New Player?

Ive put maybe 2-3hrs into this game from launch and I finally want to play this game full time. Im burnt on other mmos and this game has always been something i wanted to get into.

Any tips like what class I should roll, what server I should go to etc?

I know I could google alot of this but just curious for this time period what do people recommend.

Thank you

You should choose class what you like and what kind of way you wanna play. Also it depense little bit what kind of gameplay? PvE, PvP or WvW?Most of classes works just fine in Open World PvE. But some other content may favor certain classes. Guardian is pretty safe choise.

@"LofiNick.7014" said:Ive put maybe 2-3hrs into this game from launch and I finally want to play this game full time. Im burnt on other mmos and this game has always been something i wanted to get into.

Any tips like what class I should roll, what server I should go to etc?

I know I could google alot of this but just curious for this time period what do people recommend.

Thank you

There's this: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72254/a-leveling-guide-early-builds-and-tips#latest

Welcome (back) to Tyria.

The short answer is there's no way to make a wrong decision with either of these things, so you don't need to worry about it and just do what seems right to you.

Your server is only important for World vs. World, and then it's debatable which are the best choices or even how to make a good choice. Unless you're expecting to play a lot of WvW you don't need to worry about it. For all other areas of the game maps are shared between all servers in a region (NA or EU) so you'll be able to meet and play with anyone, no matter which server you're on.

As for professions it really depends on what you find fun. There are no genuinely unplayable professions in this game (note: if you check the profession sub-forums you can easily come away with the impression they're all unplayable and in dire need of a huge range of buffs...but also all the other professions are over-powered and need to be nerfed). There are some professions which are considered easier to learn or play, or simpler at low levels, but personally I tend to find easy to play builds are also dull. I'd rather struggle through learning something which is difficult but fun than force myself to play something I find dull just because other people say it's easy.

So my advice is to check out the descriptions, make a few characters for different professions which appeal to you and see how they go, then decide which one/s you want to stick with. Once you get out of the tutorial and you're level 2 you can use the PvP menu to go to the Heart of the Mists where you'll be level 80 and have (PvP versions of) all your skills available, so that can be a quick way to get a sense of what a profession can offer. If you buy Path of Fire you'll also get a level 80 boost which lets you try out the character at level 80 in a PvE map (and you don't use the boost until after that, so you can use one boost to try out several professions), but I wouldn't do that just to choose a profession, only if you actually want to buy the expansions.

1. Just use whatever class you find most interesting. It doesn't matter all that much, despite some of them being better than others for different things, you can adapt most classes in this game to suit whatever play style you prefer. It's more about how well you know and play your class rather than how "good" it is for a specific purpose. Plus, leveling in GW2 is super fast so it's not like you would feel restricted to continuing with a specific class if you halfway through max level feel like it isn't for you. That being said, Mesmer and Elementalist tend to be a little bit harder to play for new players but if you are used to other MMOs it shouldn't be much of an issue.

2. As for server it doesn't really matter as the game uses mega servers so you can still play with your friends on another server.

Don't stress too much about picking a strong class etc. Pick something you enjoy playing. Unlike other MMOs, GW2 really prioritizes horizontal gear progression, so if you do decide to change professions, you can always swap gear between toons, given they are the same armor type.