Open Letter to ArenaNet regarding Server Latency

TheSun.4321

@magnusthorek.8027 said:Just don't forget the problem is with SERVER LATENCY, not Server Latency IN WVW/PVP. PvE is VERY unplayable as well, even while soloing story instances. As I write this I'm trying my last resort reinstalling the entire game because I simply can't do anything in good sync, from skills firing 5s later after used to being unable to mount in the air...

I can't say my real ping because game's info is a liar. It shows me 180-200ms but I could swear it's way more than that.

That sounds like a local problem. I'm doing metas in SW, HoT and personal story with a new character. I hang out in populated places as well as empty ones and usually in PvE unless there are massive numbers of players on a limited area in a map, I don't experience lag. Neither skill lag, nor network lag.In WvW the problem regularly occurs, usually when two big zergs are nearby; three way fights between big groups are basically always problematic. Sometimes (depending on zerg composition, tactical decisions and regarding actions) even 2-way fights are problematic.

If you can't address the problem as it currently is .... why don't we at least to solve the problem by:

• lowering the number of players per map to two-thirds of currently allowed players per map
  • cloning desert and alpine map once more to compensate, thus offering: EB, 2x desert, 3x alpine, thus offering 1/3rd more maps than currently.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@nthmetal.9652 said:

@magnusthorek.8027 said:Just don't forget the problem is with SERVER LATENCY, not Server Latency IN WVW/PVP. PvE is VERY unplayable as well, even while soloing story instances. As I write this I'm trying my last resort reinstalling the entire game because I simply can't do anything in good sync, from skills firing 5s later after used to being unable to mount in the air...

I can't say my real ping because game's info is a liar. It shows me 180-200ms but I could swear it's way more than that.

That sounds like a local problem. I'm doing metas in SW, HoT and personal story with a new character. I hang out in populated places as well as empty ones and usually in PvE unless there are massive numbers of players on a limited area in a map, I don't experience lag. Neither skill lag, nor network lag.In WvW the problem regularly occurs, usually when two big zergs are nearby; three way fights between big groups are basically always problematic. Sometimes (depending on zerg composition, tactical decisions and regarding actions) even 2-way fights are problematic.

If you can't address the problem as it currently is .... why don't we at least to solve the problem by:
  • lowering the number of players per map to two-thirds of currently allowed players per map
  • cloning desert and alpine map once more to compensate, thus offering: EB, 2x desert, 3x alpine, thus offering 1/3rd more maps than currently.

With what you said, i think you're a casual WvW(im not insulting) or you started WvW very recently.

Because splitting pple across maps by adding more maps will create only PvE and less pvp interaction.Moreover actually there is half of serves which are linked together and most of them during daytime there is not that many fights (not as before) so splitting pple and create more maps is one of the worst idea.As start pple comes in WvW for the core gameplay fight and fun with community not for caping tower and getting pips/loots.Your idea is just creating maps like the new one they add in PvE with LS.

As i said i think the issue is that Server cannot handle that ammount of calculation request from spamming boon/heal/dmg (condi and direct) because before we got much more player in WvW and it doesnt lag that much as now.

Fix bad gameplay design less spamming boon, heal and damage (condi/direct) will help a lot.

@Redponey.8352 said:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:No need. I can already tell you it's technical limitations, much like when anything doesn't work.

You have to remember that this game and its apologists always define themselves in what can't be done. If you want less laggy servers, that obviously means that you demand they build a fiber network straight to your house. If you want balance patches, that means you're a malcontent that wants daily updates. So if they do anything, you should be grateful k.

Technical limitations you say? ROFL, completely invalid and false argument.The first 6 years of playing GW2 WvW were perfectly lag-free, with only very rare exceptions of insanely big 3-way massacres around SMC (probably caused because game engine is not developed to take care of 200+ ppl in one small place). Now its laggy as hell even in 20 v 20 fights.

Before: 70 v 70 - no lags at all for 6 yearsAfter: 20 v 20 - laggy as hell

Oh sure, technical limitations .... blatantly lying argument. (Or maybe trolling depreciating attempt, doesnt matter anyway)

//edit: noticed the kappa, but Im still not sure how you meant your post :D

totally agree with you.My PoV is that condi spamming with Hot and PoF has been dramasticly increase. this increase imply more calculation from server's CPU than direct DPS => increase server lag. if you got both Condi/DPS/boon and healing spamming then everything will lag LUL

the WvW structure code has not been design to handle that much spamming from boon, healing and condi/dps spamming.

Not to forget the big Condi balance patch where they even increased the amount of condis you can vomit + the time how long they last. Extremely counterproductive who would have thought that.

@Senqu.8054 said:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:No need. I can already tell you it's technical limitations, much like when anything doesn't work.

You have to remember that this game and its apologists always define themselves in what can't be done. If you want less laggy servers, that obviously means that you demand they build a fiber network straight to your house. If you want balance patches, that means you're a malcontent that wants daily updates. So if they do anything, you should be grateful k.

Technical limitations you say? ROFL, completely invalid and false argument.The first 6 years of playing GW2 WvW were perfectly lag-free, with only very rare exceptions of insanely big 3-way massacres around SMC (probably caused because game engine is not developed to take care of 200+ ppl in one small place). Now its laggy as hell even in 20 v 20 fights.

