Fractals: That Jellyfish Beast

I know this is a minor gripe, but I really dislike the Aquatic Ruins Fractal. Specifically the boss fight. I know that you're supposed to lure the boss into the electrified cages, but this mechanic just doesn't work. It takes too long to pull the boss to any of the cages to make this strategy worthwhile, and usually by the time the boss gets there, the cage is no longer electrified and another is on the other side of the arena. So every group that does this fractal just uses DPS on the boss and ignores the electrified cage mechanic entirely.

Two minor changes could easily fix this. First of all, don't cycle the cage until the boss has hit one. Just keep the same cage electrified, and only after luring the boss into it, should a different cage activate. Secondly, make the boss chase a player more actively, and put an aggro marker on the player so we know who it is chasing. This would also make the boss a little more of a challenge. Right now it just spins a lot in place, not doing much of anything.

Optionally, the boss could even have a new phase where luring it into the electrified cages, is required to make it vulnerable. But this is provided that the cage mechanics overall are improved first.

The Jellyfish is now stationary after the changes in Aquatic Fractal. The boss will occasionally eat a player nearby in which affected player need to use Struggle to break free. The boss will be vulnerable(debuff) if successful, taking extra damage for a period. Do take note the boss can and will also eat nearby pets/minions instead of a player, not sure if its intended thus lose out a chance to inflict it with "vulnerable debuff".

It's still the same HP sponge boss for many, hardly any group moves the boss before the change. Just with the new changes, players need to kill 1-2-3 channeling kraits at 75%, 50%, 25% respectively. Inflicting "Vulnerable debuff" does speed things up. Pros and cons for having pets/minnions up during the encounter.

• 1 month later...

@"Eramonster.2718" said:It's still the same HP sponge boss for many, hardly any group moves the boss before the change. Just with the new changes, players need to kill 1-2-3 channeling kraits at 75%, 50%, 25% respectively. Inflicting "Vulnerable debuff" does speed things up. Pros and cons for having pets/minnions up during the encounter.

The other big difference is that it no longer has a breakbar which means you don't get the additional dps against a cc'd boss.

The cage mechanic was not a thing for this fractal ever since the rework of the underwater skills years back. The amount of area damage available now simply made it unnecessary.

The "recent" rework completely removed the cage mechanic by making:A.) the boss stationaryB.) introducing fixed enemy spawn points every 25% boss life

The main issue with this fight today, which is exasperated by specific instabilities like boon overload, afflicted, No pain No gain, etc., is the reliance on providing boons to group while at the same time often requiring massive amounts of boon removal from enemies. Both of which are not available to many classes. For example, while the Firebrigade composition can easily apply boons underwater and deal with enemy boons, the other alacrity+quickness+might+fury support comp of druid+chrono can not, in part because chrono wells do not work underwater.

Overall the rework made this fractal more annoying, more tedious, less balanced for all class compositions and overall just less fun. The only upside to this fractal is the fact that it is rather rare as T4 daily fractal and recommended (it shows up 1nce in the 15 day rotation for either, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists).

Its sad how a lot of people hate underwater combat, I think its really cool and this was super well implemented for a mmorpg.However, I have to agree that this boss is more annoying after the rework, but the annoying part is the phases that occur every 25%. I've never struggled against this boss other than just being a health sponge. but I guess a lot of people doesnt care about underwater and don't prepare gear for it and thats why this fractal is so loathed., not everyone ends with 10k dps or above because they all wear masterwork underwater gear lol. which spirals undefinitely into more and more people disliking this kind of content.

I lowkey expect next expansion will feature more underwater content so people gets more accostumed to it, the meta nowadays consists of rotations and playstyles on land to the point forcing people to play somewhere outside that comfort zone causes them to be unnecessarily annoyed.

@Jables.4659 said:

@"Eramonster.2718" said:It's still the same HP sponge boss for many, hardly any group moves the boss before the change. Just with the new changes, players need to kill 1-2-3 channeling kraits at 75%, 50%, 25% respectively. Inflicting "Vulnerable debuff" does speed things up. Pros and cons for having pets/minnions up during the encounter.

The other big difference is that it no longer has a breakbar which means you don't get the additional dps against a cc'd boss.

It has a new vulnerable phased after a player breaks free with Struggle. Vaguely remembered it with a break bar, but doubt it will a big difference in DPS with how underwater combat work. Effecting boons, traits, weapon skill and damage and with most underwater weapon swapping doesn't synergize (Weapon 1 lean more on power, while weapon swap 2 favours condi).

