance to get easier levels these days yet have to put in twice the time to get through the track to catch up for lost time.

5. This game mode is extra tough on new accounts, more so with dwindling population, which frankly is kinda stupid and really should try to promote and get players committed to wvw by relaxing the exp on the first 1500 wvw levels or so, which covers the wvw masteries and a couple pieces of mistforged armor and 3/7 pips from wvw levels.

If we're going to have a cap on tickets like we do, the pip acquisition needs to be bumped up drastically for lower rank players. It's bad enough it takes like 20+ weeks of getting diamond every week to have enough to make legendary armor, assuming you don't spend them on anything else, but if you're a lower rank player, it can take up to over 24hours of playtime a week at 5 pips per tick, which is about what lower leveled players can expect to get. Even assuming you got outnumbered pips on every tick, or just got 10 pips every tick in general, you're still looking at 12hours a week just to get to diamond. When getting diamond the previous week does literally nothing for the next week, you're looking at a real slog.

The idea that this kind of time gating prevents burnout is just wrong, it directly contributes to it because of the time it takes to reach the cap and the trickle you're given tickets early on. It means that if you want to make legendary armor is less than a year, you have to dedicate an absolutely ridiculous amount of time just because of skirmish tickets.

If they want to cap tickets, increase pip gains across the board or increase ticket gains from lower tier chests. Alternatively, remove the cap so people who want to grind as many tickets as they want can. It hurts literally no one either way.

We should get an extra mystic coin per bonus Diamond Track.

Angry PvE noises Inc

In all seriousness, I think bumping it to 400 would be nice. A lot of people including myself don't reach diamond every week, so if people wanna no-life it a bit more, I have no trouble with that.

Btw I actually spend my tickets.

Would just be better for them to make a dedicated WvW track for them to be honest. Keeps people from AFK'ing for longer stretches of matchups to get the pips. People get in, blob for a while, get their stuff, and leave if they don't want to be there, instead of taking a spot for weeks at a time.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:If we're going to have a cap on tickets like we do, the pip acquisition needs to be bumped up drastically for lower rank players. It's bad enough it takes like 20+ weeks of getting diamond every week to have enough to make legendary armor, assuming you don't spend them on anything else, but if you're a lower rank player, it can take up to over 24hours of playtime a week at 5 pips per tick, which is about what lower leveled players can expect to get. Even assuming you got outnumbered pips on every tick, or just got 10 pips every tick in general, you're still looking at 12hours a week just to get to diamond. When getting diamond the previous week does literally nothing for the next week, you're looking at a real slog.

The idea that this kind of time gating prevents burnout is just wrong, it directly contributes to it because of the time it takes to reach the cap and the trickle you're given tickets early on. It means that if you want to make legendary armor is less than a year, you have to dedicate an absolutely ridiculous amount of time just because of skirmish tickets.

If they want to cap tickets, increase pip gains across the board or increase ticket gains from lower tier chests. Alternatively, remove the cap so people who want to grind as many tickets as they want can. It hurts literally no one either way.

This 100%. The way the ticket cap, pip system, and ticket placement within the skirmish chests interact doesn't reduce burnout. It directly contributes to it. As mentioned above, even assuming you can reach the ticket cap each week, you're looking at 20+ weeks for a set of legendary armor or about 6 weeks for Slumbering Conflux. There's no way to catch up or to reduce that time. Bad matchup? Too bad. I guess you're spending more time in WvW this week. Great matchup? Too bad. You can still only get 365 tickets a week.

But to get those 365 tickets, even with 5 pips per tick (which isn't incredibly difficult, provided you reach at least rank 150 and maintain your Commitment pip), you're still looking at 24 hours and 10 minutes of WvW every single week. That's 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, week after week, in order to get enough tickets for whatever it is you're going for. You're able to reduce this to an extent by being in a higher placed server (which has more to do with your server's coverage at a given time than anything else), by being a higher rank (your next pip comes at rank 620, and then at 1395, so you're looking at an exponentially increasing time investment there), or by finding an outnumbered map and taking camps, herding yaks, or defending/repairing structures that are under attack, but there's only so much you can do, and you're still restricted to 365 tickets.