Before: 70 v 70 - no lags at all for 6 yearsAfter: 20 v 20 - laggy as hell

Oh sure, technical limitations .... blatantly lying argument. (Or maybe trolling depreciating attempt, doesnt matter anyway)

//edit: noticed the kappa, but Im still not sure how you meant your post :D

totally agree with you.My PoV is that condi spamming with Hot and PoF has been dramasticly increase. this increase imply more calculation from server's CPU than direct DPS => increase server lag. if you got both Condi/DPS/boon and healing spamming then everything will lag LUL

the WvW structure code has not been design to handle that much spamming from boon, healing and condi/dps spamming.

Not to forget the big Condi balance patch where they even increased the amount of condis you can vomit + the time how long they last. Extremely counterproductive who would have thought that.

they totally broke their game and it still hasnt a real GvG system. (even Guild hall now arent very used ). Sad story for an MMO that has one of the best gameplay design (so smooth compared to many others mmo).

It is unacceptable that they bury their heads in the sand and pretend that all is well.

The part that truly boggles my mind about this is the fact that the player base is more than willing to work with the devs to help meet the needs. I've never seen such an occurrence in top budget games. The community just wants transparency about what is happening so we can know if we can help. If it's an amazon server issue, then great we can all rally behind that and start working together to get their attention. Money issue? There's been multiple good ideas for solving that. Heck there's even been ideas on fixing the coding of the game to minimize wear on the servers.

The fact is that there's many passionate players who have invested great time, effort, and money into this game mode that are fully willing to work alongside the devs to make a positive change that could benefit more than just this game mode. That's a golden egg right there. Like I've said before, I have never seen that kind of community support to make a fix happen in a triple A title like CoD for example.

@Redponey.8352 said:With what you said, i think you're a casual WvW(im not insulting) or you started WvW very recently.

Neither of the two is the case.

Because splitting pple across maps by adding more maps will create only PvE and less pvp interaction.Moreover actually there is half of serves which are linked together and most of them during daytime there is not that many fights (not as before) so splitting pple and create more maps is one of the worst idea.

Aha. So going for a solution, which leads to groups of a size, where the AoEs, condis and boons cause the server to lag out is a BETTER solution than actually creating an environment, in which you can actually fight? Just the fight won't be 50+ vs 50+ vs 50+ but maybe only 40 vs 40 vs 40 or 30 vs 30. In those situations my experiences with group fights have been quite good.Whereas the 50+ fights always end up with one or both sides going 1-1-1-1 all the time, because nothing else works. Clearly THAT is a great experience for everyone and no one here is crying because of that.

Well, I don't have to understand your reasoning. I do agree that my suggestion is not idea, it's an emergency fix for an emergency situation.

Fix bad gameplay design less spamming boon, heal and damage (condi/direct) will help a lot.

Yes, but this change will also mean facing an overall design change. Designers will have to come up with alternative mechanics to keep things interesting - otherwise you'd just end up with variations of 1-1-1-1 all the time, which is also not very interesting.This design change would also have to be implemented across all game modes, thus possibly making it necessary to rebalance all PvE content. And that with a player base complaining about the cost in general and utterly opposed to the idea of a game going subscription base. I don't see how such an effort can be realistically financed.

Anyone notice more glitching due to bags from down players? I've noticed sometimes getting warped off the edge of things when I receive a bag because it pushes my character a couple of units over when I get a bag. Super annoying when combined with lag too because you can't quite tell if it was the lag and you didn't quite move correctly or if it was a bag that booped you off the edge of something you were standing on.

• 1 month later...

PvE servers lag horribly too and anet expects to release this game on Steam + an expansion with servers lagging like this, lol.

This game will be review bombed off steam and valve will be forced to offer refunds if servers are this bad at steam release.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Prime time is when the most people are using their internet so that's when there is likely to be congestion issues on the networks.Thats not how server lag works.

You’re assuming the issue is the servers themselves.

We know it is since Anet has described the server skill queue not keeping up with the amount of players (hence their solution has been to reduce player counts).

This has nothing to do with prime time however. 50vs50 at 20:00 or 50vs50 at 03:00 is the same scenario for the skill queue.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Prime time is when the most people are using their internet so that's when there is likely to be congestion issues on the networks.Thats not how server lag works.

We know it is since Anet has described the server skill queue not keeping up with the amount of players (hence their solution has been to reduce player counts).

This has nothing to do with prime time however. 50vs50 at 20:00 or 50vs50 at 03:00 is the same scenario for the skill queue.

Source?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Source?

It's not exactly obscure knowledge.

@LetoII.3782 said:

Source?

It's not exactly obscure knowledge.

Then a source for that particular reason should be easy to provide.

@Cynz.9437 said:+1How do you know there is a zerg in map - your skills are not responding. Been like this for years :<for me its only if i am nearby that happening. and at some (lately rare) occasions, all maps have odd lags for no reason. especially during reset/relink/prime

@Ayrilana.1396 they're correct there, this has been mentioned somewhere.

overall, the skill/lag and rubberbands overall have gotten more rare ... but yes, anet should just make the servers less potato. latest with steam release (should that ever come) they'll have to get more or better servers anyways.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:+1How do you know there is a zerg in map - your skills are not responding. Been like this for years :<for me its only if i am nearby that happening. and at some (lately rare) occasions, all maps have odd lags for no reason. especially during reset/relink/prime

@Ayrilana.1396 they're correct there, this has been mentioned somewhere.

overall, the skill/lag and rubberbands overall have gotten more rare ... but yes, anet should just make the servers less potato. latest with steam release (should that ever come) they'll have to get more or better servers anyways.

I’ve been in zerg fights before with no skill lags or anything. I don’t recall ever seeing them give the reason that the poster had given. I’ve seen things that start as a lie or misinterpretation and spread around enough to be taken as if it were fact.