@Wolfb.7025 said:Its sad how a lot of people hate underwater combat, I think its really cool and this was super well implemented for a mmorpg.

The other day I was in WvW on my scrapper and had to dive underwater, and I noticed my utilities were all wrong. The reason was because my aquatic build/utilities had remained unchanged since before the patch in April 2019, when Gyros were made available for use underwater.

ANET has come far, but there are still plenty of utilities that just do not work underwater, to say nothing of how they handle ground targeted AoEs like wells.

People don't hate underwater combat for no reason - they hate it because it came out half-baked, and even in 2020, some of the dough is still RAW! (sorry, been watching Hell's Kitchen during the lockdown)

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Wolfb.7025 said:Its sad how a lot of people hate underwater combat, I think its really cool and this was super well implemented for a mmorpg.People don't hate underwater combat for no reason - they hate it because it came out half-baked, and even in 2020, some of the dough is still RAW! (sorry, been watching Hell's Kitchen during the lockdown)From someone that played MHTri, another game featuring underwater combat that came 3-4 years before, I can say GW2 underwater combat is not half-bad as people paint it to be. People hate it because its not the same freedom and speed as the combat on land, and its very understandable, but when it comes to how it was implemented, its good enough.

Again, lowkey want anet to make underwater content for the next expansion and they starting trying to exploit the potential of it. although I very much know its gonna end up in a forum-rant disaster from 4/5 the playerbase.

@Wolfb.7025 said:

@Wolfb.7025 said:Its sad how a lot of people hate underwater combat, I think its really cool and this was super well implemented for a mmorpg.People don't hate underwater combat for no reason - they hate it because it came out half-baked, and even in 2020, some of the dough is still RAW! (sorry, been watching Hell's Kitchen during the lockdown)From someone that played MHTri, another game featuring underwater combat that came 3-4 years before, I can say GW2 underwater combat is not half-bad as people paint it to be. People hate it because its not the same freedom and speed as the combat on land, and its very understandable, but when it comes to how it was implemented, its good enough.

I hate it because tons of skills don't work underwater and a bunch of the weapon skills have little to no synergy with the classes/specs they are on. You can compare it to as many different games as you want but none of that matters. In the context of gw2 combat, underwater combat is trash.

• 2 weeks later...

My only problem with this Fractal is when it has the Afflicted instability, when the boss goes invincible he constantly pump a huge AoE damage in the entire arena, and this damage procs Afflicted, so you get bombarded with tons of condi and no ammount of cleanse will save you from it (especially in pugs), very annoying.

They could remove this instability from this Fractal or fix it so the AoE doesn't proc it.

Tough i dunno if this has already been fixed or anything, been a month already i stopped doing Fractals.

@Brandon Uzumaki.1524 said:My only problem with this Fractal is when it has the Afflicted instability, when the boss goes invincible he constantly pump a huge AoE damage in the entire arena, and this damage procs Afflicted, so you get bombarded with tons of condi and no ammount of cleanse will save you from it (especially in pugs), very annoying.

They could remove this instability from this Fractal or fix it so the AoE doesn't proc it.

Tough i dunno if this has already been fixed or anything, been a month already i stopped doing Fractals.

No the other day it had Afflicted, but you just make the most of it. If you have an Alacrigade they can pump out resistance. I was on my Reaper and I just swapped in Spiteful Renewal, Well of Power, and I run Signet of Undeath to stay in Shroud longer at 50% DR. I've completed it with Afflicted and NPNG up, which is even more problematic since I lose the boon strip/corrupt from my weapons.

Stack tight, let your Healbrand sustain you, everyone else make sure to swap traits or utilities for added self sustain, and you win. The only real DPS check is the third invul phase when you have to kill 3 krait channelers - if you take too long on that phase, those conditions will do you in.

This fractal seems to suffer from the following chain of events :1) Nobody cares about underwater combat since there's no content for it and the design isn't that great to say the least.2) People thus do not gear for underwater combat nor learn to play it, and end up either basically mashing all of the buttons or the buttons that seem to do the most damage blindly3) 'Difficulty' due to not being prepared to underwater combat in addition of the fractal mechanics being pretty much uninteresting causes people to hate the few content even more, thus increasing 1), etc.

Fixing this probably requires complete overhaul of underwater combat and cie, so it most probably won't come any time soon. If you are not running T4s with a pretty solid/confident group (Preferably you do CMs before), I'd just recommand skipping this fractal altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...