And then there's how the tickets are distributed into the skirmish chests themselves. Of the 365 total tickets for the week, 90 of them are tossed into the Diamond chests. If you stop short of Mithril, that's an additional 83 tickets every single week that you're missing out on. In other words, by skipping the last two sets of chests each week, you'd be cutting your weekly ticket gains almost in half. Those 20+ weeks to get a full set of legendary armor? They're now 40+.

The kicker in all of this is that one of the major draws of being a higher rank or being on a server that does better in the skirmish is that you get more pips and finish the skirmish track faster. This means that those on the higher end are getting tickets faster than they can find something to do with them (and then not getting much else from repeating the diamond chests), and those on the lower end are basically working a part-time job trying to reach the cap each week.

All in all, if the goal of the system is to reduce burnout, it's not doing a good job of it. In any event, I've got one more week until I finish the last piece of my medium legendary armor, and then another few weeks for Conflux. After that, I'm probably going to take some time to see what the game is like when I'm not spending 20 hours a week, every single week, chasing skirmish tickets.

Edit: To be clear, it's not that I don't enjoy WvW. I generally do. Or did? It's just, with as much time as goes into trying to max the weekly skirmish track, it's truly beginning to feel like the rest of the game is passing me by, and it's getting to be especially draining. In any case, it's one of those things that should probably change somehow, but also probably won't.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:The philosphical question here is... not enough for what?

Yep and thats what people cannot seem to wrap their heads around.

It's a measure of time dedicated not a measure of "wealth". People that have more wealth than tickets and complain about it are not worthy of the rewards gated behind them.

I'd think they need to scrap grandmaster mark shards completely (as I mentioned multiple times here) before even thinking of adding skirmish tickets.There's no reason a currency-like item should take inventory space for close to a month, they ought to just be grandmaster marks outright given the time needed to earn them.

With the current 365 ticket cap, you could get a weapon or any armor piece except for mistforged chest/legpiece in one week.

@Bright Oblivion.2856 said:

@"CutesySylveon.8290" said:If we're going to have a cap on tickets like we do, the pip acquisition needs to be bumped up drastically for lower rank players. It's bad enough it takes like 20+ weeks of getting diamond
every week
to have enough to make legendary armor, assuming you don't spend them on anything else, but if you're a lower rank player, it can take up to over 24hours of playtime a week at 5 pips per tick, which is about what lower leveled players can expect to get. Even assuming you got outnumbered pips on every tick, or just got 10 pips every tick in general, you're still looking at 12hours a week just to get to diamond. When getting diamond the previous week does literally nothing for the next week, you're looking at a real slog.

This 100%. The way the ticket cap, pip system, and ticket placement within the skirmish chests interact doesn't reduce burnout. It directly contributes to it. As mentioned above, even assuming you can reach the ticket cap each week, you're looking at 20+ weeks for a set of legendary armor or about 6 weeks for Slumbering Conflux. There's no way to catch up or to reduce that time. Bad matchup? Too bad. I guess you're spending more time in WvW this week. Great matchup? Too bad. You can still only get 365 tickets a week.

But to get those 365 tickets, even with 5 pips per tick (which isn't incredibly difficult, provided you reach at least rank 150 and maintain your Commitment pip), you're still looking at 24 hours and 10 minutes of WvW every single week. That's 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, week after week, in order to get enough tickets for whatever it is you're going for. You're able to reduce this to an extent by being in a higher placed server (which has more to do with your server's coverage at a given time than anything else), by being a higher rank (your next pip comes at rank 620, and then at 1395, so you're looking at an exponentially increasing time investment there), or by finding an outnumbered map and taking camps, herding yaks, or defending/repairing structures that are under attack, but there's only so much you can do, and you're still restricted to 365 tickets.

And then there's how the tickets are distributed into the skirmish chests themselves. Of the 365 total tickets for the week, 90 of them are tossed into the Diamond chests. If you stop short of Mithril, that's an additional 83 tickets every single week that you're missing out on. In other words, by skipping the last two sets of chests each week, you'd be cutting your weekly ticket gains almost in half. Those 20+ weeks to get a full set of legendary armor? They're now 40+.

The kicker in all of this is that one of the major draws of being a higher rank or being on a server that does better in the skirmish is that you get more pips and finish the skirmish track faster. This means that those on the higher end are getting tickets faster than they can find something to do with them (and then not getting much else from repeating the diamond chests), and those on the lower end are basically working a part-time job trying to reach the cap each week.

All in all, if the goal of the system is to reduce burnout, it's not doing a good job of it. In any event, I've got one more week until I finish the last piece of my medium legendary armor, and then another few weeks for Conflux. After that, I'm probably going to take some time to see what the game is like when I'm not spending 20 hours a week, every single week, chasing skirmish tickets.

Edit: To be clear, it's not that I don't enjoy WvW. I generally do. Or did? It's just, with as much time as goes into trying to max the weekly skirmish track, it's truly beginning to feel like the rest of the game is passing me by, and it's getting to be especially draining. In any case, it's one of those things that should probably change somehow, but also probably won't.

They already buffed base pips, they buffed skirmish tickets / week (it used to be 175). If this is another "give low rank ppl stuff faster so they can just get their shinies already" argument, I will disagree. You like wvw? Chances are you're well above silver rank. Don't like it/rewards take too long for leggy armor? Do raids. Ten weeks for the first set, twenty for each set after that. "but I am new here, pips too low, ma shinies!" That's why people afk in outnumbered maps and cap a sentry every 5 mins or a camp every 10 mins. Good matchup or not, even someone who gets 5 base pips plus another 5 from outnumbered is effectively diamond rank in pipgain. Yes, it is natural for people who committed to the mode to get rewards faster. This is a game, not a full time job. Wvw leggy armor is the EZ MODE armor. If you feel burnt out, do what you actually enjoy.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@"CutesySylveon.8290" said:If we're going to have a cap on tickets like we do, the pip acquisition needs to be bumped up drastically for lower rank players. It's bad enough it takes like 20+ weeks of getting diamond
every week
to have enough to make legendary armor, assuming you don't spend them on anything else, but if you're a lower rank player, it can take up to over 24hours of playtime a week at 5 pips per tick, which is about what lower leveled players can expect to get. Even assuming you got outnumbered pips on every tick, or just got 10 pips every tick in general, you're still looking at 12hours a week just to get to diamond. When getting diamond the previous week does literally nothing for the next week, you're looking at a real slog.

They already buffed base pips, they buffed skirmish tickets / week (it used to be 175). If this is another "give low rank ppl stuff faster so they can just get their shinies already" argument, I will disagree. You like wvw? Chances are you're well above silver rank. Don't like it/rewards take too long for leggy armor? Do raids. Ten weeks for the first set, twenty for each set after that. "but I am new here, pips too low, ma shinies!" That's why people afk in outnumbered maps and cap a sentry every 5 mins or a camp every 10 mins. Good matchup or not, even someone who gets 5 base pips plus another 5 from outnumbered is effectively diamond rank in pipgain. Yes, it is natural for people who committed to the mode to get rewards faster. This is a game, not a full time job. Wvw leggy armor is the EZ MODE armor. If you feel burnt out, do what you actually enjoy.

Looking at sustained pip gain, even if you spend a lot of time in WvW outnumbered maps you will see a solid % increase in pip gain speed per rank.

Assuming you get 12 per tick you are looking at 121 ticks to max. Adding in just one more point at this fairly decent level gives you the same in 112 ticks. So you save 45 minutes of gameplay to max the base reward chests.

But, now let’s assume you aren’t getting 12 pips per tick average but rather a more modest 9. Now you are looking at 162 ticks to reach the cap. Going from 9 to 10 per tick is 145, or a savings of 85 minutes of gameplay. That’s the same per tick increase but a lot more has been saved by virtue of ticking more often.

And that’s before we consider how many points a more leveled Mithril gets over a Bronze. If a similarly situated Bronze player gets 10, the Mithril player gets 14. 145 ticks for Bronze and 104 for Mithril. That’s 28% less time to max out. That adds up to nearly 3.5 hours less time required.

@saerni.2584 said:

every week

Looking at sustained pip gain, even if you spend a lot of time in WvW outnumbered maps you will see a solid % increase in pip gain speed per rank.

Assuming you get 12 per tick you are looking at 121 ticks to max. Adding in just one more point at this fairly decent level gives you the same in 112 ticks. So you save 45 minutes of gameplay to max the base reward chests.

But, now let’s assume you aren’t getting 12 pips per tick average but rather a more modest 9. Now you are looking at 162 ticks to reach the cap. Going from 9 to 10 per tick is 145, or a savings of 85 minutes of gameplay. That’s the same per tick increase but a lot more has been saved by virtue of ticking more often.

And that’s before we consider how many points a more leveled Mithril gets over a Bronze. If a similarly situated Bronze player gets 10, the Mithril player gets 14. 145 ticks for Bronze and 104 for Mithril. That’s 28% less time to max out. That adds up to nearly 3.5 hours less time required.

Do we also calculate the difference in playtime a mithril player has spent compared to a bronze player?

@Voltekka.2375 said:

every week

Do we also calculate the difference in playtime a mithril player has spent compared to a bronze player?

The point was less that it’s unfair to reward vets but to highlight how much the difference is. The veteran player can play more casually and the newer player must play a lot more WvW per week to complete the max tier (where most of the tickets are).

A brand new player will probably earn 1 (wood) + 4 (average for placement in skirmish). Let’s give them outnumbered half the time. So 7.5 earning rate. That’s a little over 16 hours of time start to finish. That’s a big grind for someone just starting out in the game mode to commit to.

I’m not saying that the vets (I’m one of them) don’t deserve some reward. I’m just more inclined generally to believe that being super high ranked should come with a modest reward (better skins and slightly faster earning rates) than a big reward. Ascended is a small bonus over exotics. Legendary are just stat swapping ascended. Guild Wars 2 shouldn’t reward grind with a Major statistical advantage imo.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

every week

This mindset right here is why we can't keep players in the game mode. It's already bad we have absolutely no semblance of balance, which I'm not faulting Anet for in this situation because it will never be balanced with PvE stats freely accessible, but we have a specific set of people who act as if new players should be forced to endure the years of shallow rewards we had for years. It's not 'Give new players their shinies faster', it's give them incentive to actually get those shinies without farming outnumbered maps on a regular basis. Or alternatively, remove the cap on tickets so they can farm to their hearts content and add more things to spend them on for people with a lot.

I've already laid out an estimate on how long it takes to make legendary armor assuming diamond every week, and an estimated time to get diamond every week. If you're response to that is 'Do raids', then congratulations on encouraging players to go to a different game mode for what they want, I'm sure that will make them play WvW more.

Changing this would be a positive all around for newer players and have zero negative impact on vets, but for some reason, WvW is full of people that treat new players like a bad thing and not what we need to not become completely dead.

I found just playing wvw for the sake of playing wvw gave all the tickets I needed. If you go in with the premise that you are there for the rewards you are not really who these rewards were designed for. If they were designed in the way some people wanted them, Anet might as well have put them in champ bags rofl. I say that and at the same time just karma training will get you skirmish tickets over time too...interesting...